• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo Buy Platinum Games?

• Yes

Votes: 713 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,697 70.4%

• Total voters

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Do you actually believe the talent will remain after the studio is bought?
In fact the talent is leaving right now... I don't think that talent alone is what makes Platinum develop faster than most other companies, they have good/efficient workflows for sure, and their projects are never ambitious or crazy (maybe that was the problem with Scalebound, who knows). About Retro, no one knows for sure what happened during these years, dont use them as an example because there is no evidence that what happened was Nintendo's fault or bleeding talent.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Here's the thing, Nintendo generally doesn't like to acquire studios (they used to do it with Yamauchi's Q Fund program), but they prefer to build close relationships and i assume that's a very japanese thing where technically Nintendo lets these studios independent as long as they continue to work mainly with Nintendo.

Right now Nintendo relationship with Platinum is very similar to Nintendo and Monolith Soft when those were still under Bamco. If Platinum gets in trouble like Monolith Soft was, then i can see Nintendo acquiring them, otherwise they'll keep things as they are now.

As someone who's never played a PG game before (that'll change soon with Astral Chain), I'm gonna day no. I feel like PG's output would be similar to Retro Studios. Despite being owned by Nintendo, the studio seemingly struggles to consistently produce games in a timely manner.

Not at all, if you read Retro Studios history, they struggled from the very beginning, even before Metroid Prime came out and it has always been a studio that takes many years to release a game because of that. Plus there is also the fact that they aren't japanese so we don't really know how much Nintendo stays in touch with them.

Platinum works at soo many projects at once, they released many games in the recent years, they have their own style and Nintendo is happy with what they produced so far.

No. Let successful studios with cool IP stay independent. You only get more Scalebounds if Nintendo buys Platinum.

Nintendo would have never cancelled Scalebound.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
If i was Nintendo and had the opportunity i would take it, but the opportunity is not on the table nor it will be anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think "yes". But seeing how Capcom has made such a huge leap in the last few years, I would love to see a PG game on the technical level of a DMCV or MHW and that is not possible on the Switch. So "no" from me.

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum's most successful titles came from their non-Nintendo collaborations like Metal Gear Rising and Nier Automata.

As much as I love Platinum and will get it day 1, Astral Chain has flop written all over it. Under Nintendo's supervision, Bayonetta 2 combat got butchered to a shell of its former self. One of the worst Platinum game ever, Star Fox Zero was made under Nintendo's supervision.

They may have a great working relationship but they couldn't produce a hit under the Nintendo banner if their studio depended on it.
PG's best game is under Nintendo's supervision.
And it's pretty ridiculous to say Bayonetta 2 was butchered, most would agree it's better than the first

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would say that PG does mainly contractor jobs, but at least they get to choose what to make.

I doubt that they were very happy with the games they did for Activision (except for Transformers, maybe) so them entering an apparently close relationship with Square-Enix is definitely great. PG juggling Nintendo and SE games would definitely be for the best.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should as it is good for Platinum to stay independent and flexible, but I could see it making sense for Nintendo if they did.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On one end the lack of PC ports would be a bummer, on the other end I think it would be a wise decision for Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that they were very happy with the games they did for Activision (except for Transformers, maybe) so them entering an apparently close relationship with Square-Enix is definitely great. PG juggling Nintendo and SE games would definitely be for the best.
Well, compromises will have to be made I guess. My point is that I would hate to see them chained to a parent company.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
No but I'd be fine with them
making a non-exclusionary minority stake investment to keep Platinum around for a long time.

I want Platinum making games for a lot of companies and platforms for a long time. Nintendo can help them even without investing by committing to two or three projects on the regular.

Oct 27, 2017
And it's pretty ridiculous to say Bayonetta 2 was butchered, most would agree it's better than the first
Nooope. Pacing (shorter mini-games, less QTEs), presentation and graphics...yes, Bayonetta 2 is superior. But in the department that truely matters, namely combat, Bayonetta 1 is better than Bayonetta 2. Most people who know their shit will agree to that.
Compared to the fundamentals layed out by B1, B2 was on the verge of being broken (overpowered umbran climax move, to much dependence on WT).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
We literally have no idea what they're doing with the next Nier.

A job position request from two years ago says nothing

My point was that Square doesn't seems to be repeating the formula for Nier's success when the other poster mocked how 'genius' Square would be to make the next Nier a console exclusive if Nintendo bought Platinum. Especially when other games in the Nier series were also multiplate but didn't sell +3 million.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
My point was that Square doesn't seems to be repeating the formula for Nier's success when the other poster mocked how 'genius' Square would be to make the next Nier a console exclusive if Nintendo bought Platinum. Especially when other games in the Nier series were also multiplate but didn't sell +3 million.
We literally know nothing of Nier 3's development to even guess at what they're doing.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
They probably shouldnt, unless PT goes and makes some more Scalebound level deals/fails with MS.
If PT is in financial trouble Nintendo should definitively give them a hand(full of money), to ensure the continued partnership.
Maybe buy part of PT, kinda in a Tencent way, just providing funding ?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I guess that the 30% of ppl voted yes is the same fanboys of .

Why should Nintendo do games for PC or other hardware? Is Sony making PC games? MS does but only because they have Windows 10. I guess you won't find many "no Nintendo games on PC!!!!!" screamers because no one assumes Nintendo games on PC.

Actually Nintendo should throw cash at Yusuke Hashimoto to start a new studio.
This too.

I see some serious ranting about how evil it would be if Nintendo aquired a new studio even in theory. Is this the same with Microsoft and Sony that actually did buy more new 3rd party studios in the last years? Are people upset about that in the same way?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
What we know so far is that Platinum isn't part of it, which was the point of my original post. Not what Square may do with Nier without Platinum.
Except we don't we know anything outskde of one job listing.

That tells us nothing.

Maybe Nier 3 is entirely in house, maybe it's mostly platinum, maybe it's half and half. There is literally no way to tell.

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it so odd that Nintendo has seen the successes of MGR and NieR and instead gave PG two brand new original IPs and two Bayonetta sequels (which was an original PG IP)

They gave Atlus Fire Emblem, Koei Tecmo got Pokémon-Fire Emblem-Zelda, etc.
Feel like if FE Warriors could hit a million and HW probably hit like 3M, PG could probably have a pretty big hit with something.

But it's nice that they've given them time to flex their creative muscles.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Nooope. Pacing (shorter mini-games, less QTEs), presentation and graphics...yes, Bayonetta 2 is superior. But in the department that truely matters, namely combat, Bayonetta 1 is better than Bayonetta 2. Most people who know their shit will agree to that.
Compared to the fundamentals layed out by B1, B2 was on the verge of being broken (overpowered umbran climax move, to much dependence on WT).

Play the two games side-by-side today, Bayo 2 is better, and it's not much because it's a more recent release but due to Bayo 1 that aged poorly on certain aspects. (presentation among all)

Oh well, I guess that the 30% of ppl voted yes is the same fanboys of "no Nintendo games on PC!!!!!".

30% of ppl voted yes because Platinum being first party would help Nintendo quite a lot to expand their portfolio, and the partnership between the two companies brought amazing games so far like The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain looks extremely promising.

I don't understand why Nintendo has to make PC games now lol

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I'm convinced that the 30% of voters have no idea what they're getting themselves into.

Which would be?

I'd argue the opposite and that the amount of people favoring Bayo 2 over 1 isn't as clear cut as it was during it's initial release.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The only positive I could see from that is them not having to take on a bunch of smaller projects to stay afloat and stuff. They could just have an actual good budget for all their games and make premium products all the time, because when they don't have the money and time, we get stuff like Transformers or Korra. But any publisher could do that for them (obviously with my Nintendo bias I think they would be best for them IF they had to be picked up by a publisher)

Oct 25, 2017
Which would be?

I'd argue the opposite and that the amount of people favoring Bayo 2 over 1 isn't as clear cut as it was during it's initial release.
Probably due to Bayo 1 being a lot older/played more (was bundled with 1, ported to 5 platforms)

2 had a better critical reception.

But even if some prefer one over the other, the point is that the sequel is still great and woudlnt have happened otherwise

also, the game is The Wonderful 101

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
From Nintendo's point of view yeah, they have a great track record working together, make the types of games Nintendo's systems are lacking and are good at what they do.

Personally? Nah. Not a fan of console manufacturers buying up third party developers unless it's a case of them being bought or going out of business.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
For Nintendo: Yes, good move.
For Platinum: It seems like they can broker enough deals as it is, so not necessarily the best option.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
No, there's no need at all from Nintendo's end as they can just partner with them on games like Astral Chain and Star Fox. Besides, Platinum have made it very clear they want to stay independent.

I don't know what it is with fanboys clamouring for well-off independent developers being devoured by these big companies but it's fucking dumb, especially as PlatinumGames are clearly fine with collaborating with publishers on certain projects. Shit's almost as bad as people wanting Sony to buy Insomniac...
I remember when Microsoft announced a bunch of studio purchases at E3 and got tons of applause... Um, yay corporate capitalism I guess?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Maybe someone's already mentioned it, but I vaguely recall someone at Nintendo saying that there's often no point in buying out studios, as that simply prompts a lot of key figures there to leave.

Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely 100% yes!! We deserve new studios as part of Nintendo, and we've seemingly lost Monster Games (at least temporarily.) Microsoft seems to be gobbling up studios , its only fair that Nintendo gets some new ones as its been so so long since we've gotten any new ones. And I've felt this is a perfect match since Mad Wolrd came out on Wii. I love Platinum and the thought of them as completely first party makes me so so happy.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that IS was a Nintendo internal studio tbh, IIRC they never worked in anything non-Nintendo related.
IS ars straight up nintendo employees at another studio, they even work in the same building as epd. Their company is probably complicated and Nintendo probably owns something of them like starting up the studio or somerhing but they most likely aren't even allowed to develop for anything else except mobile

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'm worried what would happen if another Scalebound situation happens - they make a collab with a big publisher, spend a lot of money and resources on it, then it gets cancelled and a lot of damage is done to the company.

For now it seems like Platinum Games is safe, but another Scalebound could be a huge problem.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
No....

HOWEVER

EbliEAd.jpg

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Also, I like how we just assume Nintendo would be first in line to get Platinum.

Platinum would most likely prioritize another third-party company. Many people here are acting like Platinum and Nintendo are best bros or something, when Platinum has good relationships with everyone but Microsoft.