• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I was thinking with many of the launch games on the Xbox Series X/S and PS5 targeting 60fps will we see games sacrifice resolution and other graphical improvements for frame rate? What I would like to see have games give an option for frame rate or resolution/graphical improvements like in Spider Man: Miles Morales and Dirt 5. I hope games use 4k checkerboard, dynamic resolution, and 1440p resolution to target 60fps rather than native 4k with a 30fps.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
They will focus on graphical fidelity first. Just like all past generations.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You will see devs pushing 4K and RT with 30fps

You will see devs pushing 60fps in specific titles

You will see devs doing a mix of both

The CPU this time is not shit, they have enough horsepower to offer various modes.

Native 4K and 60fps will rarely happen (maybe fighting games and sport titles, maybe)

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I want options but honestly im gonna be (and am prepared to be) disappointed when games dont hit 4k60.

Thats the promise of this gen, IMO. Should be the standard. I look at last gen as a 1080p/30 standard. Plenty of games didnt hit that, but still

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Upscaling from 1440p please

That's what these boxes should target where appropriate (to actually accommodate for RT if they choose to include it) and upscale to 4k; gives room to actually make the graphics look nicer instead of just more pixels.

The UE5 Demo, Miles Morales, Demon Souls etc all look incredible at 1440p with clever upscaling solutions and the latter two simply feel and look even better to actually play at 60fps.

lorclonil

Oct 27, 2017
*Inserts 'Why Not Both?' meme* Seriously, though, I'm all for pushing 4k/60/RT w/ more artistic liberties to maintain it. Imagine something like Super Mario Galaxy w/ 4k textures, RT, and running at a locked 60fps.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can see current gen (feels weird to call them current gen now, lol) games in the future go with two options. 4K/30fps for the best graphical experience and 1440p/60fps for the best performance.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Neither is probably the correct answer.

Once developers will start making next-gen exclusive games and actively pursuing the highest graphical fidelity possible on PS5 and XBSX they'll just focus on 30 fps all over again and full 4k resolution will be seen as a waste of resources.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm optimistic 1080p / 60fps modes will continue to a certain extent even as we progress out of this initial phase

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS have made 60fps a key objective. So for XGS, 60fps will be the norm.

Not sure about 4k though.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
We all want that sweet 60fps, but we know in our hearts graphical bells and whistles will win in the end.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Normally I'd say that 30fps is going to be standard again. But the Xbox team threw a wrench in that with the way they released a budget and high end console at the same time.

One benefit of the need to support Xbox Series S is that it will require devs to offer lower fidelity modes in all games if they want to release games on multiple platforms.

That means that PS5 and Series X should always have enough overhead to target 60 FPS at the same fidelity. So what I'm saying is, I expect all multi platform games to at least offer a performance mode at 60fps minimum, using series S fidelity profiles as a minimum baseline to achieve this.

Xbox Series S sort of guarantees this is possible depending on how third parties will use the hardware.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Graphics sells. But I see more and more people realizing that 60FPS makes a big difference in games with lots of action.

VirtuaCider

May 15, 2020
If they intend to favor fidelity/resolution, they're making a mistake by creating easy comparisons in the early games :)

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Neither. They'll push for so much fidelity that 4K will be reconstructed and the most common framerate will once again be 30fps.

I don't mind about the 4K but I sure hope I'm wrong about the framerate.

Chewydawg

Jan 10, 2018
Normally I'd say that 30fps is going to be standard again. But the Xbox team threw a wrench in that with the way they released a budget and high end console at the same time.

One benefit of the need to support Xbox Series S is that it will require devs to offer lower fidelity modes in all games if they want to release games on multiple platforms.

That means that PS5 and Series X should always have enough overhead to target 60 FPS at the same fidelity. So what I'm saying is, I expect all multi platform games to at least offer a performance mode at 60fps minimum, using series S fidelity profiles as a minimum baseline to achieve this.

Xbox Series S sort of guarantees this is possible depending on how third parties will use the hardware.
Yeah, I ultimately expect this to be the case. good analytical look

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting neither 60 or 4k for the main graphics modes. 1080p 60 depending on how demanding the game is

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
4k/30 will be the norm in less than 2 years with the focus on 60fps in multiplayer portions of said game.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I want them to focus on 60fps or higher, but Sony sells 4K TVs so it's going to be 4K-30.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Whatever provides the experience closest to what the developers intend to create. For some that's 60fps while others are more than okay with a "cinematic" 30fps presentation. I'm feeling most will target 30fps as move on from the cross-gn period.

Targeting a lower framerate will afford developers greater headroom to fill out the world with insane levels of detail / gameplay systems - to more fully realize their vision.

If you want both, you're still going to need to shell out for a top end PC.