• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
With the revelation that Justin Royland is a massive piece of shit, I started to think about the problematic merch I own and what I should do with it.

I've got 3 Rick and Morty t-shirts, 1 Solar Opposites t-shirt, a Rick and Morty Funko. The shirts were all from Tee Public so they weren't official merch.

From Harry Potter, I have a fleece blanket my grandmother gave me for Christmas in like 2004, plus a mug from around the time of the first movie. We keep pencils in it and the blanket is a designated dog blanket.

In a box somewhere I have the Skyrim soundtrack signed on CD.

I have three Overwatch hoodies that I bought before all the Blizzard stuff came out.

I'm torn on what I should do with this stuff. The creators no longer profit, but does it send the wrong message?

Do you own any problematic stuff? If so what did you do with it?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I have some WWE shirts. Haven't bought one in a decade or so though.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
harry potter blu rays. got them as a gift before i learned she was a terf.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Harry Potter books and films. And I have various Blizzard related items, some from when I was working there.

The answer is, I just keep them. The damage (of purchasing) was done long ago and, in some cases, recent(ish) revelations haven't tainted them enough for me to want to bin them.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Some WWE DVD boxsets from pre-2010. And some Brand New CDs/vinyl. :/

My wife has the hardcover Harry Potter boxset.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't bother me. I have old WoW Collectors Editions on my bookshelf. I don't think it would bother me unless I had like an autographed memorabilia with the problematic person in question.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I do own some Rick & Morty clothing, but I don't believe you should dispose of that stuff when there are being made clear attempts to separate the IP from the problematic individual.

Just move on and don't buy new things that you know are problematic like Harry Potter related items and help others learn about what might be problematic with franchises like those.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I can hardly imagine a more tiresome exercise than trying to go through things I own and their proximity to being "problematic".

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
A couple of Overwatch shirts (I've never even played the game!) and a Gen:Lock hoodie that's a bit too snug for me.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. And I'm currently listing it on eBay with a description that insults the buyer and the artist who made it.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I have an Overwatch shirt which, ironically, earned me special pass in the Harry Potter ride at Universal because one of the guys handling the queue was a player. This was long before I came to know J.K's TERF rhetoric and Blizzard's issues.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I can think of at the moment and I don't really parse my possessions like that anyway. Though I do obviously steer clear of buying things that I know to be associated with shitheads.

Edit: reading the thread reminded me I do have Firefly DVD, but honestly that was Minnear's baby so much more than Whedon's.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I can make a list of things that I found out were problematic after I already purchased them.

- the Cyberpunk 2077 book
- all the US HP books, including 4 of the UK versions I found in a thrift store, including the extra little books and the museum hardcover book that came out a few years ago
- Activision/Blizzard merch including a massive Horde blanket that's like three feet from me right now.
- issues of Xmen drawn by Ethan Von Sciver.
- Michael Jackson albums
- Rick and Morty shit somewhere in boxes
- had a poster of Evangeline Lilly but I'm pretty sure that didn't survive a previous move
- a ton of old anime shit that would probably get me kicked out of progressive society for still having

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Artbooks for ActiBlizzard owned games, even though I haven't booted up Battlenet in years. Does that even count as merch?
I have a few anime figures I got many years ago.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I used to own three CD albums from the band Lostprophets, but I threw those out long ago after the lead singer was convicted of being a pedophile.

Some merchandise, like from Rick & Morty, might be okay since Roiland is no longer a part of that franchise, and they will definitely have more merchandise to sell in the near future.

In general, it's completely up to you. You already bought the merchandise so if the stuff bothers you that much, then just throw it out. If not, and the stuff brings more good feelings than bad, then keep them.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
Off the top of my head just the hardcover Harry Potter books. Don't think I would get rid of them but they sit in a box in the attic

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. Loads. Mostly from before I knew they were problematic.

Mainly music and my Harry Potter stuff I accumulated when I was a kid.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A ton. I'm sure. Over the years many things have proven to be shitty.

I have a Lostprophets CD and used to have a t-shirt (though I think that's gone)

If and when I find it I'm going to destroy it.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Bought my wife that giant Harry Potter blu ray chest back before JK went mask off.

Got some records and a shirt I bought seeing Daughters on tour. Def won't wear that shirt again, not sure if I can ever go back and spin those records either.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
*looks at anime collection, pushes it further under the bed*

....No, not me personally.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I've only tossed one thing out due to outrage.

Ice Cube said some stupid right wing shit a year or so ago when I was having a bad day and I toss his fucking Funko Pop out the damn window. I never did go pick it up and it disappeared when i went out the next day.

Still got his albums and I won't get rid of them. My anger at his opinions doesn't change the fact that he made Death Certificate.