• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Mute Everyone In MP?

• Yes

Votes: 453 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 7.3%
  • I give them a chance

Votes: 142 18.1%
  • I stick to private chats with my friends

Votes: 133 16.9%

• Total voters

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Age based matchmaking is an interesting idea. Most people that spazz out in a game from my personal experience lean towards the younger side. On the other had, if its like a fps on PC and you're on a team with a bunch of old farts, you'll probably get bopped by the younger teams lol.
Totally fine with never winning another match if I never have to hear players suffering from juvenile garbage mouth syndrome ever again.

I used to play on a dedicated TF2 server that was mostly 35+ in age (with the median age probably closer to 45) and I had such a great time regardless of how I performed. I miss that.

Playing with young kids just feels weird after you've past a certain age threshold. E.g. I wouldn't go out and play basketball with a bunch of kids I didn't know, and I'm sure their parents wouldn't want me doing that either. It's a weird problem specific to gaming.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
In Siege I mute text chat from the start until I want to hear a response to my toxic comments

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The first thing I do when I start a multiplayer game is check if there's a mute all setting. I played CoD with a mic on for years so I did my time.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
In competitive games, I give people a chance, especially because I play Overwatch and communication means a better chance at victory.

But if you gunk up comms with useless shit, it's a mute.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yup. I usually also go into settings and set voice volume to 0 just in case I forget to mute people specifically.

Dec 20, 2018
Some of the coolest people I met and still talk to come from random voice chat in games so nah. It's also always hella entertaining whether they're raging or not.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I give everyone a chance, especially when I solo in Overwatch but make a dummy out of yourself or if warned by another teammate, then bye. I've honestly had a pretty good experience with voice chat recently. Guess I've been lucky.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Always. I rarely have a game of Overwatch or TF2 where people aren't either being assholes or talking over each other, so I much prefer being able to hear the in-game audio than hear somebody complain about a teammate's hero choices.

The number of times I was able to save my team from a sneaky Pharah ult 'cause I could hear her jump jets is way more than from somebody's call-out.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Depends on the game. Hunt Showdown? Never. COD? Always. Apex Legends...sometimes. Gears...sometimes.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I take it a step further. If you're not on my friends list you cannot contact me in any way , message or voice chat . Unless the game has a text chat or something but even then I won't respond , just read .

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Depends on the game. For Call of Duty, voice isn't really needed. For something like Siege, it's absolutely needed.

Having said that, some of my favorite online moments have been because of random voice chat. During the early 360 days, it was the best. Halo 3 led to a lot of great moments.

I remember playing a rocket race in Halo 3 when my friend decided get off the quad bike and leg it to the finish line. Some other guy saw him and said "Dude's makin' a run for it" and then started to laugh. The entire chat lost it, and both my friend and I were in tears. I also remember doing another race when some guy was hit with a rocket while trying to make a jump. As he was hit he actually yells "Weeeeee", we again lost it and had tears in our eyes trying to complete the race. Finally, I remember playing during the Halo 3 beta and lobbying up with some randoms who were equally as bad as me at the game (I was fairly new to console shooters). We could not make it pass rank 1 so we would chant "We're #1" at the lobby.

A few years ago I remember play Day of Defeat Source on PC and someone was giving use the Bill Pullman Independence Day speech to rile us because we were losing. We ended up winning :). It's unfortunate at how toxic chat has become over the years, and I miss moments like these.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Cod? Yup mics should just be muted by default. Battlefield? Nah. It's rare that Im in a squad with anyone talking anyway. But when I'm in one it's usually a couple people actually working together and rarely some dipshit just mouthing off.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, i want to hear the game, not someone trying to say something, or their TV, or their mom, or anything really. So i disable that the first time i launch a game.

Not that i play many multiplayer games anyway, but those i do, i have no need to hear anyone.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Era: People nowadays don't ever talk in games.

Also Era: Do you mute everyone before the game even starts?

To answer your question no and such a thing would never even cross my mind.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
i usually don't mute + i have my mic set up
sometimes it helps to talk to people that behave at initial glance like anti-social idiots

in my experience, some of them are just as disappointed in the other players as oneself is and are also looking to play a good game with good teamplayers. sometimes they just want to mess about, which is okay, because i also sometimes just want to mess about, thus i join them and generally have a good time.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Usually, yes. In games like Fortnite when I'm playing STW or Team Rumble, it's a must. For Overwatch, I give some people a chance. If they demand someone pick a specific character, get loud, is a kid, or have music playing in the background, they instantly get muted.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mute unless someone gives me reason to mute. But when they do, that's that.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Wish I could answer "yes, I stick to private calls with friends" because any in game chat option is immediately disabled, but I chat with my friends over discord. I'm a woman who has a hearing loss that affects my ability to detect audio cues like footsteps, don't really want to deal with people being salty piss babies when I'm just trying to go bang bang shooty shoot with my friends.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
muting by default is ... kinda bizarre to me

i can understand certain instances but for the most part i dunno

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
You get a lot of people that seemingly just talk to themselves, they get muted straight away. Likewise people playing music, or kids.

If people are arguing (because it's funny) or actually communicating teamwork, then I wont mute them.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If someone is talking and is an ahole, yes. Otherwise, most of the time, nobody even talks. I don't when I'm not with my coworkers/friends.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I mure everyone. I can never hear anything other than garbled noise and maybe their music in the background while they try to say indistinguishable words. It is rubbish.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing ranked valorant recently and I'm not good. Anyway, I give people a chance, but you can usually tell in the first few minutes and if people are screaming or doing weird impressions or moaning already they get muted instantly. Same goes for people that complain we are losing badly when only 3-1 down and they have 0 kills and 4 deaths. They want out of the game instead of fighting back and become toxic so they get a swift mute too.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
If I chat myself it usually in a party but when I'm alone playing with randoms; see below

In this generation I don't hear as many people online? In PS360 era EVERYONE was mic'd up. I hear people mostly when playing Forza Motorsport 7 and it's absolutely hilarious to hear people rage :D

So I give people a chance. If they sing or scream/yell into the mic constantly I mute that one person.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I only play Battlefield on PC and so don't need to mute anyone as no one uses voice chat anyway.
But I do hide the text chat by default. And if people did use voice chat I'd mute that by default as well.
I'd do the same in all other games, assuming communication isn't basically required.

I'd guess about 60% of public chat communication is some sort of worthless, and 50% of that is toxic.
It's just not worth it. I don't want to listen to random assholes. Just hush them and turn them into dynamic bots.

Last edited:

HDNA

Oct 27, 2017
The moment i hear a voice or a cough im like "shit, how do you mute everyone in this game"

Bakuryu

Oct 29, 2017
I keep team quick chat in Rocket League. That's it. Have never been a fan of chatting to anyone, not even friends in online games. Not a massive fan of online games regardless.

Naru

May 11, 2019
First thing I in every CoD and FPS multiplayer game:
1. disable voice chat
2. disable text chat

The only things to keep playing and stay sane.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't mute them, I go to the settings and change voice volume to 0.

Not just because rude people but because a lot of games still to the thing in which it auto enables in-game voice communications causing everyone to loop and hear themselves and double because everyone pretty much uses third person software.

Feb 24, 2018
Unless it's friends I know and trust, mute by default, been burned too many times and heard too much garbage online.

Seriously, ranked modes became WAY MORE FUN when I don't have to here that abuse, bigotry and "orders" by "real players". And screw people who try to shame those for not having a mic, this has been an issue for decades now that devs haven't found good solutions especially when you don't get the same abuse many of us have to,