• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the way we read each other's post and I'm wondering how much avatars contribute to how we read each other's tone. Sure, we're familiar with certain names and have a feel for some people, but every now again, I'm a bit thrown off at how people end up reading each other.

It was just really weird to have someone swear up and down that you're being condescending to them, when I knew better, I had my actual words to show for it and I was just pulling my hair going "why are you perceiving me this way"?

Hence me going with baffled Joey Wheeler who in my opinion paints a much ... friendlier(?) picture.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
100% yes, and if it's someone you don't like you'll get triggered just seeing the avatar in the future.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My avatar definitely gives off its intended effect, yes

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes
4034.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
When people see my avatar they know that they're dealing with a rational reasoned poster with keen insights.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
My avatar better give the show away that I'm actually a green autotuned bird thing.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I do genuinely wonder what people perceive my avatar's tone to be. Like, what kind of 'vibe' does it give off or whatever.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's why people loathe people with anime screencaps as avatars because often than not those people show traits of being alt-right or unsympathetic edgy trolls.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
ive never once thought of someones tone based on what their avatar was.

i assume everyone on reseteradotcom is angry

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, but eventually it goes the other way around where I start associating whatever their avatar is with that persons ongoing personality.

Like Rashida Jones. Or a certain ninja turtle.

That being the case, if you change avatars, I have no idea who you are anymore.
At least until you stick with it long enough or your name stuck long enough. (e.g. subpar)

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assume anyone with an anime avatar is condescending based on my experience on the internet.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I usually don't unless they have a picture of an anime girl. Then I'm iffy about everything they say. Unless I'm used to seeing them.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I change my avatar I'll ruin the nice little thing I have going with my name.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Tbh whenever I see an anime avatar and they "don't really know what all this gamergate stuff is about anyway" I judge harshly.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Whatever opinion I make, people will be like- "you have a Caulifla avatar, you don't know what's good" or something along those lines. As if I'm unaware of how shit DB Super is.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you're a good example for this, you seemed miffed at me for a post I made in that democrats thread a while back and I genuinely didn't see what the problem was.

Your words were for me to "get off your high horse", to which, I was like, wait, what?

Yes. Whatever opinion I make, people will be like- "you have a Caulifla avatar, you don't know what's good" or something along those lines. As if I'm unaware of how shit DB Super is.
Guilty. Granted, I just kept the thought to myself.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does with me, to an extent.
It's also a good short hand. So you know who's posting what, just by looking at the avatar.

Wonder what people think of me because of mine.