• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It's called making more money, which starts in June.

That's not really an answer to his statement. You said that you can't keep your savings over 1K due to "crazy shit." ZackieChan offered the (sound) advice of analyzing why "crazy shit" might keep happening, and taking measures to avoid this stuff in the future. Perhaps he was a tad snarky, but it's still the correct advice.

It sounds like you'll be starting a new venture in June, which is good, but if there are circumstances in your life that cause you to deplete your savings that could be avoided, those should be looked at as well.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
That's not really an answer to his statement. You said that you can't keep your savings over 1K due to "crazy shit." ZackieChan offered the (sound) advice of analyzing why "crazy shit" might keep happening, and taking measures to avoid this stuff in the future. Perhaps he was a tad snarky, but it's still the correct advice.

It sounds like you'll be starting a new venture in June, which is good, but if there are circumstances in your life that cause you to deplete your savings that could be avoided, those should be looked at as well.

It is the answer. I just replaced a transmission in my car that wiped out my savings. It's cheaper than buying a new beater car, and less risky than a car payment for now. That's just one recent example. Case in point I'm not actually saving anything this month because I took uber to and from work and school for a week saving significant money (to me) on repair costs, but you gotta do what you must do.

This year I actually get over 1k back in taxes, but I'll have to apply it towards medical expenses from something that happened a while ago. But I'll be graduating in May and have a job lined up trippling my income, so that's the answer.

Last edited:

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I have a 401K that gets about $300 or so a month but other than that I'm flat broke with debt. I put $500 into Crypto hoping that would go somewhere but it's certainly gone nowhere fast.

One of these days. I hope.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It is the answer. I just replaced a transmission in my car that wiped out my savings. It's cheaper than buying a new beater car, and less risky than a car payment for now. That's just one recent example. This year I actually get over 1k back in taxes, but I'll have to apply it towards medical expenses from something that happened a while ago. But I'll be graduating in May and have a job lined up trippling my income, so that's the answer.

No. What you originally replied with was not the answer. Here is the equivalent of what you originally said, in a different scenario:

1. I get into a car accident.
2. My wife says "Oh wow, how did the accident happen??"
3. I say "It's called I'm getting a new car this weekend."

That's what you did.

Now, what you said here in the post you just made, THAT'S an appropriate answer. You explained that you had a transmission issue, as well as a medical issue. You also explained that you're still in school, and therefore probably don't have a full-time job.

I believe that ZackieChan was telling you to work on things, because in many cases, people bleed money because of shit that can be avoided, be it traffic tickets, buying unnecessary stuff, falling for scams...any number of things. In your case, it seems that you had actual emergencies that needed to be taken care of.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I've maxed out my Roth IRA for 2017 and 2018.

Once my income bumps up in the future, I'll be able to save more money on top of that as well.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's called making more money, which starts in June.
That don't solve crazy

believe that ZackieChan was telling you to work on things, because in many cases, people bleed money because of shit that can be avoided, be it traffic tickets, buying unnecessary stuff, falling for scams...any number of things. In your case, it seems that you had actual emergencies that needed to be taken care of.
Yeah, you understood me.
"Crazy shit" sounds like they have wild friends who get them in trouble, borrow money without paying it back, or other things. What they are actually dealing with is "normal shit that is the reason you save money."

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
No. What you originally replied with was not the answer. Here is the equivalent of what you originally said, in a different scenario:

1. I get into a car accident.
2. My wife says "Oh wow, how did the accident happen??"
3. I say "It's called I'm getting a new car this weekend."

That's what you did.

Now, what you said here in the post you just made, THAT'S an appropriate answer. You explained that you had a transmission issue, as well as a medical issue. You also explained that you're still in school, and therefore probably don't have a full-time job.

I believe that ZackieChan was telling you to work on things, because in many cases, people bleed money because of shit that can be avoided, be it traffic tickets, buying unnecessary stuff, falling for scams...any number of things. In your case, it seems that you had actual emergencies that needed to be taken care of.

I do work f/t, but crazy shit to me is that yearly thing that wipes out my savings. Happens like clockwork.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saved about $15,000 last year post-tax and I contribute 9% pre-tax to my 401K. Averages about $1250 a month in savings. I didn't save that every month though. Some months I saved nothing and others I saved more.

I wasted a lot of money last year buying non-sense. My savings will be much better this year.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I saved about $15,000 last year post-tax and I contribute 9% pre-tax to my 401K. Averages about $1250 a month in savings. I didn't save that every month though. Some months I saved nothing and others I saved more.

I wasted a lot of money last year buying non-sense. My savings will be much better this year.
You should probably increase your 401k if you are saving that much money

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only income is welfare and I save about 70 euros a month. Got ~3000 in the bank for when I need it (which is partly possible because of extras I get from the government such as holiday money and long-term disability welfare).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I save 300-500€ per month and i pay an additional 50€ into a fund every month.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I save thousands a month. Enough to start investing. My fans have been really good to me. My patreon page grew by $600 a month in the last six weeks alone.

Last edited:

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
2017 is the year my home business exploded so we have been saving, but are going to go over stuff with our accountant soon on what % should be going to paying off student loans fast/mortgage faster/investment/savings.

Right now we are putting 8% of our biz profits into personal savings and then 2% into me fucking around with investments (recently nearly doubled this account due to buying the bitcoin dip just under 6k and selling at 10k plus some success with a recent penny stock that was clearly being pump and dumped).

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Some months are in the red (holidays and tax season), but normally I invest a good part of my income.