What do yuo think?

• Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

Votes: 101 6.0%
  • No, they should judge the game by its own merits.

Votes: 1,571 93.9%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Too keep this short, the world is going through a challenging time with the Corona Virus pandemic. And Resident Evil 3 deals with a virus outbreak that destroy the city of Raccoon City.

There is no need to go through all the differences between the two virus, their effects and how fictional all of RE3 is, but the point is that some people might feel particular sensitive to the subject, to the extend that it might affect their time with Capcom's lastest remake.

That is beyond anyone's control, so my question is not if reviewers should be affected on a personal level while playing the game, it is if they should allow that to reflect on their overall judgement of the game. Personally I feel that although an object analysis of anything is impossible, striving for it is not. And that is what I expect from a good reviewer, an attempt to be as object as possible, to see the game as it is as much as one can. That is a difference between a proper review and a simple impression.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not.

People want entertainment at the moment.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think reviewers are going to judge the game's merit because of the current pandemic.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Last time I checked, covid 19 wasn't turning people into Zombies.
I think diehards are too focused on the T-Virus nonsense instead of looking at the zombie outbreak scenario. That's all it is. That troupe is so sanitized and cliche, it should be controversial at all.

Mar 29, 2018
I don't think the word "should" should come into it.

But people's perception of this stuff will absolutely be impacted. Flippant or fantastical content about viruses is already feeling a bit weird to listen to/watch.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
should effect or can effect? reviewers won't have a choice but to review the game in their current state of minds.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I think if it happens to be the case that it was difficult to play at this particular time that is worthy to point out, and useful to those that may similarly not want to play something like that right now (or equally as well, really do want to play something like that to have some agency over it)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is a fictitious take on a bioengineered pandemic that released 20+ years ago. So no, they're not trying to profit fro this situation.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No. This is as absurd as the thread suggesting Capcom delay the game because of the pandemic. A viral zombie outbreak isn't remotely the same as Covid-19.

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile
Well, considering the Venture Beat reviewer said of Half life Alyx it was a great virtual reality game but at the wrong time I wouldn't be surprised if what you say happened.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are no zombies wandering around the streets. This is a spurious correlation at best and absurd to even consider.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If we can make games about war, which is a tragic reality of the world, I don't see why we can't make games that only kind of resemble a disease outbreak that's topical. Reviewers should absolutely not consider the COVID situation for RE3.

Oct 28, 2017
If reviewers can't review the game objectively and purely on what the game is, then they shouldn't be doing the job. Coronavirus should have no relevance to how Resi 3 is reviewed. If the game is great, the reviews should reflect that, and vice versa if it isn't.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't think the word "should" should come into it.

But people's perception of this stuff will absolutely be impacted. Flippant or fantastical content about viruses is already feeling a bit weird to listen to/watch.
should effect or can effect? reviewers won't have a choice but to review the game in their current state of minds.

That's why I used should.

The answer to can if affect is obivous: yes. That's what I meant when I said it's outside people's control. But then, if you're paid to review a game, I think you should try to manage this.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They can do what they want and bring the news into their reviews. Not trying to shit post.

Reviewers can also talk about Trump and global warming in their FF VII review. We can criticise if it's a bad review too.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The editor in chief at US Gamer thinks the current pandemic should be part of their review and supports the GamesBeat Half Life Alyx review.

twitter.com

Kat Bailey on Twitter

“@MannyCalavera12 @USgamernet @capcom Oh yeah, I’m just gonna pretend that the pandemic has absolutely no bearing on how people might read the game 🙄”

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Should not, but they can. The Venturebeat review of Half-Life: Alyx is valid because critics are only human, and since they judge a product based on their impressions and that ends up, whether they want it or not, coming from the mind of a living being in our current world, it's inevitable that some scores will be affected by how things are nowadays.

AldabraRail

Banned
Sep 25, 2019
I'm not really interested in game reviews as product reviews, but it's not going to affect the game's IGN score, if that's what you're asking. I'm sure playing it in a quarantine will come up in the text of a lot of reviews.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Last time I checked, covid 19 wasn't turning people into Zombies.

Nope, just into idiots
Untitled-design-291.png

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Ultimately reviewers are free to judge a game in any way that they would like. Reviews are subjective takes on a piece of art, and it will inevitably be affected by the current state of culture, and the world. If a reviewer feels that their experience of the game was affected by COVID-19, then that is simply the way it is and that will reflect in the review. I would personally not consider such a review in my decision to play the game, and you are free to do the same, but we should never encourage a reviewer to lie about their experience of a game just because you want it to a have a high metascore, or to uphold som facade of objectivity.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think reviewers are going to judge the game's merit because of the current pandemic.
I voted yes, but I'd rather have a third option, they do what they want.

This isn't meant to be a freedom of speech defense, but it's their choice as writers if and how they want to integrate the news into their writing.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Some Reviewers love to shove their heads far up their asses when reviewing games. So while it shouldnt have an affect on reviews. It will. Some will do it simply for extra clicks

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Fuck it. Why not? Yes they absolutely should be talking about their real life experience when reviewing this game.

That's absolutely what people want to know when playing this video game.

Why the fuck not?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The editor in chief at US Gamer thinks the current pandemic should be part of their review and supports the GamesBeat Half Life Alyx review.

twitter.com

Kat Bailey on Twitter

“@MannyCalavera12 @USgamernet @capcom Oh yeah, I’m just gonna pretend that the pandemic has absolutely no bearing on how people might read the game 🙄”
Speak about mental gymnastics. What a leap in logic to pin zombies with Covid-19. It's a misreading of the game, despite the themes broadly connecting if you try to exaggerate them as much as possible. Honestly seems callous to even project current day events to RE3, it's unhelpful.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I voted yes, but I'd rather have a third option, they do what they want.

This isn't meant to be a freedom of speech defense, but it's their choice as writers if and how they want to integrate the news into their writing.
Yeah, I guess that's where I land too. Of course some will mention COVID-19 in their reviews. But I don't think it's generally going to affect the way most of them review the game.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Ultimately reviewers are free to judge a game in any way that they would like. Reviews are subjective takes on a piece of art, and it will inevitably be affected by the current state of culture, and the world. If a reviewer feels that their experience of the game was affected by COVID-19, then that is simply the way it is and that will reflect in the review. I would personally not consider such a review in my decision to play the game, and you are free to do the same, but we should never encourage a reviewer to lie about their experience of a game just because you want it to a have a high metascore, or to uphold som facade of objectivity.

They are subjective, but objectivity is not simply a a facade. It's something a professional reviewer should strive for in many ways.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it never fails to amaze me that I pay nothing to have an account on here, given the amount of entertainment I get from reading these galaxy brain takes

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh I mean if they want to connect their current experience to the experience they had while playing the game, I think that's fine? It's their review so they should talk about their experience as they like

Edit: What a reviewer can and should do is avoid pitfalls such as conflicts of interest, misinformation, plagiarism, and so on. But if the current world situation affects their read of the game, whether positively or negatively? I see no reason why they can't let that their review reflect that read. And if that reading of the game doesn't resonate with an individual reader, they're more than welcome to find another review that's more in line with what they're looking for.

It all ties back to the oft repeated mantra: everything is political. We can't separate the game from the environment it was released in. While nobody is obligated to comment on that relationship, anybody who thinks it's relevant should be encouraged to do so. To argue otherwise while touting the merits of some vague concept of objectivity is embarrassing, IMO.

Last edited:

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Should Capcom Delay the RE3 Remake due to the Pandemic?

Given how the reaction has been to the pandemic worldwide with such devastation to lives around the world and what the game represents (a violent virus outbreak that destroys humanity) should Capcom delay it? What do you think? Update: Glad to see an overwhelming majority know that it is fine...

The numbers don't lie. Thousands don't care. This poll will show the same. Yet reviewed will pander and think we care and want this rhetoric in reviews.

It is as weak a point as saying a game is too violent or saying military shooters shouldn't represent events that happen daily.