• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how open ended is this? heard it's rather linear which has been keeping me off

You can explore a lot, but it clearly corrals you to solve some main quests. So no "never learning how to dragon shout for 70 hours" sorts of wandering, but it's hardly exactly linear.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The frame rate is still a serious problem and dips into the 20s if you're looking in a certain direction. This badly needs a Special Ed. port.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is it from the same developers of Nehrim? Because I liked it much more than Oblivion.
Yes.

how open ended is this? heard it's rather linear which has been keeping me off
It's only linear at the first couple hours or so, the tutorial area. As soon as you reach the first town, and especially the main city, the game really opens up.

The frame rate is still a serious problem and dips into the 20s if you're looking in a certain direction. This badly needs a Special Ed. port.
Yeah, the game is very demanding for what it is.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded this based on this thread and am really surprised by how much polish it has, plus the VO work is much better than I expected. I think I downloaded this when it got its initial release awhile back and don't recall it looking nearly as good, I'm guessing stuff like the ENB additions were added later. This definitely seems like something I could get lost in. Also, really like the choice of not shoving the camera right in front of every npc's face like Bethesda does during dialogue, it really allows the scene to breathe and makes it more atmospheric too. The scene with the two apothecarii felt a lot more natural and cinematic as a result. Characters seem stronger so far than Bethesda's too. I can like actually see myself giving a shit about some of these people lol. Excited to dive into it more later.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
The main quest and character design are a leg up over Skyrim in every way. It is its most immediately apparent quality, actually. The story and writing are moodier and more intimate, sure, but also consistently paying off your investment in earnest ways. Which is to say it does take itself really seriously, but does so with mostly steady footing.

As for openness, it is not on the same scale as Skyrim (what game is?), and in that respect it may feel a little linear. But it's still based on the Bethesda foundation, which, by virtue of that alone and as touched upon by the OP, makes it more open, immersive, and fun to explore than most current AAA RPGs on the market, Gothic vibes ahoy. But no, there won't be the same sheer breadth of things to sink your time into or biomes to navigate; alternatively, it does try to keep things interesting enough in the primary narrative to keep you chugging it along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

I found that the worst performing area is near the first merchant you meet that is sitting on a bench near a castle.

There are a few areas in Ark as well as an area of a dungeon that can dip as well.

However, after playing for 50 hours I've found the performance outside of those areas to be decent.

They really should have optimized that first area though because it is so early in the game it makes you think the entire game is going to be a huge resource hog.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
could you explain how to do this?

"You can use the normal Skyrim driver setting (on NV) to force transparency supersampling. It (expectedly) is a massive difference for foliage quality. "
Well, first you need to turn on MSAA (e.g. 4xMSAA) in the game launcher. (I'd also turn off FXAA)
And then you do this:
skyrim_tssaazik9q.png

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I hope that one day the guys at SureAI will be able to make their own standalone game, both Nehrim and Enderal were great but they are being held back by the Elder Scrolls' engines.

If the Forgotten City was able to pull it off I hope they will be able to as well.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I hope that one day the guys at SureAI will be able to make their own standalone game, both Nehrim and Enderal were great but they are being held back by the Elder Scrolls' engines.

If the Forgotten City was able to pull it off I hope they will be able to as well.

I too would love to see a proper game realizing their full creative potential, but it is quite another territorial ballpark to attempt a completely new game on that scale from scratch. I know the Forgotten City author ended up making his own game, but judging from that quest mod alone, the setting is deliberately (and smartly) minimalistic. Accruing the budget and assets for a AAA-level open world like Enderal will have a backpack of bricks ridin' on it. But of course, if they were given the budget and the resources, it would be a doozy!!

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you reminded me of Gothic 1 & 2. So ahead of their time.
I must have spent thousands of hours in those.

Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded this based on this thread and am really surprised by how much polish it has, plus the VO work is much better than I expected. I think I downloaded this when it got its initial release awhile back and don't recall it looking nearly as good, I'm guessing stuff like the ENB additions were added later. This definitely seems like something I could get lost in. Also, really like the choice of not shoving the camera right in front of every npc's face like Bethesda does during dialogue, it really allows the scene to breathe and makes it more atmospheric too. The scene with the two apothecarii felt a lot more natural and cinematic as a result. Characters seem stronger so far than Bethesda's too. I can like actually see myself giving a shit about some of these people lol. Excited to dive into it more later.

They do a lot of this stuff. NPCs will walk around, lean into tables and do other scripted activities when talking to you.

It is especially well done in the scenes with multiple characters seated and standing around a large briefing table.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I feel bad for the people that are starting at Enderal: Forgotten Stories because they're missing out on some of the top tier shitty voice acting from the original.

Perry Simm

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I loved Skyrim, but after playing Enderal I could never go back. Enderal is basically Skyrim: New Vegas.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if I love Gothic but can't stand Morrowind? What should I do? Download the game but not play it, maybe?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Might as well add my voice to the recommendations of Enderal as well.

Been playing it for quite a bit now and I sometimes find myself staying up waaaaay too late in the night playing. This mod sucks you in damn hard. Love SureAIs work since Nehrim for Oblivion and this is their best work yet. Hope to see more from them sometime in the future as well.

The voice acting can be a bit choppy sometimes but I genuinely like the writing and story in my 58 hours so far into the game, even found myself on the verge of tears at times. The combat is Skyrim-ish but I'll live with that as long as I get to experience more of the story, which says a lot since I didn't wanna go through much of that in Skyrim.

As for the world of Enderal, fuckin' love it. Such craftmanship.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Nehrim is fantastic as well, though it has lots of very scary spiders in it for some reason.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this was a standalone product on Steam thanks to, I think, Brodule (mod channel on YouTube) and grabbed it. Haven't started yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I loved Skyrim, but after playing Enderal I could never go back. Enderal is basically Skyrim: New Vegas.
Lol yeah, this is probably the best and simplest way to describe Enderal.

Also, SureAI's dungeon design puts everything that Bethesda has done to shame.
Indeed. Even the earlier dungeons are already more complex than most of Skyrim. Branching paths, dead ends, verticality, and all that.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its an amazing mod. Like a whole new game. Voice acting was top notch as well. I put like 70 hours into it, then my hard drive failed :( no cloud save and I don't have the heart to begin anew.

I highly recommend it.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be all over it as soon as there is a way to play it in VR with motion controls. With SE edition getting SKSE support I hope there will be a port soon, although I'm not aware of any announced projects.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be all over it as soon as there is a way to play it in VR with motion controls. With SE edition getting SKSE support I hope there will be a port soon, although I'm not aware of any announced projects.

Apparently none of the devs have a VR headset.

I would be more than willing to throw a couple bucks at them to get one if it was crowd funded.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is just starting and finding it tough, there's a spell book to summon a skeleton helper early on (not sure where exactly I found it). Dude wrecks shit, even without any skill points. He's slow and brittle but will 1-2 kill a lot of the early enemies that can do a number on you.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
so I have purewaters installed (which works with enderal) but this cant be right... i thought the water would look better than this?

hbyBD5N.jpg

NmPJcoa.jpg

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
all right all right all right I installed it last night. I might hit it up for half an hour this morning before work if I get a minute. Don't pressure me!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying it a lot so far, with the singular exception that the early game has some beeeeeefy enemies as a melee character.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Enjoying it a lot so far, with the singular exception that the early game has some beeeeeefy enemies as a melee character.
I'm not sure about vanilla Enderal, but I use this mod from the start. The balancing sounds pretty good so I just went with it (it also addresses your complaint about beefy enemies, for example). I died quite a lot but it's not impossible. I always managed to come through later after rethinking my strategy in approaching the encounter.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1655220911
Difficulties no longer drastically change the damage multipliers and only change the damage of enemies
Fixed Problems with high damage multipliers/health on many enemies
All actions cost stamina. 70% or more stamina = damage bonus, 30% or less = damage reduction
Blocking with shields or weapons is much more efficient, heavy shield bash is now available
Heavy Armor is better but will slow the wearer and will increase mana cost for spells
Followers like Calia/Jespar are no longer invincible and will fall down if they would die

AI reacts better, attacks/blocks more frequently
Archers now use Arrows and will switch to melee weapons if needed
Certain creatures (like Bears and Trolls) will knockback the player with some attacks if the player isn't blocking
Undead have drastically increased armor and resistances. Added new silver weapons, silver arrows
Ghosts have drastically increased resistances. Bypass it with silver weapons or with a new consumable called "Ghost Curse"
More diversity between creatures. Some Examples:

Mud Golems (Troll Template) regenerate Health very slowly and have increased resistances
Steppe Crusher (Deer Template) are more aggressive and have a new attack pattern
Boneshredder (Vatyr Template) are slower and have increased armor, magic/poison resistances
Crystal Elementals (Frost Elemental Template) have new resistances, no longer deal frost damage in an AoE around them, removed frost FX
Spiders have different poisons (slow, paralyze or increased damage poisons) and big spiders will knock the player back
Giants, Bears, Spiders, Trolls, Mud Golems have new attack patterns
Starling Guardians use their crossbow, Starling Centurios use their steam breath

35 new Potions/Poisons and rebalanced the others (in most cases they are stronger now)
25 completely new Spells (many of them didn't even exist in Skyrim)
Manacost is drastically increased, Manacost reduction perks are now mandatory to properly cast spells
Completely rebalanced elemental spells. Some spells were just much better than others of the same rank.

Removed Secure Chests and many hints that had unimmersive or simply too much information
Stealth/Pickpocketing/Lockpicking rebalanced and overall made harder
Loot is much more diverse. Animals/Creatures will drop appropriate items
Many, many other changes. More informations are below and in the changelog

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about vanilla Enderal, but I use this mod from the start. The balancing sounds pretty good so I just went with it (it also addresses your complaint about beefy enemies, for example). I died quite a lot but it's not impossible. I always managed to come through later after rethinking my strategy in approaching the encounter.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1655220911

My main issue is I don't understand if there's any way to actually avoid attacks or if I gotta do a skyrim style stick-bashing fight. 'Cause blocking doesn't really do shit 'til I get more block skill I assume.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Indeed. Even the earlier dungeons are already more complex than most of Skyrim. Branching paths, dead ends, verticality, and all that.
Also there is that I rarely feel a sense of Deja Vu with the Enderal dungeons, there are some dungeon pieces that are reused but a lot of the time each place I enter feel quite unique from one another, even the smaller ones.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me too much, I'll sort it out. I got through Elex, this is a cakewalk comparatively lol

I found that using two handed or shield bash on enemies when they are starting their swing helps a lot.

But yeah, you are pretty underpowered in the beginning. You find a summon skeleton spell fairly early and that helps a lot.

If you are going pure melee, I would suggest investing some learning points into summoning. You get some great summons later.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found that using two handed or shield bash on enemies when they are starting their swing helps a lot.

But yeah, you are pretty underpowered in the beginning. You find a summon skeleton spell fairly early and that helps a lot.

If you are going pure melee, I would suggest investing some learning points into summoning. You get some great summons later.

I don't really like summon stuff in games. I put a couple points into lycanthropy and for really tough fights I've got a couple potions on hand to wolf out. It's a lot more fun and seems super strong.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Let see if this could get me back to 'Skyrim', something that the original failed after dozens of attempts.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Just finished it.

After 67 hours I finally completed it.

Holy shitfuck that was good. No regrets going through that. I am putting down this mod as a favourite of all time.

Admittedly, while the story reminded me A LOT of Mass Effects plot, you know what? At least they pulled it off and left me satisfied unlike the empty hollow feeling I had after ME3.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly, while the story reminded me A LOT of Mass Effects plot, you know what? At least they pulled it off and left me satisfied unlike the empty hollow feeling I had after ME3.

I think the difference is that while Mass Effect arbitrarily shoehorned in a sad ending after endlessly validating the triumph of teamwork and family and all that over adversity for three whole games, Enderal never pretended to be anything other than a tragedy of your own making. We and the others could have stopped at any time. We were warned repeatedly. We just didn't want to listen because we believed we were the heroes of this story.

But unlike the Reapers, it was never about the High Ones. It was always only ever about our egos.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
No but this is an independent release, so you can play it standalone. And if you own Skyrim on steam already, it is free. ^^'

Just FYI for me, I didn't have any Skyrim version currently installed and when I tried to boot it up the first time, it gave me an error that it couldn't run the Skyrim exe (or something similar). Went ahead and installed the SE version only and it started up instantly.