• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The mafia loves making easy money from exploiting addiction. I don't need to mention any examples.

Right now exploiting addiction (gambling) with lootboxes is a huge deal in the gaming industry.
Publishers are making billions of dollars out of hardly no effort at all after the main product is done. They are basically printing money themselves. Hundreds of millions of dollars are flying into their accounts every month while they take it easy in their offices, maybe watching youtube videos most of the day. All they have to do is to code a few skins or a map every month or two.

Personally I find it strange that the Mafia hasn't tried to get in on the AAA-lootbox cake yet. They just need to outsource a game and get a hit, and there you go - the mafia will become a part of the gaming industry and once they do, do not expect them to go away. A game like PUBG could easily have been outsourced to China by the mafia, and become a hit.

Do you think it will happen sooner or later? Sadly, I think we are not far away from it, I think many groups are already planning stuff. There is no way they will miss out on all this free money.

It is already famous in the mobile gaming industry that many microtransaction/lootbox games are 100% funded by the mafia, will the next step be AAA games?

What can we do to prevent this?

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to laugh at the premise of the thread.

Then I remembered yakuza + pachinko connections.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The mafia loves making easy money from exploiting addiction. I don't need to mention any examples.

Right now exploiting addiction (gambling) with lootboxes is a huge deal in the gaming industry.
Publishers are making billions of dollars out of hardly no effort at all. They are basically printing money themselves. Hundreds of millions of dollars are flying into their accounts every month while they take it easy in their offices, maybe watching youtube videos most of the day.

Personally I find it strange that the Mafia hasn't tried to get in on the AAA-lootbox cake yet. They just need to outsource a game and get a hit, and there you go - the mafia will become a part of the gaming industry and once they do, do not expect them to go away.

Do you think it will happen sooner or later? Sadly, I think we are not far away from it, and I think many groups are already planning stuff. There is no way they will miss out on all this free money.

It is already famous in the mobile gaming industry that many games are 100% funded by the mafia, will the next step be AAA games?

What can we do to prevent this?
I am honestly not even sure where to start with this.

Video games have been used for money laundering long before lootboxes and if anything it's a lot harder to do it now. How exactly are you proposing this works? How are they getting into lootboxes? Can you draw a line between the mafia and the cash output here?

Judging from that sentence about how publishers are just watching Youtube videos all day, I am going to guess this is a thing you haven't really thought out and are just mad as all gosh darn heck and wanted to express it with weird scare tactics. Lootboxes suck enough. If you don't actually know what you're proposing, I don't think it's wise to keep proposing it.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Will the Mafia have a content-producing arm and they just pitch costumes and skins and shit to publishers and ask for a cut if they put it in their game? lmao

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They already have been using things like CSGO keys, etc to launder some money afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.