Do You Know the Insane Story of Marathon by Bungie?

• Of course I do!

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Those games before Halo? Pffft, no!

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
With all the Marathon news that's been hitting lately, as well as an impending re-release of the first game on Steam, I thought I would go back and learn about the series that predated Halo. And oh boy.

View: https://youtu.be/f9H1fMIFGyc?feature=shared

This channel has 3 fantastic videos, each detailing the story of one entry of the trilogy. It starts out simple enough as a lone space marine battling aliens. But even by the end of the first game, the scale of the story reaches to the death of the universe. By the end of the second, you have Lovecraftian horrors trapped in a literal Sun that escapes after a galaxy destroying weapon is unleashed. If you love sci-fi then you owe it to yourself to watch these or play the games yourself! It's also cool to see Bungie's recurring themes of AI rampancy, weapons of galactic destruction, lone space marines, etc. start here. Granted, most of the story is told through textboxes on terminals in the middle of levels. But it's trying dammit, especially with the fidelity of a game from 1994 that's technically not even 3D.

The prospects of going back and playing can be rough, after all I bounced off of the first game last summer. But I want to try again now that I know how great the story is. And with a Steam release that hopefully doesn't need to be somewhat tinkered with like the Aleph 1 versions (which are free and still great!) I'm excited for Marathon all over again.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Marathon was basically my childhood. I remember poring over the story "wiki" (before Wikis were even a thing) for hours in grade seven.

It goes insanely deep and hard.

When my ship still answered to the Pfhor, they called it Sfiera after their goddess of lightning and passion. When you helped us take control on Tau Ceti, the S'pht rechristened it Narhl'Lar, 'Freedom and Vengeance'.

I call it Boomer.

M2.04.3.2.1.gif

Durandal rules so much. We need a proper SP game in this universe.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm so pumped for the Steam release, and I dearly hope we get some modern console releases too. Marathon's a hell of a series.

I'm also very excited for the extraction shooter. I hope they knock it outta the park.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
ihavebee}rolandbeowulfachil!esgilgameshiha
vebeencalleda[undrednamesandwillbecalledat
housandmorebeforetheworldgoesdimandcoldiam
%hero

OP
OP
Pyro

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Marathon was basically my childhood. I remember poring over the story "wiki" (before Wikis were even a thing) for hours in grade seven.

It goes insanely deep and hard.

M2.04.3.2.1.gif

Durandal rules so much. We need a proper SP game in this universe.

I giggled when the video went over Durandal's ship name.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Bounced off the first Marathon last year after some of the secret areas put you in a dead end. And in case you were wondering if these were bugs, this is the terminal in the secret area of "Smells Like Napalm, Tastes Like Chicken".

U.E.S.C. Marathon
Service Access 31-b<39.592.29.95>

<durandal.652.586.34.2>

Here I am, sulking about on a ship which used to be my slave.
Chased by a narrow-minded AI who thinks I'm rampant with only
the cybernetic toys of these so-called invaders to play with.

And here you are, stuck at the bottom of a hole. How droll.
It's really too bad- we could have had so much fun together.

Vale,
Durandal

U.E.S.C. Marathon

Now you know why Doom is better.

OP
OP
Pyro

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Bounced off the first Marathon last year after some of the secret areas put you in a dead end. And in case you were wondering if these were bugs, this is the terminal in the secret area of "Smells Like Napalm, Tastes Like Chicken".

U.E.S.C. Marathon

<durandal.652.586.34.2>

Here I am, sulking about on a ship which used to be my slave.
Chased by a narrow-minded AI who thinks I'm rampant with only
the cybernetic toys of these so-called invaders to play with.

And here you are, stuck at the bottom of a hole. How droll.
It's really too bad- we could have had so much fun together.

Vale,
Durandal

U.E.S.C. Marathon

Now you know why Doom is better.

I love that though? It's bad but also hilarious and endearing because that'd get taken out nowadays in most games.