• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Recently got into watches. Definitely not deep into it as some of the people over in the Hangout Community. I've kept all my purchases under 500 so far.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Only sentimental stuff. I have my nanna's wedding ring on a chain that I wear. I have a Genie themed watch, (with his arms as the hour and minute hands, like the classic Mickey style watches) that I almost always wear.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I've got two rings I wear everyday, a wedding ring and a ring that my wife bought me when we first started dating.

I do have a pretty extensive collection of watches though.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
My grandmother is dying soon and is trying to make sure her grandchildren understand how much some of this jewelry (both her and her husband's) meant to them.

It's tough because none of us care about jewelery and think it's largely a waste of money, but she clearly has a lot of sentimental and monetary value attached to them.

I don't know what to do with this stuff. I'm never going to wear it. I don't want to sell it. Is it just going to sit in a drawer?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I bought it for myself? No. If someone bought it for me or gave it to me as a gift? Absolutely.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
My grandmother is dying soon and is trying to make sure her grandchildren understand how much some of this jewelry (both her and her husband's) meant to them.

It's tough because none of us care about jewelery and think it's largely a waste of money, but she clearly has a lot of sentimental and monetary value attached to them.

I don't know what to do with this stuff. I'm never going to wear it. I don't want to sell it. Is it just going to sit in a drawer?

I think inheriting jewelry is a whole other thing, especially with the importance they hold to some older generations. I think some people keep these in a safety deposit box, since they are sentimental and 'priceless' in a sense.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I think inheriting jewelry is a whole other thing, especially with the importance they hold to some older generations. I think some people keep these in a safety deposit box, since they are sentimental and 'priceless' in a sense.
Yeah but they're worthless in a box and I don't think that's what she would want us to do with them either.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Not value as in "wow, those earrings are $300", but value as in "wow my girlfriend feels beautiful and looks beautiful when she wears those earrings".

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but they're worthless in a box and I don't think that's what she would want us to do with them either.

Well, it's all up to your own decision. Thinking myself, I guess making some kind of art display or framing it in one of those popping-out picture frames could be another option on honoring the wishes without wearing them?

I remember after my grandma passed her jewelry was to be split up between the grandkids. It was almost like watching them shop with how much they "had their eyes on x piece" >_> Personally, I was more hoping to get some other little decorations that held sentimental value to me growing up, but all of those were already I guess taken before I got there :/ Felt like being around a flock of vultures (I don't know that side of the family that well...)

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I have a collection of scientific instruments and mechanical computing devices. They are beautiful in my eyes because of the principles they embody, even though we now live in a world that renders them obsolete. To a certain extent they are also beautiful to play with, and I have occasionally worn one of my pocket slide rules in a shirt pocket as an adornment that reflects my lifelong interest in mathematics and computation.

But cut jewels, I have no interest in. It's a huge racket and I don't understand the pleasure people are supposed to derive from them. I live on a sea coast so I see the most splendid sky views every day. No crystal lattice can compete.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I only wear one piece of jewelry and it's my wedding band, and it was my grandfather's, so yes, I value it. It has almost no monetary value, it's a plain 14k gold ring from the 1940s.

If I ever lost it I'd be way more disappointed than if I lost a ring that was worth a lot more but had no history to it.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I wear two pieces of jewelry every day - my white gold wedding band, and my gold chain necklace that was passed down to me by my father. I almost never take either of them off. So I'd say I value them.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Could not give less of a shit. I own zero jewelry items.

I like seeing cool looking jewelry on women though.

I'm against the general idea of diamonds

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't own any myself but love watching it on my girlfriend when it's something she really loves. Same with my mom and sisters. My mom really taught us how to appreciate jewelry, she was even an amateur jewelry maker for like a decade. Now I get to use my knowledge to go out with my girlfriend and find nice stuff or bring her jewelry that is native to wherever part of the world I am visiting when Im away for work.

Oct 29, 2017
My wedding ring cost $100 and I'm fine with that being my lifetime jewelry spending limit.

However, my wife loves jewelry, so I've got to deal with it. :)

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jewelry makes absolutely no sense to me. I really don't "get" it.

Its pretty and requires a lot of craftsmanship. A lot of jewelry is gaudy and looks mass produced and cheap. But if you can go to a master jeweler and get a piece done the exact way you want it, it's a nice object to have

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I have some that I keep around for sentimental reasons. I can understand the appeal, but I wouldn't go out and acquire more just for its own sake.

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I wear a gold chain all the time (under my clothing). I also wear a gold wedding ring, a gold diamond ring and a gold signet ring with my family crest.
I also wear a gold wrist chain, and a watch.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes but it doesn't need to be expensive. It's about sentimental value.

I wouldn't trade the beaded bracelet my daughter made for me with anything in the world.

Or my wedding ring. Which isn't fancy or expensive.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its pretty and requires a lot of craftsmanship. A lot of jewelry is gaudy and looks mass produced and cheap. But if you can go to a master jeweler and get a piece done the exact way you want it, it's a nice object to have

That's the part i don't get.
Jewelry at it's core is "useless", it's not a tool, it's not a toy, it can't be consumed, it doesn't necessarily represent anything.
I get that shiny things are appealing, but most jewelry just doesn't look good either. unless it has some unique design or something.

The rarity thing is super odd too, it's just minerals. why is a higher carat of gold better than a lower carat? gold is malleable, so you're actually paying more for a less stable product. and along this line of thinking, i'd consider artificial diamonds way more interesting than natural diamonds due to the technological advances actually required to get to that state.

humans are weird.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the part i don't get.
Jewelry at it's core is "useless", it's not a tool, it's not a toy, it can't be consumed, it doesn't necessarily represent anything.
I get that shiny things are appealing, but most jewelry just doesn't look good either. unless it has some unique design or something.

The rarity thing is super odd too, it's just minerals. why is a higher carat of gold better than a lower carat? gold is malleable, so you're actually paying more for a less stable product. and along this line of thinking, i'd consider artificial diamonds way more interesting than natural diamonds due to the technological advances actually required to get to that state.

humans are weird.

Maslow pyramid of needs, I guess. I have everything I need to survive, I have all the tools that I need, I can afford every toy I want and I have a loving partner that I love more than anything. What is left? Art and pretty things. I have bought a couple of pieces at side-walk kiosks in Italy but most of the stuff I've got is custom made.

Once you start buying jewelry you realize things. My sister is allergic to most band materials, but she can wear gold because its neutral. Some stones look weird inlet in gold, but look good in silver, so I know that I wont even consider those for her. Diamonds can be nice sometimes, but get boring for me. I prefer having a design with a creative design and small amount of precious stones laid in in key places.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a few nice watches but also some junk stylish ones. Also have some chains and rings but don't wear them all the time, depends on the occasion. Gold is tacky AF imo, I usually go for silver.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Every man needs atleast one good dress watch.

Other than that no, not unless it's from someone I really care about.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Not at all. I feel bad because people buy me shit I never wear. I have a Seiko that just stopped working due to sitting for a decade .
I will buy my partner like a 200 dollar ring or earrings but she doesn't seem to care what they're worth either

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't get it at all. I have one piece of jewelry I value and it's a ring that belonged to my grandfather.

I just don't understand the need to spend obscene amounts of money on shiny rocks. Are we cavemen still?

Yes I will spend obscene amounts of money on other silly and unnecessary things, that's not the point!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
other than wristband watches no jewelry really goes with my style. i could get behind getting a few baller chains and rings but it wouldn't really 'add' to anything

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh a nice auto or solar watch does make you feel kinda nice imo. And yeah girls love a big ring. Just buy a hearts and arrows mossy, no one can tell the difference. People are like dammmmn look at that ring with my wife lol.

Same thing you can do with mossy studs or bracelets or necklaces. People are like shiittt.

Even machine testers confuse mossy for diamonds.

Trick is you can't really go over a carat unless you're actually rich as fuck or people will assume it's fake. 1 carat is small enough people think you can swing it.

I don't need a Rolex or any of that shit. Citizens and seikos are good enough for me. They still look super nice and kinda still have that cred of being a nice, functional watch.

I just have a white gold band. I kinda do think it's odd when dudes have diamonds in their rings but if they like it cool.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The diamond industry is such a scummy practice. Fabricated value, strip mining, worker abuse. It's a market that should not be supported.

Now there is a new industry that is able to fabricate and actually "grow" diamonds in labs. They are 100% diamonds but of course the traditional diamond industry is saying that they are not "real" diamonds. These new grown diamonds are significantly cheaper and it's crashing the diamond market, so there's a lot of controversy about it.

Buy a grown diamond. You can't tell the difference and they're a fraction of the price. Screw the traditional diamond industry.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not even a little bit. I've always found it particularly annoying that diamonds are the most prized stone, despite being the most uninteresting.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I can think of few things as useless, to be honest. I understand sentimental value, but I can't understand spending a ton of money on new jewelry.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Computers generally aren't social status symbols. Certain types of people just have this primal compulsion to buy things with projected social meaning as a way to flaunt their wealth (or give the illusion of it).

I've heard stories of people buying iPods early on without even putting any mp3s on them because it was just seen as a way of saying "hey look at me, I'm upper middle class!"

But that's my point: why would something need to be a social status thing to be justifiable as a purchase in people's eyes?

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I value the pieces I made, although I don't believe I still possess even a single one of them. There's an ache to that realization. So I guess I *must* value jewelry.