• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not especially. I'm in Minneapolis again after spending the break in NorCal with the in-laws, so the difference is pretty stark. Warm beaches, diverse population, and plenty to do/eat vs. permanent snow, midwestern "micro-"aggressions, and absolute boredom.

But the CoL (at least for areas with good schools) is way lower here. :/

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I just moved to Evanston, IL, right on the other side of the city limits of Chicago. My work has been based out of Schaumburg for years, so I've been hesitant to move into the city, but when my girlfriend and I discussed moving in together, this became the place we landed. She works on the northside, and I out in the suburbs.

People complain about how expensive it is to live in Illinois, but I've found it manageable. There are very few things I'm left wanting for. I can walk to a train that will take me anywhere in one of the greatest cities on earth, and I live comfortably with my better half. I could stand to live closer to some more scenic areas, but I manage.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Coral Springs, FL here.

No I don't. At least I don't anymore.

when I lived in Miami the mantra was always 'keep moving north'. And that's exactly what I did. The problem is the cost of living vs. how much you can actually make out here. It's a town where the surgeon, doctors, business owners live. Buying a house here as a single parent is a pipe dream. It's frustrating. Cops are on OD against people of color. The only thing I really like is that it's quiet, has great restaurants/shopping, and it's 20 minutes from the beach.
I'm leaving next year to buy a house outside of Atlanta. One that's around $200k but would easily go for $1m here in Florida.

Dumb ass hot ass state.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Eh... kind of.

I like that I'm in my hometown and that my ailing parents are close, but it's a very blue collar slice of suburb full of rednecks who kind of don't take care of their shit despite clearly having the money to do so.

You'll see lots of huge-assed, tricked out trucks and mud buggies alongside overgrown, weed-infested lawns and homes that haven't been painted since they were built. Not to mention a fair share of beer cans, bottles, and cookout/party paraphernalia littering the neighborhood.

And for some reason these assholes just LOVE parking out in our narrow streets, even though we all have driveways and garages.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I live in Dublin. Despise everything about this country. In particular, the health and transport systems and the average persons' opposition to high quality public transport. Takes about 2 hours to get anywhere between the hours of 15:00 and 18:30 in this tiny city. Absolute joke. Planning on moving to Spain when I finish my degree this year.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I live about 20 minutes outside of Denver. My family loves it here. Liberal area, people are mostly chill, great school system for my kid, jobs aplenty, traffic isn't nearly as bad as the place where I moved from, public transportation is plentiful and clean (though it could be better) we have four actual seasons, great airport, and I'm surrounded by beautiful mountain views everyday.

The only cons I can think of are that cost of living got outrageously expensive since we moved here, and the snowstorms can be a little much at times.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Why not try Huntington, Charleston or Morgantown?
Cause my JOB isnt there. I ain't making minimum wage go anywhere shit anymore I got a career. I lived in huntington, barbiursville and worked in charleston as well. I make double where I'm at what I did in the southern parts that had no industry and I've kept up on those areas and all the openings in the state. That's all i still see there is stuff half my pay.

Only places I'm finding that pay what I make are out of state and im honestly fed up with all the rural nothing to do life and angry as hell trump supporter open bigots surrounding me because ive seen plenty all the way from logan county to Harrison county. I'm tired of coal married infrastructures supporting the state and living with all the drama and attitudes that creates in my field and social life.

I need to leave.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's alright, but PHX has some serious issues they need to address in this decade.
-West Valley where I live in sucks for someone in their 20's. Just strip mall after strip mall with no nightlife or anything to do for a young person. You really have to drive up to downtown or East Valley to do anything fun.
-PHX has some serious problems with drug abuse and homelessness I never witness before. I drive all around the city and everywhere I go I see homeless and it's just a sad site. Crime also has gone upwards.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's alright, but PHX has some serious issues they need to address in this decade.
-West Valley where I live in sucks for someone in their 20's. Just strip mall after strip mall with no nightlife or anything to do for a young person. You really have to drive up to downtown or East Valley to do anything fun.
-PHX has some serious problems with drug abuse and homelessness I never witness before. I drive all around the city and everywhere I go I see homeless and it's just a sad site. Crime also has gone upwards.

Well...there's Westgate?

Just kidding, that place sucks.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cause my JOB isnt there. I ain't making minimum wage go anywhere shit anymore I got a career. I lived in huntington, barbiursville and worked in charleston as well. I make double where I'm at what I did in the southern parts that had no industry and I've kept up on those areas and all the openings in the state. That's all i still see there is stuff half my pay.

Only places I'm finding that pay what I make are out of state and im honestly fed up with all the rural nothing to do life and angry as hell trump supporter open bigots surrounding me because ive seen plenty all the way from logan county to Harrison county. I'm tired of coal married infrastructures supporting the state and living with all the drama and attitudes that creates in my field and social life.

I need to leave.
Fair enough. I basically lived in Elkins over the summer, being an inspector on the Corridor H project, it wasn't too bad and Huntington has improved massively over the last few years, but we're still likely moving to Asheville. My company has an office there and they apparently help with moving expenses, so I can't blame you.

And Logan may as well be on a difference planet. The rest of the state doesn't claim them. 😂

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis here. I really like it. Feels like a medium city that has the perks of a bigger city. Feels like it might be on the brink of getting big though as prices start to get high.

I like cold weather, so I don't mind the winters. I love the Great Lakes as well. The north shore is beautiful.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i was pretty impressed how reasonable some of the apartments are out in the crossroads area. can't be that much more than what you pay over in JOCO

Man I dunno, I live on the edge of JoCo and I pay a little under $700 and that's including everything except electric. My apartment kinda owns. Just wish the area wasn't so boooring.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I basically lived in Elkins over the summer, being an inspector on the Corridor H project, it wasn't too bad and Huntington has improved massively over the last few years, but we're still likely moving to Asheville. My company has an office there and they apparently help with moving expenses, so I can't blame you.

And Logan may as well be on a difference planet. The rest of the state doesn't claim them. 😂
Kinda hard to go any further downhill in Huntington after the night they had 26 + opioid overdoeses in a single night. Or when my neighbors daughter Megan Poston was gunned down on prom night by drug dealers . They still got the memorial fountain in their yard. Or when Samantha burns was abducted right off of Marshall campus and her body didnt turn up for years. I went to school with her and her brother that everyone called Boo at Guyan Valley.Only way to go was up.
When I say fuck this state I mean fuck this state. I've had my fill. Shits been building up in me for decades and I've had enough

I basically claimed one of the only good jobs here is why I'm where I am. Wv has zero diversification in its business and industry portfolio. I'm only doin what I do now because it was all that paid out here. It was my fallback should my ba not pay enough to handle college debt. And of course it didnt...and my current field is one I know depends on coal and I'm sick of that. I know that's unstable. I wanna work in renwables or gas anyhow or just outright work chemical manufacturing instead. None of which are here.

First solid offer I'm gone. Even if it means I take the massive hit of moving and selling my house. Longterm itd be more secure, healthier, and in a better area than lost in a dying mountain town surrounded by things and ideas I dont relate to. They can have that life. I'd rather take mine someplace that kept up with the world and technology.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I want nothing more in my life to never live in pennsylvania again
giphy.gif

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I have a pizza place and a liquor store less than a block from my house. Pluse I'm close to the highway. So basically I'm living the dream.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Man I dunno, I live on the edge of JoCo and I pay a little under $700 and that's including everything except electric. My apartment kinda owns. Just wish the area wasn't so boooring.
Oh shit. Yeah that's a steal and I'd hold onto it. I'm in OP and my rent is hitting 1000 not including utilities which is why I'm envious of some of the downtown rentals. I'd move but I'm house hunting so I️ have trouble justifying the expense when ideally I️ won't be here for to much longer

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Been in Buffalo for the last 8 years and I love it. The food, the people, the city is small but nice.
But sometimes I think I'd be better off with a change of scenery.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I like where I live (mainland US). It's peaceful and almost no crime in the area. Gigabit internet. There are nice places to visit nearby.

However, I love la isla del encanto a lot more. If it wasn't for the economy and the high incidents of crime, I would move back there. Perfect weather all year long, nice beaches close by, and lots of friendly people.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
i see your Pennsylvania and raise you Ohio.
I honestly consider a large portion of Ohio a step up from wv. You guys got a ton of game, comic, and anime conventions so a decent geek culture to mingle with gathers every other month all over the state. Plus some nice resort hotels like the kalahari which has a huge indoor waterpark and arcade. Also zoos and museums actually exist in your state. Till I traveled there I'd thought of them as just things from tv. None exist in wv.

In wv I cant even get delivery food that's not dominos or papa John's and I have like zero Chinese food, bubble tea or even friggin frozen food places near me. Hell it's an hour or more to find a foreign food grocer.

I got an interview for lordstown oh soon. I'd rather take the beloit job in wi if it comes up again since last time I lost to a local candidate even though I had more qualifications because it meant they wouldnt need to pay relocation. Itll be spring before I even got another shot though. Chicago and Milwaukee are cool plus huge gamer scene so I'd love to move to that blue state area but I'll take what I can get.

At least in a green energy place in a swing state like ohio it shouldn't be as fucked up and warped as what I deal with now. I've liteerally heard folks talking about purges here. Remember ohio...at least your not wv.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Sacramento CA. I like it for the most part. It's a low key city, and I'm a low key dude. There's enough people here for there to be a thriving craft brewery scene, a handful of some pretty decent restaurants, hidden coffee city, but nothing that's going to make people travel here from across the country. Which is exactly how I like it. Golden 1 Center seems to attract enough big shows, and if not they'll be in the bay which is close by. Ace of Spades for smaller shows, and if they don't stop there, again, the bay is close by.

Negatives are it gets pretty hot in the summer. However the beach and the snow are only an hour and change away. And the Kings suck.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I live in Colorado so yeah, I really really like where I live. I've lived on the west coast, the east coast, the south, the midwest, and Colorado just has the best combination of climate, cost of living to quality of life ratio, and proximity to things and activities that I enjoy.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
For the most part. Lots of jobs in northern Virginia, commute is tolerable, I'm in a decent school district last I checked, and there are tons of food and shopping locations around me.

The only issue that I have is that for my wife and I, our friends and family are all 1.5-2 hours away from us, so it makes visiting everyone, and travel (house/pet/child sitters) difficult. We're eager to move, but it's a ton of work trying to find a new job, sell, and buy/rent in a new location, especially when you're sort of comfortable at the time being.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I was born and raised in Tampa and love living here but if I had to point out a weakness for my city it's the horrible transit. Traffic is a complete nightmare and keeps getting worse as people from all over move here.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I live in Newport, South Wales. It's not ideal, but it serves it's purpose as a commuter city to Cardiff either via easy access to the motorway or train station. Can also easily get to Bristol and other cities from here as well.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the southside of milwaukee yes if it were anything else but east or southside hell no.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nah it's a shit hole, a guy was shot in the head about 30 seconds from my house, and I'm in the UK....

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, it's an alright city, very good for WV but....

i loved going to the Charleston Mall as a kid.

at least you have a bunch of Tudor's Biscuit Worlds.
Lol we have tutors I can't deny, the malls still holding up but is slowly on its way out. Again I've been here my whole life so I probably can't judge it properly but to me im just ready to move on lol.

I'm off to tutors