• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man this sucks I missed the time frame where I could go to see a non dubbed version of Captain Marvel in my area, they only show it dubbed in German now here which would probably be beyond terrible and I really don't wanna spend money on that.

It does bother me though, so please tell me it's not THAT crucial for Endgame? Of course this won't be really clear until you see Endgame, but just from watching CM do you think it's gonna matter a lot?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You literally are not gonna know who Carol is without it, and i am pretty sure they arent gonna go that far into her backstory. Considering she's supposed to be one of the key players, its pertinent you watch. It isnt like the hulk where you can skip the incredible hulk 2008(cause its horrible, right up there with thor 2) and still know who he is for avengers.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
It's really not. You can get an idea for who she is just by knowing her power set and the rest of the MCU is equally blind about who she is so whatever she tells Cap and crew will likely be all you need to know about her.

Definitely catch it when it hits home release though. It's a pretty fun movie.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
You literally are not gonna know who Carol is without it. Considering she's supposed to be one of the key players, its pertinent you watch

Dang... Does anyone know if Captain Marvel will be streamable (downloadable) sometime soon. I have a baby at home so going to the theatre is really hard, but I'd make an exception for Avengers... But for Captain Marvel it's a harder sell to the spouse.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Not really. It's a good movie though and nice to know the character before she joins the Avengers.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It's really not. You can get an idea for who she is just by knowing her power set and the rest of the MCU is equally blind about who she is so whatever she tells Cap and crew will likely be all you need to know about her.

+1. As interconnected as they are, Marvel sagas are supposed to be standalone. You should be able to only watch Avengers 1-4 and understand everything, when new characters or power sets are introduced in other movies, they're usually briefly explained as well. TheDanger, Captain Marvel is a pretty fun film, but I totally get you, in Spain it's the same bullshit. You get like 1-2 weeks of limited subbed screenings and then the rest is completely dubbed, and it's usually abysmal. If I were you, I would just watch it whenever it comes out on digital.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have said so. They're probably going to have an exposition dump to explain who she is for the Avengers, who she's meeting for the first time, which coincidentally helps out all the people who didn't see the films between Infinity War and this.

Even if they don't, I doubt you'll miss much. Just know she can fly and has energy projection powers, and she's been out having adventures in the galaxy since the 90s. There you go.

Still worth seeing, though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
There are far too many characters and storylines in endgane that she won't get more than a few moments that are unlikely going to require much backstory. Especially since no one knows her and she'll have to exposition anyway.

It's worth a watch though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get the chance to see it either, but I'll just read a synopsis and watch it once it hits streaming services. I'm sure it'll be fine since it's a new character, like with Black Panther in Infinity War. Not having watched Ragnarok and seeing Thor totally changed in IW would've been more confusing, or Cap suddenly not hanging with the rest of the gang after Civil War.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
They filmed her scenes in Endgame before Captain Marvel, so I am going to say no it is not important. They will recap everything you need to know.

Liamario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. You'll probably get a brief explanation as to who she is in Endgame. There's certainly nothing in her movie that's particularly relevant to the set up for endgame.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think so. If anything, Endgame will make ppl want to check out CM. Her plot point in CM isn't related at all to Endgame and sets up an adventure taking place in the past.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Nope. I felt like I didn't learn much from watching the film.

If you're not bothered, just read up a general synopsis and you'll be fine.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Yes if you want to have any idea of who she is as a character. No story wise as her movie won't link too much to Endgame.

Sep 12, 2018
Dang... Does anyone know if Captain Marvel will be streamable (downloadable) sometime soon. I have a baby at home so going to the theatre is really hard, but I'd make an exception for Avengers... But for Captain Marvel it's a harder sell to the spouse.
How about killing two birds with one stone and double-billing Captain Marvel/Endgame. I do that often if there's two movies out I really want to see.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Just watch all of the films if you can. If you can. Captain Marvel I'd say is particularly important for context and background.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
While I think if you are into Marvel characters it's very important, you probably will understand enough about her that you can still watch Endgame.

That said, exactly this situation is one of my complaints about Marvel movies: I want to watch them all in release order, but god forbid I miss a cinema release in these tight packed schedules. In some cases, there is no way to watch the last movie before the next one releases. Either spread your shit out or release your Blu Rays or streams sooner.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
No. Like most stand alone Marvel movies it doesn't ad much to the overall storyline. Especially not because it's a prequel.

You know Fury paged her in IW. That's probably all you need to be able to follow the story.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
IMHO... you can just read a synopsis of the film.

The film is fine as is, but there aren't really that many twists and turns that you couldn't guess from the trailers alone.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It should be available on digital media in the end of May, first week of June.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is like asking if you need to play Ice Climbers, and the other character games in Smash Brothers before playing Smash Brothers. Just watch the movie you want, if you find a character interesting you can read up on them, or watch the movie if they have one.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Yes. Incredibly so.

CM is going to be a big player in Endgame, I can't imagine going in having not seen her solo outing.

This is like asking if you need to play Ice Climbers, and the other character games in Smash Brothers before playing Smash Brothers. Just watch the movie you want, if you find a character interesting you can read up on them, or watch the movie if they have one.

This is an astoundingly bad analogy that doesn't work in the slightest.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017

Try looking for a screening for babies, there's a name for it but I can't remember. They usually have more light on during the movie, I think sound is lower, and no one cares if your kid is loud. They're usually early in the morning on a weekday so not the best timing but if you can swing it great for new parents. Doubt we'll see it streaming before next week though.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
If you are even faintly familiar with the character, then all you need to know is that
Carol/Captain Marvel became friends with Fury when she accidentally crashed to Earth in the 90s. She realized that the Kree were assholes and turned against them to save Skrull and left to make things right at the end of the movie. Before leaving she gave Fury the Pager he used at the end of IW.

The movie itself is pretty mediocre except for a couple of minutes of cool CGI and a couple of badass Carol moments.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah not really. If you don't know who CM is, read some stuff on wikipedia about her and you'll be fine.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
If you are even faintly familiar with the character, then all you need to know is that
Carol/Captain Marvel became friends with Fury when she accidentally crashed to Earth in the 90s. She realized that the Kree were assholes and turned against them to save Skrull and left to make things right at the end of the movie. Before leaving she gave Fury the Pager he used at the end of IW.

The movie itself is pretty mediocre except for a couple of minutes of cool CGI and a couple of badass Carol moments.

Good synopsis but you might've missed one relevant thing.

Her powers are the result of exposure to the space stone. Also she might be the most powerful Avenger on the current roster.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I don't think knowing much about Carol is of any importance to enjoying Endgame.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017

Her powers are the result of exposure to the space stone. Also she might be the most powerful Avenger on the current roster.
The first one, is a big miss from me. The second one would be obvious if anyone is even slightly familiar with the character which I already mentioned in my original post.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No.

She flies. She has kamehamehas. She's cool. She protects other planets. Her powers come from having been exposed to a blast of the
space stone
and having been transfused with Kree blood to help control it and not die because of her human metabolism.

Done. You literally missed nothing now that will be relevant to Avengers.

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
No.

She flies. She has kamehamehas. She's cool. She protects other planets. Her powers come from having been exposed to a blast of the space stone and having been transfused with Kree blood to help control it and not die because of her human metabolism.

Done. You literally missed nothing now that will be relevant to Avengers.

How about a spoiler tag there for a movie op obviously hasn't seen?

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
You can just read a short summary that explains who Carol is, I guess. It's not a very good movie either way, so you're not missing much.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

And another

She was a test pilot for the Air Force in the late 80s. She disappeared in 89 after a crash and was exposed to the tesseract-core. The Kree took her to turn into a weapon.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That depends on whether or not you want to know Captain Marvel's origin story. I wouldn't say the story itself is that important in the grand scheme of things, but it's awesome to see how overpowered she feels and it makes Endgame even more hype.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think watching both Ant-Man & Wasp and Captain Marvel are good prologues to Endgame.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

This. It's a fun watch, but I can't imagine it would significantly change enjoyment of Avengers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that crucial, you just need to know that Captain Marvel is absurdly strong. Given how Infinity War was, I doubt the intricacies of her origin story will come up too much except maybe the source of her power, but if it does they'll explain it in the movie briefly.

You should watch it when you can though, it's fantastic.