• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo Buy Platinum Games?

• Yes

Votes: 713 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,697 70.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Also, I like how we just assume Nintendo would be first in line to get Platinum.

Platinum would most likely prioritize another third-party company. Many people here are acting like Platinum and Nintendo are best bros or something, when Platinum has good relationships with everyone but Microsoft.
Nintendo is more willing to invest in Platinum's more experimental projects.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
Like if it was a situation were platinum games would be wiped off the face of the earth if they weren't purchased by Nintendo yes

Otherwise no

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
No. I want NieR to continue being with Platinum Games and to have as many people as possible experience those games, and that doesn't happen with exclusivity on one console. I was so glad Automata came to PC and Xbox One, and am actually hoping for a Switch port down the line (maybe 2020?)

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
You are now thinking about an f-zero by platinum
Primarily a racing game but you can hop out of your car and brawl, bounty Hunter style

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely 100% yes!! We deserve new studios as part of Nintendo, and we've seemingly lost Monster Games (at least temporarily.) Microsoft seems to be gobbling up studios , its only fair that Nintendo gets some new ones as its been so so long since we've gotten any new ones. And I've felt this is a perfect match since Mad Wolrd came out on Wii. I love Platinum and the thought of them as completely first party makes me so so happy.

Please be satire.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. But if they get into financial trouble and the only way to survive is by getting picked up by one of the big 3, Nintendo is far and away the best option.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go with no. We need more competition to stimulate creativity. A large independent and successful number of developers is a good thing. If big name publishers are willing to partner with them on projects, as long as the terms are fair, then that's a good thing too.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. If Platinum became a Nintendo Second party, we wouldn't have had absolute gems like Revengeance and Automata.
However, I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo throw them the Starfox license again, or even better, Metroid, if they wanna try their hand at Other M's core mechanics again.

(Controversial gaming Opinion: both SF Zero and Other M were great games *Mechanically*, but were just ruined by Controls and Story, respectively)

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo is my ideal candidate for a buyout in the case P* is going down (Square second best option), but ideally they should stay indipendent.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No. Having 100% of their games restricted to Nintendo's weaker hardware would be a shame.

Oct 25, 2017
So... facts can stop?

It's fact that they sell more units outside of Nintendo's ecosystem. Nier: Automata saved their company!

Ain't nobody buying a Nintendo console to play Platinum games, you wildin rn.
Why would Nintendo greenlight two exclusives for switch after Bayo 2/W101 bombed if they didn't think it mattered?

PlatinumGames also said NieR didn't save the studio, more like a brand boost after Scalebound.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Horrible idea, and will never understand the constant calls for the big 3 to buy up devs here in this forum beyond console warring.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.
I like that they seem to have a good working relationship with Nintendo (iirc Platinum basically said Nintendo was keeping them alive through the period of Bayo2/W101), but I don't think it would be good for them to go under the Nintendo umbrella as a 2nd party considering they get a bunch of work from other studios to help out dev.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. But if they get into financial trouble and the only way to survive is by getting picked up by one of the big 3, Nintendo is far and away the best option.
Basically my stance. If someone needs to buy them at some point I'd want it to be Nintendo over anyone else. I'll even go so far as to say over a 3rd party as well. But as long as Platinum can be independent it should be independent.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I would say no because Platinum Games releases tend to be all over the spectrum when it comes to quality.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This question is dumb and reeks of System Wars BS.

1. PlatinumGames wants to be independent.

2. Nintendo does not need to buy more studios.

3. If they did buy them, most of the talent can just leave at any moment, making the acquisition entirely pointless.

4. There is no point in buying a studio if they are willing to work with you anyway.

5. Managing and acquiring a studio is EXPENSIVE.

6. We the consumers will be worse off if the games are restricted to only being on Nintendo platforms.

. No, Nintendo should not buy PlatinumGames.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's the only way for plat to survive, no.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The question is fundamentally flawed. SHOULD Nintendo buy PlatinumGames? No, not unless that's what PlatinumGames' internal management and staff want, as we saw with Monolith Soft.

But COULD it happen? At the rate that things are going for them? It's possible. The relationship between the 2 companies is incredibly strong. Meanwhile, Microsoft cancelled their project with Platinum, the company name was stripped off of Granblue Re:link, Konami barely makes video games anymore, Sega is so disinterested that they're essentially giving their most lucrative Platinum IP over to Nintendo... the only other company showing interest in doing business with Platinum is Square Enix, but that relationship doesn't have the duration or breadth of titles that their relationship with Nintendo has (Bayo2, Bayo3, W101, Astral Chain, Star Fox Zero).

No. I'd rather have an independent Platinum that can work with anyone that isn't hand cuffed to Nintendo's platform.

Nearly 50% of Platinum's total game output since their exclusive deal with Sega folded up has been for Nintendo platforms, and with Scalebound's cancellation, about 66% of their new IP creations have been for Nintendo platforms. To couch this in the language you used, you don't have to handcuff a willing captive.

nah, independent platinum and case by case partnerships seem to be working

Yeah, just ask Microsoft and Cygames.

You have an odd obsession of Nintendo going out and buying developers left and right haha.
This won't happen, Nintendo doesn't have a history or interest of buying out developers.
And it is a waste of money, contract work is far cheaper.

Smh

Also, I'm bummed. I was going to make a thread about how Nintendo shouldn't buy Platinum and how their relationship perfectly encapsulates Nintendo's approach not partnerships over acquisitions.

Nintendo have been retaining an obscene amount of treasury shares specifically for the purpose of M&As, since the other reasons to hoard treasury shares do not apply to Nintendo's current business reality. Shareholders are hounding them to use them on said M&As, retire them or return them to the market, as any of those actions likely increases the value per share. They've been holding these treasury shares since shortly after Yamauchi's death, an exceptionally abnormal amount of time to retain them.

These actions signal Nintendo isn't engaging in business as usual.

In addition, here's some info we have from the Monolith Soft merger, from Wikipedia:

In a statement on the matter, then-CEO of Nintendo Satoru Iwata said that the deal was initiated due to the positive relations between Sugiura and Nintendo, and the two company's parallel design and development philosophies.

This begins to describe Nintendo's relationship with Platinum with every new project.

Perhaps history, primarily from 2 CEOs ago, doesn't mean anything anymore.

I don't think so, the only reason to do it would be to rescue them from a bad situation like they did with Monolithsoft. Look at Intelligent Systems for proof that Nintendo isn't interested in acquisitions no matter how closely they work with a studio.

I've not read anything that indicates this, unless it was a team morale issue you're talking about (which has been documented), since Bandai Namco reluctantly let go of their share in Monolith Soft and only sold in the first place to essentially win brownie points with Nintendo, so it wasn't a financial issue.

I thought that IS was a Nintendo internal studio tbh, IIRC they never worked in anything non-Nintendo related.

This is correct, they have.

Last edited:

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Nearly 50% of Platinum's total game output has been for Nintendo platforms, and with Scalebound's cancellation, about 66% of their new IP creations have been for Nintendo platforms. To couch this in the language you used, you don't have to handcuff a willing captive.
it would still be handcuffing their games to Nintendo platforms slick.

I'll buy the games I have no other option with, but I've played Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Revengeance on PC at an actual 60 faps, and would prefer more of their output that way.

I like not being limited to Nintendo's controller as I am for more fond of the dual shock 4 and 360 controller for action games.

Platinums games would benefit from better hardware, so yeah, pretty cut n dry on that. I don't care that they work with Nintendo, but I'm 100% against them being exclusive to Nintendo.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no, but it would be a yes if Platinum was in any type of financial trouble and actually wanted Nintendo to purchase them. Otherwise they can continue to collaborate on projects frequently.

Platinum needs to figure out a way to release some games that they fund themselves so they can start building up some IP and hopefully improve their financial situation. Maybe they aren't in a bad spot but it always seems like we as gamers are worried about their stability.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, they need to sell enough copies to be profitable for themselves, and looking at their best selling game (Nier Automata) the best thing for them seems to be releasing their games on PS & Xbox.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It would be good for Nintendo. They need more development resources, and Platinum is a prolific studio.

Jan 2, 2018
Miyamoto recently stated the following:

Miyamoto: "I have a very positive attitude about R&D investment. Because we are cooperating with other companies on software development, weʼre working on a larger scale than what can be handled solely within the company in terms of managing software development. But even as we expand the development scale, it is important that we will firmly maintain the Nintendo-made quality of the software. I know some people say we just need to hire more developers. We arenʼt merely focused on increasing development staff, but we are focusing on nurturing more developers adequately within Nintendo. I want us to actively invest in the products we develop, in order to maintain the quality we desire."

I think this also applies to acquiring companies.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So... facts can stop?

It's fact that they sell more units outside of Nintendo's ecosystem. Nier: Automata saved their company!

Ain't nobody buying a Nintendo console to play Platinum games, you wildin rn.

What am i even reading? jeez.

1) Platinum didn't need to be saved, Nier did extremely well but it was a low budget project so nobody was expecting much from it anyway.

2) Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 did well enough for Nintendo to continue this partnership with Platinum.

3) While i'm a bit upset that Platinum is still today that underrated, there are things that go beyond sales like the impact a game can make on a console. Think about Ico on PS2: the game is a cult classic and it sold really poorly. Every PG is always one of a kind, it's the one game you'll always remember. It's the same reason why i hoped things went better with Scalebound on Xbox, because Microsoft lacks games like these.