• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Destiny 2 (possibly renamed)

Votes: 170 20.2%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 673 79.8%

• Total voters

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience this is not true at all. RL Friends, LFG Sites, ERA, Discord - nothing seems to be as active as it was during D1's best days. Like not at all.

Forsaken's impact also seems way lower and seemed to last way shorter than Taken King's.

Well I'm just quoting straight up stats from tracking websites, nothing anecdotal. D2 also has a dedicated app for LFG which is easier to use and co-ordinate with strangers than using 3rd party LFG sites or Discord. Let me put it this way, it is way less dead than D1 was 4 months after a major expansion.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what Microsoft and Sony does with the pro/X and if they decide to use them as a bridge system.

I believe they can hit 60fps with a massive hit to image quality.

Microsoft might but Sony won't but even then that's not that many systems. You're probably looking at 15 million plus 6 million.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been said, but they've already started work on D3 a while and by now most of the team is on it and in full swing. There is a lot of potential sales in D3 and stuff they can improve and change by a straight sequel instead of staying with D2.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I expect they build Destiny 3 to get an engine base that allows them to expand and quickly iterate and then support that for a long time after

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would prefer it if they did Destiny 3, didn't call it Destiny 3, and confirmed that it would be treated as a gaas type game, and that there wouldn't be a sequel in the foreseeable feature. Regardless, it'd be neat if they actually understood why everybody liked The Taken King and Forsaken so much. Most games like this have devs that are capable of doing a big content drop every once in awhile, and drip out some content in between. Instead, Bungie seems to only be capable of doing one or the other. This recent season has been awful so far.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They can also go the Diablo/borderlands route and make the weapons randomly generated and disposable with more frequent drops with a prestige system that allows you to allocate points to base stats.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
didn't the deal with activision state three games?

i bet they'll fulfill their contractual obligations (which likely include 2–3 years of dlc support for 3) and then try to get out from under the thumb of activision asap

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
D2 is a lost cause. It's impossible to bring new people in and it seems like there are not enough left to sustain the game.

It's either D3, a reboot or no more Destiny at all.
You take every chance you get to shit on Destiny don't you. Destiny in its current state right now is at its best its ever been in the history of the franchise.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 3, or I hope to god that's the case at least. Make it a next gen only title, and have that serve as the base template to build from for the entire next console gen.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
New one. D2 is still limited in many ways and I don't see them sticking with it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
True but again I don't think Sony is ever going to go down that road. They made it clear the system will not get exclusive content.
Well that's something people dedicated to Sony will have to deal with. If you're soley a dedicated Sony only user and a Destiny fan you better start saving up for that new console from now so you can get it day 1. (Or by September 2020 if they stick to September)

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You take every chance you get to shit on Destiny don't you. Destiny in its current state right now is at its best its ever been in the history of the franchise.
But it was better during The Taken King though

didn't the deal with activision state three games?

i bet they'll fulfill their contractual obligations (which likely include 2–3 years of dlc support for 3) and then try to get out from under the thumb of activision asap
Ummm

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
They need to make a Destiny 3 on a new engine, leaving behind the restrictive tools they're currently using. Apparently it can take hours to make minor adjustments to objects in levels, sounds restrictive for a game that wants to be constantly evolving.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My prediction, Destiny 3 ditches the MP turns into a single player game focused on your guardian. Maybe some pvp like halo.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Without Activision, they won't be pushed to released D3 anytime soon. My guess is that they will do a major reworking of the engine, tools, and most importantly the structure and core design of the game. You can tell that D2 still has a lot of the limitations from the PS360 era left, and a true sequel to Destiny should go above and beyond that.

My guess is that D3 will be a soft-reboot of the franchise. It will continue the story and lore, but the way the game is structured will be totally different. I hope this opens for actual power progression, unlike the weird rubberbanding solution they have now. It will also hopefully allow for meaningful character builds that feel different.

Oct 30, 2017
Destiny 3 will happen, we'll see 18 months of post-launch content and then I think they move on. Getting out of that 10-year commitment will hopefully bode well for them. At least I hope so. I'd like to see a Halo: Reach-era Bungie without a blood-sucking publisher attached at the hip.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forsaken> Taken King> ROI> D1>D2

Fight me

I can't find one thing that I like about Forsaken other than the throne.

I think it's the worst raid in the franchise, the worst loot in the franchise, most convoluted, but boring story in the franchise and I just completely dislike the tone of the entire thing.

All subjective I know.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Destiny 3 is the last Destiny but in, as others have said, an infinite capacity.

Sales of core D2 must have flagged hard and additional content releases were probably tracking well below expectations and trending down. In Activisions eyes Destiny was done, Destiny 3 was never going to grow to fan base. A Warframe model is the best way forward and it'll have a good couple mil of hardcore players propping it/Bungie up.

Btw - Taken King was peak Destiny, awesome balance of content, grind/ reward and casual(ish) accessibility.

Last edited:

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hoped Bungie would continue Destiny 1 into Destiny 2.
Keep all the planets, old content (somewhat) relevant ... but build upon what we had...

Such a shame we can't roam around Venus, Mars (other side), Moon and the Cosmodrome ...

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully they've got some ideas for a new IP in the pipeline, because Desriny is like a wet dog fart at this point.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's D3, and they didn't take Destiny in the split so they could not make any more Destiny cmon people.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm out until Destiny 3 no matter how good the expansions are and I'm sure there's many out there that feel the same. So Expansions will only pull in the core and a few that stopped playing while a D3 would pull in the core and many more that stopped playing. So if you're going for a bump to the player base, D3 is the only way to go.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should merge Destiny 1 and Destiny 2.
Destiny 3 should also be in the same game unless they're scrapping everything which I hope so.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Without Activision, they won't be pushed to released D3 anytime soon. My guess is that they will do a major reworking of the engine, tools, and most importantly the structure and core design of the game. You can tell that D2 still has a lot of the limitations from the PS360 era left, and a true sequel to Destiny should go above and beyond that.

My guess is that D3 will be a soft-reboot of the franchise. It will continue the story and lore, but the way the game is structured will be totally different. I hope this opens for actual power progression, unlike the weird rubberbanding solution they have now. It will also hopefully allow for meaningful character builds that feel different.
See you in 2022

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Zero chance they leave behind the Destiny IP. I think Bungie looks at what Digital Extremes is doing w/ Warframe and is thinking "why can't we do that, but better?"

They'd have to start from the ground up to make that happen or somehow or put the entirety of D1 into D2 and have D3 put into that game as well. You can't do what WF does by making sequels and paid expansions that segregate your community. Then there's the fact that their content pipeline is molasses compared to most other games of this type and its actually faster than ever now.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they have ideas for system changes that would necessitate a whole new game, I'd rather they just continue adding on to D2. And honestly, regardless of whether or not they release a D3, I think D2 is still going to continue to be supported with new content for a while, especially now that they don't have Activision funds. Plus, now that they don't have to have a big new thing ready every September, they might be able to take more time to make what comes next exactly how they want it.

In an ideal world (and I don't think it's too far-fetched an idea), we'd get a second annual pass that begins in September, and on top of new content like what the current pass has given on a regular basis, it would also have new story missions that would be added every week or so. Make it almost like an episodic model— check in every week to see what direction the story is taking, and then once you finish it, you spend the rest of the week playing around with the new gameplay additions, on top of the usual weekly milestones and everything. When the pass starts, a new area (like the Forgotten Shore) is added, and maybe a second one gets added halfway through the year.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see them fold all of the Destiny 1 content into Destiny 2 and have them just re-package it as "Destiny" and then move to a 40 - 60 annual pass model or a 5-8 dollar subscription for new content.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Behind the scenes they're preparing for D3. Activision gets a cut of all D2 sales so it makes sense they are moving towards the next product.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
They should continue with Destiny 2 for a while and salvage what success they can. But they don't need to make Destiny 3. The majority of the franchises' lifespan is is engulfed by disappointment. I just think it'll be hard to get people on board with that. Bungie needs something completely new so they can shake the "aura" of the Destiny IP

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
I think we'll see Destiny 3, the question is when... Without someone like Microsoft or Activision pushing them, they might have a hard time getting it finished.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The only real answer is combine D1+D2. People want WoW with guns, an evolving world that constantly builds upon itself. In the new paradigm of service games that remain on your HDD and just get bigger and bigger, a reset just isn't going to cut it. It's a different world now than it was when they were planning this franchise, and if they see that, then they need to do the right thing and combine the classic content into the base game to establish the basis for the platform going forward.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
They need to make a Destiny 3 on a new engine, leaving behind the restrictive tools they're currently using. Apparently it can take hours to make minor adjustments to objects in levels, sounds restrictive for a game that wants to be constantly evolving.

what the fuck is going on at bungie? Wasn't that the ENTIRE POINT OF DESTINY 2, that they knew the tools they had in D1 sucked and made it insanely hard to create new content. Sooooo they made the exact same mistakes in D2? WHAT??

I'm really disappointed in bungie in not looking at GTA 5/Fortnite and saying "thats our goal". A single online world that gets added to every few weeks. I don't want to buy Destiny 3, I want to keep adding on to Destiny. Just make one single destiny f2p game, cosmetic/skins for $, a battle pass sorta system, and then maybe annual SP content drops for free or $ that roll in story, raid, strikes, etc.

The whole "buy this $60 box... then this $40 dlc... then this $40 pass..." makes it so its nearly impossible to have friends all sync'd on what they own and their light levels and everything so its just "fuck it, lets go play Fortnite/Call of Duty/R6" instead. Hopefully the split from Activision is because Activision wants to be box $$ focused and bungie sees the future.