• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Public opinion is not the same as legal guilt. People get off for stupid reasons all the time, that isn't moral justification. I will say people can jump on a bandwagon too quickly though.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually totally okay with accusations being able to get people shunned and vilified, in the case of sexual assault and similar things, because society has proven it has no intention of actually bringing those things to justice. It's the only thing protecting any women. The amount of men that get off totally free from sexual assault far far far outnumbers the amount of men getting falsely accused.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Superb post Golden_Pigeon

Reason and balance will come, but right now we need to focus on tearing down rape culture.

That's not how it works.

You can't be irrational and destructive and then collectively pullback and suddenly become more balanced, rational and fair. People as a whole simply do not work that way.

And you can most certainly tear down rape culture without destroying innocent people.

Accusers can be afforded dignity and respect without publicly slaughtering the accused. If and when evidence (and that includes multiple allegations from different people) emerges, then we can effectively ostracize and shun those individuals who have engaged in this vulgar behavior.

Remember, any false allegation will be amplified by the Alt Right as "proof" that sexual harassment is an overblown issue and rape culture doesn't exist.

We have to be smart enough going forward not to give these people ammunition to use against us and those women who have braved the public tumult to share their stories.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works.

You can't be irrational and destructive and then collectively pullback and suddenly become more balanced, rational and fair. People as a whole simply do not work that way.

And you can most certainly tear down rape culture without destroying innocent people.

Accusers can be afforded dignity and respect without publicly slaughtering the accused. If and when evidence (and that includes multiple allegations from different people) emerges, then we can effectively ostracize and shun those individuals who have engaged in this vulgar behavior.

Remember, any false allegation will be amplified by the Alt Right as "proof" that sexual harassment is an overblown issue and rape culture doesn't exist.

We have to be smart enough going forward not to give these people ammunition to use against us and those women who have braved the public tumult to share their stories.
Except it's so minor of an actual problem in the face of the MUCH MUCH MUCH greater problem of rape culture that you putting so much focus on it and considering the actors of the "alt right" and what they think at all is what's not helping

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
First post was on point.

The court of law must be held to this standard. That said, it is an imperfect system, which frequently fails survivors and victims. This is due in large part to influences and corruption, and also in part to mis/disinformation (i.e. "she was wearing a SKIRT and drinking the ALCOHOL so she was basically ASKING for it amirite members of the jury?").

It's always going to be ugly, and it's always going to be murky, but I believe that the more we teach young men how to be actual (and I know the use of the word "actual" is WILDLY interpretive) men, the better our society will become.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Innocent until proven guilty is for the court of law. Not the court of public opinion.

Glad this was the first post.

Society can ostracize someone based on accusations but our legal framework should spare them only until they are rightfully convicted.

And I don't care if there's a 99.9% rate of truthful reporting to sexual assault. There should always be a trial and there must always be more evidence than accusations.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Glad this was the first post.

Society can ostracize someone based on accusations but our legal framework should spare them only until they are rightfully convicted.

And I don't care if there's a 99.9% rate of truthful reporting to sexual assault. There should always be a trial and there must always be more evidence than accusations.

They can, yeah.
I don't think they necessarily should.
Unless the person is already known, papers and news stations here dont share suspect names.
And I like it that way.
The whole name-and-shame thing is pretty screwed up coming from official news outlets.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
It reminds me a lot of To Kill a Mockingbird. It is very scary stuff because it can ruin ones life and/or career.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
24h ban: Do not post graphic images
Know your history brother

[Mod Edit: Graphic Image Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Innocent until proven guilty is for the court of law. Not the court of public opinion.
I agree with this. Laws must work differently and should never be based on emotions.

Public opinion always has been like the medieval mob and runs purely on emotion. There is a saying that "One Human is smart, a group of Humans are a bunch of dumb animals.". On top of that is that the general human is pretty stupid to begin with. This gets further boosted by reducing the teaching of critical thinking in societies like America. Critical thinking requires you to take out the emotion and make an objective decision along the lines of perfect but unreachable ideals of justice and morality.
But this works in both ways, positive and negative, if you get a positive public image then people will defend you until the last drop of blood. Just get yourself a positive image in the human "hive-mind" and you have got a good defense against allegations.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Not for the courts but definitely yes if it comes to public opinion and social media.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a black male living in the US, I fucking hope not.

This isn't entirely directed at you but your posts harbor the same sentiments I'm seeing in a lot of places.

People have got to stop making these sweeping generalizations. It's not cool when it comes to racial groups and it hasn't been cool when talking about women either so why do it with men. I don't use guilty until proven innocent in the court of public opinion because life is much more complicated than what witch hunts allow for. And life carries baggage that is often statistically validated in certain instances (rampant racism against black males like me).

I'm not concerned one bit that my past or current behavior will put me in these situations, I'm concerned about what modern life has presented black men time and time again. Some say that sexual assaults aren't being reported enough (I agree) but I'm also seeing instances where sexual assault allegations are disproportionately affecting people of color.I won't criticize you for your own personal guidance but I criticize the belief that it's not ok for others to want to take their time to parse each instance uniquely when it comes to allegations.

Also your pedophilia comparison is a bad comparison. Most pedophilia allegations are nothing like current topics of the day. They're much more straightforward and aren't tied to hundreds of years of institutional racism. News of individuals involved with pedophilia allegations are usually quickly accompanied by police statements talking about all of the proof of the crime they have. Even with situations where police aren't involved, Catholic priest allegations for example, one accusation is quickly followed by multiple accusers (which is all it takes to convince me to question the accused). Plus the Catholic church being a single entity with a history of hypocrisy and disingenuousness on the issue always plays a role as well. Unless we're talking only about the Hollywood situation, where its clear Hollywood itself has an issue, and most of the accused are facing multiple accusations, sexual assault remain the much more complicated issue.

I was not speaking about the judiciary system, but about the public eye.

As a male, i think i have the right to point out toxic behaviors inherent to our (socially-constructed) masculinity. Our masculinity and self-worth is tied to our capacity to seduce and "get" women. This present a immediate danger for women and need to be eradicated. I think that we are also victim to this, too often cutting ourselves emotionally with half of humanity. Furthermore, how many families were broken by this destructive masculinity ?

Pedophilia was not used as a comparison but to point out why (too) many males are using this "guilty until proven innocent" only about this case. We don't see the same amount of defense force when somebody is accused of pedophilia, by simple testimony, because pedophilia is an extreme form of deviant sexuality, and our capacity to perform sexual assault is an inherent part of our masculinity. We cannot shy away and cry "not all men" when the majority of women in the West will suffer a sexual assault once in their lifetime. It would be like saying "not all cops", or "not all whites", when those issues are so systematic, so paradigmatically engrained in our culture and society that the subject is not "some rotten apples" bad behavior but the whole basket that need to be rethinked.

All your point about race are valid though, but this is a different issue, the perception of the black man as a sexual threat for white society. I understand your concern but i think that there is a way to integrate both issues in the same critical stance. My point is not to just call for a tougher stance on crime and expect the state to resolve the issue (since we know who will pay and who will not), but more profound. The least we can do is to SHAME those behaviors.

Last edited:

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
As a black male living in the US, I fucking hope not.

This isn't entirely directed at you but your posts harbor the same sentiments I'm seeing in a lot of places.

People have got to stop making these sweeping generalizations. It's not cool when it comes to racial groups and it hasn't been cool when talking about women either so why do it with men. I don't use guilty until proven innocent in the court of public opinion because life is much more complicated than what witch hunts allow for. And life carries baggage that is often statistically validated in certain instances (rampant racism against black males like me).

I'm not concerned one bit that my past or current behavior will put me in these situations, I'm concerned about what modern life has presented black men time and time again. Some say that sexual assaults aren't being reported enough (I agree) but I'm also seeing instances where sexual assault allegations are disproportionately affecting people of color.I won't criticize you for your own personal guidance but I criticize the belief that it's not ok for others to want to take their time to parse each instance uniquely when it comes to allegations.

Also your pedophilia comparison is a bad comparison. Most pedophilia allegations are nothing like current topics of the day. They're much more straightforward and aren't tied to hundreds of years of institutional racism. News of individuals involved with pedophilia allegations are usually quickly accompanied by police statements talking about all of the proof of the crime they have. Even with situations where police aren't involved, Catholic priest allegations for example, one accusation is quickly followed by multiple accusers (which is all it takes to convince me to question the accused). Plus the Catholic church being a single entity with a history of hypocrisy and disingenuousness on the issue always plays a role as well. Unless we're talking only about the Hollywood situation, where its clear Hollywood itself has an issue, and most of the accused are facing multiple accusations, sexual assault remain the much more complicated issue.

At what cost? Do you know what price is being paid? Are you willing to tell other groups that it's worth it to have them suffer while you exploit, marginalize, or watch silently, but hopefully, from the sidelines?

This mentality has always been the main cause for my supposedly questionable stance. People telling minorities to be quiet while they use us as a stepping stone to increase their own standing. Only for us to be forgotten time and time again. Whether its another minority group, corporations, or some politician, it keeps happening. And I'm seeing elements of it now among SOME of those who are fighting to have sexual assault be taken seriously. I hate having to admit that I don't know how to address it (what hope did I even have, its been happening long before I was even born) but I know it makes me uncomfortable. But hopefully it's this feeling that will help make it clear why I, and maybe others, take issue with the witch hunt mentality. Not because I'm merely a man concerned about my own behavior getting me in trouble.

Thank you for making my argument more eloquently than I could.

That's not how it works.

Bolded for emphasis. We don't work like that. We have never worked like that. If there's one thing I've learned in the US, is that we're really good at ignoring a problem way too long and then overreacting like crazy to try to make up for it (see: Columbine and 9/11 as modern examples off the top of my head, could argue Somalia is also a modern one) and not considering the consequences of the reaction.

The part that worries me about this is that this still all at least appears like we want to be SEEN as doing good rather than actually doing good. I think that is at the heart of why, in social media, you see people who defend someone else's rights (even if they disagree with them) accused of being like-minded. I'm still not sure people actually care as much as they want to be seen as they actually care.

EDIT: Relevant to the topic - https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-question-of-race-in-campus-sexual-assault-cases/539361/

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Zelas, Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric; I had no idea about the racial aspect of this, so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Racism should also be reacted to with disgust - and that's all I'm talking about. I'm not saying people are ever justified in forming lynch mobs, be it for men accused of rape or for pedophilia.

I'm talking about a shift in the cultural standard that makes women less afraid, and makes men more aware of their behaviour, and more conscientious. Same idea as driving under the influence. Plenty of people still need to have "it is never acceptable to drink and drive" jammed down their throats. I'm strictly speaking about changing attitudes towards these behaviours so that they align with crimes we already consider hot-button acts of utterly unacceptable behaviour. I am not advocating witch hunts or mob justice; and certainly not trying to pretend that the justice system isn't rife with problems of its own.

VenusEFT

Oct 31, 2017
In rape cases, it's definitely guilty until proven innocent in terms of population/media opinion, which as we have seen is very bad. An innocent until proven guilty is a highly important value, especially for to implement into aw.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
In rape cases, it's definitely guilty until proven innocent in terms of population/media opinion, which as we have seen is very bad. An innocent until proven guilty is a highly important value, especially for to implement into aw.

The problem is that while this is true in the media, who get clicks based on outrage, it's much less prevalent amongst real people. It blows my mind how blasé people still are when it comes to reacting to real women they know who survive assault, and how resistant they are to condemning men.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
for aslong as humans have existed, society has never been "innocent until proven guilty"

i think we literally dont have it in us as a species

Eternalthree

Oct 29, 2017
for aslong as humans have existed, society has never been "innocent until proven guilty"

I agree with this wholly. also believe that in american culture now, it's not about being good or decent human beings, it's more about me me me. take what you can. if you do something wrong, dont get caught. if you get caught send out a fake apology. its not about "be decent. dont kill, hurt, rape, steal, etc". it's "dont get caught doing those things." plus the punishment for such things is laughable.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i should fucking hope so, law & the courts should not be anyone's morality - and giving women the benefit of the doubt is a huge step towards, you know, not having to start a whole other forum because some folks are trash, for example

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a very pessimistic view on society :/

That's like saying, "welp murder and crime have always been part of our species, nothing we can do about it".

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
As others have stated, "innocent until proven guilty" is for a court of law. That is because the State can do things like incarcerate you or even execute you, in addition to seizing your assets. In our private lives, the story is different. Should we unduly rush to tear down any individual based off of the accusation of one individual? Probably not. This sort of mob mentality is what led to things like lynchings or drumheads in the past. That said, the public nor any private individual/company, should have to "wait for all the facts" or for the results of a full blown trial before casting their own judgment. Individuals can make up their own opinions about a certain person based on whatever knowledge they possess at the time. If fifty women come out and state that Bill Cosby raped them, the general public need not wait for a trial before deciding that he is a morally bankrupt scumbag. We should always strive to insure we have enough "facts" before "convicting" someone of any wrongdoing. But, only a criminal trial stipulates that a person is "innocent until proven guilty," that they are provided with a full trial overseen by a jury of their peers, and that any conviction must be validated by sufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Outside of a court room we all can use our own set of standards to determine whether or not we believe an individual is guilty of any wrongdoing.
This probably says everything I'd have to say about it, and did a better job at it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like other PoCs have said earlier in the thread, I'm not into instantly believing the accuser in sexual harassment situations due to how dirty blacks have been done in the past over this thing. If the accused has past issues and controversy over sexual harassment I am generally inclined to believe the accuser, however.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I support due process for the accused and for the allegations of victims to be taken seriously. I don't think peoples lives should be ruined by mob mentality. That is not a society I want to live in.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
US courts already kind of abandoned it in practice. They burden people with so many charges, and set bail so high, that the person is essentially ruined regardless of guilt. I saw a documentary a while back that explored how these practices really hard black communities, I think it was titled The 13th.