• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
I was actually thinking the opposite, I want to see environments improve more than anything else now.

I've just got back into playing GTS and thought how nice the models and lighting are, but found the environmental detail lacking (thought the same on release tbh).

To fair, gran turismo has never been know for its environments, or any racing sim.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
VR is not the future and will never be mainstream
Kinda odd to start a thread about the future of video games and being dismissive to the first talking point.

VR has issues in its current state, but none of those issues seem impossible to overcome with time. My phone can run GameCube games, I find it hard to imagine there won't be near-portable (or 'vr gaming standalone devices') in the future, hitting that cost effective price point for mass consumption

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
RTX is already quite the leap.
AI is next.
Better realistic physics and perhaps deteriation systems.
Binaural audio.
Better VR.
Virtual assistants.
Holographic systems.
Perhaps even 4D in house.
Motion pads or exo skeletons for gaming.

Lmao at those who think Gaming wont stop evolving or there is not a next big leap available. There is always something to be achieved on the horizon.

Hell I'd buy a Smelly Cap. If someone farted ingame I should smell it irl. šŸ™šŸ½

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
As someone else said, it probably will be another path.
Technology isn't ready yet imo, and motion sickness is a big issue.
For me the biggest hurdle is a social one, would people accept their kids to totally drown themselves in a virtual environment, cutting ties with people around them ? For Now I don't think so, but that's probably a generational thing that could change in the future...
As if people hold "current" gaming in high regards :) Dsnt most movies/tv serials show gamers as someone still living in a basement...playing games alone? I won't be allowing my kids to "drown themselves" in any gaming environment for too long anyways. And PSVR specifically mentions an age limit...minimum 12 years iirc.

But its a completely different discussion. Peace!! :)

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent virtually every gen since Atari 2600 thinking it couldn't get any better than what we currently had. That we'd reached the peak of possibilities.

Decades later I stopped even considering that. We simply have no idea what's gonna come down the road in the future and change everything as we know it.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
lol, VR is the ultimate goal of video games, its inevitable. Of course it could take another 20 years or something until we get there.

What makes you say that? I think virtual reality headsets will always be seen as corny by a lot of people, and mainstream gaming has always involved sitting in front of a TV since its inception

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
What makes you say that? I think virtual reality headsets will always be seen as corny by a lot of people, and mainstream gaming has always involved sitting in front of a TV since its inception

they could just be glasses or even lenses at some point. it only involved sitting in front of a tv/monitor because thats the only way it works.

making you feel like youre in the game has always been the goal.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
What has been the big leaps in the past?

2d to 3d?

Various controlling mechanisms?

Changing physical storage (modules-cd)?

Online?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming games hosted in massively powerful data centers might actually lead to some pretty huge jumps and changes in experiences. Physics, number of NPCs and players.

As VR gets more powerful and self contained I could see it taking off too. The Quest is a start in that direction for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless we hit the tech singularity, I think the large leaps are over. Nothing will ever change the industry that quickly, everything will just be a slow march forward. Even if VR does take off into the mainstream, it's been such a long time coming that it'll never feel like a 'leap', just a natural progression.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
lol, VR is the ultimate goal of video games, its inevitable. Of course it could take another 20 years or something until we get there.

As for traditional games, there is still a ton that can happen with animations, physics, AI etc.
No decent local multiplayer experience means its not the ultimate goal of video games lol.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the next leap will be high framerates.

edit: Mainly because next gen systems will be using Ryzen 3000 processors and those are pretty damn good at high frame rates. Also because Sony and Microsoft have talked up high frame rates. 4k 120fps would be great, but I don't think that's remotely realistic.

Last edited:

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
*waves from 2030 where I'm "typing" this by thinking about it in my VR apartment connected with WiFi to my brain*

*While having my body hooked up to life support*

Nah, nothing will ever change again

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me big leaps in Mobile is over. New ones have tech I don't even need.

Big leaps in Gaming will come in the form of VR, whose limits are truly endless. To have diminishing returns in VR is to have 100% human biology integrated for gaming experience (safely). So yeah, that pit is looking pretty deep.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is not the future and will never be mainstream
it's not "the future", it's a new form of video gaming that presently has some great exclusive games, and the future of it is extremely exciting to me (a lifelong video game enthusiast). I don't know or really care about what the bar for "mainstream" is.

it's already been, to me, the biggest tech leap in a very long time, and the path forward for future VR tech is clear

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Other than graphics and detail getting better, I think the next big leap will be when ray tracing is viable in most games.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
big jumps are hard because games are already extremely expensive and take a lot of time to make.
We would need a better and faster way of realizing the vision of creators into games, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

But in all honesty I am happy with games. If I look at God of War, Prey, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted and many many many more I think we are already experiecing something amazing. There is always room for improvement and things will go forward, but I think the noticeable differences between each generation will get smaller and smaller.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Personally I didn't feel a massive leap from last generation to this one. Sure there's still room to improve, but I don't really expect to have a "WOW!" sort of moment from a graphical upgrade at this point.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
big jumps are hard because games are already extremely expensive and take a lot of time to make.
We would need a better and faster way of realizing the vision of creators into games, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

But in all honesty I am happy with games. If I look at God of War, Prey, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted and many many many more I think we are already experiecing something amazing. There is always room for improvement and things will go forward, but I think the noticeable differences between each generation will get smaller and smaller.

Yeah, I think there's a misconception that "gameplay" hasn't changed much basically since 2004. But if you go back and play games like Morrowind or the PS2 God of War games, there's SO MUCH that has changed. Developers have gotten so much better at the "feel" of combat (Sekiro!), the blending of controlled cameras and cinematics (Spiderman!), companion characters, etc. Some of that is just experience and design, but a lot has to do with hardware capabilities too. The advancements in dynamic animation that enable the clashing swords in Seikro would not feel the same on PS2 or PS3.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, just because we can't currently see it doesn't mean it won't happen.

I remember playing Oblivion when it came out on the 360 and thinking "How is any open world game going to top this?". You look now at the likes of Witcher 3 & RDR 2 and see how much further the genre has progressed in just one generational leap. With the advances in technologies I can't see why we couldn't see something amazing with the next machines, especially when it looks as though they're a bigger leap over the current ones than the PS4 and XB1 were over the PS3/360.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think in terms of visuals we are starting to reach diminishing returns on console. Most console games now run at resolutions above 1080p. I think the next big leap will be games running at a native 4k resolution while maintaining a solid 60 fps. Of course im sure things like texture detail can always improve but everything looks so good now its hard to see how. its not like the end of last generation where you could tell that those ancient boxes were struggling to run alot of modern 3rd party games without massive visual sacrifices.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll ever be as wowed by visual leaps as we have in the past i.e 2D to 3D and SD to HD. I'm sure there's impressive visual tech still to come but we've seen so much by this point each knew thing will be cool but not mind blowing.

I think there are some leaps to be made in gaming though aside from visuals. The first game that comes out with truly special crazy good AI will be huge.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Visually, yeah, I'd say so. Diminishing returns and all that. There just isn't very much further for visuals to go, but I'm also slightly older and find myself impressed by how good most of the games I play these days look, regardless of platform (that includes Switch).

And that's not even getting into the truly stunning graphics we've seen this gen, like in Horizon: Zero Dawn or Spider-Man for example. When I behold games like those, I can't ever imagine wanting or especially "needing" games to look even better, and I don't see how they could by any meaningful degree anymore.

I also have zero issues going back to 8-bit and 16-bit graphics and still appreciating those visuals too, though, so maybe I'm not the right audience for this question.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I expect a decent leap, not huge, but still obvious. In all fairness games look amazing these days, so the upgrades will be based more around lighting and particle effects than pure graphical prowess.

At least that is my thinking.

Oct 27, 2017
Starting from the PS5 generation, will we witness things that expand greatly on what is already done?

I'm not talking about Cyberpunk or Halo Infinite, both of which will be released for current gen consoles, but what comes after that.

I believe the PS4 generation contributed greatly to the open world genre that it made OW of previous generations obsolete.
VR is just getting started

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
AI and Machine Learning could really change how games feel and play in a big way.
This is the next big leap, not just in terms of the end-user experience but game development itself. Some of the more rote tasks like asset creation could be partially automated, allowing development budgets to be used on something else, be it making more games or improving the areas where automation is less effective.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, just like every single other technology, at some point you just stop trying to innovate because you've reached the zenith and there is nothing else to strive for.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
Graphical leaps are done yeah, it's mostly how clever devs use the hardware and engineer to create games with memorable art direction.

The leaps are seemingly going to be how they design games around the SSDs in next gen systems. We'll see how far they get with that though.
People said the same thing when we saw the first PS4 games, and now look at late ps3 vs late ps4 or pc with rtx vs. 2013. This is totally bunk.