• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Sony needs to counter Halo/Forza

• No need people will be okay with TLoU2 and Death Stranding

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • Ghost of Tsushima release with PS5 (inferior ps4 version hided)

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Horizon 2 : Electric Bogalooo for launch and PS5 only

Votes: 59 23.5%
  • 1 week exclusive DLC of CoD will force to buy 499$ PS5

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Fornite : Ninja Edition exclusive to PS5

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Knack 3 : baby lets go

Votes: 61 24.3%

• Total voters

Truth411

Sep 25, 2018
Honestly, I'd would love a Ratchet N Clank 4k/30fps HDR game as a PS5 launch title. Have an optional 1440p/60fps mode.

Oct 28, 2017
The "Halo isn't big anymore" takes are so so wrong and is just an example of this websites bubble

It's still big, it's just not 360 era big anymore. 5 didn't seem to carry the amount of hype and excitement as previous installments. Pretty sure sales were considerably lower too from previous entries. At least from I read here and the old place.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Seriously Spiderman is everywhere and I can honestly say I've never seen anything Halo related and I'm in NYC. I've seen few random Uncharted things but nothing crazy. Halo has been taken a popularity dive. Only thing I've seen Halo related is that bs Netflix movie.
Ok im coming into this like mid convo so i dont know what the comparisons are but if we are strictly talking games then halo is definitely a more important and valuable franchise to launch with right now. Maybe if spidey has a few sequals that prove it has staying power and can keep quality up.

As far as IP goes then no competition spidey is bigger of course but thats not very fair. Spidey is old as hell and has had a long ass time to build multiple gens of fans. halo while being a classic game at this point doesnt have near the historical depth as any major marvel character let alone their biggest ever

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's still big, it's just not 360 era big anymore. 5 didn't seem to carry the amount of hype and excitement as previous installments. Pretty sure sales were considerably lower too from previous entries. At least from I read here and the old place.

Well Halo 5 was a disappointment on a disappointing console. All we have seen and heard from Infinite so far show a return to form in some respects. Scarlet "should" be a more popular box out of the gate and will be launching with a new Halo game for the 1st time in almost 2 decades. Mix PC, Xcloud, and cross gen support, the game should be the biggest it's been since Halo 3.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, sure. Microsoft already stated Game Pas has had a positive impact and actually increased projection sales but of course you doubt them and think any positive news from them is just PR stuff. Why even bother having a discussion if you're so closed minded to what others are presenting.

My post has nothing to do with that, or denying or not believing that is the case, in fact if what Microsoft says is true, they actually have even more reason to publish seperate sales figures and Game Pass download numbers per individual title, but as mentioned they most probably won't, because combined total player numbers is good PR and provides inflated and obfuscated optics to the success of a title.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Ok im coming into this like mid convo so i dont know what the comparisons are but if we are strictly talking games then halo is definitely a more important and valuable franchise to launch with right now. Maybe if spidey has a few sequals that prove it has staying power and can keep quality up.

As far as IP goes then no competition spidey is bigger of course but thats not very fair. Spidey is old as hell and has had a long ass time to build multiple gens of fans. halo while being a classic game at this point doesnt have near the historical depth as any major marvel character let alone their biggest ever

Spiderman sold 10 millions copies in 3 months (the last report we had was in November). A launch with Spider 2 would be huge, but probably won't be ready by then.

Oct 25, 2017

No Statham said Halo was bigger than Spider-Man as an IP(not just games) based on stuff he saw in Walgreens. No joke.

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm hyped for Halo. It's definitely not the behemoth it once was. But no. I'm not expecting Sony to launch lets say Horizon 2 at the launch of the PS5.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Except it wouldn't necessarily, for the reasons outlined. For all we know past Halo's may have had 30-40m players. It's a massively inflated number that for the reasons outlined, doesn't give a clear account of the success of a title. Concurrent players would actually be more valuable in revenue terms, and Microsoft could always simply offer sales figures as well as Game Pass download numbers per individual game, but of course they won't because the conflating and obfuscating nature of total player numbers is great PR.
I'm sure we can spend all day thinking of ways that player count could be skewed and not reflective of a game's overall sales and revenue. However I do feel you're downplaying the value of engagement and it's overall impact on the health of the Halo franchise and the Xbox platform. If Infinite is a game that people love, high player counts will undoubtedly lead to more sales, people extending their Game Pass subscriptions, and a thriving community of MP players filling up lobbies and giving 343 revenue for continual updates. Even if someone doesn't like Infinite that much, perhaps they'll use their GP subscription to try other games and end up a fan of Gears or Ninja Theory or Sea of Thieves. There is a TON of upside to getting people to the platform.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "Halo isn't big anymore" takes are so so wrong and is just an example of this websites bubble
Weird. I'd say "Halo is the biggest thing ever" is so wrong and an example of this site's bubble. Just look at all "what is the most popular" threads and the poll results. Multiple Sony exclusives are pushing similar or better numbers than Halo at its peak, and it's not as big as it was back then. It's far from irrelevant, but it's not the biggest game these days. God of War, Horizon, and Spider-man have all pushed similar numbers to Halo at its peak with GoW and Spider-man looking to pass it. Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us have handily outsold it. Destiny has also handily shattered Halo sales figures and with only two games is approaching Halo's total series sales (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Reach, ODST, Halo wars 1 and 2, and whatever else).

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well Halo 5 was a disappointment on a disappointing console.

If the most recent installment was a disappointment commercially and with audiences, that matters when talking about its relevance, though.

Like, if we're talking about relevance, saying "Halo 5 was just a dud!" doesn't really support the "Halo is as big as ever" position.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No Statham said Halo was bigger than Spider-Man as an IP(not just games) based on stuff he saw in Walgreens. No joke.
Ok yeah thats just silly ( And I am a Halo super fan, Like ridiculously ludicrous super fan lmao)
Spidey is way bigger as a brand and id argue could prob sell more copies right now as a game seeing how well it done and now Insomniac proved itself along with the fact that halo is not as big now as it once was.

As a launch titel tho to keep it on topic i think that if 343i can make infinite something truly special and knock it out the park it would have a more significant impact on the launch of the gen.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Spiderman sold 10 millions copies in 3 months (the last report we had was in November). A launch with Spider 2 would be huge, but probably won't be ready by then.
Yeah i dont doubt for a second that Spidey would sell bookoos and has a definite potential to outsell a next gen Halo ( hypothetically assuming that both install bases for nextbox and ps5 are similar)

But I think that a successful Halo "Relaunch" would be more significant to the start of the gen than and new spidey.
Not only would it be a glorious return to one of gamings most important franchises but it would give xbox a much needed boost right at the start where as with spidey 2 we all expect it to be great and sell good its less of an unknown so less of a talking point when it does well.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think PS5 needs a game since it's gonna be BC and it has the PlayStation name. Plus exclusive cod marketing and likely one or two big cross gen games should be more than enough.

Besides, Xbox is coming off a pretty bad gen so I'd think most ppl would be taking a wait and see approach with it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really think PS5 needs a game since it's gonna be BC and it has the PlayStation name. Plus exclusive cod marketing and likely one or two big cross gen games should be more than enough.

I would be extremely surprised if Sony launched a new PlayStation without exclusive first-party software to support it.

For the early days of the next PlayStation, Sony's most meaningful competition won't be the new Xbox, it'll be the PS4 people already have. Sony has to spur people to upgrade, and BC doesn't do that. Games are what drive hardware sales, and the people who drop $399+ on a brand new PlayStation are going to want a shiny new game to play on it.

This isn't 2000, where Sony can just release Fantavision because their real "killer app" is being a DVD player. They need to pair the system with desirable software that makes the case for why a new PlayStation needs to be in people's lives (and on their shopping lists).

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Oh yeah im sure GT7 will be ready by PS6 launch definitely.

Also lol at the "Halos not even popular anymore"
Meanwhile a 4 year old MCC is second most wanted on steam.

Oct 28, 2017
I would be extremely surprised if Sony launched a new PlayStation without exclusive first-party software to support it.

For the early days of the next PlayStation, Sony's most meaningful competition won't be the new Xbox, it'll be the PS4 people already have. Sony has to spur people to upgrade, and BC doesn't do that. Games are what drive hardware sales, and the people who drop $399+ on a brand new PlayStation are going to want a shiny new game to play on it.

This isn't 2000, where Sony can just release Fantavision because their real "killer app" is being a DVD player.

Oh I'm sure they'll have something but they don't need a exclusive to fight halo. Knack 3, maybe something else but it doesn't need to be huge. Not for launch. XBox is the one that needs something big to spur interest back into it's brand.

Aug 23, 2018
Assuming that HZD2 is 2021 at the earliest, no not even close.

Infinite will be doing big dick numbers with GamePass on PC and Xbox and release on 4-5 platforms and PC game-stores.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

This isn't 2000, where Sony can just release Fantavision because their real "killer app" is being a DVD player. They need to pair the system with desirable software that makes the case for why a new PlayStation needs to be in people's lives (and on their shopping lists).

Eh, they don't NEED to. All it'll take is a next gen only CoD or Assassin's Creed to get people to buy both consoles. 3rd parties do the heavy lifting. Besides these last 2 gens, Xbox has been stronger software wise out the gate. Again imo the PS5 and Scarlett are gonna sell out regardless, Halo is just gonna be that extra oomf of must have if it's good. There quite honestly nothing Sony has that would capture the zeitgeist like a MP exclusive. If Halo is hot I need to buy and Xbox now to play it to get in on the MP aspect. Spider-Man and Horizon aren't doing that. They'll be the same 2 years later when the PS5 starts to heat up.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the ranking right now according to my perception of each game's revenue at their peak:

1. Fornite
2. PUBG
3. COD
4. Crossfire
5. Warframe
6. Overwatch
7. Counter-strike
8. Halo

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I think ghost will be their main launch game. That game is probably not launching first half of 2020 if TLoU2 is coming out then and that point might as well save it for launch.

Horizon 2 is likely too imo but it feels like you're releasing same genre of games at the same time which seems counter productive so I don't see both happening at the same time, it's one or the other.

God of War is not impossible, surely they are building something with the base they have now, it shouldn't take too long but Santa Monica usually takes pretty long. Even GoW Ascension took 3 years to come out so I'm not counting on it.

Spiderman 2 is probably the most likely outcome. Insomniac is resourceful studio, they put things together pretty quickly.

They don't need many first party game to launch the console, they almost certainly have the marketing on black ops 5 or avengers and things like that, those things sell more anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
They need to pair the system with desirable software that makes the case for why a new PlayStation needs to be in people's lives (and on their shopping lists).

I think after 24 years, most ppl are well aware when they get a PlayStation, software is a non issue. They don't have to prove it. They have decades of success in the gaming industry to prove that. The software will be there. Either at launch or shortly thereafter.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, they don't NEED to. All it'll take is a next gen only CoD or Assassin's Creed to get people to buy both consoles.

But a next-gen-only CoD or Assassin's Creed is extremely unlikely to arrive at launch.

Sony needs to quickly drive adoption of their new system, so that third parties feel confident leaving the old systems behind. They're not going to move to it faster than Sony themselves are willing to.

Launching a new console without exclusive new software would be a mistake. Consumers would wait for the games to arrive, and it would be seen as a vote of no confidence by third parties. Saying this shouldn't be controversial, considering literally every console launches with first party software for this reason.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But a next-gen-only CoD or Assassin's Creed is extremely unlikely to arrive at launch.

Sony needs to quickly drive adoption of their new system, so that third parties feel confident leaving the old systems behind. They're not going to move to it faster than Sony themselves are willing to.

Launching a new console without exclusive new software would be a mistake. Consumers would wait for the games to arrive, and it would be seen as a vote of no confidence by third parties. Saying this shouldn't be controversial, considering literally every console launches with first party software for this reason.

MS won't have day 1 exclusives too, they won't abandon their install base.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think after 24 years, most ppl are well aware when they get a PlayStation, software is a non issue. They don't have to prove it. They have decades of success in the gaming industry to prove that. The software will be there. Either at launch or shortly thereafter.

There are a lot of people who aren't going to buy a system on potential alone, though. They buy a system because it has a game they want to play on it, and they can't play the game on their current box.

I kind of can't believe I'm having to make the case for launch titles, here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

The PS5 will sell out regardless of 1st party launch exclusive. The last thing they should do is rush their super hot I.Ps for PS5 launch, resulting it possibly worst game, when year 2 or 3 will be as effective if not more so, due to no supply issues in 21/22.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will have Horizon 2. they rushed out kzsf in 2 years and 8 months for the ps4 launch with a good portion of the team working on Horizon. why are we assuming that given 3 years and 8 months and the entire team behind one game with a lot more new developers since HZD shipped. its pretty much a guarantee.

they can always fuck up and make it cross gen and ruin all the advantages SSDs, the new CPU and ray tracing could provide but sony has done dumb things before like releasing GT6 on PS3 a month after ps4 launch and MS for some reason is ok with releasing Halo infinite on last gen consoles so wtf do i know.

i do think Sony is in better shape than MS. they had a bunch of games come out in 2017 and 2018 and those studios should be ready to launch games in the holiday 2020 to holiday 2021 window. Horizon 2 is pretty much guaranteed. i think gt7 is probably not going to make launch but 3 years should be good enough.

that leaves bluepoint, SSM and insomniac games as three studios who released a game in 2018 and should have a game ready by 2021. with the new CPU and SSD upgrades, it might mean they have to go back to the drawing board and really truly innovate instead of just making pretty graphics and a good graphics engine. and i dont know if you can do that in 3 years nowadays.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2 Days after E3

5 Days after E3

And yes that's the highest viewed Infinite trailer. I don't remember Death Stranding's trailer views but I know it blew past 4 million in a really short space of time.

I think Halo hasn't been as big as it once was in a good while, not to mention the lukewarm reception the newest trailer received. Very ho-hum.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
If Sony starts their own gamepass service I think they'll be fine with whatever backwards compatible and crossgen games they have.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The new console will probably be more expensive than usual so I don't know about quick adoption regardless. If it's 500-600 bucks (honestly it's impossible for it to be less) it's going be a multi year transition as opposed to ps3-ps4 which was basically over in like 6 months. The current consoles are pretty decent still as well, if you have a pro or x, you could wait so I don't see it being that fast this time and seemingly companies expect the same.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

PS4 and Xbox One to a lesser extent were carried by Battlefield 4. Sony literally only had Killzone and Knack. Maybe a few PSN games and one that required a peripheral. Not to mention neither of those games were particularly good. Quite frankly Exclusives can wait about a year. You've got hype selling the boxes for the first year around Black Friday drop a more polished exclusive and run with it. The only reason Infinite is a launch title is because like BOTW at its core it's a last gen game.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The PS5 will sell out regardless of 1st party launch exclusive.

This seems like the sort of hubris Sony would do well to avoid.

The last thing they should do is rush their super hot I.Ps for PS5 launch, resulting it possibly worst game, when year 2 or 3 will be as effective if not more so, due to no supply issues in 21/22.

Who said anything about "rushing their super hot IPs"? I'm not saying Uncharted or God of War will be a launch exclusive.

Horizon seems about the right sort of IP, and by late 2020 it will be nearly four years since H:ZD's release, so I don't think they'd be rushing anything.

There's a reason Horizon is coming up again and again in this thread; it's a pretty obvious choice. Guerrilla has a history of making PlayStation launch titles and graphical showcases, it's about the right time for a Horizon sequel, and it would make sense for Sony to get Guerilla's Decima engine on the new hardware as quickly as possible, since other studios have shown a desire to use it.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I have a preference for the PC which I already explained. Therefore the Xbox to me is a bit redundant. I simply said it will take some notable launch games for me to be interested in getting a PS5 right away but you keep proving Sony doesn't need any exclsives at launch so why would I? How is that being biased towards the next Xbox or Sony having soemthing lined up to go againt Halo Infinite?

As for the PS3 it wasn't until years later Sony manged to right the ship, it was noticed right away third party didn't even like working on it and the exclusives didn't really start coming into their own until MGS4 hit. Now to go off of history the PS2 was not famous for it's 1st party line-up, far from it. It was famous for getting the bulk of titles from third party but nobody really wanted to work on it. The Xbox 360 was the lead platform and actually had some Japanese support early on, but of course the Japanese gamer snubbed their noses to it anyways so that meant the PS3 was the other option but in reality most Japanese content came to Nintendo's handheld and still does to this day. So it's a bit ironic to be talking about exclusives being the most important thing to many here and Japanese support yet Switch is hardly mentioned.

Sony did indeed lose a lot of marketshare last gen, so to suggest every generation doesn't open up with a clean slate isn't exactly accurate either. Xbox just has a lackluster brand outside of the USA, thankfully for them it is still one of the largest regions for sales.

At the end of the day it would be nice to see more people be less entrenched in their brands until we see a clearer picture of next gen (launch titles, price) but it is what it is.

Microsoft has shown how to do BC with their X enhanced games so it would be nice for Sony to follow suit but so far only PS4 games are confirmed.

What does it matter whether the PS2 exclusives were made internally or by third party developers? It does not. The fact is that both the PS and PS2 had a much, much better line up than their respective competitions. It was not even close. Hence millions of gamers gave Sony the benefit of the doubt. And that is not even accounting for the infintely better distribution, marketing and localization network that Sony has developed throughout the world.
You comparison with the Switch is nonsensical: The Switch does not have most of the large third party games, including a bunch of high profile Japanese titles. Anyone turning a blind eye to this simple, observable fact, is doing so on purpose to muddy the waters. The Xbox suffers from a lack of Japanese titles, and its exclusive line up pales in comparison to both the Switch and the Playstation. The Switch enjoys a good deal of small and quircky Japanese Software, and hosts Nintendo mostly stellar in house games; but it lacks massive third party titles. The Playstation offers a broadspectrum than both: Sony first party sofware, quircky games, Japanese titles, plus VR games. That is why it is more successful. That and the impeccable messaging surrounding it.
As to your point about the PS3 having lost market share, you are again in the wrong in terms of appreciation: Had it not been the PS3, it would not have sold a fifth ofare what it did during the first half of last generation. I dare any unknown company to launch such a complicated, unbalanced and expensive console as Sony with the PS3, with some of the worst messaging ever, and record a tenth of the sales. So, no, the popularity of the two previous consoles is what kept it afloat, especially in Europe, just like the US market, which had been favorable to the Xbox since the first platforn, allowed MS to not completely drown.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
but that's kinda like comparing Nintendo Wii U titles with their Wii titles, isn't it? Xb1 hardware didn't sell as many as 360, so xb1 titles selling lower makes sense. I imagine releasing Halo Infinite as Scarlet launch titles, it's obvious MS is hoping it'll be their BOTW. now maybe Halo Infinite won't be as ground breaking as BOTW, but that is still a huge flagship title launching with Scarlet. Master Chief is still considered as Xbox mascot

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's not hubris, it's fact. The Xbox Scarlett and PS5 will be virtually unfindable until like March. That's how it always goes. At launch they will always sell out in 24-48 hours.

The store I worked at never sold out of Xbox Ones. We were actually over-supplied and ended up shipping some back to Microsoft.

We had "Day One Editions" for months.

And what got Microsoft in that position, I wonder?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like the sort of hubris Sony would do well to avoid.

Who said anything about "rushing their super hot IPs"? I'm not saying Uncharted or God of War will be a launch exclusive.

Horizon seems about the right sort of IP, and by late 2020 it will be nearly four years since H:ZD's release, so I don't think they'd be rushing anything.

There's a reason Horizon is coming up again and again in this thread; it's a pretty obvious choice. Guerrilla has a history of making PlayStation launch titles and graphical showcases, it's about the right time for a Horizon sequel, and it would make sense for Sony to get Geurilla's Decima engine on the new hardware as quickly as possible, since other studios have shown a desire to use it.

There's no hubris about it (even if it sounds like it), it's just what happens with super hyped new consoles, I would bet everything on both next gen consoles selling out at launch (maybe not all 3 if MS go the 2 console route, that's rumoured). It has nothing to do with 1st party games and everything to do with supply, which will be ironing out the kinks, and will be far outweighed by demand for months. Just look at like any major new gen console launch.

Horizon is probably their hottest I.P given it's a brand new I.P with incredible potential, well outside of Spidey, but that's not really the same tier given it's 1 of the biggest multi media I.Ps of all time.
It's probably the best bet, but if it's not ready for PS5 launch they absolutely shouldn't rush it, it's not that important to risk the potential of the I.P with a underwhelming sequel that'd probably be within 12 months of it's release anyway.

Aug 23, 2018
The question was how does Halo stack up to the Sony first party, and Sony wasn't at E3.

But DID release a trailer on May 29th

Death Stranding's may 29th 2019 trailer: 7.1M views on Youtube.

youtu.be

Death Stranding – Release Date Reveal Trailer | PS4

https://www.playstation.com/games/death-stranding/?emcid=or-1s-412983DEATH STRANDING will be available November 8, 2019. Learn more: https://www.playstation....

Halo Infinite's "discover hope" E3 2019 trailer? 4M views.

Nobody is saying Halo "isnt big" because it still sells just fine. It just doesn't sell on the levels that Sony's first parties do.

That's not launching with the PS5 lol

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also lol at the "Halos not even popular anymore"

Yes, it's logical fallacy time again. The sure sign that someone's point isn't strong enough to stand on its own. The post above is a classic example of the strawman argument:

6TJJOt0.png

People have pointed out, quite rightly, that the Halo series isn't the juggernaut it once was. It can be popular and still not be difficult to counter as a launch title, which in the context of the thread makes perfect sense and is reasonably justified by the evidence.