• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Starting from the PS5 generation, will we witness things that expand greatly on what is already done?

I'm not talking about Cyberpunk or Halo Infinite, both of which will be released for current gen consoles, but what comes after that.

I believe the PS4 generation contributed greatly to the open world genre that it made OW of previous generations obsolete.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When am I getting my direct-neural-implant connection?

I want the game to be injected straight into my brain, dammit.

FULL IMMERSION for my walking simulators.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
When you compare 2019 to 2009, and then 2009 to 1999, I think the general trend is pretty damn clear.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything will be and has been incremental until there is a paradigm shift. See 2d to 3d. VR/AR could be it but it has a way to go until it hits it's NES moment.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Graphical leaps are done yeah, it's mostly how clever devs use the hardware and engineer to create games with memorable art direction.

The leaps are seemingly going to be how they design games around the SSDs in next gen systems. We'll see how far they get with that though.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah I thought VR also, just like when we went from 2D to 3D games.
3D it's at its peak but VR is just in its infancy.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
there can still be big leaps. Especially in writing and acting departments . AI too. Pure graphics wise i think im satisfied enough, just make the use of that raw power with more cohesive worlds and stellar art direction. Try masking load times and aliasing and all that stuff as much as possible

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
When you compare 2019 to 2009, and then 2009 to 1999, I think the general trend is pretty damn clear.

I feel like 2009 to 2019 shift is a lot different from similar shifts when you look back between say 1989 to 1999 and 1999 to 2009. The shift in the past decade has been less about graphics and general gameplay control/feel and more a shift to how we consume with the explosion of mobile, the birth of easy at home vr, the dawn of games designed for a twitch audience, etc.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
That Astro Bot effect. Goddamn I can't wait for the sequel on PSVR 2. If Sony are smart that'll be the flagship PSVR 2 launch title.
Yep. It floored me with how amazing it was. Now I'm being blown away by Beat Saber and Blood and Truth.

Once Sony figures with their move controllers with analogue sticks on them, I'll be buying them day one because of how fantastic it will make VR games on PS4 feel.

Feb 10, 2018
The leaps will still be decent for the next few gens.

While games these days are quite good at environments, they still suck at npc behavior, animation and overall world simulation compared to real life.

You take a basic scene out of real life like people shopping or walking down the streets of new York or at a dinner party and when you compared that to a similar section of a videogame we still have a very long way to go.
Npc's still wonder around like dead puppet zombies.
RDR2 did improve upon this though.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will absolutely be more leaps. That we can't see it coming feels more like the rule than the exception.

The big leaps will come in VR.
You mean the actual thing and not something developed from what we see today, right? There will be no leaps in VR if they insist on continuing to build on the current shard of "virtual reality" we have now. It just can't be scaled to provide even close to an experience of the sort contemplated by the mainstream and those who haven't bought in yet.

Modern "VR" is just a costly party toy and technological detour that peaks in its tech demos.

Source: Rift owner.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yup, that remains to be seen. But won't you say that its a leap in gaming?

As someone else said, it probably will be another path.
Technology isn't ready yet imo, and motion sickness is a big issue.
For me the biggest hurdle is a social one, would people accept their kids to totally drown themselves in a virtual environment, cutting ties with people around them ? For Now I don't think so, but that's probably a generational thing that could change in the future...

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Mechanically speaking, probably not. The leap forward from 2009 to 2019 was nowhere near as drastic as from 1999 to 2009.

In terms of writing, music or acting? Definitely, as game budgets continue to increase.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
Lighting, effects and characters will see a nice increase, but environments won't.

I was actually thinking the opposite, I want to see environments improve more than anything else now.

I've just got back into playing GTS and thought how nice the models and lighting are, but found the environmental detail lacking (thought the same on release tbh).

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Music how?
And you think better writing improves with money?
An increased budget does not necessarily mean better writing, but what it does do is give the developers the capability to hire good writers and increase the average quality of writing in games. This is especially so given how most writers currently in the industry aren't exactly the best.

Having George RR Martin work on Elden Ring, as an example, would have been inconceivable in 1999, or even in 2009.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Absolutely not. I think it lacks imagination to think we won't see big leaps.

We'll get ever closer to uncanny territory graphics wise. We'll make advancements in the way we consume games, from traditional methods via TV/Monitor/Phones, to newer methods like VR/AR, to methods we currently don't think possible.

Just wait till you grandkids are plugging themselves into a wall and transferring their consciousness into their Minecraft character!

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone else said, it probably will be another path.
Technology isn't ready yet imo, and motion sickness is a big issue.
For me the biggest hurdle is a social one, would people accept their kids to totally drown themselves in a virtual environment, cutting ties with people around them ? For Now I don't think so, but that's probably a generational thing that could change in the future...

How is that different than being alone in your room and playing online?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Having mandatory locked 60FPS on next gen consoles seems like a big leap, that's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
People really think wearing some sort of Goggles or visor is the future and will be mainstream??

Wow...

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anything's going to come along and fundamentally change the way everyone creates games, no. And I don't believe VR to be the future of gaming. I mean it has its audience but I can't see it completely taking over

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I've been thinking about the PS5 a lot and I think Sony is going to deliver something really incredible with it. Can't wait to get more details.

Feb 8, 2018
how can they be over? they will be over once photorealism is more or less reached (not anytime soon) And big is a word many people use but is a very vague thing to say in the end.

My estimation is that the difference will be big or significant when the comparisons remain fair. Early next-gen shouldn't be compared to late current-gen anyway but there will be a difference between those too of course.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The 8th-9th gen upgrades probably won't be that drastic. It'll be more noticeable as the generation goes on like with the 7th-8th upgrade, but don't expect a SNES-PS1 or a N64-Xbox level leap again.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not until we get VR MMORPG games that look AAA and don't make me puke.

Until then we are just resolution bumps, streaming and paddles on the back of our controllers.