• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Destiny 2 (possibly renamed)

Votes: 170 20.2%
  • Destiny 3

Votes: 673 79.8%

• Total voters

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see what destiny can be without Activision involved but i'm afraid it might mean rebooting D3 and rebooting a destiny game that's already well into production hasn't worked. but maybe third times the charm? i personally am fine with them ditching Destiny and just going all in on their new IP. some of my clan members have mentioned just ditching D3 and build upon D2 as the platform and maybe just rename it to Destiny. I think the loot needs a complete overhaul and i think they need to go full in on PVE , PVP be damned, and i think they need to fully embrace the MMO side of it. I love raiding, love playing with friends, hate the restrictive RNG. If you're not going to make things guaranteed drops or have things on a knockout list then let me get drops more than once a week. Always disliked the only 1 exotic weapon and 1 exotic armor piece too.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people have rose tinted view of Taken King, and the reason is because TTK lifted Destiny out of its Y1 disaster single handedly and turned into a solid product. But the content and scope of Forsaken shits on TTK from great height. During TTK you could sign in on reset day, do all your activities on all 3 characters, and sign out in 4 hours tops. Try doing that now, especially with BA stuff added to the mix. You'd be lucky to get half the stuff done on ONE character in that amount of time.

How much time it takes you to get your shit done is not a metric I use to measure quality.

I also hate the "rose tinted view" argument. I still play D1 once in a while. Still feels better, still sounds better, my gear is still cooler, my characters still look better.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
How much time it takes you to get your shit done is not a metric I use to measure quality.

I also hate the "rose tinted view" argument. I still play D1 once in a while. Still fells better, still sounds better, my gear is still cooler, my characters still look better.

So your measure of quality is mostly looks and sound, alright then.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Merge D1 and D2 content, go back to just "Destiny" name without numbering.
Assuming they like the current framework/workflow of adding new content, of course.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're going to move on to another Destiny game for sure, but I really hope it's the "last" one. I'd love to see them take their time and just release "Destiny: Whatever" with no number attached. Then use that as a platform for the next 5 to 10 years. I'll gladly pay for expansions and such if they're adding onto the core game.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Destiny 3 will come. But at this point, it may be for next-gen consoles only. 2020 or later.

I think next gen consoles will be similar enough that we'll 100% see crossgen. There's no way they'll independently publish only on a brand new, small user base.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I said it was better in D2, not a Disaster.

And I don´t think that´s really debatable. D1 is a universe full of mystery and wonder. The Speaker, Eris Morn, the opening hours of the campaign, the music and how the themes tie together the entire package.
Every Character in D1 is like 2 layers deeper than any character in D2.
D1 also tells a better story. It´s not told better, but it is better.

It´s just a better put together world.

D2 is like a direct to disc Liam Neesen revenge flick in comparison. It builds on humor and fails miserably.

I'm cool with "I think," and presenting it as your own controversial opinion, but its laughable to think its not debatable when 90% of Destiny's community disagrees with you. Forsaken is great by most accounts, especially the lore community.

Just specifically talking about the worldbuilding here (because its my favorite part), Destiny 2 takes place is the exact same universe that Destiny 1 takes place in. The Speaker and Eris are both presented as the exact same characters. Its events are all a direct continuation to the events of D1. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about (characters being "deeper," the world being better "put together") beyond an emotional feeling that is unquantifiable outside of your own experience and not something that can hold up in a discussion in text over the internet (in which case, I guess I could understand why you hate D2 so much!)

For example:

D2 is like a direct to disc Liam Neesen revenge flick in comparison. It builds on humor and fails miserably.

This particular statement is frankly bizarre, entitled, and reductive. You are either willfully engaging with a story that doesn't exist, or talking about issues that haven't existed in the games writing since Warmind – I cant tell which.

In which Liam Neeson movie does he team up with an alien crime boss and space elf ranger to hunt a mad prince and zombie outlaws? Which movie ends with them killing a shapeshifting dragon and cursing a sacred city to be caught in a time loop? Which movie successfully married the Books of Sorrow with Paradise Lost as an origin story for the space elf god queen? And what exactly is funny about any of that?

I'd love to talk about how much better the characterization is than D1 (minus two big missteps with Ghost and Brother Vance) but I don't think we're talking about the same game, in which case its wasted energy. You dont care and wont ever adequately represent a game you dont like.

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Instead of being smarmy and assuming everyone follows all of the news for every game, how about politely inform them of the news, or direct them to it? Or not, because I am ignoring you.

he wasn't being smarmy. it was huge news that dropped yesterday and he was pointing out that your comment was missing the entire point of the thread.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand why gamers continue to clamor for incremental upgrades. Games need a clean break and full fledged sequels to truly achieve their full vision. They need to take advantage of new tech and new hardware. Being tied to a dated engine which itself was tied to last gen consoles is probably the worst thing that held back Destiny. Anthem not only looks a gen ahead, it also plays a gen ahead. We have been asking for space ships in destiny for five years now and Bioware was able to give us flying without needing to get in a vehicle.

Destiny at the moment is basically a last gen game. they might have some fancy particle effects and current gen lighting but everything else about it screams last gen. they need to ditch this engine or do a complete overhaul to bring it in line with other AAA games like Battlefield, Red Dead, Anthem and all these fancy Sony exclusives.

Or just skip this gen and shoot for a next gen Destiny 3. Go Balls out. Define what a next gen shooter should be instead of letting other companies do it. They released their last full game in September 2017, that gives them 3 years to create a full fledged sequel for a next gen launch.

As good as forsaken was, it is starting to feel dated. It felt like i was playing a destiny 1 expansion. there is nothing new. the environments are samey. the structure is the same. the open world is the same. no real vehicle play. i wouldve expected larger more open levels with a lot more going on. what we got was basically identical to destiny 1. they just cant do that again.

Go nuts, if BF can do massive levels with air combat with 64 players on screen with full destruction at 60 fps THIS gen then they can do a whole lot more with Ryzen CPUs with 8 cores and 16 threads at 3.0 ghz next gen. Give me massive numbers of enemies on screen at once. Get rid of partols areas and make it a seemless open world that i can fly around in. they can keep raids small for design decisions but the rest go nuts. Take inspiration from that Halo 2 E3 demo. DICE will never create a decent single player or coop game. Epic isnt even trying anymore. Sony has killed all KZ, MAG, Resistance, SOCOM and Warhawk. Ubisoft is making boring ubisoft shooters. 343i hasnt made a great game in 9 years. It's up to Bungie to leave this dated Destiny 2 engine behind and really innovate.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with "I think," and presenting it as your own controversial opinion, but its laughable to think its not debatable when 90% of Destiny's community disagrees with you. Forsaken is great by most accounts, especially the lore community.

Just specifically talking about the worldbuilding here (because its my favorite part), Destiny 2 takes place is the exact same universe that Destiny 1 takes place in. The Speaker and Eris are both presented as the exact same characters. Its events are all a direct continuation to the events of D1. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about (characters being "deeper," the world being better "put together") beyond an emotional feeling that is unquantifiable outside of your own experience and not something that can hold up in a discussion in text over the internet (in which case, I guess I could understand why you hate D2 so much!)

For example:

This particular statement is frankly bizarre, entitled, and reductive. You are either willfully engaging with a story that doesn't exist, or talking about issues that haven't existed in the games writing since Warmind – I cant tell which.

In which Liam Neeson movie does he team up with an alien crime boss and space elf ranger to hunt a mad prince and zombie outlaws? Which movie ends with them killing a shapeshifting dragon and cursing a sacred city to be caught in a time loop? Which movie successfully married the Books of Sorrow with Paradise Lost as an origin story for the space elf god queen? And what exactly is funny about any of that?

I'd love to talk about how much better the characterization is than D1 (minus two big missteps with Ghost and Brother Vance) but I don't think we're talking about the same game, in which case its wasted energy. You dont care and wont ever adequately represent a game you dont like.

Weird how you don't actually engage with anything I say, but instead get hung up on my Liam Neeson comment and ask me if any Liam Neeson flick literally had the exact story of Forsaken.
I vastly prefer the world building in D1. (Actually just started a new character just for fun)
D1's world feels mysterious, and epic. D2's world feels small.

D2's base story was a revenge story presented by a snarky (annoying) robot. Forsaken (to me) was just convoluted and not satisfying at all.

If Destiny 1 is The Godfather 1&2, Destiny 2 is The Godfather 3.

It does not have the grandeur or scale or class of D1.

It's possible that "world building" is not the right term for what I'm saying.

I'm German and trying my best.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah; Bungie will reset Destiny yet again Destiny 3, we'll all jump in complain that it sucks, jump in again when the Y2 expansion comes in then complain after we're done with that.

The Destiny cycle must be upheld!!!

Looking forward to a next gen Destiny myself though!

It was a sequal, not an expansion. It didn't suck any more than any other sequel not carrying over progress.

Deleted member 25671

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, I've enjoyed my time with Destiny 1 and Destiny 2, i do hope they make a 3rd installment. They really need a clean start, so either a third game or just a relaunch of sorts with the old content + a whole new campaign would be great(Just call it Destiny, and iterate on it). I'd love more character customization, skills and perks and whatnot, stuff like that would be amazing.
It'd be nice to see them also learn how to tell a story, it's been 5 years and while the lore is great, they haven't presented it in the game in anyway other than... bad.
Shooting is a blast though, and Forsaken has been a ton of fun.
I know they're gonna do a new IP, but I do feel like they can't rest on Destiny if they want to keep it viable. If Anthem turns out well it could eat up some player base. Same if Division 2 comes out strong. People can only split their time so much.

Oct 27, 2017

For example:

90 percent of the community? How can you say that when not even half of the community has reached the Dreaming City?

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
It could honestly go either way but I think they should move on to Destiny 3.

Build off of the foundation laid on both games it'll be interesting to see a Destiny game without feeling the pressure of Activision or any publisher for that matter.

Destiny will finally be it's own thing or whatever else Bungie decides to do.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
90 percent of the community? How can you say that when not even half of the community has reached the Dreaming City?

Man, thats amazing that half of the active playerbase never finished Forsaken! Its pretty incredible to think that in the four months since it released 50% of the active playerbase has been playing the same 8 to 10 hours of content and avoiding the other half of the expansion they paid for.

(No seriously, wtf are you even suggesting?)

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, thats amazing that half of the active playerbase never finished Forsaken! Its pretty incredible to think that in the four months since it released 50% of the active playerbase has been playing the same 8 to 10 hours of content and avoiding the other half of the expansion they paid for.

Some people latch on to a narrative and never let go

Fonz72

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for what this could lead to. I've always had a Love/Hate relationship with Destiny. I miss Destiny 1 though. I want Destiny 1, 2 and whatever 3 ends up being rolled in to a single game similar to how World of Warcraft does it. Charge for the newest expansion and get everything prior free. Hell I'd even pay a monthly fee if I had access to that amount of content.

Also, this game NEEDS TRANSMOG ASAP!

Oct 27, 2017

It's actually 11 percent of the player base for Destiny 2 has reached the Dreaming City. Amazing numbers. Tell us again how 90+ percent of the base loves the game so much that they simply didnt buy Forsaken or played it just enough to approach the DC but never go in.

Some people latch on to a narrative and never let go
Ohhhhh you burned me good. Let's see you defend his 90 percent number.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is going on at bungie? Wasn't that the ENTIRE POINT OF DESTINY 2, that they knew the tools they had in D1 sucked and made it insanely hard to create new content. Sooooo they made the exact same mistakes in D2? WHAT??

I'm really disappointed in bungie in not looking at GTA 5/Fortnite and saying "thats our goal". A single online world that gets added to every few weeks. I don't want to buy Destiny 3, I want to keep adding on to Destiny. Just make one single destiny f2p game, cosmetic/skins for $, a battle pass sorta system, and then maybe annual SP content drops for free or $ that roll in story, raid, strikes, etc.

The whole "buy this $60 box... then this $40 dlc... then this $40 pass..." makes it so its nearly impossible to have friends all sync'd on what they own and their light levels and everything so its just "fuck it, lets go play Fortnite/Call of Duty/R6" instead. Hopefully the split from Activision is because Activision wants to be box $$ focused and bungie sees the future.

The person you quoted is just parroting the old Destiny 1 article.

If today's announced changes are any indicator, they won't learn anything. Nerf nerf nerf.

Sad...

giphy.gif

There's a naive, foolish part of me that always holds out hope, but....yeah

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If today's announced changes are any indicator, they won't learn anything. Nerf nerf nerf.

What utter bullshit. Why do I even read destiny threads if this is the case.

Today's news was literally nothing but buffs except for the two most overpowered supers in the game which both are getting small nerfs.

Destiny haters are insane. You just make up bs from years ago and act like it's a "current indication"

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

Today's news was literally nothing but buffs except for the two most overpowered supers in the game which both are getting small nerfs.

Destiny haters are insane. You just make up bs from years ago and act like it's a "current indication"

Dont mind Carolina Reapers posts. They are reaching insane levels of nothing but negativity in every Destiny thread. Its almost like its their job to hate the game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hope is for Destiny 3 to launch exclusively on next gen systems, and then last the entire generation with expansions.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's almost as if the "haters" want the game to be fun. Unthinkable right?

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually 11 percent of the player base for Destiny 2 has reached the Dreaming City. Amazing numbers. Tell us again how 90+ percent of the base loves the game so much that they simply didnt buy Forsaken or played it just enough to approach the DC but never go in.

Ohhhhh you burned me good. Let's see you defend his 90 percent number.

So not only are you antagonizing people with dumb math, but you are misequating trophy data with the active playerbase. Incredible.

12.6% of the playerbase completed the campaign according to that same trophy data you cited, compared to the 11.1% who reached the Dreaming City, so (by those numbers) 88%* of the eligible players who completed Forsaken went on to unlock the Dreaming City.

*(according to trophy data)

Now, without even getting into how unreliable trophy numbers are as a standalone source, or how total story completions are not an accurate measure of the active playerbase, most estimates put Forsaken's campaign completion between 7 and 10 hours (I honestly don't know if that includes unlocking the Dreaming City).

So what you are saying is the "22%" of Destiny players who played through a 7 to 10 hour campaign but dropped off before completing the immediate next step (and the other half of the expansion they paid for) represent "less than half" of the community that regularly plays Destiny?

Thank you, internet friend, for the brilliant math, scholary analysis, and genuine hearty chuckle I just had.

Oct 27, 2017
So not only are you antagonizing people with dumb math, but you are misequating trophy data with the active playerbase. Incredible.

12.6% of the playerbase completed the campaign according to that same trophy data, compared to the 11.1% who reached the Dreaming City, so (by those numbers) 88% of the eligible players who completed Forsaken went on to unlock the Dreaming City.

Now, without even getting into how unreliable trophy numbers are as a standalone source, or how total campaign completions are not an accurate measure of the active playerbase, most estimates put Forsaken's campaign completion between 7 and 10 hours (I honestly don't know if that includes the Dreaming City).

So what you are saying is the "22%" of Destiny players who played through a 7 to 10 hour campaign but dropped off before completing the immediate next step (and an entire extra zone of content) represent "less than half" of the community that regularly plays Destiny?

Thank you, internet friend, for the brilliant math, scholary analysis, and genuine hearty chuckle I just had.
You're going after my math after claiming 90 percent of the player base loves Forsaken? Come on. Back up that percentage.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're going after my math after claiming 90 percent of the player base loves Forsaken? Come on. Back up that percentage.

It was a figure of speech, meant to convey that the majority of the Destiny community is happy with Forsaken. Which I certainly never claimed to back up with mathematical certainty ;)

I get that you don't like it, and that you will continue to post about how much you hate it and how bad you are at math. Thats cool, I respect the hustle.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The masses have already moved on from Destiny 2. It'd be suicide to keep only supporting that game. I'm sure they're excitedly ramping up for Destiny 3 at the moment.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
They should instead make Myth 3 (The REAL Myth 3), Oni 2 and Marathon 4. Learn from their roots