• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo Buy Platinum Games?

• Yes

Votes: 713 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,697 70.4%

• Total voters

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
We still don't know who's the director behind Bayonetta 3, a title announced more than one year ago. Why would you buy a company like that ? Just because Kamiya directed a decent game ten years ago ? Yeah no.
The Wonderful 101 isn't 10 years old so you're wrong. :-P
(and I can't think of a single bad Kamiya game)

Besides that, I guess Nintendo greenlighting Bayonetta3 says more than your arguments, it's clear to me they believe it makes sense to spend money on that. Unless you think they're totally crazy and like wasting money, that is.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is zero reason for Platinum to be bought by Nintendo and there is zero reason for Nintendo to buy Platinum.

Perfect answer.

As of right now, no one would benefit from an acquisition.

Platinumgames would lose their creative independence and Nintendo would have an entirely new studio to keep their eyes on and to provide with paychecks.

No need for that

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Only if Platinum wants to be bought, which I don't think they do.

Nintendo should buy the Bayonetta IP though.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
No. Being bought by Nintendo would mean there'd be no more incredible games like NieR: Automata coming out from collaborations.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It would be better for Platinum if Nintendo bought them but why would Nintendo buy them when they haven't released a single hit for Nintendo? Seems like bad business. At least now after more duds Nintendo can decide to stop working with them without investing more money.

Oct 29, 2017
No of course they shouldn't. The staff would just up and leave.

The whole reason why Platinum was founded in the first place was because they wanted their independence from Capcom. If Nintendo bought then, the staff would then just leave to found another company.

Nintendo have a good working relationship with them as it is. There's no need for them to buy the studio, they already have a long-term partnership in place with them.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. What is with the obsession lately with first parties buying studios? Not everyone is as desperate as MS and needs to take away valuable devs from other platforms.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Id rather them buy something like the Bayonetta IP. Never getting a Platinum game on more powerful hardware would be a huge shame.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Why should Nintendo do games for PC or other hardware? Is Sony making PC games? MS does but only because they have Windows 10. I guess you won't find many "no Nintendo games on PC!!!!!" screamers because no one assumes Nintendo games on PC.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if...initiative-for-sony-and-nintendo-games.94164/

30% of ppl voted yes because Platinum being first party would help Nintendo quite a lot to expand their portfolio, and the partnership between the two companies brought amazing games so far like The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain looks extremely promising.

This doesn't make any sense, Platinum has already done plenty of games for Nintendo and is making others right now... you are just saying that any other game that could be licensed by other producers, like Square Enix with Nier, shouldn't exist.
F that, that's just a fanboy/selfish wish.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if...initiative-for-sony-and-nintendo-games.94164/

This doesn't make any sense, Platinum has already done plenty of games for Nintendo and is making others right now... you are just saying that any other game that could be licensed by other producers, like Square Enix with Nier, shouldn't exist.
i think its really a question of preference. many people were excited that ms bought studios like obsidian or ninja theory. mainly because they thought funding should be secured for their future projects. kamiya also once said that nier automata saved the company so platinum may be operating on the edge for all we know.

i think nintendo has a good track record of integrating 3rd parties into their fold like with monolith, so i think for them it would be a good choice. if its a good thing for gamers will really depend on the platforms you own.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, the entire premise itself presupposes a series of hypotheticals that makes both options "selfish" if people vote based on their personal preference.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I mean, the entire premise itself presupposes a series of hypotheticals that makes both options "selfish" if people vote based on their personal preference.
lol, how it's selfish asking to not have a monopolized situation?

Platinum is already doing games for Nintendo, damn, it makes more games for Nintendo that any other publisher but hey, it's selfish to ask to have their games to other platforms too!!!
REALLY selfish to ask Platinum to continue make games on Nintendo, MS, Sony consoles and PC instead of making games only on Nintendo consoles.

"Both sides"...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol, how it's selfish asking to not have a monopolized situation?

Platinum is already doing games for Nintendo, damn, it makes more games for Nintendo that any other publisher but hey, it's selfish to ask to have their games to other platforms too!!!
REALLY selfish to ask Platinum to continue make games on Nintendo, MS, Sony consoles and PC instead of making games only on Nintendo consoles.

"Both sides"...

My point is that the notion of Nintendo just "buying" PlatinumGames is extremely hypothetical and simplified in the first place. PG is a private company that was founded with the express purpose of being independent and having creative freedom. The scenario outlined in the OP would only take place if both Nintendo and PlatinumGames wanted it in which case: Who are we to say what they should or shouldn't do? Another poster brought it up earlier but these threads always have a lot of people react emotionally to very rational topics and questions. The same happened when Microsoft bought Ninja Theory and Obsidian when those companies clearly wanted to be bought and enjoy the safety of being part of the Xbox family. Less people getting to play these games is obviously not great but it's far outweighed by developers actually getting to keep their jobs and studios staying open.

For the record, I voted no in this poll because I think the current relationship is the most beneficial to both parties. But if, in the future, a purchase of PlatinumGames could be more beneficial then it's kind of a no-brainer. Something like that happened with Monolith Soft and it could happen again.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

A Platinum owned by Nintendo would make all these games for their console, the benefits to Nintendo and their consumers are undeniable. Nier would have existed anyway in some other brand.

But I'm not saying they will do it, if you read one of my previous posts here i said Nintendo doesn't like to acquire studios. Game Freak is still independent after all these years.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
They tried to buy Namco, bigger than either company.

Yeah, and they failed. This was back in the Yamauchi era, mind you. They attempted a hostile takeover, and I'm sure they were plenty criticized for it by Namco.

The fact that you equate Koei Tecmo, Level 5, etc.(publishing companies) with the likes of Mistwalker (development studio) as if they were the same size shows that you don't have any idea about how big those companies are. It's rather arrogant fanboyism.

"But hey Nintendo is bigger than them, so it should be easy to purchase...". Yeah, might as well have Apple or Disney buy Nintendo then.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
At this point? Sure, they got tons of games in the pipeline for Nintendo consoles and they seem to have a DNA mix that goes about right with Nintendo more than Sony & Microsoft.

I say Nintendo should get Platinum and Sony gets 4A Games.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I do think that an acquisition could be beneficial for pg. Nintendo probably wouldn't overstep management duties and give them enough room to be creative. I could imagine them just limiting the amount of games they have in the pipeline at the same time.

I don't think PG and sony would be a good fit... Sony has carved a path and space in the AAA realm and PG is more a AA developer at best.

Any other Japanese publisher would probably be too demanding and overbearing with management duties. I would have to imagine that management at PG would leave in that situation.

But i do not think that PG shouldn't be bought for quite some time. I just think that if there comes a time that Nintendo would probably be a frontrunner.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, and they failed. This was back in the Yamauchi era, mind you. They attempted a hostile takeover, and I'm sure they were plenty criticized for it by Namco.

The fact that you equate Koei Tecmo, Level 5, etc.(publishing companies) with the likes of Mistwalker (development studio) as if they were the same size shows that you don't have any idea about how big those companies are. It's rather arrogant fanboyism.

"But hey Nintendo is bigger than them, so it should be easy to purchase...". Yeah, might as well have Apple or Disney buy Nintendo then.

Not sure size has anything to do with Nintendo not being able to buy them. They have like 20 times the market cap as KT and could easily afford them using their cash reserves only, let alone treasury shares. Level-5 has only like 300 employees, a tiny international branch and is private so we don't even know what their financials are. The biggest hurdle here is their status as private company and Hino himself, not really their size.

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really hope so, but i also fear that without creative freedom they'll implode, sooner or later...

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. What is with the obsession lately with first parties buying studios? Not everyone is as desperate as MS and needs to take away valuable devs from other platforms.

So why did Sony take away resources from Insomniac and FromSoftware to make an exclusive game, was it too out of desperation? It's laughable how you guys think these deals are made and more importantly, WHY they're made.

I think it's pretty obvious since it's to do with Sony. It's very simple, people will not be upset if it comes to their preferred system.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a serious question? Are we port begging studios now? Holy shit.

It's interesting that you changed your opinion on this.

On topic, internal expansion and acquisitions. If there is that one studio out there that needs help that Sony can provide, why wouldn't it be on their best interest to talk to them outside of fanboy list wars? Not all acquisitions are non-consumer.

May I ask you what prompted this change of heart?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Um, why? They're already making lots of exclusives for Nintendo. If Nintendo is to acquire someone, it should be a company that seldom makes any games for them. And the studios they have would be good use for Nintendo. Platinum only makes games in one genre: Slasher.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If Platinum is really in trouble and in danger of shutting down, then the more logical option for Nintendo would be to hire some Platinum employees and purchase an IP or two at auction. There's nothing to gain buying a sinking ship.

Of course the best option for both studios is for Platinum to regain their footing and continue to work with a variety of publishers, including Nintendo.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I see that Nintendo needs more studios as almost their 2018 lineup was done by independent studios, but they first should maybe acquire these studios, build some on their own or expand heavily their current ones.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why did Sony take away resources from Insomniac and FromSoftware to make an exclusive game, was it too out of desperation? It's laughable how you guys think these deals are made and more importantly, WHY they're made.

I think it's pretty obvious since it's to do with Sony. It's very simple, people will not be upset if it comes to their preferred system.

Hiring a developer to make a game and FUNDING development of a game are totally different than buying out a studio. It's the same thing Nintendo did with platinum and Bayonetta 2/3, and it's fine when that's the case. If Nintendo had bought out Platinum at that time we wouldn't have Nier Automata in it's current (fantastic) state, period. Edit: More to the point Insomniac made Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox one before spider-man, and Fromsoft released Dark Souls 3 on all platforms after Bloodborne.

What an idiotic false equivlance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm sorry, what impact did ICO make for PS2? Are you implying PS2 would be any bit less successful without ICO?

No i'm saying it's one of those games that you look back and it was soo iconic and there was nothing like that on PS2, it goes beyond to how many consoles that game moved. These kind of games bring more value, and appeal hardcore audiences.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the track record that Platinum has had with Nintendo, it would be a shame that Platinum would never again be involved with a game that has a well regarded story that takes risks. Since I like well rounded games and not companies, haaaaaaaard pass from me.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I see that Nintendo needs more studios as almost their 2018 lineup was done by independent studios, but they first should maybe acquire these studios, build some on their own or expand heavily their current ones.
I'm assuming you mean studios like HAL (Kirby) and Camelot (Mario Tennis) here. Both of those studios develop almost exclusively for Nintendo systems anyway. So do IntSys, GameFreak, Grezzo, and Next Level. Not really any point in acquiring any of these studios.

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Nintendo should be more focused on building western teams like Retro because the japanese catalogue its obviously covered.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hiring a developer to make a game and FUNDING development of a game are totally different than buying out a studio. It's the same thing Nintendo did with platinum and Bayonetta 2/3, and it's fine when that's the case. If Nintendo had bought out Platinum at that time we wouldn't have Nier Automata in it's current (fantastic) state, period.

What an idiotic false equivlance.

It's ultimately a pointless distinction in the case of a private company. PlatinumGames can choose what they wanna work on and they can choose if they want to be bought out. It's up to the consumer to decide whether they want to follow them or not. There are larger concerns about monopolization and consolidation in the entertainment industry, especially with Disney, Apple and Google making major power moves. But they hardly apply to a company the size of Nintendo who made their last large acquisition over a decade ago. The notion that companies are taking games or studios away is childish at best.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm fine with them staying independent, but if it came down to Platinum going under or being bought by someone I'd rather they be bought by Nintendo.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
I love Platinum Games, and these are probably my favorites:

Bayonetta 2009
Vanquish 2010
MG Rising 2013
Bayonetta 2 2013 (Nintendo)
Wonderful 101 2013 (Nintendo)
Nier Automata 2017

The licensed games I've been dissapointed with each time, the other ones I think are just ok games they probably made to keep the lights on. IMO their very best games were not the Nintendo ones and were collaborations, I'm very interested to see how Bayo 3 and this year's game turn out but they're no Nier Automata.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
I think in general the studio shines where they are doing gameplay and another team is doing the worldbuilding, story, music etc. for them. Nier and MG Rising are probably the best examples of that.