• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you were a computer gamer in the West in the '80s, you're probably familiar with Epyx and their iconic box art. I love a lot of it but I'm also curious what people that didn't grow up with this stuff think of it.

epyx.jpg

72943-winter-games-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

80290-impossible-mission-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

161959-robots-of-dawn-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

pitstop.jpg

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit, they're beautiful.

The stark contrast between bright neon and dark colors really attracts me. I love it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is "Strategy Games for the Action Game Player" supposed to mean?

I am kind of curious what Oil Barons was like. It includes a board game?

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I've never seen these before!

They're absolutely gorgeous. Love them!

I'm honestly surprised I've never seen these featured on an article or video or whatever before, considering how often old game box art is featured/laughed at/idolized.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I like how they balanced their neon outline theme with the marketing need to have a full-color picture of Barbie for the box art.

I also like how they call it and the GI Joe game "Computer Activity Toys." Because "video games" rot kids brains, I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is "Strategy Games for the Action Game Player" supposed to mean?

I am kind of curious what Oil Barons was like. It includes a board game?
"Strategy Games for the Action Game Player" sort of applies to some of their games but not others. Impossible Mission is platforming mixed with puzzle elements, Apshai is action mixed with RPG (there weren't as many games that mixed those genres at the time), Puzzle Panic mixes puzzles and reflexes.

Oil Barons is video/board game hybrid. It might be Epyx's least impressive game graphically.
en.wikipedia.org

Oil Barons - Wikipedia

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Never seen those before as I came to the PC side of gaming well into the 90's but yes, those are all absolutely fantastic.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I grew up with it and I don't like it, although it was well illustrated compared to all the aerographed child drawings you found on game covers (mega man nes)

I have zero nostalgia for the 80's and i'm really tired of being fed this aesthetic in a never ending revival. It was a bad time in my youth and everything from this time period makes me cringe and takes me to shitty memories.

Same for the music, fucking hate vapourwave and it's endless variations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get it. The worst years of my life were in the '90s so sometimes stuff from that era triggers shitty memories but I usually try to separate the popular culture from it.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Blue and Orange goes a long way...

But I like them now, don't think I would like those as a kid.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Oh man,thanks for this OP.Nostalgia overload!!
Every weekend my friends would come round to my house and we'd binge on Summer Games 1/2 and Winter Games on my C64.
We destroyed so many joysticks playing those games,lol.....haven't seen those boxarts for years.Great memories!

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved them, and most of the games too. Remember getting this turkey for christmas though:

Hot_Wheels_1984.jpg

Shame Epyx abandoned the neon covers from '86 with the releases of World Games and Super Cycle.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, those are lovely.

I actually like 'em a lot more now than when I was a kid. I dunno, box art nowadays is a bit boring/safe, and these stylised covers are quite striking.

I thought I knew them all, but I've never seen that Robots of Dawn one. Nice!

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah, now you're talking. Epyx and Activision back in the Atari 2600 days had some great graphic design on their packaging.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed they didn't use the original art for the box of the Switch version of Impossible Mission (which includes the C64 game).

It would have been nicer than this:
71ILjuBwyrL._SL1500_.jpg