• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is usually the first thing to go for me. I make an exception for Souls game on the first playthrough but after that it's muted. Same with pretty much every other game. I know Rocket League has a great ever growing soundtrack but I don't think I've unmuted the music in well over a year. Fallout 4, now I'm even doing it in MHW. I know I'm missing out but when I game I'm usually with friends on discord or listening to my own music or some video. What about all of you?

I also always turn on subtitles. Not just for cinematic but everything I can.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love game music, so yeah, always. Sometimes I'll turn it above the voices/sound effects.

The only game I'd mute music on is Dragon Quest XI, because it is atrocious.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I play a lot of jRPGs, where a significant portion of the experience is usually the soundtrack. I very, very rarely mute the sound.

Oct 25, 2017
Always on. The way it should be. When people listen to other music or mute the game during the main scenario, it bothers me almost as much as when I see people play in the wrong aspect ratio.

Wedzi

Jul 17, 2018
Original music is one of my favorite things about playing a new game so I can't say it's the first thing to go for me. Rocket League and most multiplayer games I listen to my own music. If I'm doing busy work in Destiny or any RPG after I've spent a good while playing it and main story is completed same thing then.

But I can't say I share you're affirmation of no music.

I'll say I do agree with you on subtitles for everything. Watching the Cyberpunk demo and seeing dialogue subtitles above talking NPCs in the world like the Witcher 3 is fantastic. Only games where I like no subtitles are for detailed cut scenes like Uncharted 4 where it's like I'm watching a movie.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Music is an important part of video game design, at least for me. They support the context and idea of the developers, which end up enhance our experience as a whole.

So yes, all the time.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Depends. If I'm grinding, doing side missions, collecting collectibles, playing multiplayer games, or backtracking then no. If I'm going through the main mission/story then yes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't comprehend ever doing this unless the game itself has ear-grating music

it's either all of nothing, really. If I'm playing Hyrule Warriors just in the background I don't have sound turned on at all, for instance. Same goes for if I'm just doing something brief and grindy in FFXIV. If there's a story beat or even something with great atmosphere, headphones are going on and all of the audio will be played

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Certain multiplayer games like Rocket League or games that don't really have an outstanding or essential soundtrack I guess.

What I mean is if the music was designed to be integral to the experience I'd keep it on usually because I love music. I say certain multiplayer games because if I were playing Smash I would be insane not to listen to all that sweet sweet music.

Oct 31, 2017
Games like Diablo and Destiny that are super grindy I tend to play my own stuff off Spotify. A game like Skyrim, Dishonored or even AC: Origins I tend to keep the music on as they're very atmospheric and tend to fit story particularly well. Also music off in a game like Nier: Automata? Over my dead body.

El_Guy86

Aug 27, 2018
California
Depends on the game. I'll often play Red Dead Redemption with the music off and then play Ennio Morricone music over it through Spotify while free roaming. For racing games I'll shut it off and do the same.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. If I'm grinding stuff out or whatever, then I usually listen to a podcast, other music, or have a video playing on a second screen in which case I don't listen to any audio from the game but if I'm playing the game properly, then yeah, always in game music and voice etc.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Almost never. The only times I've done it were the Pokemon games. I like the music but after grinding for hours in an area the REALLY repetitive nature of the music (at least with some of the older games) drove me fucking crazy.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
It depends on the music and what mood I'm in.

Sometimes I keep the music on, sometimes I turn it off, and sometimes I play my own lists on Spotify.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I only mute the music if it's a game I'm playing for the 3rd time or something. Or some sort of partygame/fighting/multiplayer game with friends.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Always on. It's one of the biggest, most important parts of a game.

You aren't getting the full experience if you turn it off. Facts. Especially on a first play through.

What's worse to me is reading how people replace it with other music. Incomprehensible to me.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
Depends on the game.

For a RPGs, I'd most likely mute the music, put my own music on, and play with subtitles.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Almost always have game music on when playing. I might listen to something else if playing a portable, epecially an RPG.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I do occasionally put on my own music, specifically when it's a game I'm familiar with and already know the OST, or in an open world title when roaming around the game world and not doing anything particularly important to the narrative.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Muting the music on any Silent Hill game instantly ruins most of the game's impact so lmao

When they have beautiful tracks like

and

It should be illegal to turn music off.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is I actually love music. The Morrowind soundtrack is probably one of my favorite pieces of music ever but I'm so scatterbrained when I play games I rarely just immerse myself in the world and often just do it to relax while doing something else. Bethesda game do pull me in though so I'll give the FO 76 soundtrack a whirl but I'm sure before long it will just be silenced as well.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I always play with subtitles on, and preferably the TV going as background noise. I kinda like paying attention to two things at once. Kinda weird. Sometimes I'll lower the in game music in preference of the game sounds.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
What the actual fuck? People do that!? That's like a third of the experience you're purposely choosing not to experience! This is insane. I would never do this, not even after multiple playthroughs.

Nov 8, 2017
I want to enjoy my games to the maximum extent possible, so the music always stays on.

I also feel ripped off whenever I play an arcade game and the volume on the game is too low or muted (many machines don't make sounds until you put a coin in).

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Used to mute WoW back in the day, but only after having heard the ingame OST for dozens of hours of play. Then I'd listen to my own music while grinding or PvPing or raiding. When a new expansion came out I'd listen to the OST again, then once I was back in the groove of doing endgame content it would be back to Winamp.

Only time I listened to my own music during a single player game was Yakuza 0, because I needed something to keep me going while learning how to play Mahjong and doing the Mahjong-related completion list tasks. I'm now acquainted enough with Mahjong that I can do the Mahjong stuff much quicker in subsequent Yakuza games:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Usually only if the game is multiplayer and I've gotten tired of the music. Turned off Destiny music and started using the Spotify app on my PS4, for example.

I never turn the music off in single player games, even games like Breath of the Wild that I've played tons of.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
in a singleplayer game thats like the Star Wars minus williams videos. Competitive multiplayer games don't really need soundtracks though.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I can't imagine playing a game without the music on, it's an integral part of the game experience for me.
To me this question is the same as "do you play games with the screen turned off?"

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's always on unless it's shit (in which case it's Spotify to the rescue) or I've played the game for so many hours that the music has lost it's charm although exceptions would be Skyrim & BoTW as their music never seems to feel cumbersome to me no matter how long I play.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Never. I'd scale down the entire sound of the game when speaking with others on discord. Muting the music is a bit like heresy to me.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
It seems crazy to me to blindly mute a game you haven't played yet. So many games are enhanced by their soundtracks.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It seems crazy to me to blindly mute a game you haven't played yet. So many games are enhanced by their soundtracks.
Blindly no but it for the most part doesn't stay on for long. I think it really is just a focus issue. It's been a long time since I played a game and shut off the second screen and/or discord and just completely immersed myself.