• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've never really thought about it.

Sometimes I'll look at an avatar after someone has posted something ridiculous and form my own SECRET conclusion but that is super rare.

Mostly I just appreciate when people have neat ones.

Volgihn

Oct 25, 2017
To me it doesn't play a part at all when it comes to tone however, I take some posters opinions less serious based on their avatars and it varies from thread to thread. Most of people defending Nintendo's questionable online decisions had avatars of Nintendo characters etc etc.

Not that I'm aware of. If I like (or dislike) an avatar, it doesn't make me more or less interested in the user and the posts.
But I noticed that I tend to picture the user having the same gender as the person in the ava, knowing that it's complete bullshit. I don't know why my brain pulls this stunt on me.
Still that doesn't affect how I treat said user.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Not that I'm aware of. If I like (or dislike) an avatar, it doesn't make me more or less interested in the user and the posts.
But I noticed that I tend to picture the user having the same gender as the person in the ava, knowing that it's complete bullshit. I don't know why my brain pulls this stunt on me.
Still that doesn't affect how I treat said user.

People are thier avatar. Im Cats. Youre Virgil. Thats just the way it is.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I don't judge people on their avatars, unless they're offensive e.g. racist, sexist, homophobic etc., but that's not really an issue in this particular community.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If I'm familiar with the character, sometimes I might read everyone's post in the voice of the character from your avatar.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm honestly more worried about my stupid and lame nickname lol.
People maybe thinks that i'm a gym freak enthusiast or a guy who like to show-off and i'm not that type of person...

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I would hope mine has a relatively neutral effect. Maybe it looks a little edgy too by being a red and black hooded figure, and that's fine I guess.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I don't think I've ever been influenced by people's avatars. I do remember avatars and not usernames, with a few exceptions, so any prexisting knowledge about a person tends to be thrown out when they change it.

I'm hoping my avatar is seen as pretty neutral.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time Bobo Dakes changed his avatar which might have been about 20 times by now i perceived his tone differently.

At this moment it's like, dude let it go Goku won't be in Smash.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I hope my avatar gives off its intended vibe lol like a playful and cool guy
B1011188362.jpg

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Of course. It's not like your name which you didn't choose yourself. It's 100% your won creative decision.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Recropped my Avi to show Goku's smile. Now stop telling me to calm down just because I use swear words. I'll make it known if I'm actually upset.

Was surprised to see this thread get resurrected like Dracula in a Castlevania game but seeing your post OP, it makes sense why.

Yes, people are judgemental at our very core. It's part of what sucks in being a human being. No matter how much we try, deep down, we are animals, and we at times have immediate subconscious reactions based on our senses that can cause a knee jerk reaction.

Seeing some of the responses here also details that. I see more than a few posts from folks admitting if they see an anime avatar they immediately become judgemental of a person based on previous experiences.

Which is sad, as that individual could be a saint of a person irl but from the onset expectations have been set and that will color their interactions with said individual, should they choose to do so.

As an example, I forget the users name but there is a user who has an avatar of a cat hanging on a cliff that is drooling and bug eyed and I find it not only hilarious but pleasing to look at as it is almost comforting in its humor.

Whereas let's say you take my own Avatar, which is actually from a commissioned artwork piece of my own character from a friend of mine.

I would almost guarantee you folks would treat the individual with the cat avatar far different than they would me for example, on a subconscious level.

This is because avatars clearly invoke emotions and thoughts as say, the difference between a picture of a sunny summer field vs a dreary wet winter landscape or a war torn battlefield.

The avatar may not represent the whole of a person. After all it's just a piece of our personality.

But pictures as a whole do color perceptions and cause subconscious judgement. Just like many cereal box manufacturers determined that bright red boxes for trix and lucky charms worked to get attention from kids vs green or other colors.

Deep down we are all just animals sadly. The great thing is human beings can rise above this and be better than that.

It's just a matter of us pushing ourselves to do so.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I avoid quoting posters with real pics.

I quote only the ones who are too pretty to be true. Which would make them fake real pics. Which is ok to quote.

Not the real real ones.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I changed mine to make it less smug-looking because people have sometimes accused me of having a condescending tone.

My current avatar still has a smug pose, but it's hard to take spider-pig seriously.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Yes. If it's someone with a DMC or Megaman avatar, then I know it's a very wise person.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i sometimes wonder if people think i'm in reality a fluffy kitty cat.

I prefer cute and fun avatars to mean spirited and grotesque ones.