• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Destiny 2 (possibly renamed)

Votes: 170 20.2%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 673 79.8%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2017
I think they pretty much have to do a new game, if only for it to remain visually competitive next gen. I like the idea of rolling in all past worlds, but visually updating all the old stuff sounds like a ton of work for little tangible return. Still, it would be awesome if the game let you play from the Cosmodrome straight through to Scourge of the Past.

Jan 2, 2018
I just hope they use a completely different engine for D3. Preferably something that allows them to edit / update things quickly.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Seems like they wont do nothing more than what is planned, but at the same time it doesn't seem like D3 could come soon. Best thing is support D2 till the end of the gen, make another annual pass, and then bring D3 for the next gen consoles. Crossgen game is a mistake.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they'll still do Destiny 3, but who knows after that.
What I want them to do is change Destiny 3 into Destiny: <Subtitle> (that we can then conveniently call just Destiny or just <Subtitle>) and then finally just make one continuous game that receives expansions and updates for years, true MMO style, instead of numbered sequels where you lose your characters and all of the zones/strikes/raids from previous versions.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
keeping it does not mean they don't stop developing new stuff. in fact all it may mean is they are giving it to netease for them to bring to china where it is currently not supported. That is netease business. So a potential several hundred million new customers of an existing product. win win. maybe that is why they were all so happy at bungie. selling what you already got done is a lot more profit than developing something new. not like the game has a lot of dialog.
I mean, that's all possible, but the most likely scenario is that they didn't sell it off because they want to continue the franchise. Nothing's stopping them from also letting Netease bring it to China.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
They did announce that they keep the franchise.

They probably could have sold it off to Activision.

And if they sold it off that'd be the last Bungie game I ever buy. Destiny is their baby and this situation is nothing like the Halo situation. I'm pretty certain they had no intention of selling it.

Just build off of Destiny 1 and pretend like Destiny 2 never existed. Bring back Marty and Jason Jones while you're at it. Destiny 2 was just one gigantic, grotesque failure.

Eh in many ways the game is better than ever. It just had to go through a shit first year for it to happen. To call it a grotesque failure though is a bit of a hyperbole.

In my experience this is not true at all. RL Friends, LFG Sites, ERA, Discord - nothing seems to be as active as it was during D1's best days. Like not at all.

Forsaken's impact also seems way lower and seemed to last way shorter than Taken King's.

I think we need to see engagement numbers. There was always going to be a drop off from a major expansion, it just happens. Same thing happened to D1 and unlike that game we haven't had months and months of silence bullshit to deal with. I truly believe they're trying to keep the fan base engaged and unfortunately they've done this to themselves. It's also hard to ignore the fact that TTK was at a time when the game was desperate for some fresh content and the player base was still fairly new to the game whereas we've had 4 years of Destiny at this point so whatever magic the first game had isn't going to be there. It's just not a totally comparable situation. It sucks because D2 should have been a complete rebuild of the first game but under it's umbrella. Unfortunately expansions and continuations of one game don't sell as well as full on sequels.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe it's going to be Destiny 3, in late 2020. And we'll see if Bungie is the saint we want them to (again) be... or not.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They'll do the updates they promised, and then have a skeleton team on D2 for minimal updates while they build D3.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I really like what they turned d2 into, I enjoyed year 1 though so maybe I'm in the minority but I feel they did great job learning from CoO, it took them 6 months but with warmind it seemed like a real turn around.

Then forsaken really gave the game the coat it needed.

I think with one extra layer of fun design, something like gambit but better, they could really turn destiny into something timeless.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh in many ways the game is better than ever. It just had to go through a shit first year for it to happen. To call it a grotesque failure though is a bit of a hyperbole.

I think the game right now is a grindy, convoluted mess.

D2 is a desaster, sorry. It's still a huge regression from D1. The throne and the whisper mission are high highs, but basically everything else was better in D1.

The way it plays, the music, the world building, the raids, the atmosphere, trials, quest tracking, guns, armors, overall designs, factions, SRL, the power fantasy... you name it.

The fact that D2 is a sequel to D1 and not vice Versa is both: hilarious and grotesque.

And sad.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
A Destiny 3 that's similar to a proper Halo game with a sp campaign, and then a mp component with both PVE and PVP modes is the dream.

I personally just want D3 to be Bungie's return to it's Halo roots, I don't care about the PVE Destiny aspect, but I guess they would need to include it somehow for fans of the current series.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If they release a Destiny 3, I hope they include the locations from the first two games at some point. I wanted them to build Destiny like an MMO, but the iterative release approach makes the game thinner than it needs to be.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 is dead. The annual pass was for the addicts, not for everyone. There's only so many ways they can fix and modify it. I'm sure they're tired of it.

Not to mention that a lot of people dislike 2. They need to bury it and bring 3.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens, if I spend $90.00 on Destiny 3, I hope it includes Destiny 3.5. Getting tired of this pay $40 a year later for the true Destiny experience.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think this gives them more freedom to do what they want and their own pace but still needs to remain profitable.

But I think there is more room to build by staying in D2 instead of going for another restart in D3.

the transition form D1 to D2 was rough when many would have preffered to stay in an expanded D1.

know, maybe it's better to stay longer in D2 and build ontop of it

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I don't think they'll do anything for D2.

The hint about the future is in their words:

We'll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we're looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

So:
- "seasonal updates", as planned
- same roadmap, as planned
- exciting announcements

Please notice that these announcements are exclusively about "what lies beyond." That means beyond the current schedule.

And since this won't be a product, but an *announcement* of a product, you can bet it's a new title.

What's likely is instead that this next Destiny brand new title will probably be "Destiny" without a number. Some soft reboot.

But considering their words Destiny 2 is just there with minimal support while they focus on the next thing.

Actually I think that Destiny 2 will get, at best, another Annual Pass like this one, but not an actual expansion similar to Forsaken.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If Bungie just builds off of Destiny 2 then they wouldn't be able to force you to grind all over again for the same old exotics. They need a reset to be able to recycle the old content, and sell it to you a third time.

Gammacide

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping for a bigger, more immersive universe with much more content than D1 or 2 had. A new engine would be amazing too, but would it be cross gen? Maybe. D1 was brilliant and D2 was good, then bad, then great again, then horrible. I regret buying the season pass early because Black Armory is absolutely awful and PvP is rotten now too imho. PvP kept me coming back to D1 for a long time and now I don't want to touch D2 ever again. :( D3 needs to improve on D1 in all areas because D2 was a regression.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game right now is a grindy, convoluted mess.

D2 is a desaster, sorry. It's still a huge regression from D1. The throne and the whisper mission are high highs, but basically everything else was better in D1.

The way it plays, the music, the world building, the raids, the atmosphere, trials, quest tracking, guns, armors, overall designs, factions, SRL, the power fantasy... you name it.

The fact that D2 is a sequel to D1 and not vice Versa is both: hilarious and grotesque.

And sad.

Okay, I'll bite. How exactly is the world building a disaster?

Oct 27, 2017
They'll make Destiny 3 "vision". So all the forumites will think that bungie unshackled will finally realise their vision.

Only to find out the D3, is exactly the same as its predecessors... Because it was Bungies vision all along

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll bite. How exactly is the world building a disaster?

I said it was better in D2, not a Disaster.

And I don´t think that´s really debatable. D1 is a universe full of mystery and wonder. The Speaker, Eris Morn, the opening hours of the campaign, the music and how the themes tie together the entire package.
Every Character in D1 is like 2 layers deeper than any character in D2.
D1 also tells a better story. It´s not told better, but it is better.

It´s just a better put together world.

D2 is like a direct to disc Liam Neesen revenge flick in comparison. It builds on humor and fails miserably.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
They will probably support it for a little while, and honour anything they may still owe Activision, then focus on a new game or a different game.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they have no clue how to make this game great. They were coming close near the end of D1, but since then its gone to shit. So my guess would be another sad attempt at a relaunch with Destiny 3. In the meantime I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring some beloved D1 content forward into D2.

Dec 6, 2017
Forsaken's impact also seems way lower and seemed to last way shorter than Taken King's.
Are you just spewing nonsense? Have you played the game at all? Forsaken is by far considered the best expansion (not saying much as there are only 3 now) that Destiny has ever had. And by this time after Taken King, the community was in a major content drought and very vocal about it as well. There wasn't anything new after Taken King (Sept 2015) until April 2016. The state of the game now versus where D1 was at the time is significantly better. I mean, every 3 weeks the Forsaken storyline is progressed, plus we have the season pass which is content for the full year after Forsaken's release.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you just spewing nonsense? Have you played the game at all? Forsaken is by far considered the best expansion (not saying much as there are only 3 now) that Destiny has ever had. And by this time after Taken King, the community was in a major content drought and very vocal about it as well. There wasn't anything new after Taken King (Sept 2015) until April 2016. The state of the game now versus where D1 was at the time is significantly better. I mean, every 3 weeks the Forsaken storyline is progressed, plus we have the season pass which is content for the full year after Forsaken's release.

Don´t try to educate me on Destiny. I was there for the ride.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just build off of Destiny 1 and pretend like Destiny 2 never existed. Bring back Marty and Jason Jones while you're at it. Destiny 2 was just one gigantic, grotesque failure.
You've been shitting on destiny relentlessly for the last 6 months. I wouldn't take what you say with anything other than a grain of salt about destiny. It's definitely not a failure, I doubt they will leave content behind again and it might be a new game but building on the existing content.

Don´t try to educate me on Destiny. I was there for the ride.
It seems like you need to be because of your constant shit posts.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Destiny 3 must well underway already with Activision's influence. I'll wait for Destiny 3 Year 2, I still don't trust Bungie 100%. And I will never pre-order a Bungie game ever again for sure.

Destiny 3 Year 2 will be the key release.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've been shitting on destiny relentlessly for the last 6 months. I wouldn't take what you say with anything other than a grain of salt about destiny. It's definitely not a failure, I doubt they will leave content behind again and it might be a new game but building on the existing content.

It seems like you need to be because of your constant shit posts.

Shit posts? Give me a break.

I have opinions and I do back them up.

Couple of month ago I was called a fanboy because I liked warmind.

Aug 26, 2018
Destiny 3 will be BUNGIE back to its best. The MTXs, the Time pressure, Season Pass pressures will be much less rigorous which held back another wise excellent shooter with great fundamentals and solid shooter mechanics.

Bungie would want to feel vindicated with their move and will give us the best Destiny we can hope for.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit posts? Give me a break.

I have opinions and I do back them up.

Couple of month ago I was called a fanboy because I liked warmind.
I like mosts of your posts but especially in this thread and the last few destiny ones I haven't seen you back it up but just continuously shit on the game.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like mosts of your posts but especially in this thread and the last few destiny ones I haven't seen you back it up but just continuously shit on the game.

Yeah. I think Destiny 2 is bad. I think Destiny 1 is better in basically every regard. And I say specifically why - in this thread and in every other thread I feel like engaging in.

I don´t know why people feel like dropping "you are shitposting" one liners my way when I have been a very active member in this community for 5 years and I explain my opinions.

People asking me if I have even played the game is just comical.

Yet all you spew is nonsense. Sure doesn't seem like it.

What are you trying to pull here?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think Destiny 2 is bad. I think Destiny 1 is better in basically every regard. And I say specifically why - in this thread and in every other thread I feel like engaging in.

I don´t know why people feel like dropping "you are shitposting" one liners my way when I have been a very active member in this community for 5 years and I explain my opinions.

People asking me if I have even played the game is just comical.
I definitely know you have played the game. I wasn't questioning that.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm glad I'm not in charge over there because I would have no fucking clue how to proceed. I think they are really stuck between a rock and hard place trying to build a game that is widely appealing enough to capture a big, sustainable audience while not making the next game / big update a betrayal of what they've built so far or something so dissimilar from existing Destiny that it won't bring along the series' most hardcore fans. By all accounts it seems like F2P and yet still hardcore games like Warframe and Path of Exile are sustainable, but I honestly don't know if Bungie can hit those marks. Since D2 came out I feel like they really haven't proven they have the ability or willingness to iterate and communicate in the ways that are needed for a long-term live game. And now they have to do it all completely by themselves, without the support and funding of a huge publisher to insulate them from issues.

They obviously feel very good about this news based on the reporting we've heard, but I am not entirely sure it's going to end well for them.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Forsaken has been the best thing to happen destiny. Compared to Taken King it's a lot better.

If they can take everything from Forsaken and make that's the base model? It will be a success

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah people have rose tinted view of Taken King, and the reason is because TTK lifted Destiny out of its Y1 disaster single handedly and turned into a solid product. But the content and scope of Forsaken shits on TTK from great height. During TTK you could sign in on reset day, do all your activities on all 3 characters, and sign out in 4 hours tops. Try doing that now, especially with BA stuff added to the mix. You'd be lucky to get half the stuff done on ONE character in that amount of time.