• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use wifi to play fighting games online?

• Yes, I usually play casual modes or with friends

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Yes, I usually play competitive modes (ranked)

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • No, I usually do not

Votes: 236 56.1%
  • I don't play fighting games online

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • I don't play fighting games at all.

Votes: 22 5.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Well I did say it depends on your own household wiring, so its not like I'm saying it will definitely work for everyone. It's a suggestion I gave because it's something that has worked well for me. I don' t have any other option available to me due to the distance of the router and number of concrete walls inbetween. The connection would be too weak, even for the purpose of browsing the net reliably. I'm able to get 2.4ghz and 5Ghz wifi and ethernet access in my office/room where before, all I would get is an intermittent 2.4Ghz signal.
Would getting a new router improve a powerline connection at all?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always looking for someone that can beat me so that I can improve in smash so
If anyone here thinks they are good at smash let's play sometime

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

No

If you wiring sucks it's not on the powerlines themselves it the wiring in the house in general.

While some powerlines are better someone in another thread suggested coaxial over ethernet as a better step which it would be in theory vs wifi or typical powerlines.

A router isn't involved in why your powerline connection may not be working right.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I have no idea really. I kinda doubt it.
No

If you wiring sucks it's not on the powerlines themselves it the wiring in the house in general.

While some powerlines are better someone in another thread suggested coaxial over ethernet as a better step which it would be in theory vs wifi or typical powerlines.

A router isn't involved in why your powerline connection may not be working right.
Alright, thanks for the answers

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I play online with my ps4 wired, and also did with ps3 and 360.
I also usually play ranked since it is easier to find matches, however informal online on sfV is also quite convenient

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I use WiFi for Smash. Am I fuck running an Ethernet cable through my living room and hall just to get a better connection on a game lol

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Bizarre takes on using wifi in here. I use wifi and Smash is literally the only game that gives me lag, sometimes.

The quality of your connection from the node, not using the wifi on the modem from your internet provider, the distance and interference between the wifi router and your device, plus keeping the frequency clear while you are gaming is all you need.

Btw, everyone in here has a wifi router that is separate from the modem and allows you to use several different frequencies, right? Right?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
this is not a heel turn I'm proud of, no amount of promos about the position of my router relative to my consoles can stop the heat.
big-show.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't play fighting games but I don't use ethernet on my consoles, only PC.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Voted "no I usually do not," but in reality I NEVER do. Even bought an adapter to play Smash wired, but it doesn't matter with all the people using wifi anyway lol.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You lose your right to complain about netcode in fighting games if you play wifi.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is this "needed" even if the modem is close to your room?

(I rarely play online lol)

Depends on your modem/router. Some are okay, but most are pretty cheap and terrible.

I have gigabit internet that is absolutely crippled if I use the provided modem/router from my ISP. Instead, I put their router into bridge mode so it acts as a modem only and I have my own router set up (an older Asus AC68U, but it's been pretty rock solid for nearly 6 years now).

Even wiring yourself to the modem directly might not solve the issues. Some of the integrated routers are just really bad and it's not the wireless that's the issue. They have slow processors and too little RAM and get backlogged by any kind of complex traffic.

Of course, this is assuming you're gaming on 5GHz which is reasonably fast and low latency. 2.4GHz is significantly worse.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Ultimate player here, never played wired in my life lol. I don't play too much online nowadays, but I rarely find my games bad enough that I want to get an ethernet cable.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, as much as I hate to admit it. My dorm room is the only one in this building with a broken telephone port (if the other ones even work, and yes I said telephone, the wiring is too old for proper ethernet so I need converters), and at home there's no way to make ethernet work without running a 200+ft cable unless I spend $80 on a powerline extender.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've moved, I can't anymore. I played smash and fighting games on PC wired.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
wish I could tell more of these games to never match make me with WiFi opponents so I'd never have to play with people who'd find any excuse to justify bringing down the experience for the both of us

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Only on Switch, because of the nature of portable mode. The far majority of my fighting game time is on PS4, which is hard wired to my router.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
My Ps4 and PC are wired where I play everything but Smash. Only play Smash with my friends on rare occasions in lobbies where they're all wireless as well. Its Hell, I don't play smash other times.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned, how about powerline adapters?

It really varies depending on the wiring in one's house or apartment, if the wiring is shit then it can be pretty much worst than wifi on most instances. I'd like to say though that it shouldn't be issue with newer built homes but I can confidently say that.

On fighting game I play on wifi is smash due to the switch being portable.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you use WiFi please stop using the 2.4GHz signal

0*hr1jp7YajJBZUXg1.

And on PC make sure you have a decent network adapter. Most modern mother boards already have decent ones.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The router won't affect them, the connection between the adapters is specifically down to the electrical noise and the hardware inside of each adapter (as well as how many you have networked together).

TBH, as an alternative, though definitely more expensive, is a MoCA 2.0 adapter from Motorola or something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y3SQXR

It uses the existing coax in the house (do not use these in an apartment, but powerlines are usually bad in apartments, too) and are easy as hell to setup. You need a filter (included with each one) outside of the house to prevent your internet from "leaking" to anyone else on the coax network with an adapter and they WILL collide with satellite providers and U-Verse boxes. But if you can use one, they're much, much, much better than powerlines. <1ms between any given device on my network that has to go over one and I have 3 of them setup: 1 from the router, 1 in the living room and one in the office. They're full gigabit, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the problem that to start a new fighter is to 'involve' newer unskilled players who are also unwise about wifi vs connected?

I went and bought a high-end fight stick and went through the Ethernet connected motions but I also didn't want to instantly play against esports contenders, sue me.

Eg DB Fighterz was horrible for on-boarding new players into online after such a rich tutorial and training regime.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the problem that to start a new fighter is to 'involve' newer unskilled players who are also unwise about wifi vs connected?

I went and bought a high-end fight stick and went through the Ethernet connected motions but I also didn't want to instantly play against esports contenders, sue me.

Eg DB Fighterz was horrible for on-boarding new players into online after such a rich tutorial and training regime.
I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? I'm lost.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
All my consoles and desktop PC always were, are, and will be wired until the end of times.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
it's off topic, more about playing with new players online instead of matchmaking with demigods
You're making a classic mistake of thinking all the people you're matched with are actually good. Vast majority of the time, you are matched with people of the same rank or close to the same rank. These people aren't "demigods" or "esports contenders". They might be better than you currently - though many are not - but if they are that low in rank, they typically won't actually be good (unless someone is smurfing).

And I'm saying this from experience. I went 17 matches in a row without a win in that game when I started out. I took a bit of time to learn some more and jumped back online and now my win percentage is 63%.

That said, I wouldn't just jump online straight from the tutorial. Fight against the CPU a bit (arcade - story mode is a slog) just to get a feel for the game.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're making a classic mistake of thinking all the people you're matched with are actually good. Vast majority of the time, you are matched with people of the same rank or close to the same rank. These people aren't "demigods" or "esports contenders". They might be better than you currently - though many are not - but if they are that low in rank, they typically won't actually be good (unless someone is smurfing).

And I'm saying this from experience. I went 17 matches in a row without a win in that game when I started out. I took a bit of time to learn some more and jumped back online and now my win percentage is 63%.

That said, I wouldn't just jump online straight from the tutorial. Fight against the CPU a bit (arcade - story mode is a slog) just to get a feel for the game.

I couldn't win a match for like the first week of DBFZ, lol. It took me a long time to understand the flow of that game, but then I did and made it to...Demon rank pretty easily. I've never understood the thought process people seem to have when they lose online. So you, as a rookie/bronze/whatever, hopped online and got bodied, so you assume you were matched up with some godtier high rank player? Just such a weird assumption. lol

Oct 25, 2017

Oh totally, I understand. From buying the stick I made sure I didn't jump to any conclusions and studied the (few) games I wanted to dabble in.

There's a tightrope walk of trying to cater to every player on every rung of that ladder, I managed to grind out a few wins and it was still fun even in defeat.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm not an asshole, If I had to I just grabbed a long ass cord I plugged in for fighting game time