• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean... more of the same in a good way: a supersuccessful "new" formula refined, with a different tone and setting, meaning different as creepy/dark...

I just watchet this trailer again and I think it is possible! And I want it!

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I hope so. I liked Mask of Majora better than Ocarina of Time because of how much of a "departure" it was

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean... more of the same in a good way: a supersuccessful "new" formula refined, with a different tone and setting, meaning different as creepy/dark...

I just watchet this trailer again and I think it is possible! And I want it!

Also, please pause the video at the 0:43 mark. I am nearly convinced that Link is going to have a somehow superpowerful arm with new crazy abilities.

IRRC this idea was rejected for the development of BoTW 1 but was in the plans.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would like to think so. MM is still one of my favorites in the series by a wide margin and no game has recreated a number of elements from it in quite the same way or at all. They'll have had at least 3+ years to develop this compared to MM's barely single year. There's nothing holding this back from being an absolutely massive game, especially if they reuse the same overworld, and hopefully a substantial improvement and expansion upon BotW's gameplay and elements.

What direction they'll take things thematically and tonally is harder to say, it certainly seems darker in tone, but you never know just how things will turn out.

They're in a great position to really follow-up with something new and unique and to build off the story, characters and event from BotW much in the same way MM played up on them coming from OoT. Hopefully they pull it off as well as that game did.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope not. Most of what BotW was missing had to do with core Zelda characteristics. Ironically, what they need to do is somewhat the opposite of what was done in MM.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I think that's pretty much what it has to be. The original game came out not even 3 years ago, I think it's impossible for any dev team to build another game like BotW from scratch within the time they had so far without re-using a whole bunch of the stuff they already had.

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
I realize they probably won't do this, but I'd love to see a BotW take on the Happy Mask Salesman

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Also, Hyrule Castle up in the sky.

I´m hyping up myself pretty absurdly lmao

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of hope it's just BoTW+.

I love BoTW. Every time I revisit the game on YouTube I get hit by powerful nostalgia, and the game isn't even that old. I want more of what BoTW is, but I also want that shit fleshed out, and I mean like crazy.

I want fishing poles with bait, I want blacksmithing, I want expanded cooking and real crafting, I want a full-on survival mode, I want 3D swimming, I want more enemy types, more consumables, more environmental interactivity, I want companion characters that can travel with you, I want a reputation/faction system, I want dungeons and underground environments, I want a much larger variety of weapons, 'utility items', and enemies to wield them, I want unique weapons and enemies abound, I want more mounts including machines, I want more world persistance. I want it all, and I'd almost be okay with BoTW 2's Hyrule being nearly the same Hyrule with necessary tweaks, if the core gameplay and everything surrounding it were significantly deepened, so that no two playthroughs would be remotely the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I expect a quick turn around thanks to heavy asset reuse, and a twist that makes things fresh despite seeing the same characters and such around. But I have a hard time seeing it be as huge of a departure story/gameplay-wise as MM was. I don't expect something as game-changing and divisive as majoras three day limit, but more of a refinement on what BotW established.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's pretty much what it has to be. The original game came out not even 3 years ago, I think it's impossible for any dev team to build another game like BotW from scratch within the time they had so far without re-using a whole bunch of the stuff they already had.
I mean, the trailer very clearly showed the same Hyrule, and I'm sure the world took the vast majority of the first game's dev time. I don't expect a whole new setting after the trailer and updating a bunch of the already made overworld wouldnt take nearly as long.

Hopefully, in equation to Majoras Mask, 2 really focuses hard on the narrative and writing.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah put a time limit in Zelda again and I am out. Hate that shit!

Just make shrines more varied visually and put in some real themed nice and juicy dungeons.

Apr 9, 2019
I kind of hope it's just BoTW+.

I love BoTW. Every time I revisit the game on YouTube I get hit by powerful nostalgia, and the game isn't even that old. I want more of what BoTW is, but I also want that shit fleshed out, and I mean like crazy.

I want fishing poles with bait, I want blacksmithing, I want expanded cooking and real crafting, I want a full-on survival mode, I want 3D swimming, I want more enemy types, more consumables, more environmental interactivity, I want companion characters that can travel with you, I want a reputation/faction system, I want dungeons and underground environments, I want a much larger variety of weapons, 'utility items', and enemies to wield them, I want unique weapons and enemies abound, I want more mounts including machines, I want more world persistance. I want it all, and I'd almost be okay with BoTW 2's Hyrule being nearly the same Hyrule with necessary tweaks, if the core gameplay and everything surrounding it were significantly deepened, so that no two playthroughs would be remotely the same.

Nice list! Yeah, I hope there's as much refinement of old stuff as there is new stuff. Nintendo sometimes has the tendency to move on to something new before the full potential of the old has been reached.

OT, I hope this game doesn't make me feel depressed like MM did :P. Plus, darker ain't immediately better as far as I'm concerned.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope there's as much refinement of old stuff as there is new stuff. Nintendo sometimes has the tendency to move on to something new before the full potential of the old has been reached.

OT, I hope this game doesn't make me feel depressed like MM did :P. Darker ain't immediately better as far as I'm concerned.
Nothing in MM is dark for the sake of dark? Most of the sadder stuff gets a happy ending by the end.

Darker in the context of Majoras Mask is that it actually tries to tell unique and creative stories, which is better, actually.
Hell, the basic premise of BotW is darker than Majora's Mask, its just not very well utilized

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. Despite liking BOTW a lot of its core needs change or improvement.

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019
I hope so. I would love to see the introduction of dungeons and inside these dungeons you find new item to progress just like the older Zelda games.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
Judging from the teaser trailer that showed zombie Ganondorf, Hyrule and Zelda (so more or less classic Zelda tropes), I think BotW2 will be much less out there than MM was compared to OoT. I can see it sharing a similar darker/creepier tone though.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I hope its greatness will be more like Super Mario Galaxy 2 was to the original Galaxy.
MM compared to OoT is too polarizing, the time mechanic broke the zelda formula of curiosity and adventure (at your own pace).

Apr 9, 2019
Nothing in MM is dark for the sake of dark? Most of the sadder stuff gets a happy ending by the end.

Darker in the context of Majoras Mask is that it actually tries to tell unique and creative stories, which is better, actually.
Hell, the basic premise of BotW is darker than Majora's Mask, its just not very well utilized
I meant the general suggestion of "dark is better" that lives in pop culture, not specifically MM. I agree that that game achieves it's goals and has a well developed moody setting. It's just not my thing though, so I hope BotW balances seriousness and levity less in favour of the former.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
You mean a game that improves upon its predecessor in almost every way, but that is not as praised by the critics because it's not as innovative ? Sure, I can already see it

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
MM is still the best Zelda game so I sure hope so. I also hope Zelda is playable and they include monster designs along the lines of this:

original.jpg

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so, but I'm not so sure they'll manage it. I mean, I think BotW 2 will be good no matter what; it's hard for me to imagine a way in which they'd fuck it up, but creating a sequel that measures up to what MM was to OoT is a mighty high order.

What really stood out about MM for me was its NPCs/quests and how creepy and quirky and outright dark its story and world got. These are both areas I think base BotW is majorly lacking in, so adding those aspects to BotW 2 would be absolutely amazing and a huge positive in my book. I really, really want them to! But I find myself hesitant to hold my breath about it.
In the case of the NPCs and their questlines, most games have a hard time creating good NPC stories and subsequent quests imo. Their stories are almost always shallow filler fetch quests, and nearly every quest in BotW was exactly that. MM had a really unique setup with its time looping, though, that allowed each NPC and quest to have multiple factors and outcomes, and it added a lot of depth and story to them. They were also extremely involved and, despite being side quests, some of them felt just as meaningful as the main story. I only played MM for the first time a couple years ago, but Kafei and Anju's questline is probably the best sidequest I've ever experienced in a game. Since I assume BotW 2 isn't going to incorporate time loops, it's not going to have that setup there to benefit its quest stories, and I just have a hard time feeling confident BotW 2 will have sidequests anywhere near as good based off of the base game and how rare it is for any games in general to do them well. I do expect a little bit of a improvement in this area (I predict BotW 2 in general will be much more story heavy, so I think the quests will be overall at least a little better, as well), but I really doubt they'll be anywhere as great as MM's.
And then, in the case of MM's amazing creepy factor, I find it difficult to imagine BotW 2 reaching even close to those levels of weird simply because BotW 1 was just so vanilla. There's very, very little especially spooky or dark about it beyond the Champions already having been dead. OoT, in comparison, had some really creepy and/or unnerving stuff in it to begin with, and MM just took that, ran with it, and dialed it up to 11. Based on the trailer, I do get the impression BotW 2 will be darker than 1 at least, but I can't imagine they'll veer too far from what the first game was like. I don't think they'll want to alienate their audience too much.

So I don't know... I really hope for these things. I'd fucking love BotW 2 to be as great as MM, cuz I think BotW has a lot of the same problems that OoT had, but... I'm not holding my breath. I'm just betting on a fun, good game, and hoping for better dungeons and more story. If they can do all that and also vastly improve on their NPC quests and hike the creepy up to 11 again, though, oh boy will I be in gd LoZ heaven. 🙏