• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use wifi to play fighting games online?

• Yes, I usually play casual modes or with friends

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Yes, I usually play competitive modes (ranked)

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • No, I usually do not

Votes: 236 56.1%
  • I don't play fighting games online

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • I don't play fighting games at all.

Votes: 22 5.2%

• Total voters

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
PSA: Before you post your up/down bandwidth speeds: just don't.

It's irrelevant to the issue at hand and exposes your ignorance.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This is yet another reason why we need proper rollback netcode in every FG.

You were told why it's not easy to do it though.

I'd rather deal with networking on my layers than ever deal with fighting game code. It has to be designed to deal with that factor if not it all goes to waste. My issues are low level OS things we can fix with little problems

I'm not against your idea but it will disgustingly hard to get japanese developers to give a fuck and early in game development when it matters

Pretty much this for me too. Besides the switch's awful WiFi, I've never had any issues with WiFi in any game.

Just because there are people playing on their shitty $30 Comcast router doesn't mean all WiFi users have bad internet. I have everything on WiFi in my house because I can't run Ethernet anywhere due to the easy my house and network is setup without spending $2k+ and it's working perfectly fine without it.

The wifi hate is unreasonable. Airtime fixed wifi with or without sqm on a solid router will give better baseline latency than shitty ethernet on fifo.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I only play fighting games using free McDonalds WiFi.

Hell no! Plug your shit in... if possible

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wired but it doesn't seem to make a difference, online play is an inferior experience no matter how you're connected

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Wired always, but being at the mercy of the worse connection is no fun. The teleporting in SF5 is a mess.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a wired connection that I use for fighting games on Switch or PS4. I have a long-ass commute though, and sometimes play Smash online using my phone as a hotspot. Apologies to anyone I've fought using that method.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I've played fighting games on Wifi for a long time, no ones ever complained about my connection. If you set it up properly. But, whether you like it or not people will play how they can. Everyone wants to complain about something 🤷‍♂️ it gets old...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Modern wi-fi is a hell of a lot better than powerline. A good ac or ax router will put a powerline adapter to shame in terms of both throughput and latency.

This whole wi-fi = bad is both outdated and basing itself mostly on people with shit tier hardware.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I play on Wi-Fi and I very rarely have connection problems. Even on games that people say have bad connection problems (like Smash).

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's very rare that I find someone that can completely destroy me, it happens sometimes not very often though, I beat people that have 2,000-3,000 hrs playtime

There's one player i 3 stocked that had 2,000 hrs playtime

If you have to say you're the best at something, you probably aren't.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Modern wi-fi is a hell of a lot better than powerline. A good ac or ax router will put a powerline adapter to shame in terms of both throughput and latency.

This whole wi-fi = bad is both outdated and basing itself mostly on people with shit tier hardware.
The issue with many people and wifi is more down to them getting interference and not understanding how to solve that or that it's even a thing.
it's very rare that I find someone that can completely destroy me, it happens sometimes not very often though, I beat people that have 2,000-3,000 hrs playtime

There's one player i 3 stocked that had 2,000 hrs playtime
That's not really telling me anything lol. Beating people with high playtime? People with high playtime can still be mediocre/bad. That doesn't say "one of the best in the World".

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
If you have to say you're the best at something, you probably aren't.
1gew1wivm8241.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with many people and wifi is more down to them getting interference and not understanding how to solve that or that it's even a thing.

Yeah but you're recommending going about getting a powerline adapter that does not work in many people's homes and typically has far higher latency than a good wi-fi signal.

If someone is really paranoid about wanting the best signal if they don't have the option to wire directly, they can get a tri-band router with a dedicated band for games devices to reduce collisions further.

That being said, an average latency in the low single digits is not a problem. Typical AC latency is around 1-2ms, with peaks at under 10ms. This is well within the fault tolerance of online fighting engines and your perceived improvement from going to wired is purely placebo.

Of course, if your only experience is gaming on your ISP's moderm/router combo on 2.4GHz, I can understand. But assuming your modem is in bridge mode and you have a modern router with wireless AC or better within a reasonable range, you will not see a difference between wired/wireless.

I would rather be on WiFi on a good router than on ethernet on a shitty ISP combo router.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. If I can help it, I use ethernet.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Hehe, claiming to be one of the best in the world, I'm getting nostalgic GameFAQs flashbacks.

On topic - I admit that I used to play SC5 on WiFi occasionally because the TV was on a different floor than the router, so I was a horrible person, sorry world. Today my setup allows for always wired connections, though.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
The wifi hate is unreasonable. Airtime fixed wifi with or without sqm on a solid router will give better baseline latency than shitty ethernet on fifo.

People don't understand how important it is to have proper equipment. I used to have constant dropout issues on a gigabyte PCIe WiFi card I had, and when I swapped motherboards I got one with integrated WiFi because those are generally more solid. I have not had any internal networking issues since then. There's a much higher chance of Comcast fucking something up down the line than my WiFi being iffy, and I can tell when it is them because I have a friend who lives in the same node as me. If he starts getting packet loss at the same time I do, then it's obviously a node issue with Comcast.

Edit: and just in case one of you says "it's because you use the default modem/router" I have my own Modem & Router that performs almost 10x better than the $50 Arris router Comcast wanted me to pay $10/mo for.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I am a decent human being who uses toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, uses soap and a washcloth, washes my legs (and feet) every day, and plays online only on ethernet.

ResetEra has really disappointed me these last couple months.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you're recommending going about getting a powerline adapter that does not work in many people's homes
Well I did say it depends on your own household wiring, so its not like I'm saying it will definitely work for everyone. It's a suggestion I gave because it's something that has worked well for me. I don' t have any other option available to me due to the distance of the router and number of concrete walls inbetween. The connection would be too weak, even for the purpose of browsing the net reliably. I'm able to get 2.4ghz and 5Ghz wifi and ethernet access in my office/room where before, all I would get is an intermittent 2.4Ghz signal.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
People don't understand how important it is to have proper equipment. I used to have constant dropout issues on a gigabyte PCIe WiFi card I had, and when I swapped motherboards I got one with integrated WiFi because those are generally more solid. I have not had any internal networking issues since then. There's a much higher chance of Comcast fucking something up down the line than my WiFi being iffy, and I can tell when it is them because I have a friend who lives in the same node as me. If he starts getting packet loss at the same time I do, then it's obviously a node issue with Comcast.

Edit: and just in case one of you says "it's because you use the default modem/router" I have my own Modem & Router that performs almost 10x better than the $50 Arris router Comcast wanted me to pay $10/mo for.

Most people aren't in to deep networking so I can't blame em.

Garbage wifi almost made walk away from online gaming at the start of the decade until I fixed a lot of issues surrounding it. Good hardware and tuning make networking night and day in terms of different experiences.

If most online gamers knew and understood how bad the hardware/software they get for networking fucks them there would be a revolt.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only use Wifi because my router is across the room and I hate wires. It works just fine for anything that I play...

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
When I do hop online it's usually over wifi. My gaming is in one room and router is an another.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I do but I don't have a choice. 🤷‍♂️ I have one working internet port in my entire condo (in the bedroom) where the router is plugged into. The ones in the living room had their cables break in the wall and to fix it we'd have to rip up the walls to fox them.

My GF would murder me if I ran Ethernet cables throughout the condo to wire up.

I invested in a very good wireless router and PCI-e wireless adapter to make it as good as I possibly can, at least.