• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Sony needs to counter Halo/Forza

• No need people will be okay with TLoU2 and Death Stranding

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • Ghost of Tsushima release with PS5 (inferior ps4 version hided)

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Horizon 2 : Electric Bogalooo for launch and PS5 only

Votes: 59 23.5%
  • 1 week exclusive DLC of CoD will force to buy 499$ PS5

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Fornite : Ninja Edition exclusive to PS5

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Knack 3 : baby lets go

Votes: 61 24.3%

• Total voters

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean PS4 had Knack & Killzone Shadowfall and was still doing gangbusters, it won't take much.

It also had Microsoft handing them the generation on a platter. What worked for PS4 will not necessarily work for PS5.

I'm kind of surprised that what I'm saying in this thread is controversial. Some of the posts I'm reading are straight out of the 2006 "People will buy the PS3 even without any games" Arrogant Sony playbook. Like, almost word-for-word.

I don't think it would be a bad move for Sony to not take PS5 sales for granted.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowfall was masterpiece in graphics though and it was something that was mo where near possible on PS3

Can't argue against that, it was a graphics showcase.

It also had Microsoft handing them the generation on a platter. What worked for PS4 will not necessarily work for PS5.

I'm kind of surprised that what I'm saying in this thread is controversial. Some of the posts I'm reading are straight out of the 2006 "People will buy the PS3 even without any games" Arrogant Sony playbook. Like, almost word-for-word.

I don't think it would be a bad move for Sony to not take PS5 sales for granted.

I don't think they are, hence the whole no show at E3 and insider words that their teams are largely focusing on PS5.

Historically they have always had weak launches though, maybe PS5 will buck the trend.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never? As I posted above, I sincerely doubt that they'll have any PS5 exclusive titles that are up to their recent standards. One or two smaller titles, perhaps, but nothing breathtaking. That's actually pretty typical for console launches with the usual exception of one incredibly strong Nintendo title at launch. The Xbox 360 didn't exactly launch with a stellar first-party lineup (Perfect Dark Zero was pretty awful and while Kameo was surprisingly solid it was small in scope.) That was definitely Microsoft's best showing in a console generation to date.

This generation is looking like it might be a little different for everyone. It's the first time we might see true cross-generation titles, a single SKU that can take advantage of the new hardware while still delivering a solid experience on the prior generation. With the exception of the single SKU aspect, It's the trick Nintendo has used twice now to give us a memorable launch title, first with Twilight Princess and then with Breath of the Wild. Halo: Infinite looks to follow in that vein.

Will Sony do something similar? It's impossible to say for certain. It could well be that Ghost of Tsushima winds up launching alongside the new hardware. Or that the big unannounced PS4 title we've heard hinted still remains to be announced is the one that will serve that role. Or it might be that they saw strong sales of remasters early in the PS4 cycle as a sign that it doesn't really matter when the titles first come out, so long as something big budget like The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, or Ghost of Tsushima is patched to showcase new capabilities of the new hardware. We've even started to get hints from other developers that they may have something similar in mind.

With BC making a return and game development so costly I can't help but think cross-gen releases will become even more common. Sony hass always been well known for supporting its systems long after a new console comses out. The enthusiasts will buy new systems no matter what, it is the following year that really tells the story of how successful it will be.

In reality all Sony has to do is keep plugging away and do exactly what they've been doing, having at least 2 big worthwhile exclusives per year and not price the new system out of reach. $399 would be perfect but I'm expecting $499 because we want to see a real jump in new technology.

Microsoft though doess need an immediate impact, that's where Halo Infinite comes in and I would think a new Forza would also be close by. Then a steady stream of exclusives to keep the confidence level up they are here to stay and compete. Also a $399 price would be perfect but again I'm expecting soemthing closer to $499.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think there is a chance the PS5 comes out with GT7, so yeah it's posible.
Aside from this possibility I don't see the PS5 releasing with any other tentpole game.
I must say tho that I also think Sony will have at least 2 PS5 only games, among cross gen ones, for PS5 launch and with how much success they've found lately with their 1P it's not hard to imagine that they could strike their first hit with PS5 day one.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
So which do you think will sell more? TLOU2 or halo infinite? If TLOU2 ends up selling more than halo infinite, who has the bigger brand?
I think that at this point it's impossible to compare brand power by raw sales with game pass. PS4 games will always sell more because people are subbed to game pass and get it as part of the sub. It's just a different world now.

I mean, if you want, you can. You'll win, but it's super obvious it's missing the point when halo sells like 5 total units vs TLOU2s 5 million day one. If game pass didn't exist, you'd have to look at hardware sales and halo game sales, and figure out a percentage. Thatd probably be the only way to compare.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I actually do branding for living. What do you think branding is for? You build a brand and reputation to sell your products or services... If another company is outselling you and bringing in more business, your branding obviously isn't working as well as your competition.
Yeah but you're excluding ALL halo products. You're missing the toys and partnerships.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think that at this point it's impossible to compare brand power by raw sales with game pass. PS4 games will always sell more because people are subbed to game pass and get it as part of the sub. It's just a different world now.

I mean, if you want, you can. You'll win, but it's super obvious it's missing the point when halo sells like 5 total units vs TLOU2s 5 million day one. If game pass didn't exist, you'd have to look at hardware sales and halo game sales, and figure out a percentage. Thatd probably be the only way to compare.

You just look at different metrics .
All the data matter in certain context .
But more sales is more sales just like how more players is more players .

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
You just look at different metrics .
All the data matter in certain context .
But more sales is more sales just like how more players is more players .
Hard disagree. You ask anyone on here about "more players" vs raw sales and everyone on here will rag on you if 40 million players were on halo infinite with game pass out there

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we already learned this gen that hardware sales don't matter, and now we will have the same trick with software.
it's comfy to live in a world where success cannot be measured any more.

Success for who? Have fun staying in your world where there needs to be a winner at the end of the day to validate your purchase.

Hard disagree. You ask anyone on here about "more players" vs raw sales and everyone on here will rag on you if 40 million players were on halo infinite with game pass out there

Once everyone stops being shareholders we might actually get back to enjoying the games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Truth is that because raw sales leave a lot less questions.
But like i said it all depends on the context .
There are many factors to this but this thread really not about that .

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Success for who? Have fun staying in your world where there needs to be a winner at the end of the day to validate your purchase.

Once everyone stops being shareholders we might actually get back to enjoying the games.
No, we would have to let go of ResolutionGate for next gen and that will never happen

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
well, the thread title said something about countering, so my wild guess was that this implied kind of a competition, and therefore a question of winning between sony and microsoft. maybe i overreacted. sorry.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Ape Escape and a new Sly Cooper baby! behemoth combo.

Seriously tho I do expect at least one high quality exclusive at launch. Not to counter Halo(which will be available on 2 other platforms), but to pull a BOTW/Switch with their next console.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think other FPS games will be the ones "countering" Halo. CoD and Battlefield will have next-gen enhanced versions, and Destiny will probably have an update lined up for launch too.

I do think Sony will have a few exclusives for launch though. Probably considered a tough launch by Sony because it's not only MS competing but Nintendo have already done really well, and google are sniffing around too. I think they'll have Horizon 2 ready, with help from Kojima's team, and something Nintendo-esque, like a platformer or even a Dark Cloud BOTW-style.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
It will, but I think it's unannounced right now, don't think they will relay on past gen games to drive sales.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah but you're excluding ALL halo products. You're missing the toys and partnerships.

I'm genuinely curious: why are the toys and partnerships relevant to you? I don't buy toys. I can't play partnerships. It's the games I'm interested in and the consoles they run on, and virtually nothing more from these companies. (Okay, as a Microsoft shareholder with substantial holdings I guess I care somewhat but in a very different way.)

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think people automatically assuming halo is as big as it was once are taking things for granted as well.

It's going to sell systems because it's going to be a showcase for Scarlet, visually its going to be the best looking FPS on consoles by a large margin, even if you weren't impressed with the demo at E3, the combat, music with a further year in Dev its going to be the full package, for classic fans and new gamers. And Halo has a lot of classic fans.

Seriously. I'm enjoying the over confident dismissive comments to be honest, the ones that think Halo isn't a noteworthy game anymore. If anything, this gen has shown old franchises are successful if the gameplay is reinvented that honours the past, It's going to be a long wait but this thread will be bumped :)
Its not noteworthy as it was because of what they did with halo 5. There is no guarantee that halo infinite will be good. It will sell decently but I definitely don't think it will be the seller you and some others are saying

Last edited:

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I think other FPS games will be the ones "countering" Halo. CoD and Battlefield will have next-gen enhanced versions, and Destiny will probably have an update lined up for launch too.

I do think Sony will have a few exclusives for launch though. Probably considered a tough launch by Sony because it's not only MS competing but Nintendo have already done really well, and google are sniffing around too. I think they'll have Horizon 2 ready, with help from Kojima's team, and something Nintendo-esque, like a platformer or even a Dark Cloud BOTW-style.
Dark Cloud BOTW-style will happen according to 20th anniversary title but I doubt it will be ready for launch when they started last year after Ni no Kuni 2. I bet something they have had in development for a long time but moved to PS5 without anyone noticed it.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm genuinely curious: why are the toys and partnerships relevant to you? I don't buy toys. I can't play partnerships. It's the games I'm interested in and the consoles they run on, and virtually nothing more from these companies. (Okay, as a Microsoft shareholder with substantial holdings I guess I care somewhat but in a very different way.)
I was responding to that one dude. He talks of selling products and whatever as it pertains to what branding is. Toya are part of branding. That was my point

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Knack 3 will not only counter, but bury the current halo.
If he can knock Mario the fuck out, master chef ain't nothing but a peanut.

Con_Smith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we're past the point of Sony having to worry about Halo when they don't have to depend on one game to be a system mover.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I could see this, but they've already shown off GoT as a PS4 game, and honestly I think they wouldn't have done that if it was going to be a big marquee PS5 title, cross-gen or not.

Sony did both for TLOU. Marquee title for PS3, remastered cross gen version for PS4.

It remains one of the highest selling games on the system and easily outsold the ps3 edition.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Sony screwed up the ps3 launch in every way one COULD screw up a launch. The Ps3 was far more expensive than the 360, and the gap was MUCH wider than it was for PS4/XBO.

PSN was a dumpster fire next to Xbox Live, and it wasnt until they began giving games away with PS+ that the service caught on several years later.

The PS3 launched a year late, with multiplatform titles that inexplicably looked worse than what was on the 360- again, for a console that cost waaay more money.

Even with all that working against them the ps3 outsold the 360 every year it was on the market. Microsoft only managed to tie them with all of those advantages.

The PS4 steamrolling the XBO wasnt "Microsoft handing them the generation" the PS brand is simply stronger. There are just too many areas of the world where Microsoft isn't competitive and has no intention of being competitive.

There's no realistic scenario where the next Xbox "wins" against the ps4. For huge chunks of the world (much of EU, JP, and internationally elsewhere) it has no viable competition and will sell no matter what games it launches with.

The Xbox may be profitable depending on strategy and services, but 45-50 million is likely the ceiling for it.

OP
OP
flyingman

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Knack 3 will not only counter, but bury the current halo.
If he can knock Mario the fuck out, master chef ain't nothing but a peanut.
MagnificentTallLabradorretriever-size_restricted.gif

Daily reminder while this generation coming to an end.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to cite a relevant metric for Xbox going forward the answer most definitely is not total player counts. The valid measurements for the success of any given title to their new service minded focus (especially provided at such a low entry cost) would be concurrent users and active users. Online viewership will also become a more and more important metric for analysis going forward for their titles too.

There are simply too many variable that allow total player counts to be vastly inflated beyond the actual number of players engaging with the games on the level MS wants them to.

So, if y'all wanna start spouting off claims of Xbox games being massive (or BIG) or making bets you should be using these metrics. They tell us far more about the success/health of any given game on their service than player counts or sales do at this point. Which is bizarre to say of the latter but it's the truth.

Last edited:

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017

Also Halo will be supported as a Gaas, skins, Cosmetics, special events.... This throughout the gen. The Last of Us 2 will have a multiplayer, but for how long it will live.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, sure. Microsoft already stated Game Pas has had a positive impact and actually increased projection sales but of course you doubt them and think any positive news from them is just PR stuff. Why even bother having a discussion if you're so closed minded to what others are presenting.
This has nothing to do with the ways in which total player count is not a valid metric for analysis. Games pass could be helping games like Sea of Thieves sell better than anticipated but the game likely will still have a vastly higher number of "total players" than copies sold or even downloaded as they count individual accounts on the same system as a unique player. It's not a reliable metric for determining sales or Games Pass subscription.

As Nib said concurrent users (or active users) would be a far better metric to gauge the success of their games at driving their services, subscriptions or MTX. All of which seem to be MS primary goal now more than actual SW sales.

I'm sure we can spend all day thinking of ways that player count could be skewed and not reflective of a game's overall sales and revenue. However I do feel you're downplaying the value of engagement and it's overall impact on the health of the Halo franchise and the Xbox platform. If Infinite is a game that people love, high player counts will undoubtedly lead to more sales, people extending their Game Pass subscriptions, and a thriving community of MP players filling up lobbies and giving 343 revenue for continual updates. Even if someone doesn't like Infinite that much, perhaps they'll use their GP subscription to try other games and end up a fan of Gears or Ninja Theory or Sea of Thieves. There is a TON of upside to getting people to the platform.
Total player count is not engagement. Especially with these low costs of entry you're going to get a lot of people trying a game out and then bouncing right off it. That's not engagement.

Engagement metrics would be something like concurrent users or active users and yes I'd agree those are useful metrics and would tell a lot about how successful any given release has towards driving folks into the new Xbox ecosystem.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
I do think Horizon will be there for launch, but it will release for PS4 as well. I think a new Ratchet and Clank will release next year as well, but in Summer before PS5 launches. I don't think we're going to get any big first party PS5 exclusive AAA games till later in 2021. At the absolute earliest, March-May with God of War 5, though I'm not sure three years is enough time for SSM with new hardware and all.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Engagement metrics would be something like concurrent users or active users and yes I'd agree those are useful metrics and would tell a lot about how successful any given release has towards driving folks into the new Xbox ecosystem.
there are so many different possible metrics that you can interpret and weigh in every kind of sense that the question if a project recouped and was worth or not it can only be answered by infos given directly from the console companies. compared to that, npd is a transparancy paradise.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
we already learned this gen that hardware sales don't matter, and now we will have the same trick with software.
it's comfy to live in a world where success cannot be measured any more.
It's a bold new world Snyder. Master Chief is bigger than Spiderman and profitability no longer matters. We woke up in the twilight zone.

there are so many different possible metrics that you can interpret and weigh in every kind of sense that the question if a project recouped and was worth or not it can only be answered by infos given directly from the console companies. compared to that, npd is a transparancy paradise.

That's true but some metrics are still less useful than others. Total Player count is nigh on meaningless agent the cost and barriers of entry have been torn down as much as they have been. At least these other metrics provide some idea of how successful the games are at retaining players which goes along with the company's stated goals.

Yes NPD numbers are nice because they are easily digestible but the truth of the matter is that MS has essentially dismantled their ability to actually indicate profitability for their first party releases. And yea we don't really have any insight into figures that could act as a substitute for those hard easily digestible factoids that sales have been in the past which I'm sure makes these companies extremely happy because they can hide their less than stellar successes or failures that much easier.

Like I said it's a bold new world. Success has been redefined and profitability has become an impossible thing to reliably parse with the independent metrics we've historically been able to rely upon.

Last edited:

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: sorry double post again

This thread is moving way slower than I thought it was (*´Д`*)

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Horizon 2 and God of War 2 for sure. That said ps5 will be for 2021. Sony absolutely don't need to counter microsoft

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
That's true but some metrics are still less useful than others. Total Player count is nigh on meaningless agent the cost and barriers of entry have been torn down as much as they have been. At least these other metrics provide some idea of how successful the games are at retaining players which goes along with the company's stated goals.
I read the previous entries about different metrics and i agree that there's a blue ocean of delicious data out there. it should be so much fun to mess around there. is a game that attracted many new players who, in the end, did not finish it (because it was mostly shiny crap), but stayed in the subscription system, a success?
Like I said it's a bold new world. Success has been redefined and profitability has become an impossible thing to reliably parse with the independent metrics we've historically been able to rely upon.
that's what they meant with "the netflix of gaming".

May 31, 2018
The inevitable promotion of enhancements to Death Stranding, LoU2, and FF7R will be marketed as to make them look like launch titles which is completely fine because they are going to be the heaviest hitters of this year and next. There will be some launch titles built only for PS5 that will probably be mediocre as with every other console launch. After E3 next year all eyes will be on the exclusive titles releasing in 2021 more than the exclusives that'll be shoved out next fall.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bold new world Snyder. Master Chief is bigger than Spiderman and profitability no longer matters. We woke up in the twilight zone.

Yes NPD numbers are nice because they are easily digestible but the truth of the matter is that MS has essentially dismantled their ability to actually indicate profitability for their first party releases. And yea we don't really have any insight into figures that could act as a substitute for those hard easily digestible factoids that sales have been in the past which I'm sure makes these companies extremely happy because they can hide their less than stellar successes or failures that much easier.

Twilight Zone? All I need to know is if people are playing and can easily find a match online. When I log into a game like Anthem or Driveclub and can no longer access the game because the servers are closed that to me is more important than how well it sold in that month on NPD. Single player only games sure, it matters more because we want them to sell well so they can make another game. It does 343 no good if Halo sells 2 million copies the first month and then nobody plays it the next month and moves onto something else like most do with single only player titles. That's why Game Pass will give it longer legs, same with adding the PC community now and xCloud. Why the hell wouldn't those metrics matter, talk about the Twilight Zone where those metrics aren't useful.

Microsoft knows better than you or I how to run a company and what profits are needed with Sandella leading them. After all they are one of the most valued companies on the planet. But hey you as a shareholder, you tell em what matters.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Zone? All I need to know is if people are playing and can easily find a match online. When I log into a game like Anthem or Driveclub and can no longer access the game because the servers are closed that to me is more important than how well it sold in that month on NPD. Single player only games sure, it matters more because we want them to sell well so they can make another game. It does 343 no good if Halo sells 2 million copies the first month and then nobody plays it the next month and moves onto something else like most do with single only player titles. That's why Game Pass will give it longer legs, same with adding the PC community now and xCloud. Why the hell wouldn't those metrics matter, talk about the Twilight Zone where those metrics aren't useful.

Microsoft knows better than you or I how to run a company and what profits are needed with Sandella leading them. After all they are one of the most valued companies on the planet. But hey you as a shareholder, you tell em what matters.
What you are describing is engagement metrics. I was spelling out how total player count is essentially a useless metric whereas engagement metrics (concurrent, active, retention etc) are actually meaningful metrics to track and determine success by. Total player count means essentially nothing when the cost/barriers to entry have been almost entirely eliminated.

So a good example that illustrates what I'm talking about would be Anthem. Let's say EA comes out tomorrow and touts that Anthem has had more than 10 million total players. Well we both know that this does not actually give an accurate measure of how well the game is doing. The difficulties in matchmaking would indicate that player retention on those 10 million is likely very low resulting in a small pool of active users. Those two metrics of retention and active users tell us far more about the success of a game as a service style release (or subscription based service release) than total player numbers do. The latter are just a way of making the game sound as successful as they possibly can whilst glossing over the genuine issues the game is having.

TLDR: engagement metrics for service based gaming (subscription releases or GAAS ) are meaningful. Total player counts just hot air

PS. Almost all of your posts in this thread are appeal to authority fallacies. If your only real argument is that said company is big so they obviously know what they are doing that is not an argument it's a logical fallacy and you should avoid making it. If you want to debate or argue a point actually debate or argue the point instead of deferring to a stated (or inferred) authority.

I read the previous entries about different metrics and i agree that there's a blue ocean of delicious data out there. it should be so much fun to mess around there. is a game that attracted many new players who, in the end, did not finish it (because it was mostly shiny crap), but stayed in the subscription system, a success?

Well presumably a game that gets dolls into the ecosystem could be considered a success but I think it's clear that the goal is to have games that retain players and keep them locked into the ecosystem as long as possible. Currently it's a kitchen sink type affair where such a scenario might seem reasonable but in the future I doubt that's will be feasible and as the options become more profitably sourced we will likely see more and more reliance on specific titles having playerbases that subscribe solely for that particular game. Retention will become more and more important of a metric for these services as time goes on.

game pass is in fact a sanctuary for underperforming games. it's great that nadella still finds enough time to care about charity besides running a company.
Yes Sandella is just great like that. Unlike his awful aunt Sindel. She's the worst.

see quoted text at top for context
that's what they meant with "the netflix of gaming".
This is why you're the best. Bite sized distilled nuggets of truth coated with the sharp sweetness of humor. <3

Last edited:

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
We're barely a year away.

If it was Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or Bloodborne 2, we'd have at least gotten a teaser trailer by now I think.

Sadly, I don't know if we'll get a big launch game, let alone one as big as Halo.