• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you support euthanasia

• Yes

Votes: 456 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Other (make a comment)

Votes: 12 2.5%

• Total voters

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
In general yes I support it.

But it's a super tricky issue and I feel it should be handled via the courts on a case by case basis.

There is a lot of room for horrible error or abuse if it is not strictly regulated.

Leabinf this up to the court would just hold everything up and postpone the enevitable. There is a real why legal guardianship is settled by the court prior to this point or someone signs voluntarily.

I understand that. To me, if they have their cognitive functions beforehand then I'm okay with it.

That's usually the case. Most patients will go over a care plan beforehand or else it's up to a legal guardian in case of an emergency.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I agree with it in a circumstance that someone is able to make a definite consent to having the procedure done. But this is hard in cases where it is hard to determine that. And it would be a nightmare to legislate for.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is that a portugese law? I'm not sure i fully understand.
yes that is portuguese law. The one that is "diário da republica portuguesa". I translated the important parts, through if you want i can give you the exact law in portuguese.

This type of thinking is tricky. what happens when they begin to be a vegetative state? how do we test their cognitive functions? Euthanasia is the same as a DNR as it needs to be discussed prior to the event or else we leave it up to the legal guardian.

Actually you can easily test brain "function" with a pet scan. The biggest problems are if the non cognitive centers are heavily damage (like parts of the brain stem that control your breathing) while the upper more rational part of the brain is suposedly with light damages. This person wouldn't live without machines for everything but still has a conscience.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there are too many regulations put in place for it to be blantanly abused on a healthy person. You should also know that DNR are not every bodies first choice. I don't think i've seen a DNR on any pt that wasn't terminal or already on their way out. It's be inhumane to continue supporting a vessel that is in constant pain. What good is doing pain management on a 86 y/o male with a humerus fracture who constantly repeats "i wish they'd just shoot me." It's their choice.
you would euthanize an 86 year old because of humerus fracture?
Isn't that the situation the nurse is talking about? whom on the right mind would kill someone over just a fracture?

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
yes that is portuguese law. The one that is "diário da republica portuguesa". I translated the important parts, through if you want i can give you the exact law in portuguese.

Actually you can easily test brain "function" with a pet scan. The biggest problems are if the non cognitive centers are heavily damage (like parts of the brain stem that control your breathing) while the upper more rational part of the brain is suposedly with light damages. This person wouldn't live without machines for everything but still has a conscience.

you would euthanize an 86 year old because of humerus fracture?
Isn't that the situation the nurse is talking about? whom on the right mind would kill someone over just a fracture?

*I* personally wouldn't do it. My point is that we need to learn how to help patients who feel hopeless regardless of their condition. "Id rather die" is universal across diagnosis.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
you misunderstood what I meant about DNR. What I mean is, it gets misinterpreted - DNR is sometimes taken to mean do not treat/hosptialize, when of course those are separate orders. I have had to explain to emergency room on the phone after sending out a patient, they call and ask why we sent them since they are DNR - as though a DNR order means for example if a patient gets pneumonia, sepsis etc. that you don't treat it.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely something I'm okay with. With easy access I'd have chosen to die myself due to depression already so I'd imagine there'd need to be some sort of requirements or regulation, but the idea itself is perfectly sound.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'll even go one step further and say I also supported assisted suicide.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i watched my father in law get diagnosed with lung cancer on new years eve just gone and die 5 weeks later. When he went i could pick him up in 1 arm and move him. He was wanting to go as he'd lost his dignity, his pride and independence, if he could of went on his own terms i think he would of. I would of supported his decision and so would of my wife as we'd talked about how it was preferable to his situation.