• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poketune

Oct 25, 2017
20079.jpg
_A5MJCKn.jpg

This is what anime niggas want

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Recropped my Avi to show Goku's smile. Now stop telling me to calm down just because I use swear words. I'll make it known if I'm actually upset.

Halo 2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of Nowhere
User banned (permanent): Avatar shaming, long history of trolling, recently returned from latest ban. Troll poster.
Anime avatars definitively add to the tone/motivation of most posts.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always just mistakenly think mines the grim reaper

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I changed to this avatar when everyone was giving themselves Black Panther ones. That was in February. Now I'll never change it 🤣

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Only in situations like someone has lets say Troy mcclure as an avatar, then I read their posts in his voice. The professor in futurama is another example

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe! I did a study back on NeoGAF to see if people's avatars would result in more quoting. Didn't find any evidence for it, but the way I categorized avatars was pretty broad.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I like my avatar a lot just because I like this art, but I'm aware that:

1. It's essentially an anime avatar
2. it gives off a try-hard overly serious vibe

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I never had an Avatar on gaf or here till yesterday. Personally I think we create psychological association's about posters and their avatars. Overtime we probably construct a general viewpoint about what the poster is like based on a combination of posts and their Avatar. The Avatar image probably acts like a trigger or an anchor.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the avatar and topic. Someone with a Star Wars avatar defending The Last Jedi for example. That or a Legend of Zelda avatar saying anime sucks being tone deaf as fuck.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Thought this sounded familiar. Still a no from me, but it seems like others are sometimes influenced by and assign tone to avatars.

I don't recognize that many of the characters or care that they are making weird faces, if I even notice them when responding.

I also change my avatar here occasionally.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
They don't for me, but I'll admit that I definitely think about that in relation to my own avatar sometimes when I post on serious topics like racism, violence, etc.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about the way we read each other's post and I'm wondering how much avatars contribute to how we read each other's tone. Sure, we're familiar with certain names and have a feel for some people, but every now again, I'm a bit thrown off at how people end up reading each other.

It was just really weird to have someone swear up and down that you're being condescending to them, when I knew better, I had my actual words to show for it and I was just pulling my hair going "why are you perceiving me this way"?

Hence me going with baffled Joey Wheeler who in my opinion paints a much ... friendlier(?) picture.

Absolutely. Some of the people I like the least here have avatars I find annoying and seem to match what kind of person I think they are, even if that's not how it works.