• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 18, 2017
First off, sorry for making a thread just about this. I was getting impatient and having a hard time getting answers about this.

I tried DolphinVR a few weeks ago and was hooked. I didn't even have the best of framerates, but it was still amazing. I played Mario Kart Double Dash. And was actually able to strategically use green shells against racers behind me, because I simply had to turn my head around to see them. Tried Super Mario Sunshine, had a few glitches, but still totally amazing and I can't wait until it gets better! That was an awesome way to experience Super Mario Sunshine. I even tried something I already own on PC, Tales of Symphonia. And wow, was it ever so amazing to be able to experience the game this way. I had long deleted my .iso since I had the game on PC. It felt redundant, despite the FPS advantage. I always have the disc, after all, if I want a 60 FPS experience. I can play in on Gamecube or Wii if I don't want to play it on PC via Steam. And it looks great in VR. It's hard to explain just how wonderful it is to just be able to look around Iselia like that. I actually got to feel like I was inside Iselia, though just as a floating camera overhead.

I tried many more Dolphin games in VR, and it was all awesome. I was worried that being in third person would make the experience less. But while you're not seeing things from a first person perspective in non first person games, you're still seeing the area in 3D and being surrounded by it.

Which got me to thinking, if emulated games, why not my Steam library in general? It's been one thing to play them in Bigscreen, but it's all the better to be inside. I want to try this with every game I can. And I bet the performance would be a lot better for things that are native PC ports, and not just emulated.

You would think, if there's a way to play games like Tales of Symphonia in full VR in emulation via Dolphin, there would be a way to do so with the actual PC version of the game. Whatever software workaround has been made for emulators, surely exists for traditional PC software, right?

But I dunno what to use. There's VorpX. Which is seemingly the most well known piece of software for this. But the number of supported games is fairly small. And definitely doesn't have so many of the games I really want to play, ones that caught my eye for DolphinVR, or otherwise. Like Okami or Tales of Symphonia, both of which I own on Steam and would love to play at better performance than Dolphin offers.

There's also Tridef3D, which has apparently been used to play some games in VR. And there is at least a demo. But VR gaming is not officially supposed, it sounds a bit like a hassle I fear. If there's a method other than Tridef3D or VorpX, I don't know about it yet. That's why I'm making this thread.

I'm really craving some online and offline Asian RPGs in VR. And very Japanese games in general.

As far as I can tell, the only MMORPGs that VorpX supports are World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls Online.
And the only Japanese games being Nier Automata, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, and Killing Floor.

I'm not sure if those alone are worth the $40 VorpX costs right now. Maybe eventually.
But, at the moment, some of the things I want to experience most in VR right now, are Final Fantasy XIV, Okami, and Tales of Symphonia, as odd of a choice as that may sound. Dolphin really impressed me with the game, and I already really like the game. All of these I own on Steam.

The question is, would I be better off spending $40 for VorpX in hopes of playing Okami like this in VR. Or, stick with DolphinVR, and buy a cheaper Dolphin Bar for PC, for about half the price. That will give me access to my entire Wii library.

Either way, I want to enjoy Okami in VR. Third person or no. Because that gorgeous cell shaded world is a place I want to be able to look around in and be immersed in, in 3D. I do want to play Okami in VR more than I want to play Nier Automata, for instance. Admittedly, I could probably make do with an emulated Wiimote, rather than a real one, for Okami. But I feel like it would be better played with one.

Thank you in advance for any help. This may be a difficult tech question to answer, sorry in advance. I hope someone here knows something.