• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Knowing all the tragedies in the world, I am thankful that I live in a first world country in a safe neighbourhood with access to good education and plenty of job opportunities.

I'm not fussy about where I live and how my living is like because so many people have it worse than me and I'd be doing a disservice to the less fortunate if I was petty about my living conditions.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about Washington, though isn't it even whiter there?

it's historically pretty white as a state but Seattle is getting more diverse. Not many Hispanics but there are some, and lots of Asians and a sizeable portion of black people (nothing like where I came from, though: Houston. Plus the neighborhoods have a tragic history of segregation so it's concentrated in certain areas). The most surprising diversity is the amount of Native Americans here. I can see why Sucker Punch made Seattle-local protagonist of Infamous SS a Native American. The name of the city even comes from Chief Seattle

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Having grown up in the Lehigh Valley, PA, I wake up super grateful everyday to live in Montgomery County, MD now. Higher taxes and all that are well worth it.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bailed out of that overtaxed, falling apart shit hole called NYC.

Outside, in my yard, in my underwear.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it's historically pretty white as a state but Seattle is getting more diverse. Not many Hispanics but there are some, and lots of Asians and a sizeable portion of black people (nothing like where I came from, though: Houston. Plus the neighborhoods have a tragic history of segregation so it's concentrated in certain areas). The most surprising diversity is the amount of Native Americans here. I can see why Sucker Punch made Seattle-local protagonist of Infamous SS a Native American. The name of the city even comes from Chief Seattle
Thank you for the info, and I am not being sarcastic I genuinely find that interesting so thank you.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been really enjoying the new place i'm living at. It's a fairly upscale apartment building. It was built in the last year and it seems like they built high quality. Can never hear my neighbors, lots of really nice apartments and amenities like a great gym, coffee bar, a courtyard with a pub and some other places. It's expensive but I actually enjoy coming home after work which I couldn't say for my last place. The surrounding area is nice looking, lots of near by food and stores, not much crime, I can even hear the trains from here which I enjoy.

Only issue is that I may be changing jobs and i'll have a 30-45 minute commute which might be rough. But this is probably the favorite place i've ever lived, and i'm hoping to be here a while.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Arlington, VA. Been here since 2011 and love it.

-3 blocks from work
-Next door to 24 hour Harris Teeter (literally next door)
-7 min walk to metro
-Scooters everywhere for quick travel
-Rebuilt mall complex across the street with legit food, beer and entertainment options
-Solid eating options in the area in general
-5 metro stops from DC and even more amazing food, beer and entertainment options
-Progressive city
-Clean, safe
-Easy to find dates, hookups (when I was doing that)
-Tons of bars
-Feels like a college town
-Mostly mild winters
-Hot summers
-5 min walk to hiking/biking trails

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Far enough from London and its hustle and bustle, but still only a direct 40 min train ride if I do want to partake in its luxuries (or participate in protests, ha).
Pricey though, so I'm thinking of moving, but want to be within easy commuting to the Big Smoke.

Oct 27, 2017
I really like my neighborhood. It's surrounded by forest trails, great public schools, great job opportunities, loads of diverse restaurants, thriving businesses/organizations, etc. The lifestyle choice of a new suburban area is first class in Cypress, Sugarland, Katy, etc. Texas.

Commuting for university/work in the city of Houston is a big NOPE for me, though. I can't stand the traffic. It's miserable on the weekends. Deadly during the holidays. Cypress to Downtown = 40 minutes drive, typically. Including car accidents, new construction, etc ... Over an hour. The public transport isn't too shabby, though.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Seattle is OK. Feels a little too small sometimes.

Much better than the midwest, though.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago is comfortable and easy to build community in, but I wish it had the same energy as NYC. It's a great home base but every once in a while I feel suffocated and need to travel.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Idk. It's comfortable because work is in walking distance and it's fairly safe, but I don't have a lot of friends here. Would rather live in a bigger city, but it's hard to get a new job/apartment, so we'll see.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Im in KC. I really like my city.
  • Its pretty small and traffic isn't bad, so getting around is typically painless.
  • We're known for BBQ, but there's also a ton of varieties of ethnic foods to choose from. Pretty much anything you could want is available somewhere within the metro (some things are lacking however, i wish there were better pizza options). Also have a pretty solid beer scene.
  • Its kind of affordable. Rent is high, but homes are reasonable in certain areas. Currently renting, but I am house hunting. I anticipate getting a 3bed/2bath and having my mortgage and all other expenses being quite a bit less then I'm currently spending in rent on a 1bed/1bath apartment. If I were to move, it would be to a smaller town/city
  • People are typically pretty friendly, but keep to themselves which is nice. We do have quite a few conservatives, since KC is located in a red state, but in the city you typically dont have to deal with that much.
  • Plenty to do. Have the typical festivals, art shows, monthly events that most cities have. Bands on tour either stop here or STL so its 50/50 if you're going to get to see them.

Cons
  • Crime is very bad in certain areas.
  • We have a cult that kind of controls one of the suburbs of the metro.
  • Every time people suggest a BBQ place for folks out of town its Joe's, but IMO there's quite a few better options.
  • Public transportation is non-existent.
I was always a Gates guy when it came to KC BBQ

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland.

A bit more sun wouldn't hurt but otherwise I'm fine. Good quality of life, a lot of nature and superb public transportation.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Nah, not really.
I'm in Seoul, and while the city itself is nice, and the people are fine, the culture is pretty rough. It's all work, all the time. I feel like any sort of life has being squeezed out of everyone for the sake of the "country". Outside of the drinking culture, it's a pretty cold/boring place that is absolutely dominated by the pressure of conformity. Whether it's at home, work or with your friends, you're under constant pressure to be this sort of model Korean. The culture is too much for me. It's kind of depressing, to be honest. I'm currently here because of my wife's job, but will leave this spring. I'd never choose to live in Korea by choice. I'll miss the food though.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, Glasgow is a shit hole.

It's rife with neds and sectarianism. Every single road in a 50 mile radius looks like a war happened yesterday with the potholes. There's graffiti everywhere. Most areas are totally impoverished. The weather sucks.

Nov 8, 2017
Netherlands overall is pretty great, but I much preferred Apeldoorn (where I used to live) than Amersfoort (where I live now).

I've heard that Dutch people make jokes about Apeldoorn being a boring city, but it's got far more things to do, better places to eat, etc. than Amersfoort. Only real advantage of Amersfoort is being closer to Utrecht and Amsterdam. Amersfoort itself has pretty much nothing.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well I lived in a noisy suburb in Stockholm for years and last year I moved to a nicer area and it's crazy how silent it's over here. I'm still not used to it and frankly it's weirding me out. But I love the place , I'm close to literally everything, may it be a mall, central city or back home to relatives.

Sweden in general is a great place to live in. Miss nice beaches though!

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
NOPE.

Look, in theory, Houston is great. It's one of the most diverse cities in the country. It's got amazing food, and the Houston Rockets, but after 29 years, I am done. Traffic is a pain in the fucking ass. Texas is full of people I cannot identify with, and it's too fucking hot.

My wife and I have this plan to leave for Tacoma, Washington in 6 months, and I'm so excited. I've never been more excited for something in my life, to be honest. In fact, that's why I'm awake at 3:30am. We would opt for Seattle, but I probably wont have a job right away, so I doubt we could afford it on her income alone.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
No, I live near a busy road so I hear loud traffic going past all damn day. The town itself is ok but pretty small and boring. i won't hesitate to move when I get the chance.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Coming from LA, the bay area was kinda shit, especially the San Jose, and pretty much the whole of Santa Clara County. It's just a conglomerate state that's ruled by money money money, with no nightlife.

Anyway, I moved closer to SF because I missed city life. We'll see if that helps.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a small village in Yorkshire, UK. There are 2 pubs, a village shop, a church, a tea room and.. that's it. Everything else is fields, although I'm only a 20 minute drive into the city for work.

I adore it and hope to stay forever.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's always a compromise. I've lived in many different places and you end up wanting all the good bits from each place, but you just can't have it blended together like your favorite smoothie.

I now live in Stuttgart in the south of Germany. I love my flat, the big balcony, all the little shops nearby and the access to public transport to the city center and the airport (roughly 15 and 20 minutes respectively). It's great having the option to enjoy all the cultural events the city offers. I used to live in a smaller town and I missed that sort of offer and also the big city's superior infrastructures. However, it's a pretty conservative area and I come from a different part of the country, the Rhine Valley area around Cologne, where people are a lot more fun and open-minded. I think I will eventually move back, unless Amor strikes or something. I'd certainly miss a lot from here though, including the spectacular nature nearby.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I live in the mountains in CO. My house is at 10,000 feet - much cooler, and I love it. Never really gets above 90 degrees out here

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
NOPE.

Look, in theory, Houston is great. It's one of the most diverse cities in the country. It's got amazing food, and the Houston Rockets, but after 29 years, I am done. Traffic is a pain in the fucking ass. Texas is full of people I cannot identify with, and it's too fucking hot.

My wife and I have this plan to leave for Tacoma, Washington in 6 months, and I'm so excited. I've never been more excited for something in my life, to be honest. In fact, that's why I'm awake at 3:30am. We would opt for Seattle, but I probably wont have a job right away, so I doubt we could afford it on her income alone.

You will love Tacoma. Washington is one of my favorite states to visit for work

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Where I live it's pretty safe. Safe from natural disasters, flooding, animals that want to kill me, extreme heat and extreme cold. It's also 20/40 minutes away from two well regarded historic cities and 3 airports. Can't complain.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
City itself is fine, I just hate that you absolutely need a car for 99% of the activities. No walking (dangerous, far) and no decent public transit (35+ degrees and no AC, very unreliable schedule, very few lines). I like driving and Uber isnt expensive so that isnt a really big issue, the bad thing here is the people. 80% Bolsonaro vote shows the dark side of the city lol, but I used to dislike people prior to this shitshow already, Bolsominions are just the cherry on top of the cake.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I like the city I live in (and I live in a good neighbourhood too. Quiet, close to a park and still in cycling distance from the city center. But my city, even though it is one of the majors, is small compared to foreign cities), but I don't really like living in Belgium. Don't get me wrong, lot of things are really good here (healthcare, beer, fries, chocolate, ... ), but it can be such a drap place, I don't really like our culture and politics are absolute shit these days.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Orlando is great if you make more than 3 to 4 grand a month, I don't.

In general its fine though I've lived in worse places. I do want to move to Washington or Texas though.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I live equally between Tunis and Beirut. My judgment of the cities is clouded by my context there.

I'm a student in Beirut in a very nice area with a full scholarship. I get to live the " good life" there. Beirut is incredible and is an amazing mix of the east and the west ( as cliché as this is ). It's also very safe on the day-to-day side of things and I've never felt the need to hide myself or who I am . Definitely going to miss it when I leave.

Tunis is also very nice. I'm from there so I cannot be very open about certain things as it will " haunt " me down ( being gay is illegal here for one). I like the food, my friends and the lifestyle. It's also incredibly beautiful and progressive depending on what you do and who you associate yourself with. However, for me to fully be satisfied after graduating, I'll have to find a good job, live in a secure and comfortable area and frequent specific places with friends. You can have an incredible life there but only if you have money and overlook the shitty parts and the turbulent political scene.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of any other country I'd prefer to live in. Visit? Definitely, but not live in.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, Glasgow is a shit hole.

It's rife with neds and sectarianism. Every single road in a 50 mile radius looks like a war happened yesterday with the potholes. There's graffiti everywhere. Most areas are totally impoverished. The weather sucks.
Absolute nonsense, Glasgow has its issues but it's easily one of the best cities to live in the UK. Loads of culture, bunch of well regarded universities, and affordable property.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
No. I hate it here. I always wanted to get away, but never did. Now, I'm too old and it's too late for me.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love it, downtown vancouver is great...i have a house in pheonix and I really enjoy it there too..we fly between the two and a condo in vegas