• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I checked, and none of my other GC games have it except for Disc 2 of RE4, which has a very slight case of it with one or two long "veins" running across the white part. Both games have plain black and white labels, with the veins on the white part. A problem with the paint or glue used, I guess?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Planned obsolescence?

tenor.gif

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a used copy years ago, and it sat unplayed until a couple months ago, when I sold it. Discs were still flawless.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
So, this week I decided to sell some stuff and saw that my MGS TTS copy has some kind of "nerves" on both discs.

It is only superficial - both discs play fine. I thought that I was unlucky, because it was my only GC game with this thing on it.

Yesterday, I went to a friend of mine to see if the discs were working (I sold my GC and Wii already). To my surprise, his copy also had this nerves thing. Also, it was his only copy with this problem.

So, I want to see if this is a trend: do you have it? If yes, check it out.

ul1uZjc.jpg

Yeah, my Disc 1 has the same issue. This is apparently really common with that specific title.

My disc are ok , but this is probably the work of the Nanomachines , fox die is deadleir than i thought

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
My copy has the same issue. I read about it years ago, too. It's weird. Only game I know that has this issue. The label eventually started to flake off, which is bad as it can render the disk unreadable I believe as the data is stored on the other side of the label I think. It's literally clear in spots where it's flaked off. (might be wrong)

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Mine was like this a year ago, I thought it was cracked and wouldn't work. Surprised to see how common this is.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I see people referring to these as veins, are they just cosmetic cracks on the top print layer or actual cracks in the plastic/disc?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I checked, and none of my other GC games have it except for Disc 2 of RE4, which has a very slight case of it with one or two long "veins" running across the white part. Both games have plain black and white labels, with the veins on the white part. A problem with the paint or glue used, I guess?

why does this happen?

My guess would be some kind of non-standard label printing process that's perishing over time. It's also quite a lot of label compared to other GC games that usually relied on one color and a decent amount of exposed shiny disc, so that could be exacerbating it.

Oct 25, 2017
You people are going to freak when those veins start pumping.

What, you think you were done with Shadow Moses? Kojima is the man who wanted discs to explode when your character died. He knew what he was doing here. You need to go back Snake. Back to where, and when it all started.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
So, this week I decided to sell some stuff and saw that my MGS TTS copy has some kind of "nerves" on both discs.

It is only superficial - both discs play fine. I thought that I was unlucky, because it was my only GC game with this thing on it.

Yesterday, I went to a friend of mine to see if the discs were working (I sold my GC and Wii already). To my surprise, his copy also had this nerves thing. Also, it was his only copy with this problem.

So, I want to see if this is a trend: do you have it? If yes, check it out.

ul1uZjc.jpg

I have this on my disc 1. I think that its a common thing for these. Works though.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked and yeah both discs of mine have a couple small but noticeable ones. No other GCN disc I have is like it though. Weird!

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I checked all my discs and apparently I'm missing 3 of them. RIP Windwaker, Metroid Prime, Symphonia Disc 2. No cracks though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd let a friend who loved MGS borrow mine, asked him and he confirmed "Yep."

Only game with them.

He also said "I've played the game so many times that my Wii bored a nice ring into Disc 1 so it doesn't actually play anymore." Which... cool. It's been at least a decade since I played it.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my US region discs, no cracks. Could usage be a factor? The discs have sat on my shelf for years barely used.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, thanks for the psa OP. I gave Twin Snakes to a friend of mine some years ago so I don't have it anymore but the thread reminded me to check my other gamecube games. I was particularly afraid that Resi 4 which has a similar looking disc to MGS would be in that condition but thankfully the discs are still looking normal.

I keep them in a closed cabinet so I don't know if that had some effect on them or not (I'm from Brazil too).

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I have only one Gamecube game with this problem, it's the Mario Kart Double Dash bonus disc, the disk of the game itself is intact and all my other GC games are fine too:

arrs9kp.jpg

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I got a little one on disc 1.

pDvod5C.jpg

I have like 80+ GCN games so I'm not gonna check all of them. I checked all my 2-disc games, though, and this was the only game that had this.

Mithos

Oct 27, 2017
Checked both discs (and all other games, ~40) not a single problem whatsoever, looks brand new. (All Games bought from USA/Canada)

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The power within can't be contained. It senses the demise of Kojima and is attempting to break free and avenge Kojima by defeating Konami, only then will true balance be restored to the force.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
When i had that game i had copy that looked like that.

Hell I got it super chaep on ebay at the time BECAUSE it looked like that. I always wondered why that happened to the discs

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Mine has that on either disc 1 or 2. I remember it happening a few years ago.

Glad I have my Wii U hacked and ripped my copy from the Wii just fine.