• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think E3 will die?

• Yes. It won't exist at all

Votes: 42 24.7%
  • Kinda. It'll still be an event to let people play upcoming games, there just won't be conferences.

Votes: 106 62.4%
  • Nope. The huge conferences will continue.

Votes: 22 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

This tweet got me thinking about this. For decades E3 has been the gaming event, but ever since Nintendo pioneered not having a live conference, more and more players have been dropping out of the game, most notably Sony not even having a booth last year.

Of course, E3s already had its lows so maybe this year it'll break records. What do you think?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Yes and as much as I painfully don't want it to be true I have no argument against it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
ElxFC7i.png

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It has been for a very long time. Publishers don't need E3 anymore with how easy it is to get your message out there. It helps smaller publishers/developers to get press attention but E3 as the main industry event is done.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
What has contributed to the decline though? Were they too restrictive with publishers/companies? Is it a rise in social media, so companies can disseminate their own message instead?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
There are no real downsides to the Direct format. I expect everyone to go in that direction eventually.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll shrink. Not sure about death quite yet, even after the doxxing incident last year.

Feb 10, 2018
I would of thought online views would be just as important a metric as physical attendance.

But E3 is not needed, it's nice to have conferences close together though.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
It's run by absolute morons. I wish that they would get Keighly to take over, he could have the demos that go live during the event and more. He's got great ideas with The Game Awards. Heck, he could combine the two. E3 is a mess.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
E3 has been decreasing in importance since when Nintendo announced that they rather have a video on youtube/twitch than a live conference for journalists in .... 2013

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I think because you have so many channels and streaming now, E3 isn't really special any more. And honestly half the fun of E3 was seeing them making a fool of themselves like dancing at Wii Music or "Ridge Racer!" You can't reasonably ask them to put on a circus every year. They're executives, not entertainers. And some of the classic and charming personalties like Iwata sadly passed away and Reggie no longer works for Nintendo.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If Sony is indeed skipping it again, in a year where they'll no doubt have huge announcements to make (unlike last year), then that's royally going to hurt E3.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Sadly, yes. It was my favorite time of the year, but I guess it won't be long now until it dies off.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people thought Nintendo were shooting themselves in the foot for not having an E3 conference in 2013. Foresight was 20/20

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I kind of expect E3 as it is to die at this point, yes. The question is how much of a need for the other part of E3, the mingling of developers, publishers and retail, will remain with stores like GameStop also being in decline, especially when it comes to selling video games.

I could see GDC absorb some of the interdisciplinary mingling, or maybe something new, but I just don't see a future for E3 anymore.

The only thing I can see E3 be useful for is getting more mainstream press to talk about games, but there has to be less expensive ways to do that.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If it happens it happens.

Yes it's always a time to look forward to, but mostly it's the press conferences I always look forward to. Nothing is stopping the big companies to hold their own event to show off new games.

Zenimax has tons of money, they can have their own show around the time of E3 and the same goes for all other big boys. Right?

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It will continue to dwindle but still continue to be an event for companies to announce new stuff. I expect it will become more on the level of something like gamescom as time goes on.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More interesting Question is:

Can you get the Platform holders back?

What do you need to change to do it.

The videogame industry gets a weekend where all eyes are in it. There is reporting in mainstream media outlets.

Like GameStop and having a presence on the high Street and in malls, when it's gone, it will be missed more than people realise.

Oct 26, 2017
Right now I'm in the nope camp.

It's just too important/big for folks to just abandon ship. There'd have to be a VERY massively marketed successor to even hope of luring big companies towards it rather than E3. Sony's decision to skip could bite them in the ass, it remains to be seen.

To me E3 is just literally ingrained as the "Christmas of Gaming" event held every year before summer. Like even non-gamers/casuals know it as such I'm sure. It's reported on every year in newspapers and non-gaming outlets no?

Nintendo for one would have to completely rethink their strategy. Would they go back to what they did in Jan 2017 and hold special playable events, MAYBE with a live conference format again? They'd need something big and flashy to tell the world that they're there. E3 did that already easily IMO. But Nintendo would have to do it all on their own if E3 wasn't around.

Just my two cents.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Problem is with the organizer and really with how times have changed... Look at Sony's WIRED Articles they pretty much talk about the hardware and software.

Game announcements? You can do a State of Play like or even a whole EVENT to cover a NEW GENERATION.

I really love the "year event" too look forward too but if MAJOR names like Sony & nintendo keep dropping support... Alongside some other big 3rd party like EA and Take-Two... It gets to a point to why it matters?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no. The convention itself is dying but I expect MS and Sony to follow Nintendo and have their own direct style videos/livestreams around the same time E3 normally happens. It's more of an evolution rather than an extinction. The direct style format is just the future.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They probably deserve to die after the doxxing stuff last year, but I assume it will just slowly shrink. E3 still has too much mindshare and hype behind it to die in the short term.

In the future, I see it evolving into being more like Gamescon or TGS, more regional events with more fan attendance that still have the occasional big announcments but aren't the main event of the year.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It has been for a very long time. Publishers don't need E3 anymore with how easy it is to get your message out there. It helps smaller publishers/developers to get press attention but E3 as the main industry event is done.
This is true, but I still loved to watch Nintendo's Treehouse. Devs having time to presenting and play their games is really great. Conference / Direct are now full of small trailer, gameplay isn't that present anymore.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's a shame, I always looked forward to it. But the doxing was inexcusable.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to hold on to it. The ESA is a bunch of fucktwits. I wish them nothing but failure.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I think this will force a dramatic change on what E3 means. I don't think it will die but it will be completely different a few years from now. Mostly about third party and indies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It makes no sense nowadays with internet to make very expensive live conferences in Los Angeles

Oct 25, 2017
If MS leaves, its pretty much all over. They do have their own arena and aren't on the show floor at all, so they are kinda cheating tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.