• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I do.

My objective is to complete 24 games in 2020. I think it is a reasonable number for me, some people will find it too much while others will find it little for a gamer :P

I want to clear my 3DS backlog first and foremost to finally say goodbye to this fantastic system. There are 6 games left of this system, and I am going to start with The Legend Of Zelda: Majora´s Mask 3D. My current Switch backlog consists on 12 games, of which I plan to play 6 next year. I am especially craving for playing Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair.

Here comes the real challenge: I am going to try buy just 12 games next year and finish them in the year. 6 of them will be for the Switch, I am not sure about which yet. The others 6 will be for PS4 or PC. Of these 6 I am sure about 5:

- Final Fantasy VII Remake (Day 1 prolly) PS4
- Doom Eternal (Day 1 prolly) PS4
- Cyberpunk 2077 (Day 1 prolly) PC
- The Last Of Us Part II (Day 1 for sure) PS4
- Resident Evil II Remake (will be my Halloween game algonside Alien Isolation for the Switch probably) PS4

Thats it. Share your schedule if your an obssesive planner like me! =D

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I usually plan what games I'm gonna buy, but play? I plan to play every game I buy, even if like half of them just end up in my backlog*

* Tacos are awesome.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Not really, I just buy whatever I'm interested in at the moment.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Plan is a strong word. I just buy stuff I've been looking forward to for awhile or catches my eye.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Not really. I don't have a regular gaming schedule, so it's hard to do any planning. If I'm not finished with a game and still enjoying it there is no sense in starting a new game just because I had it planned for a specific date or whatever. No, that wouldn't work for me. I might try to plan what to play next though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Short answer: no

I am bad at keeping up with gaming news so I tend to get my info here and sometimes from buzz on Reddit. I'll look at forecasted release dates on occasion but I never remember them. It's not uncommon for me to be completely unaware that a game in a franchise I love released until a few months afterwards.

I'd preorder more games so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but I have been burned too many times in the past with games that looked great on paper and in trailers but turned out to not be something I enjoyed.

Last edited:

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I make spreadsheets of all the games I have installed, and don't let myself install any more until I hit certain metrics (achievements on xbox, hours invested on Switch). I am aware this is probably not normal.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I love making lists, so I have a "Games I'm keeping my eye on" list that I regularly update with new games and release dates.
Basically, I am santa is what I am saying. I'm making a list and checking it twice, I'm gonna find out which games are naughty or nice.

Nov 8, 2017
I have six games I'm going to beat over the new year break I'm having from work, but generally no. I just have a few key games that are "definitely going to play immediately" and beyond that I see how I go closer to release.

Doom Eternal is priority #1.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I just play what I buy if I finish it great if I lose interest it's no big deal. Sometimes I'm not done with one when another comes out I want to play more or I wait until I finish the one I am playing if I am really enjoying it. So basically I plan to play whatever I buy whether or not I finish them.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like to look at release calendar and giggle with excitement.
But I won't go as far to PLAN these things, lol.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. I am 90% impulse based with maybe 2 or 3 games per year I know I'll be buying. From software / firaxis games.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I've told myself only to buy The Last of Us Part II day one next year and then wait for PS5 and buy whatever I've missed (Cyberpunk) for that system.
But I know myself pretty well, if the hype is real I'll cave and buy whatever gets me hyped, lol. But I'll try to stay strong!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nope. Gaming is a hobby and not my work. I play what I wanna play when I wanna play it.

Obviously there are games I will get shortly after release, but I dont plan that out in advance.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I have an active Wishlist on Steam so I can track anticipated titles and their release dates.

Most of the games I play see little press/forum coverage so getting personalized email notifications when a Wishlist item lands helps a lot.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
The games that I really want to play I'll usually play on release. I put in my calendar and say to my gf that the tv is completely mine that evening.

But it's not like I'm fully up to date on release dates. Usually in the run up to release I notice it through this channel or others and then I'll see if I want to play it on release.

Having said that, I am definitely planning some time for the PS5 and/or Scarlett. Same for Zelda.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I kind of plan out my most anticipated games of each year. If a few come out in the same month I will change the plan based on reviews.

Backlog titles just fit into the gaps. Will drop the backlog game if I don't beat it before a current year game comes out.

If the backlog relates to an anticipated game, i'll plan to work through the backlog in the lead up to the new game. This was the Metro series and Gears of War series for me this year.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I have decided to budget games more because i was spending way too much money. For the first part of next year i'm only buying FFVII Remake and Last of Us 2 day one. Other games, like Cyberpunk for example, i will wait till theyre 20-30 euros and jump in.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
I do tend to plan out my play for the year. I keep a spreadsheet of all the games that I want to play for a year but I don't make any purchases until Black Friday when I can stock up at a good discount. So I just bought most my games for next year and will build the list again during the next year to make my purchasing decisions for next Black Friday. I still buy the occasional game at release when it is a series/developer that I love but this helps me to keep my cost down and focus on what games I want to play. Waiting until Black Friday also helps me to get over the hype/FOMO that used to drive me to buy a game when everyone was talking about it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No because I never follow my plans for anything (games, books, movies...)

I'll just play what I want.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yes and no, I have a roughly estimation of the games I'll surely play, in 2020 I'm sure I'll play a lot (TMS # FE in summer, Trails From Zero/Ao/Cs III, FF VII R, Cyberpunk, TLOU II, BotW 2 if it's a 2020 game...) but I always fill the "gaps" with lower profile games that simply appeal to me, older games I want to play or replaying games I loved, depending on how many other things I need to do during the year.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I would say I have an idea of what I will buy and play next year but I wouldn't go so far as to say I have much of a plan beyond that. When I look at what I have bought this year maybe only half were games that I was thinking about this time last year so my lists are relatively fluid. Looking into next year the only things that I would put on the likely list would be Animal Crossing, Gods & Monsters, and maybe Minecraft Dungeons.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I usually plan what games I'm gonna buy, but play? I plan to play every game I buy, even if like half of them just end up in my backlog
This. I already have 400+ games on my backlog. I have a full list of the games I'm anticipating and their release date, but I only have 1 hr free to play per day and I like RPGs so...

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Why not play Doom Eternal on your pc op? If it can handle cyberpunk, you'll get a much better experience on pc.

On topic, my plan is to continue tackling my backlog, and i know a few games i'm going to buy, but i dont set a plan for what to play and when.

I finish a game, and then move on to another that interests me. Owning all consoles, plus a pc makes the choice hard sometimes.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
There are some games i know im gonna play no matter what (cyberpunk, tlou2, ff7r, tsushima)

For everything else, ill pay more attention to the reviews, see which games stand out critically, or what peaks my interest, indie or otherwise.

Oh and i also play the latest poe leauges for a week or two.

Nov 8, 2017
To some degree. If I'm really looking forward to a particular game I will make room. For instance, FF7R and Cyberpunk 2077 are a couple games I will plan around so that I don't start another long game before I buy those.

Other than that I will play what I'm in the mood for. I do try to plan out having a variety so I don't end up playing 3 long RPGs back to back, but my planning really only goes one or two games at a time. I have tried planning longer stretches but I've found no success in longer queues - they make it feel more like a chore and I'd rather just satisfy whatever I'm in the mood for instead.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and it's usually at the end of each year that I plan the following year's games (mostly because I buy games for cheap during black friday).

So I'm just now playing Spiderman GOTY, planning on platinuming.
Then onto God of War PS4, planning on platinuming
By then FFVII Remake will be out, planning on platinuming
Then I have nothing else to live for because FFVII remake is finally out.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yeah I try to if there are big releases next to each other. I'm going to have to skip some in March though. 3 extremely anticipated releases in 1 month is a shame. I'm gonna have to postpone doom eternal unfortunately.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, time management is the best way to handle modern release schedules and a backlog at the same time. I wouldn't have been able to play and beat all 4 big games I beat in November without first deciding which order I would play them in.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. I don't play a ton of games so I have some loose schedule in mind for games I want to play day 1 usually. Especially if there's some online co-op thing I'll. need to have the gaming schedule cleared out for like Borderlands 3 in September and October this year and heavily story-driven games where I don't want to get spoiled.

Right now all I have firmly in mind for next year is Final Fantasy 7 Remake in March, Cyberpunk 2077 in April, and TLOU2 in June (well starting last couple of days in May). I'll likely grab Animal Crossing in March, but that's a side game that doesn't need the slate cleared and will have to keep an eye on Borderlands 3 DLC expansion releases as my friends and I all have the season pass.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I just completed my plan for backlogged games next year... I am gonna play like 1 or 2 games for each console in chronological order.. starting with River City Ransom and Felix the Cat on NES, then ending with Opoona on Wii.