• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Link: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ke-adapt-bb-android-app-update-software-break

Screen_Shot_2019_02_20_at_9.59.37_AM.png

Nike's brand-new Adapt BB smart sneakers have stopped working for some users because of a bad Android update just days after they were released. Affected owners say either their left or right shoe no longer pairs with Nike's app, meaning it can't be used to tighten their fresh pair of $350 self-lacing shoes.

Some people have had success getting the shoes to function again after a hard reset. It's unclear if people can still manually tighten the shoes through their side buttons, or if the update shut them down completely. Some users report that the update caused the motor to stop working, even through the physical buttons.

The issue appears to stem from an early version of the software built into Nike's sneakers. Some sneakers weren't shipped with the latest version of the software, and if they don't receive the update in time, the pairing process with the latest Android app can lead to them locking up.

The sneakers' Android app apparently isn't very good even when it is working. Users say that the app isn't as built out as the iOS version and is missing features like the ability to set different tightness presets.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I was half expecting to read that the shoes are stuck on people's feet or something.

Oct 27, 2017
How did we get to the point that people are willing to spend $350 on self-lacing shoes and fiddle around.with an app versus just bending over and spending 5 seconds tying them yourself?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe one day technology will advance enough that our shoes can function as standalone products, and not have to pair with an app. Maybe by generation 4 or 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have physical manual buttons do they not?

They do, however the article I posted in the OP states that the shoes motor stopped working even through the physical manual buttons:

Some people have had success getting the shoes to function again after a hard reset. It's unclear if people can still manually tighten the shoes through their side buttons, or if the update shut them down completely. Some users report that the update caused the motor to stop working, even through the physical buttons.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HELP I can't take off my shoes. Oh god. It's like my feet are being binded.

Edit: Oh, they have a manual button. Well... damnit. I wanted to read stories about people who had to cut $350 pairs of shoes off their feet.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
When introducing software complexity to a solved problem(shoe laces) goes wrong. Next up the battery.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HELP I can't take off my shoes. Oh god. It's like my feet are being binded.

Edit: Oh, they have a manual button. Well... damnit. I wanted to read stories about people who had to cut $350 pairs of shoes off their feet.

The motor stops working even with the buttons!!! It's in the article I posted in OP:

Some users report that the update caused the motor to stop working, even through the physical buttons.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since when have Nike owners ever given a shit about functionality? these things could require dual D batteries each and they'd still go for 100$ more than retail on stockx

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously hope nobody bought shoes that have this mechanism, haha. It's about as dumb as those hoverboards.
Nice tech and feels kinda futuristic but useless. Just tie your shoes and walk.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of hoping it was a bug that was causing the shoes laces to tie themselves together tripping people up.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm late for work, my shoes crashed and I had to do a hard reset.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I love the idea of the BTTF2 shoes, i loved that Nike were making them a 'reality' but past that initial announcement i just utterly lost all interest firstly with the stupid pricing but then they announced you could pair them with an app? WHY? people just wanted a cool pressure sensor or hidden button to tighten a shoe and pretend to be marty mcfly, people wanted it to be cheap and prices to drop and Nike decide "hmm lets add bluetooth and make it app controlled" WHY? they deserve to refund everyone for the sheer stupidity of this

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of the BTTF2 shoes, i loved that Nike were making them a 'reality' but past that initial announcement i just utterly lost all interest firstly with the stupid pricing but then they announced you could pair them with an app? WHY? people just wanted a cool pressure sensor or hidden button to tighten a shoe and pretend to be marty mcfly, people wanted it to be cheap and prices to drop and Nike decide "hmm lets add bluetooth and make it app controlled" WHY? they deserve to refund everyone for the sheer stupidity of this

"Stupid pricing" is what Nike is essentially known for when it comes to their shoes.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How is it that using an mobile app is faster and/or more convenient than just lacing your shoes?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There are always going to be software bugs at the introduction of any new product. It's fun to think of your shoes locking up though - better hope they don't get a blue screen!

I like the idea of the BTTF shoes, but these are not those yet - these are super slow and clunky compared to the ones in the movie. I'll buy them once they are that fast. For now I love my shoes with the BOA fastener - it's a similar idea, but without the motor. You twist a dial to tighten, you pull the dial out to instantly "untie". Sounds like I'm winding up an old wind-up toy every time I put my shoes on :) Much faster than tying, and better control over tightness.