• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo Buy Platinum Games?

• Yes

Votes: 713 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,697 70.4%

• Total voters

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
If they went Nintendo it would absolutely kill the PC ports, which have been a god send for Platinum titles, so No, it'd be a bad thing.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
No thanks. We've gotten Metal Gear Revengence, NieR Automata, Babylon's Fall, and the used to be Granblue Fantasy ReLink, and much much more. Then of course, almost, Scalebound. I don't want Nintendo's weak and underpowered hardware limiting their vision or any 3rd Party developer's vision, so I wouldn't ever want that to happen. It's better they stick to collaborations between different companies and a mix of their own published games.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I want everyone to be able to play Platinum's games, so I'm inclined to say no.

That said, if Platinum is in financial trouble then I would want Nintendo to step in over Sony and Microsoft.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Why would anyone want that? Like I can't think of a single one reason why that would be a good thing.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Why would anyone want that? Like I can't think of a single one reason why that would be a good thing.

There are actually quite a lot of reasons to want it, even if you were under the context-less maxim of "third parties shouldn't be tied down to a particular platform."

Being under Nintendo's umbrella would provide stability, steady work, and an infinitesimally small chance of being closed for underperforming. I can't even think of a studio Nintendo owns that they outright closed. The closest one that comes to mind is when they re-purposed Brownie Brown into 1-up Studio. Nintendo occasionally allows their subsidiaries to do what they want, or at least how they want, like Monolith and Xenoblade, or Retro and Metroid Prime. The thing that led to Scalebound being cancelled was Microsoft's mid-development meddling to get the studio to follow trends in online multiplayer. And there's also the benefit of surviving this rocky industry. Platinum already struggled once after Sega refused to publish Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo came to the rescue. As former Platinum producer JP Kellams once put it, there are a few people who would rather Bayonetta 2 not exist at all than exist on a platform they don't like. Some would damn Platinum to smash against the rocky shores of a tough and unsure industry than find safe harbor in an unwanted port.

I'm not sure Nintendo would go for it, though. It depends on their valuation of Platinum as a whole and what they can bring to their business, especially in the longterm.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
There are actually quite a lot of reasons to want it, even if you were under the context-less maxim of "third parties shouldn't be tied down to a particular platform."

Being under Nintendo's umbrella would provide stability, steady work, and an infinitesimally small chance of being closed for underperforming. I can't even think of a studio Nintendo owns that they outright closed. The closest one that comes to mind is when they re-purposed Brownie Brown into 1-up Studio. Nintendo occasionally allows their subsidiaries to do what they want, or at least how they want, like Monolith and Xenoblade, or Retro and Metroid Prime. The thing that led to Scalebound being cancelled was Microsoft's mid-development meddling to get the studio to follow trends in online multiplayer. And there's also the benefit of surviving this rocky industry. Platinum already struggled once after Sega refused to publish Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo came to the rescue. As former Platinum producer JP Kellams once put it, there are a few people who would rather Bayonetta 2 not exist at all than exist on a platform they don't like. Some would damn Platinum to smash against the rocky shores of a tough and unsure industry than find safe harbor in an unwanted port.

I'm not sure Nintendo would go for it, though. It depends on their valuation of Platinum as a whole and what they can bring to their business, especially in the longterm.

Agreed. Plus with Liam Robertson's mentioning of a canned project due to them being short on staff, and apparently more are planning on leaving (maybe from said project?), Nintendo can provide safe security and assistance in anyway needed.

I'm pretty confident Platinum would become Monolith Soft 2.0 in them being given the same freedom, and also to encourage expansion to double as a support group, maybe even with a second studio ala Monolith Soft Kyoto.

I have a good feeling Yusuke Hashimoto might indeed end up at Nintendo, most likely internally at EPD, but him taking charge of his own new studio at Nintendo would be a huge deal. Remember he mostly worked with Nintendo to my knowledge over the last 5 years, directing both Bayonetta 2 and Star Fox Zero from Platinum's side.

I'm baffled at any mentions of them being treated like Retro Studios. Retro is infamous for being a revolving door of people. They'd be lucky to have even a dozen people left from the Prime days it seems.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
You say this like Nintendo has been on a company-buying spree at any point in the past 20 years. Their last major acquisition was a video compression software company in France eight years ago and the last video game developer they acquired was MonolithSoft in 2007. Just because a Platinum/Nintendo merger seems to make a lot of sense due to their frequent collaboration doesn't mean this is some sort of existential threat to the industry.

haha it just figure of speech..i dont mean that much...because there been trend that people want certain company to buy anything that good

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Platinum likes their freedom to work in whatever platform they can it only would work in extreme circumstances (like if they have no other choice) but they rather keep their relationship as it is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. Nintendo already has a good enough relationship with Platinum as it is. All buying them would do is lock them to one platform forever. What good would that do?