• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I'd love to play this, but I have the Special Edition instead of standard, and - much like Metro 2033 - I don't think they have the original on Steam anymore.

Also, related, but is Oblivion worth me rebuying on Steam just for Nehrim, or is it not as good as Enderal?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd love to play this, but I have the Special Edition instead of standard, and - much like Metro 2033 - I don't think they have the original on Steam anymore.

Also, related, but is Oblivion worth me rebuying on Steam just for Nehrim, or is it not as good as Enderal?

Nehrim runs like ass because they push the engine so hard, but IMO it's amazing. Main issue is it's German dubbed with English subtitles so you need to willing to hear a lot of German.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What do you folks think about permanent follower mod? I found a couple and I wonder if it'll make the game a lot of easier than intended.

There's no Skyrim-like follower in Enderal. There are NPC companions but they only follow you for certain quests and they tend to stay on the path and won't follow you if you wander about.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What do you folks think about permanent follower mod? I found a couple and I wonder if it'll make the game a lot of easier than intended.

There's no Skyrim-like follower in Enderal. There are NPC companions but they only follow you for certain quests and they tend to stay on the path and won't follow you if you wander about.

You get summons, and there is a whole skill tree dedicated to summoning different companion "souls" you find around the world.

I would stick to that, as it is balanced for the game.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blegh had the whole story spoiled for me by someone. Hope it doesn't hurt my enthusiasm to keep playing.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

They'll eventually port it to SE. I don't really like it as is, it's ugly looking and performs terribly. SE should make it look a lot nicer with way better fps.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I think the difference is that while Mass Effect arbitrarily shoehorned in a sad ending after endlessly validating the triumph of teamwork and family and all that over adversity for three whole games, Enderal never pretended to be anything other than a tragedy of your own making. We and the others could have stopped at any time. We were warned repeatedly. We just didn't want to listen because we believed we were the heroes of this story.

But unlike the Reapers, it was never about the High Ones. It was always only ever about our egos.
That is very true.
After what I had been going through in ME1, 2 and by the first parts of 3, I was hoping the game was gonna end with something like this.
bcd.png

That would have at least made some sense as opposed to what we actually got.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always interested in more RPGs with a heavy story focus so I tried it, but man did it feel bad to play. It's so.. Stuttery, nothing felt or looked smooth. I can't believe the framerate was dipping below 60 on a 1080ti, either.

I might give it another try later on, but I cba to deal with Bethesda's awful engine right now.

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Just posting so that this thread gets seen by more people for a few more minutes. Don't sleep on this "mod". It is in every way a fantastic rpg.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'm always interested in more RPGs with a heavy story focus so I tried it, but man did it feel bad to play. It's so.. Stuttery, nothing felt or looked smooth. I can't believe the framerate was dipping below 60 on a 1080ti, either.

I might give it another try later on, but I cba to deal with Bethesda's awful engine right now.

FWIW the places it stutters look like poor art optimization to me; I have a beefy rig and in some places with long view distance and in certain directions it can dip to <25Hz, which is pretty crazy. I don't remember seeing anything like that in Skyrim and I suspect it's just poor LOD setup in the art assets in Enderal.

That said,a ll the original jankiness of character player controller implementation (poor capsule / world physics, etc.) are still there and still lamentable.

I'm still poking around the early areas and it feels like magic is way OP vs physical combat. Lot quicker/safer to dual-fist burn down an enemy than try to swing a sword at them, and arrow crit damage doesnt ever seem to trigger. Had been intending to go rogue/marksman but might pivot hard into elemental.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
FWIW the places it stutters look like poor art optimization to me; I have a beefy rig and in some places with long view distance and in certain directions it can dip to <25Hz, which is pretty crazy. I don't remember seeing anything like that in Skyrim and I suspect it's just poor LOD setup in the art assets in Enderal.

That said,a ll the original jankiness of character player controller implementation (poor capsule / world physics, etc.) are still there and still lamentable.

I'm still poking around the early areas and it feels like magic is way OP vs physical combat. Lot quicker/safer to dual-fist burn down an enemy than try to swing a sword at them, and arrow crit damage doesnt ever seem to trigger. Had been intending to go rogue/marksman but might pivot hard into elemental.

I don't know why they're wasting time trying to optimize the terrible oldrim engine, the patches haven't done anything. Just put that work into an SE port.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I can appreciate the work that went into this but strapping this down to this busted ass engine makes it a struggle to play, not to mention the hand-to-hand combat doesn't seem like it's changed at all so that means it fucking sucks, which is disappointing.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've put 30+ hours into the game so far, and I'm highly impressed. Just wow, this is a legit great RPG and surpassed most RPGs released in the past few years.

The main highlight for me is I totally like the progression, that feeling of helplessness in early game where everything can wreck you easily. You have to run, but then you come back several hours later with better skills and gears to get your sweet revenge. The side quests are also very varied, from simple bounty quests to long, chained quests from important figures in the city. I love how your actions and dialogue choices directly affect the outcome of a quest and/or NPC relationship. For some quests, there are no clear 'good' or 'bad' choice, sometimes you have to make tough choices. And yeah, there's NPC relationship system in this game, they may like/dislike what you say so you have to keep that in mind, even in non-decision making dialogue. Economy is well-handled too, I always found myself looking for scraps and loots to sell, because I always need more money to learn skills and/or upgrade my gears. Enderal has also incorporated lots of QoL, fixes, and graphical mods to you barely need any mod to enjoy it. I do still install a few mods though.

The story is also interesting (it's a nod to a certain game's plot) and I can't wait to see and explore more.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I uninstalled for now. Enjoying it but it keeps referencing Neherim so much I wanna play that first.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right. There are lots of Nehrim reference and the aftermath of that game (mod), because Enderal is essentially the sequel to that.

And apparently, they're planning to release the Steam standalone game next year.

Yah, though I kinda wanna play it now. Anyone know if it's hard to get working without steam?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I've put 30+ hours into the game so far, and I'm highly impressed. Just wow, this is a legit great RPG and surpassed most RPGs released in the past few years.

The main highlight for me is I totally like the progression, that feeling of helplessness in early game where everything can wreck you easily. You have to run, but then you come back several hours later with better skills and gears to get your sweet revenge. The side quests are also very varied, from simple bounty quests to long, chained quests from important figures in the city. I love how your actions and dialogue choices directly affect the outcome of a quest and/or NPC relationship. For some quests, there are no clear 'good' or 'bad' choice, sometimes you have to make tough choices. And yeah, there's NPC relationship system in this game, they may like/dislike what you say so you have to keep that in mind, even in non-decision making dialogue. Economy is well-handled too, I always found myself looking for scraps and loots to sell, because I always need more money to learn skills and/or upgrade my gears. Enderal has also incorporated lots of QoL, fixes, and graphical mods to you barely need any mod to enjoy it. I do still install a few mods though.

The story is also interesting (it's a nod to a certain game's plot) and I can't wait to see and explore more.

tenor.gif

A contender for one of the best RPGs of 2015 and no one even knew..

Last edited:

AzzX

Oct 25, 2017
Installed the other day and have played for a few hours. Very impressive, it sucks you in right from the start. Just need time to play it.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I am only a couple of hours in, but it so fucking good. I've been itching for something that comes close to Morrowind for so long so thanks for the heads up flyinj.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
The other day I installed ELEX, which was sitting on my library of GoG games barely touched because of some nasty bugs from early launch.
Now, alongside some mods, it feels p.f.good and, after having tried Enderal, it just makes me wonder how MUCH good would have the latter been if it wasn't hindered by the Skyrim engine.

I think that ELEX or Kingdom Come have just the right amount of jankiness that I can tolerate nowadays.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How are the quests in these?

Is there quest chains besides the main story, like the guild quest lines in Morrowind/Skyrim, or are the side quests all separate quests?
Do the quests contain choices and/or puzzles, ore are they mostly in the "clear out this dungeon/building/nest" style?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oh man, I adore the NPCs and companions. They're all pretty good and brimming with character.

How are the quests in these?

Is there quest chains besides the main story, like the guild quest lines in Morrowind/Skyrim, or are the side quests all separate quests?
Do the quests contain choices and/or puzzles, ore are they mostly in the "clear out this dungeon/building/nest" style?
Quests are pretty good and varied. There are simple quests like bounties which you can take in the notice boards. But most quests are not a simple go here and kill/gather that. Even the simple side quests have several steps to complete and going to multiple places, and have their own small twists. There are guild questline too, but what makes it different in Enderal is that they are trading guilds with their own ways and interests instead of fighter/mage/thief, or some political guilds like what you can find in a lot of RPGs. Sometimes, you'd be faced with though choices at the end of the quest (even side quests), which may impact the reward, your companion's view on you, or the fate of the NPC. There are puzzles too, but they're mostly seen in main quests.

The other day I installed ELEX, which was sitting on my library of GoG games barely touched because of some nasty bugs from early launch.
Now, alongside some mods, it feels p.f.good and, after having tried Enderal, it just makes me wonder how MUCH good would have the latter been if it wasn't hindered by the Skyrim engine.

I think that ELEX or Kingdom Come have just the right amount of jankiness that I can tolerate nowadays.
Tbh, I find ELEX more janky than Enderal. Yes, it runs on Skyrim engine, but at least the animation is still above what you can see in ELEX.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, you're right. There are lots of Nehrim reference and the aftermath of that game (mod), because Enderal is essentially the sequel to that.

And apparently, they're planning to release the Steam standalone game next year.

I am actually considering to wait for the Steam release of Nehrim before diving further into Enderal...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've really been enjoying my time with this, the world is just do dense and rewarding to explore, I love all the dilapidated homes and structures you can explore while still being in the overworld (no extra loading screen yay). So many items feel hand placed and tell a story relative to the environment, it feels a lot more hand crafted overall than how Bethesda typically designs areas. Also impressed by the layout and complexity of dungeons, I haven't really encountered that copy+paste feel yet that plagues the former.

Combat feels a lot more strategic, been enjoying using summons as distractions for larger mobs while playing peek a boo with ranged spells and bows. I also love how spell tomes are littered about the world, makes looting and general exploration/character development far more rewarding and organic. I'm curious what the background is for the people that worked on this, if they aren't paid devs outside of these conversion projects I'd be surprised, it just continually boggles the mind the more I play that this is a free thing done by fans. Maybe Bethesda should hire them to direct ES6 :p

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
if you cant stand skyrim's combat, play it as a mage with a pet. Melee is awkward and always felt bad for me, but magic is really satisfying to fool around with. No excuse skipping this gem of a game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Every time I play Enderal, my wife keep asking these question:

"Is this game really free? A mod of Skyrim? Is every quest new? How about the voice acting? They also composed the music by themselves?"

She still can't believe that this is an amateur project.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I play Enderal, my wife keep asking these question:

"Is this game really free? A mod of Skyrim? Is every quest new? How about the voice acting? They also composed the music by themselves?"

She still can't believe that this is an amateur project.

Neither can I. I would have gladly paid $60 for this.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The initial difficulty is brutal and, while I can understand that, given the Gothic inspiration, the lack of information through combat is not helpful (did I died because they hit me on a vital spot? was that a crit? was it because another enemy who I didn't saw was already hitting me? or was it simply because I ventured too far into a high level zone?).

Sounds like Gothic to me. It's better to not just go running into the forest early on.

Does the game pause when going into inventory? If not then it's a shame and I'd most likey pass.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I've avoided melee entirely, ranged + magic, and that was fine until the first Ark fighting arena brawl, those were one hit nightmares.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I'll definitely give this a go when I've finished the current game I'm playing. It sounds really interesting!