• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Why or why not? Are you planning on moving somewhere else anytime soon?

I just moved to Seattle. I plan on being here at least a few years and I love it. The refreshing cool mist. The vibrant greenery and mountains everywhere. The view of the city from Gas Works Park. The Pike Place Market and the delicious food. Ballard and its Scandinavian heritage and Nordic Museum of the USA. Capitol Hill and its famous gay scene. The dazzling summers with mild weather. The broody, snuggly winters. The public transit improvements and the extremely progressive politics. The recreational weed and bizarre, independently owned businesses on the street. This week I found a convenience store by my place that sells kegs and serves craft beer on tap and Korean food. It's just a cool fucking city. So easy to live in if you can afford it.

my other love is SF and I hope to move there someday.

I came from Texas but don't really miss it besides the food.

what about you?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but it's too far from work and i definitely need to move closer to work so that's what i'm planning.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Boston is pretty nice it's like if New York was smaller and quainter and slightly more infuriating. We invented freedom and thick soup, and sometimes the weather is unacceptable

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's okay - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I miss the weather and the scenery from when I lived a decade in Victoria, but Edmonton has a lot of good festivals and food and the population is surprisingly diverse (Victoria in contrast is 50% white seniors). Cost of living is also reasonable and politically speaking it is a tiny little speck of sanity in a province otherwise hardcore conservative.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not really, but I have a cushy job that would be hard to give up in search of greener pastures. Maybe once I've got a good nest egg going I can take a pay hit and move somewhere more interesting (or maybe I'll luck out and find something better yet)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I do. It's not a very affluent area, but it's quaint, quiet, and right on the ocean. The lows are in the upper 40s, and the highs are in the mid 60s.

my other love is SF and I hope to move there someday.
The things you'd have to do to be able to live there probably would make you not love it so much.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kansas City is amazing. The suburbs on the Kansas side where I live, not so much. I'd love to be able to afford a loft or apartment downtown but that's way away.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a tiny village in Ohio. It's more conservative than I'd like and none of the best pizza places in the area deliver here, but for the most part it's nice and quiet and I get along with my neighbors so eh, I like it well enough.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
no, not really.

we moved from South Philly to Central Vermont, and under different circumstances i might like it a lot more (if i were single, if i were rich and it was like, a winter retreat for me or something), but for me and my wife at the place we are in our lives, its really just a huge annoyance with almost no redeeming factors. the move itself was very rushed and a lot of the (entirely appropriate) cons i brought up were ignored, so here we are.

planning and saving to move back to Philly this summer, though.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I live in Seattle and was born and raised here. The city is very different from when I was a kid and even from when I bought my house back in 2007, but it's home and I love it. I do wish it was more affordable for people.

I've travelled all over the world and there are lots of great places, but I don't think I'd want to live in many of them. Maybe Friesland in the Netherlands or Tokyo for a short stint.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
An hour and half away from London by train and car, pretty much next to a National Park and close to Brighton and Bournemouth beaches. It's not too shabby really.

England in general? No, too many Tories for my liking.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix? Somedays I do, other days? Not so much.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The country, yes. Denmark is honestly a hard place to be unhappy with, especially looking at everywhere else

The city, not so much. Esbjerg is an industrial city, and located in the conservative part of the country, meaning that a lot of the people here are pretty close minded and want things to be like in the good old days. It's also only the fifth largest city, which in a small country like Denmark means that it's really not that large, so it's not particularly interesting.

Personally hoping I can move to bigger, more interesting and more progressive cities like Copenhagen or Århus (second largest city) in the not too distant future

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
I love the City (it offers so much, big, but not too big). In Vienna, Austria the bad side are really the people :/ I dont like them, they are rude and too stressed.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I did, and then I had to leave.

Moved to Minneapolis at the end of 2017. Everything was going great until this past summer. Fiancée lost her job right before the 4th of July, we got priced out of our apartment and were forced to do an emergency move to her mom's. I left to go back home to my parents last month to get some medical issues taken care of.

I'm 37 years old and I had to move back with my parents in Susanville, CA. The town is a dead end dump. There's nothing here, unless you want to get a job with the department of corrections. The amount of hate and disdain I have for this town knows no bounds. It's a conservative Trump supporting shithole and I can't stand it.

I really, really miss Minneapolis. Things were starting to look up for us and then life slapped us upside the head.

We're getting married in 6 months and we're looking at settling in Reno to get our feet back underneath us.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium. I don't like it and I would like to move to another country in the future. I just feel like there isn't much to do here that interests me.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I enjoy California, I detest the suburbs where I live. Thankfully I'm moving overseas in a few months with an actual competent public transit system in place.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Im in KC. I really like my city.
  • Its pretty small and traffic isn't bad, so getting around is typically painless.
  • We're known for BBQ, but there's also a ton of varieties of ethnic foods to choose from. Pretty much anything you could want is available somewhere within the metro (some things are lacking however, i wish there were better pizza options). Also have a pretty solid beer scene.
  • Its kind of affordable. Rent is high, but homes are reasonable in certain areas. Currently renting, but I am house hunting. I anticipate getting a 3bed/2bath and having my mortgage and all other expenses being quite a bit less then I'm currently spending in rent on a 1bed/1bath apartment. If I were to move, it would be to a smaller town/city
  • People are typically pretty friendly, but keep to themselves which is nice. We do have quite a few conservatives, since KC is located in a red state, but in the city you typically dont have to deal with that much.
  • Plenty to do. Have the typical festivals, art shows, monthly events that most cities have. Bands on tour either stop here or STL so its 50/50 if you're going to get to see them.

Cons
  • Crime is very bad in certain areas.
  • We have a cult that kind of controls one of the suburbs of the metro.
  • Every time people suggest a BBQ place for folks out of town its Joe's, but IMO there's quite a few better options.
  • Public transportation is non-existent.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suburb of Dallas. I like it for the most part. Exceptionally lose cost of living for really nice homes in areas with practically zero violent crime. Great schools, great food, have everything nearby that you could want or need.

Downside is traffic and the fact that you ha e to drive to get anywhere. No public transit.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I do. It's not a very affluent area, but it's quaint, quiet, and right on the ocean. The lows are in the upper 40s, and the highs are in the mid 60s.

The things you'd have to do to be able to live there probably would make you not love it so much.

I'm in biotech and my husband is going to be a therapist so we would be just fine if we move there someday

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I love where I live, Wellington, New Zealand. Got the beach where I surf just a few metres away from my doorstep. Work is a 5 minutes drive. Great place for my kid to grow up.

I have also lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, for nearly 9 years; Hermosa Beach, in California, Vallejo, just outside San Francisco, a ranch farm not far from Katy (Texas) and Ceuta, Spain. And of course where I'm from Cadiz, Spain.

Yes. With all it's flaws, Spain is amazing.

Hola!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I love where I live, Wellington, New Zealand. Got the beach where I surf just a few metres away from my doorstep. Work is a 5 minutes drive. Great place for my kid to grow up.

I have also lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, for nearly 9 years; Hermosa Beach, in California, Vallejo, just outside San Francisco, a ranch farm not far from Katy (Texas) and Ceuta, Spain. And of course where I'm from Cadiz, Spain.

What was it like living in a Spanish protectorate on the Moroccan mainland? Must have been interesting.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Hola!

De Cádiz ni más ni menos! Gaditanos por el mundo por lo que veo 😎

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I enjoy where I live which is Houston, Texas. Lived here a long time with no plans on leaving. Most of my family is here. But if an opportunity for my wife or I came along, I wouldn't have a big issue moving.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Toronto is great for the most part. There's so much to do here and if you put the work in to find them theres a lot of great people here too. I would live here the rest of my life if I could.

The cost of housing is beyond ridiculous which is likely going to push me out of the city though which sucks. The only other negative is the winters are shit but that is just unavoidable east of the rockies anyway.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
No. I hate it. I'm in the middle of nowhere wv. No tech, no entertainment, nothing but tradition obsessed conservative bible belt rednecks that worship coal and trump.

Get me the fuck outta here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Nashville, TN. Some things I like.

The food and weather is mostly nice. Most people are cool too.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I live in Mount Vernon, WA an hour or two north of Seattle.
I hate it, it's just a commuter town with nothing to do and apparently has one of the worst housing in Washington State. The scenery is nice but that's about it.
Hopefully I get to move to Bellingham in the fall which has a ton more stuff to do.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Nothing different from living in mainland Spain to be honest. I have really fond memories of Morocco and their people, and whenever I'm visiting my parents I always cross the ditch to spend a few days there.

My wife's sister lives in Rabat and they took us to Ceuta when we visited back in 2017, we enjoyed our time there but apparently they have some issues with radicalized Moroccan youth sneaking into the city and then across the Mediterranean into Europe. Was just curious if this was ever something you experienced living there.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
North Atlanta suburbs, hate it. Surrounded by proudly-ignorant, gung-ho, bigoted yokels who would probably all wish me harm if they realized I was trans. Been trying for years to get my database guru boyfriend to take me and his highly-sought-after skills to urban Canada, or at least PNW. But he's got very strong ties here (friends + family), so I'll likely die here, just as I was born here. ☹️

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like my neighborhood or the weather, but Chicago's great. I'll leave eventually, but I'll always come back to visit.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's okay - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I miss the weather and the scenery from when I lived a decade in Victoria, but Edmonton has a lot of good festivals and food and the population is surprisingly diverse (Victoria in contrast is 50% white seniors). Cost of living is also reasonable and politically speaking it is a tiny little speck of sanity in a province otherwise hardcore conservative.

I also live in Edmonton. I also think it is okay. I grew up here so I don't have any fondness for living else where. I like the festivals as it is my job to work them in various capacities. There is a surprisingly vibrant theatre scene (again my job). I can actually mostly afford to live here. And yes it is a somewhat liberal haven in an otherwise very conservative province.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I do. It's safe, diverse, good mix of stuff to do. Fairly suburban but close enough to DC and Baltimore that I don't miss out on all the action. Pretty massive shift going from living in Puerto Rico to the second most affluent county in the US.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I wanted to live in the south-west of England for a long time and when I finally convinced my wife it was time to gtfo of London, we toured a lot of places. Bath was our first choice but even London money doesn't go far there. In the end we chose a small town ten miles from Bath where my grandmother lived when I was a child and where I still have a few distant relatives.

It's beautiful. The town is full of listed buildings, my house is 250 years old and a fantastic example of Georgian architecture, the countryside is rolling hills and rivers and gorges and ancient tombs and standing stones. Full of mystery. It's the home of the legend of Arthur and King Alfred the Great.

I buy my meat from a local farmer with a butcher's shop. I buy my vegetables from the greengrocer or other farmers. There is a market twice a week selling fish and cheese and meat and soap and another, huge market once a month that sells street food and antiques and cider and art and million other things.

The town council is independent of toxic national politics and focuses on innovative local polices like a community fridge and larder and coat-rack where people and businesses leave things they can't use so that other people can take then. That just won a European policy award. The town introduced and new social policy focused on connecting people and community to help people who feel lonely and isolated. It brought healthcare admissions down by 15% and is being copied around the world.

It's frequently listed as one of the best places to live in the UK and I fucking love it and I hope I never have to leave.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
My wife's sister lives in Rabat and they took us to Ceuta when we visited back in 2017, we enjoyed our time there but apparently they have some issues with radicalized Moroccan youth sneaking into the city and then across the Mediterranean into Europe. Was just curious if this was ever something you experienced living there.

I mean we've had people sneaking into Europe through Ceuta for as long as I have memory, but I can't really tell you of any bad experiences as I've never had one. You hear of people being assaulted, but there are bad people everywhere.

I like Rabat a lot, but my favourite places are Larache and Agadir. Friendliest people you'll find in North Africa (personal opinion out of the 3 countries I've been to in North Africa).

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Pretty much.

The place is quiet (the neighbors too), and there are lots of open space for children to play around. Mini markets are just 5 minutes awa by walking. There's a clinic just across the street and with my health insurance, it's free. We have everything we need within 10-15 minutes of walking from home. Meanwhile, my daily commute is 20-25 minutes. I like it here, far more than my previous place.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
It's not bad, very flat unlike my hometown, so no out of shape huffing and puffing trying to get anywhere. It's near enough to Cork city, and fairly quiet. I do wish I was back in my hometown, though. I miss the harbour. There is absolutely nothing to photograph here by comparison, and this bothers me to no end. Back home you have a massive harbour dominated by a massive cathedral, with tiered hills of coloured houses.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I mean we've had people sneaking into Europe through Ceuta for as long as I have memory, but I can't really tell you of any bad experiences as I've never had one. You hear of people being assaulted, but there are bad people everywhere.

I like Rabat a lot, but my favourite places are Larache and Agadir. Friendliest people you'll find in North Africa (personal opinion out of the 3 countries I've been to in North Africa).

My sister-in-law works at the American Embassy so they're stuck in Rabat, but I've loved my time all over the country. The Moroccan people are incredibly friendly, it's a shame the average American is clueless to just how much they have in common with them and most Muslims from the Middle East.

Feb 26, 2019
I live in northern Virgina and generally like it, although it's very expensive. My sister lives in the suburbs of Philly and paid less for a brand new 3500sq ft place than we did for our 2100 SQ ft split level from the sixties. We're pretty close to DC, so there's lots to do, although bring this close to DC these days makes me more nervous than it used to.

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived north of Seattle for most my life (excepting going to college in the bustling metropolis of Ellensburg) and love it. However, I won't be staying past when my kids graduate from high school in all likelihood because it's gotten far too expensive for housing. Last I checked it's expensive all the way up to Bellingham so I might go south. I haven't really looked into it much yet.