• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Destiny 2 (possibly renamed)

Votes: 170 20.2%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 673 79.8%

• Total voters

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Today DEEJ tweeted:

In their blog, they state: (https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569)

With Forsaken, we've learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We'll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we're looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Do you think Bungie will continue to just build off the current game and possibly rename it to something else in the future?... or do you think a Destiny 3 will happen?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
They will support it in the short term, but Destiny 3 is coming. Hopefully they will take their time with it and let it really reflect their vision.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 3 will come. But at this point, it may be for next-gen consoles only. 2020 or later.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think because they are already deep into working on 3, they'll put that out and it'll be the platform.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on whether Bungie wants to become the Destiny studio or if they will want to pursue other projects. If it's the former and some of the design decisions were made to appease their publisher, I think they'd have to make a clean break from Destiny 2 to undo them and signal a change to their playerbase. What'd make sense would be not to release a Destiny 3 but a Destiny Forever/Infinite/ some other word that indicates they will now build on this one game like Warframe instead of continuing the sequelized model. In any case, they've been rumored to be working on a sequel for a while now, so there's probably gonna be one. Whether it's 3 or a foundational game that they will continue to support for more than 2-3 years is the main question.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Bungie already struck a deal with NetEase on a new IP so they are not going to be sticking to Destiny forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd like them to roll the worlds from D1 into D2, and if they must release a new game make it a platform containing all D1 and D2 worlds.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Nah; Bungie will reset Destiny yet again Destiny 3, we'll all jump in complain that it sucks, jump in again when the Y2 expansion comes in then complain after we're done with that.

The Destiny cycle must be upheld!!!

Looking forward to a next gen Destiny myself though!

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way i see it they might try to do destiny 3 their way before moving to an new game.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
I think just contractually and the way Destiny 2 is tied up with Activision (and therefore battle.net on PC) they just simply can't rework D2 in a major way and flip everything upside down.

I doubt they'd want to, either, but that's beside the point. Point is Destiny 1 and 2 are messy and tied up with Activision.

Destiny 3 (and it may very well not be called that, let's go for something original, like Destiny Infinite?) is a huge chance though.

Bungie could bank what goodwill they have left and finally realize their vision. Make a big game that is a hub and a service and realizes all those lofty dreams from years ago.

People love to jump to the example of basically unifying all the D1 and 2 locations and going from there and well, I bet from a dev perspective that is hell on earth, but let's be real, that is the dream with Destiny and always has been. And the Winter event going back to Earth.. I'm gonna bet people liked that shit.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nah; Bungie will reset Destiny yet again Destiny 3, we'll all jump in complain that it sucks, jump in again when the Y2 expansion comes in then complain after we're done with that.

The Destiny cycle must be upheld!!!

Looking forward to a next gen Destiny myself though!

I recall everyone liking D2 for the first week, praising the improvements they made compared to D1, until the inevitable content drought hits.
Destiny's biggest flaw is the fact that for something with "progression" mechanics there's little to no change in what you do in the game between the first hour you play and the 50th hour.
Sure, the numbers get bigger, but bosses are still bullet sponges and regular enemies, are still cannon fodder.

As opposed to other games, where "leveling up" and "better items" impacts gameplay at least in certain ways - like gaining additional abilities, or becoming pracitically impervious to low level enemy mobs' damage.

I'll be buying Destiny 3, day one - but i'm done getting my hopes up that the "post campaign" gameplay will be anything more than the meaningless Destiny grind.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I may be wrong but I thought the deal with Activision was for a trilogy of games? Or was it 'multiple games'? I think it's very likely there will be a Destiny 3.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Release a follow up title with a subtitle to signify a break from past titles...it will be title.......

Destiny's Child

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Rather than a standalone D3, it would be incredibly awesome if they could rename it Destiny *insert subtitle*, and make it a complete platform that includes all of the content from D1, D2, and D3+. If you're going to model your game off of MMOs, might as well do it properly.

I don't expect that's going to happen, but I can dream.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What i would like to see is essentially Destiny 3 added to Destiny 2 so that Destiny 3 is essentially a full game expansion to Destiny 2 and it means all existing content can still be accessible and it would become a little bit closer to an MMO. I would LOVE for them to chuck in Destiny 1 too but i think that is asking for too much.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe not a Destiny 3, but I think the next game that they will make will be a Destiny GAAS title that would be supported for years to come. It would make the most sense I would imagine.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think they'll have a team to provide content for destiny 2, but honestly see them making a new Ip, or revisiting one of their old ones (if they still own them)

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D2 is a lost cause. It's impossible to bring new people in and it seems like there are not enough left to sustain the game.

It's either D3, a reboot or no more Destiny at all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought they were contractually obligated to produce three games? And weren't they having huge issues with producing content on the current engine in a timely fashion?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'd LIKE to see D2 supported for the rest of this gen, with D3 being a launch window game for next gen that is supported for the entire gen.

But I know Acti will have had them working away on D3 for a while now anyway as a current gen game, and they signed a deal with NetEase to create a new IP, so maybe D3 will happen soon to ride out the current gen, and that will be that for Destiny. New IP for a new generation.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's Bungie's best interest to take their sweet time and make Destiny 3 a proper, next-gen, "revolutionary" sequel, one that really is closer to the original premise and promises and really is varied and big in scope. Right now they are in a rare and privileged position where they can claim they have the vision and means but Activision blocked them from reaching their potential: correct or not, this is the prevalent narrative among gamers right now. People are curious about what Bungie does now, and how they manage the next game. I feel like they'll need a publisher regardless one way or another, so drifting towards EA or T2 would be, from this point of view, be like running away from the wolf only to run towards the bear. They have narrative on their side and they'll be wanting to make a Destiny 3 that changes things hard. This is something that may take relatively long though, so they also have to keep on supporting D2 properly.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
I'm still positive D3 is coming. AnonTheNine, a reliable leaker for Destiny, said that early development began after Forsaken. Saying that they're going full on with the hardcore aspect. My theory is that maybe Bungie had been planning this for a while and decided to build Destiny 3 around the idea that they would be free from Activision.

But a couple thoughts I had for D3 are that
-It'll be the only Destiny game next gen. And they'll keep adding to it and adding to it until the next generation. Where either they'll bring over D3 and cut off support for the last gen systems like they did when Rise of Iron came out. Or make D4 the only Destiny game for that generation.

-Is it gonna be download only? I'm wondering if they'll have to find anyone to distribute the game in a physical manner or if they can do it themselves. If they can't, will they just go download only

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They will obviously keep supporting the current Destiny 2 content cycle with what they have planned and currently announced, but Destiny 3 will 100% be a thing and will likely move the series forward quite a bit.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
D2 is a lost cause. It's impossible to bring new people in and it seems like there are not enough left to sustain the game.

It's either D3, a reboot or no more Destiny at all.

I don't know. Make the base game f2p forever and make money of the expensions for a while until you figure out d3.

Definitely better than banking on the remaining userbase.
I know I wouldn't have dropped any money on the game would it not have been for the free base game.

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon that they'll continue to support Destiny 2 for the remainder of the generation and start pre-production on something completely new; while they find another publisher to support them (no doubt Sony are knocking on their door for a PS5 exclusive title right now...). Destiny 2 might even go F2P; which would definitely buy them plenty of time while they prepare for their next big thing.

There's a decent chance that they'll go with Ubisoft though. They're the only other viable candidate; and I think they'll want to remain multiplatform (And they're not stupid enough to go with EA; especially after what they did to Respawn).

Oct 26, 2017
They'll put Destiny 2 on maintenance and work on Destiny 3 in the meantime, hopefully making it a true sequel instead of what we got going from Destiny 1 to Destiny 2.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I'd like them to roll the worlds from D1 into D2, and if they must release a new game make it a platform containing all D1 and D2 worlds.
Agreed that would be the best route. Maybe in the future add dedicated servers for pvp and 60 fps for next gen consoles. Then just crank out free sp/mp content for the foreseeable future and rake in money from skins/emotes and other cosmetic crap... they could make some sort of battlepass where buying the bp allows you dedicated servers for pvp and maybe raids to help cover server costs.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any bigger content planned for D2 will get rolled into D3 which will be the last game as they move onto a new IP.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
There are diminishing returns to D2 content so they have no choice but to release D3 to engage lapsed games.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
D3 is coming, if for no other reason to be Bungie's literal and symbolic break from Activision. However, if D3 was due in 2020 on the Activision cadence, D3 under Bungie solo is at least a 2021 release now. At least.

Bungie only released shit somewhat on-time because of publisher pressure. Bungie without that pressure? I think they're almost certainly going to a Blizzard style "when its done" release model, assuming they have the bank account to afford that.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
They'll need money now more than ever. D3 will be the same as destiny has been.
They'll probably risk going full "bungie" on the netease game and get their creative side cracking while milking destiny.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Destiny 3 would be the easiest way for them to "soft reboot" the thing. They can pull the "no longer with Activision card" so it gains people's good-will that Destiny 2 lacked so much. Also Sony will probably pay a lot of Sony bucks for that exclusive partnership they love doing to promote the PS5.
I hope Destiny 3 is finally good without compromises, I enjoyed Taken King but found Destiny 2 after its DLC so incredibly boring... guess we will finally see if Activision was behind Destiny's problems or if it was Bungie all along

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
With Bungie self publishing Destiny now, it throws that leaked contract with Activision out the window (or at the least the game schedule). I imagine Bungie will announce something with Destiny 3 around E3 and will do something crazy with it (make it free for previous D1 and D2 owners or if you own Destiny 2, just launch it and download the patch for Destiny 3).

I think with the next gen, they are going to do something completely different with Destiny and have it be a MMO/GAAS.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Zero chance they leave behind the Destiny IP. I think Bungie looks at what Digital Extremes is doing w/ Warframe and is thinking "why can't we do that, but better?"
Better to reboot the series then. If they want a Warframe style game, then they should start at the core again. Also, Destiny is too narrow in focus to emulate Warframe. Not enough classes, weapon variety or mobility options to make it work.