• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of ABEZ23

Its been a slow year for Sony in 2017 other than Horizon, there was no other big first party title out there from them, so this idea of 2018 will be their year came from a category on The Game Awards show for upcoming games, and two of them were God Of War, and the Last Of US. Coming into account that we have other games announced from Sony, Do you think Sony's first party games will dominate 2018 and also the GOTY categories as well?

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
You looked at this and affirmatively decided that it was an injustice for someone else's lack of thread privileges to stand between it and existence.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I think 2018 will be the year of video games.
A sequel to the amazing 2017 that impacted so many people, however, not quite as good.
It will be really good as well, but it won't hit the same levels of 2017.

About 2017 being a slow one for Sony... really? :p Probably the total opposite.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its been a slow year for Sony in 2017 other than Horizon, there was no other big first party title out there from them, so this idea of 2018 will be their year came from a category on The Game Awards show for upcoming games, and two of them were God Of War, and the Last Of US. Coming into account that we have other games announced from Sony, Do you think Sony's first party games will dominate 2018 and also the GOTY categories as well?
Slow year other than Horizon? What?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people are expecting Nintendo to run out of gas and that will, for some reason, correspond with the new calendar year. I disagree, and think we're going to get another year where the big N dominates conversation. Sony will put out some great stuff for sure, but I think the form it will take will look similar to the year we just experienced. Maybe a couple more Horizon-type games (triple-A and incredible), but I'm not getting my hopes up for them just yet.

Oct 25, 2017
For the PS4 in 2017, it's been one of its best years ever.

I think 2018 will be a year for Sony first party where there will be multiple first party games in a single category for GOTY. I think GOW and Detroit will turn heads. Is Spiderman first party? Like, I know Insom isn't, but Sony owns that game, right?

Lets say this. Their TRUE exclusives will turn a lot of heads.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo haven't announced their lineup for next year and Last of Us 2 isn't happening in 2018.

Also I feel like we have this thread every year.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I must be in a parallel universe because according to GA...ERA, Sony's exclusives are 100% best amazing super sauce delicious every year.

But really, next year's lineup for both PlayStation and Xbox look promising. Switch hopefully has MP4 and Pokemon to look forward too.

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slow year for Sony? they have been releasing exclusives every month since Q3 2016.

and the trend may continue in 2018 giving their recent conference.

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand not counting Wipeout, Farpoint or Everybody's Golf into "big first party" but come on, Gravity Rush 2, Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Gran Turismo Sport were all big and great titles from the worldwide studios. 2017 hasn't been slow in any way for Sony in particular and even less for PS4 in general.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be another year where Sony puts out games.

None of their first party titles slated for 2018 are really that interesting to me, or at least not to the point that I expect them to one-up a lot of PS4's major hitters that came out this year, most of which weren't even Sony developed. Part of me expects 2018 to be a slow burning period into 2019 when it comes to their first party efforts.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this was hardly what I'd call a quiet year. Sure there's some hefty blockbusters next year though. It's going to be another great year for PS4 gamers.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No. RDR will dominate the conversation and sales charts. Plus there is no indication that TLOU2 is a 2018 title.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think years of one company or platform taking over are done. Switch is a new platform with Nintendo's home console and handheld development both feeding into it, the PS4 is in that sweet spot where a ton of 1st and 3rd party developers have put out their first or second attempts on the platform and are now going to release their refined perfected version of their franchises(like what happened with the PS3), and you just can't stop the pc train. There's not much more to say than that.

And I have no idea what the fuck Xbox is doing. They have the most powerful console. You know, for all their games. Which is cool I suppose.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It will be. Nintendo were careful not to say that Metroid and Pokemon are 2018 games. So they probably aren't.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
Also it really puts into perspective how much first party exclusives have declined in importance that having two of them is enough to have a discussion of whether it'll be that platform's year now.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2017 was slow for Sony no doubt.

Gravity Rush 2
GT Sport
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Wipeout Omega Collection

Such a slow year not even counting Nioh and others.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see, they have some cool games dropping next year for sure but we'll see how it shakes out.
I don't think TLOU is going to be next year though.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, what? Sony has had an amazing year- Horizon, Persona 5, Nioh, Nier: Automata, Gran Turismo Sport, and then all of the multiplatform games like Destiny 2, etc. GotY nominees for 2017 are two Switch exclusives and two Playstation 4 exclusives.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think next year, particularly E3, is pivotal to Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony.

Do I think 2018 will be the year of Sony?

Maybe.

It all depends if they can keep on a roll like they have done for the majority of 2017. Also, I can see Sony mentioning the PS5 at PSX next year, just to ramp up the hype and keep the momentum going.

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand not counting Wipeout, Farpoint or Everybody's Golf into "big first party" but come on, Gravity Rush 2, Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Gran Turismo Sport were all big and great titles from the worldwide studios. 2017 hasn't been slow in any way for Sony in particular and even less for PS4 in general.

This.

2017 has been amazing for Sony and Nintendo

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
With their line up being Detroit, God of War, and SOTC all in the first half of the year, it very well could be. 2017 was exceptional for sony and I fully believe in them to deliver more.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I think years of one company or platform taking over are done. Switch is a new platform with Nintendo's home console and handheld development both feeding into it, the PS4 is in that sweet spot where a ton of 1st and 3rd party developers have put out their first or second attempts on the platform and are now going to release their refined perfected version of their franchises(like what happened with the PS3), and you just can't stop the pc train. There's not much more to say than that.

And I have no idea what the fuck Xbox is doing. They have the most powerful console. You know, for all their games. Which is cool I suppose.

Totally. This year has shown that the gaming landscape is at its best when you have Switch and PS4 coexisting peacefully at the top of their games and I hope that's what next year brings too.

Status
Not open for further replies.