• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use wifi to play fighting games online?

• Yes, I usually play casual modes or with friends

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Yes, I usually play competitive modes (ranked)

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • No, I usually do not

Votes: 236 56.1%
  • I don't play fighting games online

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • I don't play fighting games at all.

Votes: 22 5.2%

• Total voters

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the problem that to start a new fighter is to 'involve' newer unskilled players who are also unwise about wifi vs connected?

I went and bought a high-end fight stick and went through the Ethernet connected motions but I also didn't want to instantly play against esports contenders, sue me.

Eg DB Fighterz was horrible for on-boarding new players into online after such a rich tutorial and training regime.

...what?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
To all you knowledgeable and cognizant gamers that know better and replied yes:

SHAME.ON.YOU

I'd never put my opponent through such intentional torture. Any other online game type...sure there's a bit more leighweigh there with servers usually helping out and mitigating, but for fighting games specifically it's essential.

Last edited:

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If I can stream games locally at 1080p 120fps wireless with 0 hitches and minimal delay(I can't really tell, I tested both side by side with my monitor and iPad), I think I'll be fine with fighting games online. I did pay $400 for this damned thing, but it's really good.

Only fighting game I play online though is Smash. If the Smash player I'm against has good internet, it feels the same as a local match.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see WiFi having lower latency than wired one day. PC already has wireless peripherals that are actually faster than wired ones. LG has their proprietary LIGHTSPEED tech. I will never go back to wired mice and keyboard EVER again. I wish there was a way to mod my arcade stick with their wireless tech.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I can stream games locally at 1080p 120fps wireless with 0 hitches and minimal delay
Streaming is mainly about upload speed and bandwidth, much less about latency - which is the opposite case for gaming.

EDIT: I think I read this wrong. I took it to mean broadcasting for some reason.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh with how dodgy powerline adapters are(especially if you live in apartments), I'd would instead use MoCA adapters if you have coax cables running through your home.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I can see WiFi having lower latency than wired one day. PC already has wireless peripherals that are actually faster than wired ones. LG has their proprietary LIGHTSPEED tech. I will never go back to wired mice and keyboard EVER again. I wish there was a way to mod my arcade stick with their wireless tech.

We are ages off from that even being practical. Wired nics vs mice in speed is no contest it goes to nics. Wired nics can operate at 2-8us per packet depending on what devices and protcolos are running at them.

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
used to do with super smash bros on wiiu and it was mostly fine but sure the wired is preferable

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I play Tekken 7 on the PS Now in a Windows Virtual Machine hosted on a Linux system that I am accessing with a remote software on a Mac, with a bluetooth USB adapter for the joypad and a 2.4Ghz WiFi network over a 4G Internet router. /s

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.. I'm playing Smash with wifi and is acceptable so far. There are some occasionally lag sometimes but still much less frequent than total game I play. Playing with battlefield arena and only one on one no item.

Oct 25, 2017
I Never use Wi-Fi playing Fighting Games online. ( if that's your only option I can understand though )

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Tried a long time ago. Too many things fuck with the connection that you cant control. Invested in a powerline adapter and won't look back.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This.

Nintendo sure do love enabling animals (and kids with no money) by not including a lan port in their consoles since the dawn of the current millennium.

That's only part of it. There's no connection quality meter or options so you have to go into the system menu and blacklist them through recent players so you don't queue with them again.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Although I rarely play online, when I do nah I don't play on wi-fi.
I don't hate myself or my opponents enough to do this.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My wi fi doesn't lag so who cares?
EBT6AbQW4AIIWhD.jpg

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I would never do myself or anybody else that disservice.

Playing fighting games online can be bad enough, even on a wired gigabit connection.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Yes. I know I'm a terrible person. I can't get a wired connection because the only wired connection is all the way across the house. I could theoretically buy an expensive ethernet cable that runs throughout the whole house but my family would complain about it. It's not good Wi-Fi either. I don't do it that often though, from 2015-2018 I mostly just played Melee locally over other fighting games (couldn't do Netplay on Wi-Fi).

I have in the past gotten the PC versions of fighting games and then played them on a laptop wired, that I'd bring over to the Ethernet. I did that for DBFZ.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I could theoretically buy an expensive ethernet cable that runs throughout the whole house but my family would complain about it.
Ethernet cables are cheap as hell? They been cheap since the mid 2000's
HP0pUt7.png

Just run it along the wall while you are playing then put it away when you are not.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I play over WiFi. In ranked matches. I don't really have any other choice currently. Getting a fully wired connection in two months though, so you best believe I'm hyped.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not. I even rage quit a few times on my self once I realized I forgot to switch to wired. Wore out my little clip nub thing on the cable at this point I switch so much (rented place so I gotta go back and forth if I want wifi for cheap)

All the people saying "my internet is fast on wifi so its no problem" dont seem to catch that its still a problem.

Nov 21, 2017
There's a really quick way to test whether or not your connection is stable and working, just open a couple of ping tests to a solid server (like google DNS or cloudflare) and leave them running in the background.

ping 8.8.8.8 /t

Is enough, just replace the IP with whatever else. The time=ms should be nice and stable (and low, how low depends on the server you're pinging).

9jdov9f.jpg

You can actually display this in-game, for anyone who usually has an FPS display in the corner. Show it as a graph and it'll show the last 5-ish minutes (or however long) of network stability. I just leave it in the top left if I have it turned on.

trhrNOg.png

Powerline adapters just aren't a good alternative. They're a bit less shitty than wi-fi at best.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ethernet cables are cheap as hell? They been cheap since the mid 2000's
HP0pUt7.png

Just run it along the wall while you are playing then put it away when you are not.

It's cheap if you don't care about how your living space looks with a cable running through it. My wife would kill me if I ran a cable from my router to my PC. I'd have to pay an electrician to do some work in order for me to have either run cable in the walls or reroute cabling to my office in order to have my router next to my computer. I have 3ms of latency between me and my router. Some times I don't want to go to my den to play games and 3ms is a super non issue for me when I don't want to move from my desk. Never had complaints from anyone I play with.

When I was in my 20's I had a cable running from my upstairs bedroom down to my living room in my apartment and I didn't care back then. Now I'd probably get shot if I did that.

Dec 20, 2018
Fighting games next-gen better allow me to fully avoid wifi users.

Wifi users need help, especially the ones that say they're on wifi and their router is only in the other room right next to theirs.