• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Sony needs to counter Halo/Forza

• No need people will be okay with TLoU2 and Death Stranding

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • Ghost of Tsushima release with PS5 (inferior ps4 version hided)

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Horizon 2 : Electric Bogalooo for launch and PS5 only

Votes: 59 23.5%
  • 1 week exclusive DLC of CoD will force to buy 499$ PS5

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Fornite : Ninja Edition exclusive to PS5

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Knack 3 : baby lets go

Votes: 61 24.3%

• Total voters

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does it matter whether the PS2 exclusives were made internally or by third party developers? It does not. The fact is that both the PS and PS2 had a much, much better line up than their respective competitions. It was not even close. Hence millions of gamers gave Sony the benefit of the doubt. And that is not even accounting for the infintely better distribution, marketing and localization network that Sony has developed throughout the world.
You comparison with the Switch is nonsensical: The Switch does not have most of the large third party games, including a bunch of high profile Japanese titles. Anyone turning a blind eye to this simple, observable fact, is doing so on purpose to muddy the waters. The Xbox suffers from a lack of Japanese titles, and its exclusive line up pales in comparison to both the Switch and the Playstation. The Switch enjoys a good deal of small and quircky Japanese Software, and hosts Nintendo mostly stellar in house games; but it lacks massive third party titles. The Playstation offers a broadspectrum than both: Sony first party sofware, quircky games, Japanese titles, plus VR games. That is why it is more successful. That and the impeccable messaging surrounding it.
As to your point about the PS3 having lost market share, you are again in the wrong in terms of appreciation: Had it not been the PS3, it would not have sold a fifth ofare what it did during the first half of last generation. I dare any unknown company to launch such a complicated, unbalanced and expensive console as Sony with the PS3, with some of the worst messaging ever, and record a tenth of the sales. So, no, the popularity of the two previous consoles is what kept it afloat, especially in Europe, just like the US market, which had been favorable to the Xbox since the first platforn, allowed MS to not completely drown.

Because as I said multiple times third party hated working on the PS3, which was known right away. There really was no reason to buy a PS3 at launch other than brand loyalty and those who wanted a bluray player that was considered cheap at the time for $599. I personally don't believe in brand loyalty but obviously others think differently, which of course is not a problem. At the end of that generation they proved the long game paid off because Microsoft fucked up any goodwill they had earned by pulling back 1st party support in favor of Kinect and the RRoD situation certainly didn't help matters anyways.

This history lesson does play a part to where we are now, but again I think keeping an open mind is not asking too much since Microsoft does have a renewed interest in getting back into the game, no pun intended.

If MS woun't make exclusives for Scarlet, who else is suppose to? 1st party is suppose to move on, to push for next gen.

The next Xbox will likely be just as powerful or even more powerful than the PS5. Meaning it will get the same third party support, minus maybe some niche Japanese titles unless Sony makes some exclusive deals with the bigger ones.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I personally agree, which is why I didn't buy one for two years. I don't think this means Sony should feel comfortable with repeating this, however, or that what worked for the PS4 will work for the next PlayStation.
It's the price of ending a gen very strong. I much prefer it to starting strong and ending weak like the other 2 usually do.

DiableJambe11

Jun 1, 2018
That's not what you said. You said TLOU is bigger than Halo. Halo has more brand power than TLOU. No doubt about that IMHO
I actually do branding for living. What do you think branding is for? You build a brand and reputation to sell your products or services... If another company is outselling you and bringing in more business, your branding obviously isn't working as well as your competition.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the price of ending a gen very strong. I much prefer it to starting strong and ending weak like the other 2 usually do.

If the PS5 is BC with PS4 games it certanly would be a better situation IMO if they do launch wth something big for once instead of kind of coasting on their brand for a year or two.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

This is a false dichotomy. Sony seems intent on ending this generation strong, but there's no indication that they're not also able and intending to start the next generation strong. It's not like all of their studios are releasing games in the PS4's last year.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So which do you think will sell more? TLOU2 or halo infinite? If TLOU2 ends up selling more than halo infinite, who has the bigger brand?
Whoever has the most players playing the game?

This is a false dichotomy. Sony seems intent on ending this generation strong, but there's no indication that they're not also able and intending to start the next generation strong. It's not like all of their studios are releasing games in the PS4's last year.

When was the last time Sony had strong hitters right out of the gate at launch?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If the PS5 is BC with PS4 games it certanly would be a better situation IMO if they do launch wth something big for once.
Oh, for sure, but I also think that helps in not needing a big exclusive at launch. Just look at how ridiculous next year is shaping, no way 99% of people can play all those potentially great games at their release, but probably could catch them at PS5's. I've already got a decent PS5 backlog as is (I'm not buying open world gamess for PS4 anymore, though Cyberpunk might get me).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
All their major and minor studios would have released something within the last 3 years of PS4. The ending isn't just the final year, especially with 5 year+ dev times not being uncommon anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, for sure, but I also think that helps in not needing a big exclusive at launch. Just look at how ridiculous next year is shaping, no way 99% of people can play all those potentially great games at their release, but probably could catch them at PS5's. I've already got a decent PS5 backlog as is (I'm not buying open world gamess for PS4 anymore, though Cyberpunk might get me).
Exactly. 97 million PS4 owners will be able to trade in their consoles towards ps5 and have recent and upcoming games to play like death stranding, ffvii, TLOU2 and more on BC right out of the gate.

Apr 30, 2019
Halo has everything it needs to be able to blow away anything I see from Sony in 2020. They just have to play their cards right, which I'm sure they will, yet again, screw up. The sandbox and core gameplay are among the best in the industry, yet 343 continuously misuse them, which has dragged the series down. If they can create an open world experience featuring massive in game battles with warthogs, scorpions, falcons, ghosts, banshees, scarabs, and the rest of the amazing line up of vehicles and weapons, as well as include cleverly designed more linear and close up indoor encounters, then the campaign will be untouchable by any other game I can see releasing in the time frame. Also, return the story back to being about an epic and otherworldly adventure brimming with mystique and wonder with humanity pulling together and giving everything it takes to overcome an impossible struggle against a relentlessly ruthless and mysterious alien threat, and keep the more personal drama to a minimum. If they couple that with a set of 10 to 15 competitive 4v4 maps along with a new large scale multiplayer mode with 64 or more players on Battlefield sized maps with Halo's top notch sandbox of weapons and vehicles and pvp combat, then Halo Infinite could easily be game of the year.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

By their current standards, never. I think Sony's first party is in a much stronger position than it has been in the past, however.

I think Resistance was a heavy hitter by 2006 Sony standards. It's not like they were holding it back because it would be a waste to release it at launch, or whatever. It was the big Sony game that year, and they were willing to put it on PS3 at launch to drive PS3 adoption and show the world what it could do.

All their major studios would have released something within the last 3 years of PS4. The ending isn't just the final year, especially with 5 year+ dev times not being uncommon anymore.

November 2020 is 3 years 9 months after February 2017 (Horizon). Even if you count from the DLC, which I doubt the whole team was working on, that's three full years, which certainly isn't an unreasonable amount of time to make a sequel where you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
If you'd asked me prior to E3 I would've said FF7R and or Death Stranding would be PS5 launch titles.(BOTW style cross gen releases with PS4)

Now I have absolutely no clue. Death Stranding will have had a year being out so perhaps there could be a PS5 remaster at launch, but competing with Halo Infinite.. I don't think Sony's got anything we haven't played yet that's ready to go...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Arguably never. I think Sony's first party is in a much stronger position than it has been in the past, however.

I think Resistance was a heavy hitter by 2006 Sony standards, though. It's not like they were holding it back because it would be a waste to release it at launch, or whatever. It was the big Sony game that year, and they were willing to put it on PS3 at launch.

November 2020 is 3 years 9 months after February 2017 (Horizon). Even if you count from the DLC, which I doubt the whole team was working on, that's three full years, which certainly isn't an unreasonable amount of time to make a sequel where you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
It's also not a guaranteed enough time either, especially not when PS5 specs probably weren't finalize for at least 1, possibly 2 of those years, you have a big expansion, move to a new studio, significantly expand your team (still ongoing) and also have to build a support team to work with KojiPro.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, could we be getting a re imagined/soft reboot of the Resistance franchise? Or maybe even q revamped Killzone? GG has 2 teams and Insomniac has multiple studios. So who knows at this stage what could be in store for PS5.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Never? As I posted above, I sincerely doubt that they'll have any PS5 exclusive titles that are up to their recent standards. One or two smaller titles, perhaps, but nothing breathtaking. That's actually pretty typical for console launches with the usual exception of one incredibly strong Nintendo title at launch. The Xbox 360 didn't exactly launch with a stellar first-party lineup (Perfect Dark Zero was pretty awful and while Kameo was surprisingly solid it was small in scope.) That was definitely Microsoft's best showing in a console generation to date.

This generation is looking like it might be a little different for everyone. It's the first time we might see true cross-generation titles, a single SKU that can take advantage of the new hardware while still delivering a solid experience on the prior generation. With the exception of the single SKU aspect, It's the trick Nintendo has used twice now to give us a memorable launch title, first with Twilight Princess and then with Breath of the Wild. Halo: Infinite looks to follow in that vein.

Will Sony do something similar? It's impossible to say for certain. It could well be that Ghost of Tsushima winds up launching alongside the new hardware. Or that the big unannounced PS4 title we've heard hinted still remains to be announced is the one that will serve that role. Or it might be that they saw strong sales of remasters early in the PS4 cycle as a sign that it doesn't really matter when the titles first come out, so long as something big budget like The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, or Ghost of Tsushima is patched to showcase new capabilities of the new hardware. We've even started to get hints from other developers that they may have something similar in mind.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I thought about this the moment Microsoft announced that Halo is launching with the new xbox. I don't care that Halo popularity has waned over the years. When your competitor is launching a brand new console with brand new Halo, you had best bring something stellar to the table. Who knows what else Microsoft might save until their next hardware? It's not like they have much reason to compete with PS4 anymore. They might as well load up and aim for a new console launch. I would.

Sony on the other hand, is looking to close out PS4 strong. Most of their first party are out of the question for a PS5 launch. Naughty Dog, SSM, Sucker Punch, Bend are all out of that conversation based on our current information. We obviously know things are cooking such as HZD2, Sony San Diego, and a rumored next Ratchet and Demon Souls'd remake/remaster, but if I'm Sony right now, I'm looking at Halo launching with a new Xbox, then I'm looking at Death Stranding, TLOUII, and GoT and I'm heading to the board room, discussing how to leverage those games on PS5.

Backwards compatibility is awesome. But will my PS4 games play better on PS5? Is TLOUII going to be a selling point on PS5 nine months after launch? Death Stranding is on track to be one of the biggest games in years, but will people want to buy a PS5 for it one year later? This is what Sony is considering as they sit back and realize it'll be another 4 maybe 5 years before those studios will ship a game again.

To answer the OP, I believe Sony will find a way to leverage their Big 3 for the PS5, while having a few unannounced titles ready for the launch and the launch window. Halo is big, but TLOUII and DS are equally so if not bigger. The issue is that those games will be 9-12 months old, and making those an actual PS5 selling point will be tricky when the competition is essentially "brand new halo on the brand new xbox".

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a question. Are old school shooters like halo still popular to ppl who mostly play battle royal games like pubg snd fortnite and apex these days?

I know halo still has pull but to me it seems like the industry (companies and gamers alike) has largely moved away from traditional FPS games. It's why most devs these are incorporating BR into their games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's also not a guaranteed enough time either

Well, yeah, there's no guarantee that any game will come together on time. But Guerrilla has experience meeting console launch deadlines and has a strong technical and conceptual basis on which to build. Horizon 2 is probably a surer bet, as far as being able to be delivered on time, then many other potential titles.

"It's not guaranteed to be ready for launch" is a weird argument against trying to ship a launch title. Like, the PS5 isn't guaranteed to be ready by the launch of the PS5. Juggling all these things and getting them in order for launch is part of being a successful platform provider. It's literally Sony's job.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Sony should just throw a curve ball and launch with a brand new Jak and Dexter game.

Or my absolute dark horse pick.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance II.

FORCE OF NATUREEEEEEEEEEE!!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the problem with halo 5 was not that it wasn't a good game or that it wasnt as good as the series has been at its heights, its that it was that while it expanded on some of the mechanics of halo, it didn't really do a lot to evolve it structurally. and the one mode where they kind of did something different was cordoned off from the rest of the mostly traditional experience and bogged down with consumable microtransactions and the like.

Infinite has a chance to be a truly transformative sequel to halo in a way the series hasnt seen since 3. that of course doesn't mean it will be as popular as 3, its just promising for the quality of the game. or at least, based on the persistent rumors and every bit of subtext these teases have hinted at.

its definitely very likely sony wont have to directly compete with infinite in any way, unless any other factors conspire in order to make xbox more competitive with their box. who knows if that will happen

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Time to revive the halo killer

halokiller5ekiw.png
Unironically I loved this game so much I didn't understand the hate

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever has the most players playing the game?

ShadowFall broke 800k copies sold a month after release and went on to sell over 2 million copies.

It's a tad later on, but second son sold 1 million copies in 9 days.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, yeah, there's no guarantee that any game will come together on time. But Guerrilla has experience meeting console launch deadlines and has a strong technical and conceptual basis on which to build. Horizon 2 is probably a surer bet, as far as being able to be delivered on time, then many other potential titles.

"It's not guaranteed to be ready for launch" is a weird argument against trying to ship a launch title. Like, the PS5 isn't guaranteed to be ready by the launch of the PS5. Juggling all these things and getting them in order for launch is part of being a successful platform provider. It's literally Sony's job.
Yeah, I've literally already said to you it's the best bet to happen than any other potential 1st game that'll hit within the PS5's first 2 years. Best bet doesn't really mean much, GG have gone through a lot since HZD.

The PS5 would be getting planned from probably 2013, a console can some what afford to be rushed, like the PS4 was missing a lot of features for example, that got added through updates or 3rd party apps and will have significantly more resources behind it than any 1 game. Horizon 2 at most since 2017, but probably only really got going after Frozen Wilds. They aren't even comparable.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling Ghost of Tsushima will be a launch title for the PS5 release. Cross-gen with the PS4.

I could see this, but they've already shown off GoT as a PS4 game, and honestly I think they wouldn't have done that if it was going to be a big marquee PS5 title, cross-gen or not. They would have wanted to wait and show it to us as a PS5 title.

Plans can change, of course, but right now my gut says that GoT is going to get a pre-E3 release, and then from E3 on Sony is going to be all-in on building hype for the PS5. This isn't too dissimilar from the PS4 launch, with PS3 getting TLoU in early summer 2013. (2013 had Puppeteer and GT6 as late PS3 titles, which I don't think Sony will repeat.)

When Sony showed off GoT in late 2017, they specifically said they "didn't want to show it too early," implying that they weren't. Not intending to launch for another three years after that would be a little odd. (I think it's not unlikely that a TLoU2 delay to early 2019 had a knock-on effect on GoT, pushing it out a few months further.)

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
So which do you think will sell more? TLOU2 or halo infinite? If TLOU2 ends up selling more than halo infinite, who has the bigger brand?

Halo is an established franchise with a nearly 20 year history. TLOU has one game. Halo has branded mountain dew and doritos, and still has competitive tourneys today. The halo theme is instantly recognizable by a lot of people, even non gamers. TLOU is great, but it is no where close to halo, and probably never will be.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tlou remaster has sold more than the ps3 version, so tlou2 alone on ps5 might trump halo.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Halo is an established franchise with a nearly 20 year history. TLOU has one game. Halo has branded mountain dew and doritos, and still has competitive tourneys today. The halo theme is instantly recognizable by a lot of people, even non gamers. TLOU is great, but it is no where close to halo, and probably never will be.
TLoU 1 is Sony's best selling game ever, sitting around 20m, it's very well established. A franchises history means very little when talking about now and it's current state, Halo will probably never reach those highs again. TLoU 2 could, though that's a super high bar.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think sony even is thinking about halo.
If were talking about sales any of tlou2, hz2 or a possible spiderman 2 will beat halo alone in sales.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Infamous SS, Until Dawn & and quite a few peoples GOTG in Bloodborne... lol all of which released within 2 years.

I agree with Bloodborne, but it was a loooong fourteen months up to that point, and it's not like there was a flood of must-play games right after it, either.

I certainly hope this new generation gets going a little faster. A lot of third parties were taking a wait-and-see approach with the PS4 and Xbone; there was a lot of doubt about the place of the game console in modern life that has hopefully been answered.

I think one of the reasons the PS4 sold so well out of the gate was because the market was starving for new consoles; it had been eight years since the Xbox 360 launched and the consoles were really showing their age, with only 512MB of RAM. This time around, I'm not sure the consoles are showing their limitations in quite the same way — the new consoles aren't going to have 16x the RAM again — and we also had mid-generation upgrades to take care of some of that demand for newer consoles. (An under-appreciated boost to the PS4 was that at launch it only cost ~$100 more than the PS3 after seven years; that's not going to be the case this time, either.)

What I'm saying is, Sony maybe shouldn't be so reliant on the hardware to sell itself this time. And there's also no guarantee that Microsoft will bungle the launch of their next console, like they did with the Xbone.

Oct 28, 2017

Yes but that's all in the past. Cod and fornite have taken huge chunks out of halo's market share since those days. This isn't the 360 era anymore.

I want the new halo myself, I miss classic halo, but I doubt it's gonna be this huge spark the Xbox needs. Time will tell.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Infinite will be huge. But it will be played primarily on Xbone and pc at launch.

The fact it's cross gen means it will move less hardware. It will move some, to be sure. But not more than TLoU2 or other big cross gen titles.

I'm more interested to see what actual exclusives there will be at launch for both systems.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem to me that Sony is bothered to have their biggest titles launch on Day 1...

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
All their major and minor studios would have released something within the last 3 years of PS4. The ending isn't just the final year, especially with 5 year+ dev times not being uncommon anymore.

They have the largest second party network of the three players, so chances are that several studios other than theirs have been commissioned to making games. Sony knows what is at stake and will do its utmost to keep its leading position, so there should not be any issues at all.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They have the largest second party network of the three players, so chances are that several studios other than theirs have been commissioned to making games. Sony knows what is at stake and will do its utmost to keep its leading position, so there should not be any issues at all.
Japan Studios will probably have something too, I doubt any will be Halo tier though. That'll probably be in launch window.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine they'll allow for the launch of the PS5 to be as baron as the PS4 one was, so I'm hoping they'll have a blockbuster or two on release.

I also think Halo: Infinite is being overestimated a bit. Halo is not what it once was.

Feb 10, 2018
Of course they are not. PS5 will be sold out at launch no matter what game they have, no matter is Halo is a launch title for the next Xbox. Keep your games for 2021 to build momentum.

A great launch game will create buzz and excitement though. I'm sure Sony would love to have a huge game at launch, but game development does not always work out that way.