• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Enderal is absolutely fantastic. It is a massive 100+ hour RPG with excellent exploration, world building, quest design and balance.

And- it is totally free (if you own the original non-SE Skyrim). It doesn't even require Skyrim to be installed, just present in your library. It installs as a separate game.

Get it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

It is a Skyrim "mod", but it is an almost completely new game:

The landmass is massive and totally original. Much like Gothic, everything is hand placed and exploration is very rewarding. You can find all sorts of little shrines, camps and whatnot in the wilderness while poking around.

All dungeons are also hand crafted with hand-placed loot specific for the difficulty of the dungeon.

The progression system is totally reworked. No longer do you gain skills by using them, you need to find or purchase "skill books" to level up the skills.

There is no level scaling on the enemies. The developers have meticulously created each encounter to challenge you throughout the entire game as your skills ramps up. The game is pretty difficult at first, requiring good planning and strategy.

Loot is, again, hand placed and always meaningful. Getting a new piece of equipment really means something.

The economy is not broken. The developers have balanced everything so you are constantly engaged and rewarded as you gain loot and sell it off through the entirety of the game. This ties in very well with skill progression being cash based.

There is a long main quest, and tons of side quests and content that you stumble across as you explore the continent.

There is no fast travel. Initially you can pay to use these strange lion bird things (think stiltwalkers) to go between towers spread over the continent. Later, you can buy scrolls to teleport you to various towns, and also get a mark/return spell that you can set yourself anywhere.

There are several different biomes around the continent. European style forests, Mediterranean coasts, jungles, swamps and deserts.

There are also several graphical enhancement mods baked into the release. The game can be really good looking at times (much better than Skyrim).

It is also fully voice acted, and almost all the actors are surprisingly good.

Some screens:

ss_9985d68550b049ce0439a39acd986d2bc260bdd9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ad6fcff442a1b7de3e9651039941761e7eb66e94.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9935a2fd9a842b6ee89ff05bd7f0a1b8c655dbe6.1920x1080.jpg

yRRnr4E.jpg

I really don't understand how this thing was created. It is better than almost everything Bethesda has put out on both a systems and scope basis. Amazing job by the team.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
You said the G word, which got my attention.
Though I admit that I've heard some good things about this for a while now. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to check it out soon.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Amen, n'wah!

Though tonally, don't expect quite the same esoteric quality as Morrowind. It is, however, one of the most fun/engaging WRPGs in the past five years -- not just with respect to it being a total conversion mod.

But out of RPGs, in general. It deserves that much attention, imo, despite still being quite overlooked (for some fair reason, at times -- it can be a big and long download, and was a particularly unstable hassle in its early rollout).

It even won an award at the Game Awards -- to a criminally quiet reception, since there was a misunderstanding as to how it was to be provided (aka behind the scenes, Governor Awards style, fella! Ha! Ah. [sigh])

Especially if you don't mind the paint of a Bethesda game, tweaked and refined to a superior degree.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I *really* want play this, but only have a mac. How hard will this be to get running?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm still early in the game, but yeah it's a pretty solid RPG with decent writing and voice acting. The game starts quite slowly with a long tutorial phase. It finally opens up after you reach the first town, where you'll get numerous side quests from the town folks and so on. Though most of the time, it still looks and feels like Skyrim. Visuals aren't as good as a fully modded Skyrim, and the combat is more or less still the same, even though they completely revamped the character progression system.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is surprisingly solid given its scope.
Yep, for sure. This is a little self-serving, but I wrote about it here last week: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/832...-skyrim-it-s-a-damn-good-rpg-in-its-own-right

I did NOT expect such a compelling, character-driven story out of a Skyrim mod.

it's a little buggy, yes. Make sure to up the memory usage in the launcher and enable UseOSAllocators=1
ok cool, definitely sounds like a well designed RPG

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Damn, I think I technically have both Skyrims, but don't want to have both installed at the same time.
Next time, Enderal.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I think I technically have both Skyrims, but don't want to have both installed at the same time.
Next time, Enderal.

You don't need to install Skyrim at all.

This is a completely separate self-contained Steam game. If you have Skyrim in your library, you can download Enderal.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this existed. Thanks for letting me know!

I DO have the right Skyrim version in my Steam library so - zoinks!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played it 2-3 hours back in the days but just couldn't get into it. Im just so sick of Bethesda engine I think, not that the mod is bad

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I *really* want play this, but only have a mac. How hard will this be to get running?

Frankly I do not know, from what I could recollect the original mod release had some issues on a Mac, but maybe this official Steam launch has the virtue of supported patches..? May have to look into some of the info they've disclosed later...

I'm sold, but I hope that I don't have to use magic.

One could get by with an iron sword for a good chunk, at least. :p

Anyway. Just wanted to say.

Jespar > Lydia.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Was worried about the writing and character building but I'll have to give a go with all of the positive impressions, even if it's built on the bones of a horrible engine.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think I finished it a long while ago?
Was the story about
A cycle of being people being sacrificed to gods and only a magic machine could stop it? And the main character had flashbacks of burning their own house down?

I think it was alright but still pretty much Skyrim at heart. Nothing will ever come close to Gothic again. Which is unfortunate, there are so few non-isometric RPGs anymore...

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Frankly I do not know, from what I could recollect the original mod release had some issues on a Mac, but maybe this official Steam launch has the virtue of supported patches..? May have to look into some of the info they've disclosed later...

Thanks, I'll try this on the Windows version of Steam (Which I can use via PlayOnMac.) I'll try to update if it works unless I forget!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
"Do you like Morrowind.."
I feel like that's an underhanded tactic, it's like asking if we like breathing or food :)

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have modded Skyrim. Will this be a problem if I wanted to play "vanilla" Enderal? Would I have to turn off my mods?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still early in the game, but yeah it's a pretty solid RPG with decent writing and voice acting. The game starts quite slowly with a long tutorial phase. It finally opens up after you reach the first town, where you'll get numerous side quests from the town folks and so on. Though most of the time, it still looks and feels like Skyrim. Visuals aren't as good as a fully modded Skyrim, and the combat is more or less still the same, even though they completely revamped the character progression system.

tenor.gif

Hard pass. I played modded Skyrim with Enaison's perk tree mod and I still could not get over the shit combat. Feels like a piece of my soul dies every time I try to engage in fights.

Maybe I might be tempted to try when I am aching for a good RPG to play and there is nothing else out there but lets hope it never comes to that.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
Nah.

Tried it and loved the introduction, the perk system and the ambientation.

But it's still Skyrim "combat". Sure, modded and changed, but the AI of the enemies is bland, with horrible, annoying pacing. Landing hits gives you 0 feedback.

The initial difficulty is brutal and, while I can understand that, given the Gothic inspiration, the lack of information through combat is not helpful (did I died because they hit me on a vital spot? was that a crit? was it because another enemy who I didn't saw was already hitting me? or was it simply because I ventured too far into a high level zone?).

Being said that, if you can ignore or even tolerate this issues, Enderal is a wrpg dream. I am terribly frustrated by the fact that I can't stand anymore the Skyrim gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
I looooooooove Gothic I and II. But I haven't been pc gaming for many many years. It's all about consoles for me.

Damn :(

I'd play this otherwise.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uhh wild question. Anyone know if it works with Skyrim VR? Guessing no. I'll play it either way as it just seems to be what I need to scratch that itch. But I'm curious.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Enderal is a fantastic game and everyone interested in RPGs should give it a try. Yes, the combat is basically Skyrims, but the world, story and characters make absolutely up for that and then some.
While i generally agree with the Gothic and Morrowind comparisons i think people who like Bioware RPGs should really try it. It is extremely Story focussed and even comes with Romance options etc. Very well made ones at that.
Absolutely crazy that this is a free mod/game.

Oct 25, 2017
I always get excited when Bethesda releases a new Elders Scrolls game w/ supporting mod tools for their new engine..............b/c that means that in about 3-4 years, I will get to play a masterpiece crafted by this SureAI team.

Took a little longer b/c of the expanded content and compatibility concern w/ Skyrim special edition, but the wait is finally over. Now how to find the time for this, Sekiro and Kingdom Hearts 3?.......................

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I really want to try this at some point when I have time to dedicate to it. Heard lots of good things about it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm still baffled this is entirely FREE. These guys have proven themselves with Nehrim before. They can have a standalone release on Steam. The Forgotten City now comes to Xbox One, too. I really hope Enderal can as well. I should really donate a bit of my money to this team. They should consider making their own stuff and have a living of it from now on. Between CrossCode, ELEX and Enderal, some good games coming from Germany again AT LAST.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Gothic and Morrowind? Sounds too good to be true.

How come that Steam only recommend me the same old shite but not something like this!? Will try it out. Thanks for the info!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep this in mind.

Do the developers have any plans on making the mod compatible with the SE?

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
it's a little buggy, yes. Make sure to up the memory usage in the launcher and enable UseOSAllocators=1
I played it maybe nine months ago and unfortunately it was incredibly crashy and basically impossible to play for any significant amount of time. Will have to check it out again, this stuff is my jam.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I played it maybe nine months ago and unfortunately it was incredibly crashy and basically impossible to play for any significant amount of time. Will have to check it out again, this stuff is my jam.

It is a lot more stable in the Steam release. I still get a few crashes to desktop when loading between buildings in the main city, but it is much better than it's initial state.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm currently playing Enderal. It is such an awesome experience. They changed the gameplay so much that it never felt like a mod on a Skyrim engine. More like it's own thing.

It has a good story and quests, well-written dialogues, memorable characters, rich lore and outstanding level design. What is really cool that game rewards player for exploration in a similar matter to a Gothic series, where it has a lot of smaller places to visit that aren''t related to quests or any side-activities.

I was also suprised how big and well-designed Ark was when compared to major cities Bethesda did in Skyrim. If you like open-world story-driven RPGs, you should definitely try it.