• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Destiny 2 (possibly renamed)

Votes: 170 20.2%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 673 79.8%

• Total voters

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think they'll stick with D2 a little longer post-Annual Pass. I think we'll see D3 arrive with the next gen on consoles late 2020.

Hopefully it's a platform they add to though, so it can be something that expands past the usual numbered sequel.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
I think they'll release a small expansions to end the year, and will release Destiny 3 for the next/cross gen some time next year.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
Today DEEJ tweeted:

In their blog, they state: (https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569)

With Forsaken, we've learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We'll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we're looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Do you think Bungie will continue to just build off the current game and possibly rename it to something else in the future?... or do you think a Destiny 3 will happen?

You missed the option where they drop Destiny and focus on the new IP.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
Better to reboot the series then. If they want a Warframe style game, then they should start at the core again. Also, Destiny is too narrow in focus to emulate Warframe. Not enough classes, weapon variety or mobility options to make it work.

I believe they have been on record saying that the architecture of their software is killing them from doing this. So yeah a reboot makes sense. But, I don't know if they could really compete with warframe at this point. Warframe even has 1 million players on the swtich at this point
( http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/warframe_now_has_one_million_players_on_nintendo_switch ). Also netease as a partner may not go well in the west.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
They did announce that they keep the franchise.

They probably could have sold it off to Activision.
keeping it does not mean they don't stop developing new stuff. in fact all it may mean is they are giving it to netease for them to bring to china where it is currently not supported. That is netease business. So a potential several hundred million new customers of an existing product. win win. maybe that is why they were all so happy at bungie. selling what you already got done is a lot more profit than developing something new. not like the game has a lot of dialog.

Jan 10, 2018
Forsaken didn't bring me back despite playing the previous expansions a lot. It just feels like Destiny needs those sequels to really bring up the hype again. And it's also a great way to rework the fundamentals of the game.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Destiny 3 is definitely coming. I hope they take their time and make it the ultimate Destiny. A fully fledged MMO with expansion packs and all that stuff. No Destiny 4.
It's also probably not coming this generation, I expect one more expansion for Destiny 2 and then D3 in late 2020.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
They should have only one continuous game, like warframe is or Path of Exile. You don't need sequels that reset everything. That's just bad for the health of the game and expensive to manage as well.

They should rework 1 and 2 into one game build it from there.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they will build off D2. Split it off and call it Destiny 3.

I wouldn't expect them to do a whole lot to shake it up now they don't have a financal backer and a pre already into making a new IP

Oct 25, 2017
They should have only one continuous game, like warframe is or Path of Exile. You don't need sequels that reset everything. That's just bad for the health of the game and expensive to manage as well.

They should rework 1 and 2 into one game build it from there.
The lack of a continuous game was mostly the result of the original Activision contract so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 3 will definitely be happening. I hope they won't be doing a Sony (or Microsoft) exclusivity deal this time and that the PC version will be on Steam (Epic, keep your dirty hands off this).

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I believe in time it will just be "Destiny" as a continuous live service game with named patches. Just like Warframe.

But first it will be Destiny 3.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
They did announce that they keep the franchise.

They probably could have sold it off to Activision.

Could have sold it but reckon by the tone over the years and given their portfolio, I'm thinking Acti would rather not.

Makes sense for them to say they'll continue future dev. I imagine much of the forthcoming DLC is wip and they'll want to sell that. Announcing Destiny is coming to a close would damage sales there.

However it goes, will be interesting see.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should stop this shit and keep expanding the same base. Rework the core if you have to but stop spliting and destroying what they built

If Destiny was one giant game composed of D1 + D2 right now, there would be no comparison on the market

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do not believe that it wasn't already in development from almost day one. I also don't believe, and this is backed up by journalistic efforts. That Activision was pulling major strings with their decisions on this kind of thing.

I wish they would hold off on D3 to make real progress on 2. But I just don't think they will.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just build off of Destiny 1 and pretend like Destiny 2 never existed. Bring back Marty and Jason Jones while you're at it. Destiny 2 was just one gigantic, grotesque failure.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
They can put all the planets and maps of d1 & 2 together, make the maps open world as intended, so we can 'go to that mountain' and put actual story content throughout the game that leads to the final showdown with the darkness.

It will be called Destiny Eververse

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A game with the frame narrative of someone retelling the events of Destiny 1+2.

They will call it Tales of Destiny.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I'd desperately hope for them to drop Destiny altogether.

But the most likely outcome is a clean-break D3. Sticking with D2 for any length of time after the split from Activision creates way too many complexities.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of being smarmy and assuming everyone follows all of the news for every game, how about politely inform them of the news, or direct them to it? Or not, because I am ignoring you.

Instead of ignoring a person based on one post and getting offended at them, how about politely reading the links in the OP of this thread.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Destiny 3. They've probably already been working on it for a while and the problems that destiny 2 has can't really be fixed in updates

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Destiny 2 is dead to all but the hardcore so of course they will move to Destiny 3.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they make a Destiny 3 instead since everyone I know and myself has moved on and we're literally waiting for their next game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
thought it was implicit D2 is wrapping up after their planned stuff

if Destiny 3 is the same kind of sequel D2 was i'm probably done with it. I thought D2 would be their free reign to do something closer to their original vision, now with activision out of the way i definitely expect something closer to that.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I expect continued support and then Destiny 3 within a year of next gen. they're probably working on it tho.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I hope they make it just one game and put all the past and future content in it. Always thought this was gonna be the case but as soon as i learned about Destiny 2 i decided to quit it

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Only in gaming side Era do people unironically say that Destiny 2 is dead or has low population. Its amazing how out of touch some people can be.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that would be the best route. Maybe in the future add dedicated servers for pvp and 60 fps for next gen consoles. Then just crank out free sp/mp content for the foreseeable future and rake in money from skins/emotes and other cosmetic crap... they could make some sort of battlepass where buying the bp allows you dedicated servers for pvp and maybe raids to help cover server costs.
That was probably what the annual pass was for. Then again, they said this would be the case with Eververse too..
The lack of a continuous game was mostly the result of the original Activision contract so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That was Bungie not being able to meet their own content deadlines that they set in the contract.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said it's dead, but all sign do indeed point towards "it's not doing well".

https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/20/destiny-2-revenue-down-to-pre-forsaken-levels/

Yeah according to Activision, nothing is doing well including Call of Duty. I wouldn't use their metrics for the actual health of an IP, especially for something like D2 where in-game MTX was significantly pulled back compared to 2017. There's a million people logging in to play it daily, both hardcore and low level players. 40% of people are actually doing patrols, which is nowhere near end-game stuff.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah according to Activision, nothing is doing well including Call of Duty. I wouldn't use their metrics for the actual health of an IP, especially for something like D2 where in-game MTX was significantly pulled back compared to 2017. There's a million people logging in to play it daily, both hardcore and low level players.

In my experience this is not true at all. RL Friends, LFG Sites, ERA, Discord - nothing seems to be as active as it was during D1's best days. Like not at all.

Forsaken's impact also seems way lower and seemed to last way shorter than Taken King's.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think Destiny 3 (or Destiny : Independence Day) will be a next gen game that leans hard into RPG.

I also think it will be a next gen only game, but....that will be the game they build upon for the next 10 years. No more big retail releases, all digital.

Much like Elder Scrolls Online, Neverwinter, Warframe and Final Fantasy 15

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In my experience this is not true at all. RL Friends, LFG Sites, ERA, Discord - nothing seems to be as active as it was during D1's best days. Like not at all.

Forsaken's impact also seems way lower and seemed to last way shorter than Taken King's.
Can't speak for your friends, but Bungie's own app is being used more frequently for lfg than traditional avenues. Much like how Discord replaced the forums for lfg.

The game still tracks nearly 900k pvp and 1.3million pve players per day.