• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you see Microsoft dropping XBL Gold requirement to play Xbox Game Pass games?

• Yes, I see them dropping the requirement

Votes: 81 21.2%
  • No, I do not see them dropping the requirement

Votes: 300 78.5%

• Total voters

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Right now users are forced to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold in order to play a lot of Xbox Game Pass which is an extra sub. So in the future, I see Microsoft dropping the XBL Gold requirement for Game Pass.

So I see future Subs to be like this.

Xbox Game Pass = Xbox Game Pass games only + XCloud Streaming at $10

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate = Xbox Game Pass + XBL Gold (Being able to play non Game Pass games) + XCloud Streaming at $15.

Note: Regarding Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, this would mean if you were wanting to play games outside of Xbox Game Pass, like EA games, you would need to pay $15 per month.

However, in the future do you see Microsoft dropping the Xbox Live Gold Requirement for Xbox Game Pass games?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's free money, of course not. People are already willing to pay it, why would they stop charging for no reason?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
MS just introduced game pass and gold bundle lol. Gold ain't going away.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not as it makes money already. Look at how many people pay for PS+. Almost 40M people.

Microsoft will be looking to increase their sub numbers next gen on Gold, Game Pass, and xCloud, not completely removing their biggest money maker (in Xbox).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Probably not since it's such a great revenue source but it would be an awesome way to get people to adopt next gen.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
No but I foresee them busking gamepass with XBL Gold for a discounted price. That's if they aren't already doing that.

Edit: they are already doing that

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Wait.. are you asking whether MS will make it so that you can play any game pass game online for free? I doubt it, unless it's part of a broader rework of Live or Game Pass. That's what Ultimate is for anyway.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I don't understand people's opinion regarding why Microsoft won't drop the requirement.

Microsoft is wanting to expand Game Pass and the whole Xbox platform to every device. While the double fees may work on Xbox consoles it certainly won't work on other devices. The $10 fee is to play Game Pass games only, if the user wants to play games that are not on game pass or recently left Game Pass, they would need to pay $15 per month to access those games.

Feb 10, 2018
It is possible because game pass would be seen as an even greater value, which increase subs, which is Microsofts goal.

Oct 25, 2017
You are never getting rid of paid online on consoles. It's free money for MS and Sony, they have to provide no service in return. Remember that MS is also doing that Game Pass + Gold bundle soon.

I can see Microsoft getting rid of Games with Gold because it's redundant with Game Pass. But you'll still need Gold to go online with the games. Sony will get rid of PS Plus monthly games shortly after Microsoft gets rid of theirs.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
No. If you're going to play online, you need Gold. Eliminating Gold would not only cost Microsoft a lot of money but those who subscribe to Gold and not Game Pass could just cancel Gold and subscribe to Game Pass for a cheaper price since there's always massive deals for it like the recent $1 for 3 months promotion. I don't see Microsoft doing this nor should they in my opinion.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Even though you don't need gold for like... Play Anywhere games you play on PC, I don't see them backing away from this when they just started testing for Game Pass Ultimate (which, admittedly I guess is testing so it's possible).

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
MS is all about $ just like anyone else. Throwing away what, 20m subs of Gold is like 1+ Billion dollars lol.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Do u see that bag full of money? Do u see its owner trowing it away anythime soon? And its a very large bag with craploads of money. But for Gamepass subscribers they should let the subscribers play the games associated to gamepass without gold. If im not mistaken Sony dont require PS+ to play PS Now online games. Correct me if im wrong.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
When will people understand Microsoft (or your favorite company) is not your & the consumers' friend and all their consumers' friendly tactics is just one of the means to make MORE money?

'But it's more consumer friendly!!'

Between consumer friendly and making more money, take a guess which one a profit making organization will choose.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's free money, of course not. People are already willing to pay it, why would they stop charging for no reason?
Because they're taking down the walls between PC and Xbox. It's weird that I can download an Xbox Gamepass game on the PC through Play Anywhere an play it online for free.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't understand people's opinion regarding why Microsoft won't drop the requirement.

Microsoft is wanting to expand Game Pass and the whole Xbox platform to every device. While the double fees may work on Xbox consoles it certainly won't work on other devices. The $10 fee is to play Game Pass games only, if the user wants to play games that are not on game pass or recently left Game Pass, they would need to pay $15 per month to access those games.

Do you know that the bolded you mentioned is just a mean and not the end?

The end = more money. Always is, always will be.

There's a reason why all of the 3 platform holders are less interested in 'winning' the console 'war', because 'winning' doesnt mean more money and increased margins.

Consumer friendliness is about money.

Consumer trust is about money.

Better infrastructure is about money.

Even having less crunch cultural, more representation, making customers/media 'happy' = better PR = more money (or less chance of losing money)

Money money money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're taking down the walls between PC and Xbox. It's weird that I can download an Xbox Gamepass game on the PC through Play Anywhere an play it online for free.
That's because PC is an open platform. If you needed Gold there, people wouldn't play the games. If Steam suddenly started charging users for online, every publisher would bail from it and use their own launcher or Epic Store instead, and the Epic Store would be welcomed with open arms.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's still a lot you can do with Gamepass without gold, not that I wouldn't mind seeing them drop the gold requirement to play MP Gamepass games.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Absolutely not as it makes money already. Look at how many people pay for PS+. Almost 40M people.

Microsoft will be looking to increase their sub numbers next gen on Gold, Game Pass, and xCloud, not completely removing their biggest money maker (in Xbox).

But PS+ is not required to play PSNow games online. So that's not a good comparision.

Though, i agree. Microsoft won't remove the requirement.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Did they remove the gold requirement for f2p titles? No, so there is no chance to have the gold included in the gamepass.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Its gonna be a 19.99 or 15.99 premium Gamepass, dont think theyre going to give away gold for free

Oct 25, 2017
No. They'll probably only go as far as removing the Gold requirement for F2P MP games next-gen.
That's super unlikely. Nobody is complaining about that. It's far more likely that Sony is going to put F2P behind the Plus paywall as well, they're leaving a lot of money on the table not making Fortnite players pay for Plus.