• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Inspired by the Mewtwo card thread. Every time something like that pops up like "who would pay that amount of money for a Pokemon card??" I wonder about something that is socially acceptable in paying large sums of money for: jewelry. Chains, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, gold, diamonds, assorted precious gems, etc. I went through a phase as a kid where I was into gem collecting and local gem shows used to come around where you could pick up pretty polished things like tigers eyes and whatnot for a few bucks each. But when it came to a perfectly shined, cut, and graded stone? Not my thing. Pure gold and a high karot count? That's neat, I guess. I would never pay that much for those things, though.

Jewelry has long been more a thing of status and wealth, and apparently with Millennial "killing the diamond" industry, I guess the interest is going away a little? Or is it? How do people feel and value jewelry/precious gems, even if income WAS very disposable? I honestly do not think I would even bother, even with lots of money. And yet, I value things of actual rarity like collectibles and such. Those that have a finite amount made. Gems/gold/etc? Those can just continuously be mined, anyways. They can still be used as currency, but I just don't value them in the way that many people do. How do you guys feel about them?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Not just jewelry - watches too. Buying an expensive gadget or computer will make eyes roll, but paying insane money for a fancy watch is seen as classy. Never understood that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No. I don't own a single piece of jewelry. Gonna have to get a wedding band one of these days, but I have no intention of spending any more than I have to to get something that suits me.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont really have a thing for jewelry, watches, shoes, etc

hell, i play video games every day and i dont collect those either. as soon as im done with them i sell them and move on

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
No. I don't own a single piece of jewelry. Gonna have to get a wedding band one of these days, but I have no intention of spending any more than I have to to get something that suits me.

Isn't the saying something like "you're supposed to set aside 3-months' salary to afford an engagement ring" or something? (I'm guessing the diamond industry imposed that...)

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nope. Might buy myself an Ace Ring in the future but outside of that I really can't see any reason to own or wear jewellery, especially stuff that goes up into the thousands.

I do own two watches (a regular one that I haven't worn in ages because getting the battery changed is too expensive and a Fitbit) but they were both gifts.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Isn't the saying something like "you're supposed to set aside 3-months' salary to afford an engagement ring" or something? (I'm guessing the diamond industry imposed that...)

LOL. My fiancee would have killed me if I spent that much on her ring. Like there is a 0% chance she would have said yes if I proposed with $15000 ring.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I like jewelry but I spend very little on it. I buy a lot of really cheap cute necklaces from China off of Ebay or Ali Express. They're usually a couple dollars with shipping included. I also prefer most semiprecious stones over the more expensive types. Diamonds are boring. I've inherited several pieces of diamond jewelry that I never wear, since they're not my style. There's no reason why accessorizing needs to cost a lot.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Literally don't own or wear a single item of jewelry. I wear a smartwatch which I would say doesn't count.

So no, don't value it at all.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't get jewelry. At least with collectibles, there's usually some fundamentals that you can use to determine if they feel like a good investment - there's set scarcity, there's usually some significance, etc. You can theoretically make money by reselling them later. Jewelry has a continuously growing supply, and the resale value for something like a store bought diamond is terrible, there's no investment potential there at all. Plus I find most jewelry to just be kind of ugly.

I like watches, though. They're neat, especially mechanical ones.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
LOL. My fiancee would have killed me if I spent that much on her ring. Like there is a 0% chance she would have said yes if I proposed with $15000 ring.

But but I thought we were told that the bigger the rock = more love??

I have seen a couple of my well-to-do friends' rings and the diamonds are so big that it looks like they would actually be super annoying to even wear.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I wish I personally valued jewely, i'd value pure diamonds as a few cents in price, buy them all and then sell for their real value.
I'd be rich!

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I was really in to hemp necklaces when I was 14. If someone gave me an expensive piece of jewelry, I would probably laugh.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
A few months back I was in need of a new watch and decided to drop a pretty decent chunk of change on a nice one.

I could see myself doing it again.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't value them at all. Waste of money. Don't really see point in wearing them either, what are they supposed to do to looks? Just show off wealth (something i find tasteless)?
Don't even find most jewels or noble metals particularly pretty. Art and craftsmanship i can appreciate but those can be done with any material.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. In fact my gf and I have been talking engagement rings and she doesn't want anything expensive. Neither of us care about jewelry and the industry is terrible.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yah, I like jewelry. I've also recently decided to try to avoid costume jewelry and stick with fine jewelry.

I'm pretty obviously in the minority here.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
No, I hate jewelry. I don't even wear a wedding band, and I wear a $15 watch I got from Walmart.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Not at all. I don't even own a watch.

I had a wedding band, but I didn't wear it regularly thanks to my job, and when our house was burglarized it was stolen. I've never replaced it.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just my wedding ring, but that wasn't expensive. Like it was I think $300 for a tungsten ring.

My wife and I both wear a Samsung smartwatch.

I don't begrudge people who like jewelry, but it isnt my thing.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I don't put much value in jewelry. I don't own any. I do think some accessories can look nice--chokers are pretty attractive--but they needn't be expensive or shiny. I wouldn't consider that a "jewelry."

I used to own a fun xenomorph ring, but I stopped wearing it because it was kind of uncomfortable to have a ring on all day. I've thought about getting an ace ring once or twice, but I don't know if I"d really acclimate to it.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really see point in wearing them either, what are they supposed to do to looks? Just show off wealth (something i find tasteless)?

I mean, it used to only be worn almost exclusively by royalty/the super wealthy back in the day. Now it's still a huge status symbol, and way bigger in some cultures than others. Sure, they can look nice in formal wear, like a watch with a suit, or necklace/earrings with a dress, but that's about it. But I don't value "look nice" with thousands upon thousands of dollars, either.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I've never liked wearing any form of accessories so naaah, not even hats. Last time I did regularly was my teams ball cap back in middle/high school.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Not just jewelry - watches too. Buying an expensive gadget or computer will make eyes roll, but paying insane money for a fancy watch is seen as classy. Never understood that.

Computers generally aren't social status symbols. Certain types of people just have this primal compulsion to buy things with projected social meaning as a way to flaunt their wealth (or give the illusion of it).

I've heard stories of people buying iPods early on without even putting any mp3s on them because it was just seen as a way of saying "hey look at me, I'm upper middle class!"

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
I like it. Not gonna spend anymore than maybe $25 on a necklace or a watch(thought that depends on certain variables especially with smarts watches and the sort or mechanicals) and I don't do rings, but I get the appeal. Gem stones I like, but I'm not gonna spend money on them unless it's cheap, but nice looking ones like amethyst and obsidian or others. Shoes I'm a bit more willing to spend more, but more in terms of function and comfort than brand name(no, your $800 Armani's do not impress me). I'm more of a tech guy myself, but that's a whole nother beast right there.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Computers generally aren't social status symbols. Certain types of people just have this primal compulsion to buy things with projected social meaning as a way to flaunt their wealth (or give the illusion of it).

I've heard stories of people buying iPods early on without even putting any mp3s on them because it was just seen as a way of saying "hey look at me, I'm upper middle class!"

That irritates the fuck out of me since I consider iOS to be inferior and just a fucking pain in the ass to use compared to Android or simple MP3's, but people still buy them in droves for the shitty status symbol.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's a family heirloom, yes. Otherwise, I'd very much rather spend money on silicon.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i've got a few pieces of jewelry. they just sit in the safe. i don't care for jewelry so i don't wear them.