• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that ever since Paradise burned, the town has suffered. Rents have gone up and traffic is far more dangerous (personal anecdote: I see red light running happen at almost every other light I stop at, it's insane). So I still kinda like it, but I definitely liked it more a couple years ago.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Suburb of Philadelphia. Very close to Valley Forge. Love it
Wife and I bought a house this past summer.
~5min commute to work, close to family and super easy to catch a train into the city.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Really love Fort Worth. About 30 miles from my school so I can go back for football/basketball games. Plenty of breweries and distilleries. Good food locally, and more diverse offerings available by driving to Arlington. Cost of living is relatively cheap and pretty much every store I could want within a 2-20 minute drive.

My gf isn't as enamored (she's from Maine/NYC), but having grown up in Dallas and moved to Denton for school, Fort Worth feels nice and laid back.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In Southern Germany now and I like it. Was in Japan before which I started to not like as much so kind of glad I moved, and Ottawa before that which is my nightmare to live in so definitely glad I moved from there.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. I live in an enclosed neighborhood so there is no through traffic what so ever. The only reason to drive here is if you live here. Also, the average age has got to be around mid-50's, so it is super quiet. It is upper middle class so there is zero crime and all the homes/lawns are well maintained. My neighbors are doctors, lawyers, teachers, and a ton of business owners (car dealership, construction, grocery store chain) so the neighborhood parties are always full of interesting people to talk to. They're the type of people you can trust to watch your home when you are on vacation or will plow your driveway in the winter because they are retired and they don't have anything better to do lol.

Plus we're on a lake. There ain't no life like lake life baby.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Moved to Nice, France in early 2018.

My all accounts I have an awesome lifestyle. Summer is sunshine everyday. Cycling, midnight swims in the med, awesome food and wine. Works gives a 2hr lunch break where I can go kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming etc. Or just chill on the beach with my lunch. Winter I have access to about 4 ski resorts. Italy is 25km away. All good.

But my god do the people here piss me off. There's a serious lack of spatial awareness with people. Just randomly getting in the way if each other or lunging across busy areas to shake a hand. The journey to work is an exercise in patience.

So yeah I like the lifestyle. People can GTFO.

Jan 29, 2018
Cleveland. I don't know why we live somewhere the weather is only enjoyable half the year. Cost of living, I guess.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Seattle. The weather owns and I walk 10 minutes to work. Amazon owns the city so as a Prime member, their services are a lot more widespread than the rest of the nation.
Cons: Fucking expensive and Amazon owns the city.

I currently like my job, but if work starts going downhill, next stop will probably be Denver or Minneapolis. Fuck hot weather, never dealing with that again.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle. The weather owns and I walk 10 minutes to work. Amazon owns the city so as a Prime member, their services are a lot more widespread than the rest of the nation.
Cons: Fucking expensive and Amazon owns the city.

I currently like my job, but if work starts going downhill, next stop will probably be Denver or Minneapolis. Fuck hot weather, never dealing with that again.

yay let's hang out someday

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I like where I live (mainland US). It's peaceful and almost no crime in the area. Gigabit internet. There are nice places to visit nearby.

However, I love la isla del encanto a lot more. If it wasn't for the economy and the high incidents of crime, I would move back there. Perfect weather all year long, nice beaches close by, and lots of friendly people.

isla del encanto off the coast of Cartagena? I love that place!

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I like the biggest aspects of my area like living at the beach but there's other stuff I'm not a huge fan of.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga near Toronto, quite an ugly city but i'm pretty indifferent about having to live here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I live about 35 miles south of Seattle, Its close to Tacoma, and Seattle is about an hour drive, which isn't too horrible. We own a home on a lot of about an acre, in one of those older neighborhoods from the 60's and 70's, where every house looked different and had a sizeable yard. Many of the original owners from those homes have downsized the last 10 years, so a bunch of families looking for more space/yards etc have moved in.

We are close to major freeways as well as transit options, but still feels a bit secluded due to our neighorhood.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego.

Just paid ~$12K in various taxes and fees to the state. Cost of living continues to rise at an astronomical rate. Had a 15 minute commute that now takes 45 minutes because of CalTrans. Housing prices are nearly LA levels of bad. All of the sleepy beach towns are now yuppie ville's. It's overcrowded in the summers with out-of-state visitors. Beach pollution and runoff is getting worse in some areas due to dense developments near the coast. Etc...

Still wouldn't live anywhere else in the US, though.

Great weather. Amazing beaches. Great hiking and camping. Spectacular food. Short drive to Baja MEX. Short flight to Hawaii. Short drive to LA, if you want to experience hell. Strong economy and job prospects for STEM fields. If you can afford to pay the cost of living, there's no where better to live on the West Coast.

Oh, and it's January 7th and it's 75 degrees and sunny 🌴 ☀

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
I live in one of the farthest suburbs from Chicago. I grew up in this general area and ended up back here when my wife and I found a house here.

It's nice enough here as it's all I've known really. I'm an hour from Chicago on a good day w traffic...which is rare...but I love the house we have, our neighborhood is great and we have everything we'd ever need within 15 minutes of us. Some good restaurants and few breweries. Can't complain.

Would be nicer if IL had cheaper taxes ad a whole and people weren't leaving the state in droves. Hopefully things will change soon on that front.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh heavens no, I loathe living here (Trinidad and Tobago)

Aside from the sky high crime rate, ignorant populace (both political parties here are the equivalent of the US Republican party, but split by race), backwards laws (gay sex was illegal until last year, still legal to discriminate against us tho, and ofc no marriage or adoption rights) and low, *low* pay (I make about $3.50 an hour...as a graphic/web designer) its just...not a pleasant place to live.

I'd love to get away, but saving up for that kind of thing is uh...difficult...

Only real benefit I see of living here other than closeness to my family is like...the weather I guess. Though with global warming, who knows, might be underwater in a couple decades.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in the heart of North Austin in an awesome area that's two blocks from my office. I will literally never live in a better and more convenient location. I hate the idea of owning a stupidly huge house in the suburbs but I know I'll probably have to someday.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no? I like the town I live in. It's very much working class, but very multicultural and inclusive. I like being close to the town centre and lots of amenities etc too. I used to live in a very racist white area growing up, so my current town being so multicultural and not being overrun with racism and xenophobia is a blessing. I'd be happy to live here for as long as I need to.

On the other hand, I don't particularly want to stay in England for the rest of my life, given the trajectory this country is headed in. I have some plans to move eventually, hopefully it works out.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Nope.
In east Orlando by the university.
I hate it honestly.
Boring and flat.

Only reason I'm here is becuase this is the best school I could transfer into.

Would rather live in San Diego or something

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I moved to Columbus, OH from Bismarck, ND eight months ago. It was a tremendous upgrade. I love Columbus!... but I'm not really a big fan of Ohio as a state.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love where I live, Wellington, New Zealand. Got the beach where I surf just a few metres away from my doorstep. Work is a 5 minutes drive. Great place for my kid to grow up.

I have also lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, for nearly 9 years; Hermosa Beach, in California, Vallejo, just outside San Francisco, a ranch farm not far from Katy (Texas) and Ceuta, Spain. And of course where I'm from Cadiz, Spain.

I've lived in Cadiz and Manhattan Beach. Almost twins.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
NJ and I don't like it but will have to live for a few years then maybe will consider moving somewhere else. Don't really have any favorite doable place and I'd never move to NY. Got used to the tranquility of NJ even though is boring, but I'll take it anyday vs NY craziness. (Japan is just but a dream and as a European, I don't like the lack of work stability & crazy housing prices .)

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Live in the burbs outside KC. It's boring, but it's really easy to live here while raising a family and making good money. I would like to live in Colorado some day, but again I have next to no stressors in my life.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Saddleworth, outside Manchester and almost-but-not-quite in Yorkshire, UK. It's a lovely, rural place with a great village atmosphere - all within a half hour drive of my favourite city in the UK. Unfortunately the schools aren't great, so we ended up moving our daughter to a private school in Yorkshire, where we'll eventually end up moving. If it weren't for that, though, I'd probably want to stay put.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto? Nope. Housing pretty much ruins the city for me. Cost of living in general is stupid. Anytime someone moves I congratulate them.

but food is good when you can afford it.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Nope

Hoping to move in the next year or two, the only thing holding me here is a high paying job that is giving us a lot of financial comfort as we raise our twins, but the overall location is absolutely dreadful.

Major negatives:
Largest major airport is 3 hours away
Looooonng nasty winters
Not within an hour of an ocean

Oct 30, 2017
Metro Atlanta suburbs. Safe, diverse, generally good weather, and amazing food—lots of Asian, Hispanic, and Mediterranean restaurants around here, especially Korean BBQs.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Living in Orlando, roughly halfway between downtown and UCF.

I actually like it here. It's definitely the best area I've been living in since I moved here for grad school back in 2014 (this is literally the 5th place I've stayed at since then lol). I can see myself settling down here for a few years before I decide to finally make my move to Seattle, which has always been a dream of mine.

The actual house I'm staying at is rather nice, too. I'm only renting but I'm best friends with my roommate, so it's nice to have his company around.

Summers really suck, though. Just the worst. The winter months are my only saving grace from the terrible humidity the rest of the year forces me to suffer through.

Oct 27, 2017
I moved to Kansas City a little over a decade ago, and though it's had its ups and downs, overall I love it. This city has so much history and so many fascinating things to do.

Kansas City is amazing. The suburbs on the Kansas side where I live, not so much. I'd love to be able to afford a loft or apartment downtown but that's way away.

I lived in a loft in the River Market up until about 5 years ago. I still miss that loft, but by the time I moved I couldn't stand living downtown. It had become so crowded, and the prices for housing kept going up and up. I'm glad I got to do it when I did. I feel like it was the prefect time to experience it.

These days I live in the northland, and I enjoy it. It's not as exciting as downtown, but it's still easy to get there if I want, and it's quiet up here. Had to make sure I stayed in KC proper so that I'd keep my Google Fiber too.

I'd never touch JoCo though. Everything is too expensive there, and it just feels like a land of generic retail space, chain restaurants, and generic subdivisions.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Jersey City, NJ - great location, hard to stay here though with housing prices skyrocketing... I moved there 12 years ago, and even though it's right next to Manhattan, it was pretty sleepy. An insane amount of people have moved here in the last 5 years, and the traffic has gotten ridiculous - being a pedestrian here is fairly dangerous in some places as people cut through the city to get to the Holland Tunnel.

I love the access to the city, but being able to get away if I need to, or have a quiet weekend - we live right next to a massive state park, that is awesome for running or biking. So we get the best of a lot of worlds.

I just can't stand the weather around here, and I've lived in the Northeast nearly my entire life... so starting to get anxious to try something else.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I moved to Kansas City a little over a decade ago, and though it's had its ups and downs, overall I love it. This city has so much history and so many fascinating things to do.

I lived in a loft in the River Market up until about 5 years ago. I still miss that loft, but by the time I moved I couldn't stand living downtown. It had become so crowded, and the prices for housing kept going up and up. I'm glad I got to do it when I did. I feel like it was the prefect time to experience it.

These days I live in the northland, and I enjoy it. It's not as exciting as downtown, but it's still easy to get there if I want, and it's quiet up here. Had to make sure I stayed in KC proper so that I'd keep my Google Fiber too.

I'd never touch JoCo though. Everything is too expensive there, and it just feels like a land of generic retail space, chain restaurants, and generic subdivisions.

you like the northland? ive been house hunting and that seems like the last area in the metro w/ good public schools and affordable houses. I work in JOCO, so id have a bit of a commute, but i dont really like my options else where in the metro

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Vancouver, and it's the best place I've ever lived in my life. Literally not a week goes by when I'm not out with my partner at some point and remark about how much I love this city. It's the best.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Chicago

No. I don't like big concrete grid cities, apparently. Chicago has a lot to offer for someone who does like that, but it's not for me.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in upstate NY and love it. Its a 2 hour drive to NYC when I feel like being in a city but I get to rent an apt for under $500 and still work in my ideal job.

Oct 27, 2017
you like the northland? ive been house hunting and that seems like the last area in the metro w/ good public schools and affordable houses. I work in JOCO, so id have a bit of a commute, but i dont really like my options else where in the metro

Yeah, I enjoy it. There's plenty of housing options up here too. And yeah, schools outside of the metro KC district are far better. I don't know if I want kids or not, but I still paid attention to school ratings when buying my house, just in case I end up with some.

I work out by the Legends, so I sympathize with the commute. It's not too bad so far though. There's not a ton of traffic, and it's easy to get on 152 and then go over to 435.

Plus there's a ton of random little hole-in-the-wall places to eat up here! There's an indian restaurant in Liberty that has become my girlfriend and my favorite place to eat.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The coast of South Carolina, which just means trashy people who are slightly less worse than the redneck trash inland. But no, I do not like it. South Carolina is a terrible place full of terrible people.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, love it (at least where I live)

A lot of the island sucks but my town is a nice oasis, tucked away from major highways and crazy typical Long Island life (frenetic pace of life, strip malls, aggressive people, self tanning) and I live half mile from the beach so that makes it awesome during the summer. I also get the benefit of living only 10 minutes from the craziness of big shopping centers and amazing food so I can take advantage when I need then recede to my laid back town.

Also, now that I'm a true Long Islander, I can tell you to go fuck yourself if you don't like it here, we don't want you anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Yes. Partially, because I'm only an hour from most of my favorite human beings, and much less for a few key people. But also because I live in a small house in the woods that's still close to cities both big and small, and it's just kind of the perfect spot for me and my partner and our dog.

Of course, that's just for now. We're on the east coast for probably another decade max, and long to move to California in the long term.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I live in Chicago and I love it. There is no place else in the world I'd rather live. I lived in a suburb for a few years and it was cool but last month I moved to the city and it's even better. I dig it all, the culture, the aesthetic, the food. 10/10!

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Born and raised New Englander and wouldn't have it any other way. The cold gets annoying as I get older and my health issues make me feel it more but the only place that meets my two requirements ( has to be liberal, has to have legal weed since I use it for pain management and otherwise would have to take opiates) and I also find interesting is Colorado and that's got the same issue so here I am to stay.

its got its ups and downs, good and bad but I still love it and as a lifer who's ancestry goes back to Plymouth Rock I can kind of move to any of the states and blend in ( most Mainers don't think of me as "from away" even though they all know I am a Masshole, in fact Penobscot county is pretty much my second home and where I feel most comfortable when away from home-Worcester County, MA) and I am a native to the region not just a tiny dot or two in a map.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Born and raised New Englander and wouldn't have it any other way. The cold gets annoying as I get older and my health issues make me feel it more but the only place that meets my two requirements ( has to be liberal, has to have legal weed since I use it for pain management and otherwise would have to take opiates) and I also find interesting is Colorado and that's got the same issue so here I am to stay.
Washington is a blue state with legal weed and Seattle might be the most liberal place conceived. It's also mild and not that cold during the winter, going down to the 30Fs at the lowest.

anyway your ancestral roots are cool