• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you still buy Ringtones?

• No

Votes: 261 53.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • used to back in the day

Votes: 33 6.7%
  • Free app that lets you do that

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • Always on silent

Votes: 173 35.4%

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I get a call from my mom about an hour ago and she is asking what app she used to use to buy Ringtones on IOS.. I thought I was in 2005 again😂😂 I was confused like uhhh i dont know.. maybe Itunes? she was like yes! that's it.. she ended up paying $1.29 for a ringtone!

do you or know anyone that still buys or custom makes ringtones? I remember when I had the SIDEKICK or Chocolate phone I used to think I was so cool getting them. but today... naa everyone has normal iPhone or Android tone.

random story, back in high school I got in trouble and they went to call my moms cell phone and she used to have a ring BACK tone where when you dial her number it would play what song she picked.. at the time it was "YEAH!" by Usher my principal got mad and thought a gave him someone else's number 🤣

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I managed to replace my ringtone without buying it or installing an app.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
"Still" implies that at some point you paid human money for ringtones.

I have never in my life done that.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Always on silent but I wouldn't anyway. You can set your own ringtone from your own music/audio files on my phone so I don't know why I would ever need to purchase a ringtone.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
crazy-frog-axel-f.gif

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I only bought them when I had a flip phone when I was a kid and thought that was so cool. Ever since I got a smart phone, I've never seen the point.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
I still have the mgs codec sound in my phone files, but I didn't buy it, never bought a ring tone, and keep my phone on silent now.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
i mean do use a ringtone for when i'm at home but i literally just put an instrumental mp3 of an anime song on my phone and then set it as the ringtone lmao

in no universe would i buy a ringtone

thesaint08

Apr 23, 2018
I didn't know you could still change your ringtone to one of your choosing.
I am going to see if I can change mine(once I have added a song to my phone).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know you could buy ringtones.

How do you do it on Android?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Ringtones were mostly pre-smartphone era werent they?

But I preferred them to the full blast songs playing on smartphones once they started gaining traction. Nothing like peacefully standing in the checkout with a head of iceberg lettuce and some ritz crackers when someone standing WAY to damn close to you in the back has their phone just randomly start screeching.

Lil John: "YAYYUHHHHHH!"

Scare the shit outta me. Like... answer that shit, don't let half the verse play breh, we know the fucking song.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
my boy's got his own ring tone it's the only one i know it's the only one i know
my boy's got his own ring tone it's the only one i know it's the only one i know

www.youtube.com

100 gecs - ringtone (remix) [feat. Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kero Kero Bonito] {VISUALIZER}

100 gecs - ringtone (remix) [feat. Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kero Kero Bonito] {VISUALIZER}Stream/DL: https://100gecs.lnk.to/RingtoneRemixID100 gecs - mememeS...

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Never paid for one. Only time I ever had a custom ringtone was on an android phone so I just used my own mp3 file. However my phone has been on vibrate only for the past decade.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
i made a custom ringtone by simply designating a downloaded youtube music clip as a 'ringtone' in itunes, when that was a thing back in 2010. it still works (but my phone is always on silent/vibrate anyway)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I never bought ringtones. I used the shitty ass web browser on the flip phones to go to a free ringtone site to download ringtones. When I first got an iPhone, you couldn't change the ringtone without jailbreaking. So I jailbroke and used Goldwave to edit my MP3's down to ringtone length and replaced Apple's boring ass stock ringtones.

And by time they let you actually use downloaded ringtones, I was already knee deep in editing my own music or using video game music that it was stupid to buy ringtones. And now these days, I don't edit my own music much for ringtones anymore, but downloading free ringtones or editing a video with some music playing down to the proper length and renaming the mp4 into mp3 to get a ringtone out of it is super simple.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
If I want a specific ringtone (which I haven't, for years), I can just download an audio clip and set that as a ring tone.
Why ever buy one?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
i bought one chill sound effect ringtone thing to use as a wake up alarm because all the available options are way too disruptive. does that count?